• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I can see why, but its obvious they learned their lesson with Brawl...
I still have yet to see evidence of this. Learned their lesson? Hardly. Everyone praised Brawl for "fixing" everything in Melee, but it came out and bored everyone to tears.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
I still have yet to see evidence of this. Learned their lesson? Hardly. Everyone praised Brawl for "fixing" everything in Melee, but it came out and bored everyone to tears.
I don't see Smash Up so much as a fix for Brawl as a different approach. The differences are large enough that the lessons learned might not even apply in large part to the direction they're taking Smash Up. I'm optimistic, but want to get my hands on the game for a while before claiming what's better/worse than Brawl in it.

That said, I doubt the game will be worse off without tripping. And it is encouraging to hear the developers say that they're trying to better Brawl's online experience.

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
Theres simply no way this game can top any Smash Bros. Theres no way it could offer the same amount of crazy fun Smash does. Im sure this will join the ranks among the worst TMNT games.

§leepy God

Smash Master
even then when they claim it will be better, it just ends up being buggy due to last minute programming errors and then disappointment from players.

perfect example case: King of Fighters 12.
Aw man, you don't know how pissed I was for buying that game. I played it twice on Live and never touched it since. Also why do I have to buy Mia? XD

Theres simply no way this game can top any Smash Bros. Theres no way it could offer the same amount of crazy fun Smash does. Im sure this will join the ranks among the worst TMNT games.
**** hope, let's just all give up on this game for even being good and noticeable right now. /sarcasm

I don't believe this game would be better than Smash Bros is already because of the characters, fan base, etc. It's been forever since TMNT had a game to come out that's noticeable since Turtles in Time Re-Shelled was a great idea, until they made the levels nearly the same with no new levels but 3-D, and bosses are harder and you can set the difficult level, then people got mad for spending around $10 for it because it's too smiler without the same charm.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Aw man, you don't know how pissed I was for buying that game. I played it twice on Live and never touched it since. Also why do I have to buy Mia? XD
i bought it, had people playtest it, i playtest myself, read forums regarding how sucky (even patching, and 360 owners wait awhile while ps3 gets updates immediately cuz microsoft is an *** about approval processes just to send out an update), gamestop refused to aaccept returns for opened games, play-n-trade accepted a trade in and got half value back.

thats why there exists pirates and such playtesting and posting, and **** gamestop

nevershootme

Smash Master
cool stuff on writing the guide. are u allowed on answering these questions or you're not allowed to until the game is released.

-How customizable are the controls? are they as is like brawl where u can map grab to another button or having "tap jump" off

-What is the buffer input for this game? is it like melee (where precision is important to execute attacks and movement) or brawl (where the inputs are looser yet there may be room for error when doing desired inputs, such as stopping a run and if u let it go and tap attack u do a dash attack)

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
I'm really looking forward to your strat guide now drdogg. I haven't bought a guide in years, but this definitely sounds like it'll be worth it.

Especially since the TMNT Smash Up community here is bound to be slow on it's feet until we get a subboard.

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
First video of the Rabbids Go Home stage and cruise ship stage as well, I think. Still, glad to see that the Technodrome will actually be part of the action and not just firing randomly from the background.

The game comes out in only a month, though, and there's still a fair number of characters left to reveal. Wonder how long it's going to be until we get the next character vignette...

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I want this game to be good. I'm so tired of Brawl, and I'm ready to pick up something new.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Holy crap... tag battles are gonna be SICK.

I think this game is gonna beat brawl, and I mean it!

Booya I can already imagine the shredder + Leonardo combos!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519

Tony_

Smash Ace
Tag battles remind of Marvel quite a bit. It might be the thing it needs to set its self apart from Smash.

It all depends though on what characters would be broken together.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Tag battles remind of Marvel quite a bit. It might be the thing it needs to set its self apart from Smash.

It all depends though on what characters would be broken together.
Well, there probably won't be any "broken" teams in a tag battle mode. It's more likely that the best teams will cover the most matchups the best. I highly doubt there's any move in the game other than the tag throws that will give you a chance to attack from a tag out. There also don't seem to be any assist type attacks like in Marvel, so it doesn't seem to be a huge difference between a normal game except for the addition of a second character.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I wonder if items will be on for tourney play? They don't look broken enough to be banned like Smash Bros items were most items are game breakers. And I still wish I knew the release date in Japan. T_T ♥

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
♣ I wonder if items will be on for tourney play? They don't look broken enough to be banned like Smash Bros items were most items are game breakers. And I still wish I knew the release date in Japan. T_T ♥
The game's competitive future depends its reception, and the mods here being open to fostering a Smash Up community. If we're limited only to this thread, and get TMNT threads locked on the tournament board, chances will be slim to none.

Though I'd like to think that if the game's good enough, people will find means. That could mean branching off from Smashboards ... something I'd rather not see happen unless it becomes an inevitability.

As for the items, I think there's more potential for it in tournament play than Smash Bros at least. Being able to stock up on them means there's more room for strategic use. But at the same time, some of them do look pretty cheap (especially the giant electricity ring of continual damage). Changing which ninja power you want with the pointer also presents another problem if they aren't balanced. And in the videos so far, they haven't dropped frequently enough to give both players ample opportunity to stock up.

They also look a little too far removed from the normal combat IMO. I don't really get the Powerstone vibe in them that Ubisoft says they were inspired by.

... At the very least, Pizza will be a no-go.

Tony_

Smash Ace
The game's competitive future depends its reception, and the mods here being open to fostering a Smash Up community. If we're limited only to this thread, and get TMNT threads locked on the tournament board, chances will be slim to none.

Though I'd like to think that if the game's good enough, people will find means. That could mean branching off from Smashboards ... something I'd rather not see happen unless it becomes an inevitability.

As for the items, I think there's more potential for it in tournament play than Smash Bros at least. Being able to stock up on them means there's more room for strategic use. But at the same time, some of them do look pretty cheap (especially the giant electricity ring of continual damage). Changing which ninja power you want with the pointer also presents another problem if they aren't balanced. And in the videos so far, they haven't dropped frequently enough to give both players ample opportunity to stock up.

They also look a little too far removed from the normal combat IMO. I don't really get the Powerstone vibe in them that Ubisoft says they were inspired by.

... At the very least, Pizza will be a no-go.
I doubt the mods here would be open to fostering this game. It was made by the Brawl devs, which Brawl players hate in an ironic twist.

The items need to be tested IN a tournament setting first before we see whether or not they are broken. Casual play IMO, doesn't really count, only tournament play does. Brawl players didn't test items in a tournament setting properly, now look what happened to it. "Play it this way or your a scrub!" Its honestly stupid.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Brawl players didn't test items in a tournament setting properly, now look what happened to it.
I'd disagree about that actually. There was a strong movement here to bring items back into tournament play when the game first released. Problem was, like Melee, no one could come to a consensus on which to ban and leave off. Those that tried to reach one left out so many out that it sort of defeated the point. There were plenty of tests and item tournaments in the beginning ... but hosts ultimately decided not to host many item tourneys (often because of poor turnout), which was really the tipping point.

That's said, Smash Up's a new game. I think the direction Game Arts is taking them is much more commendable than Smash Balls. I'd be all for giving items a shot in the game competitively; due to the changes the game deserves that much.

But I'm still concerned that they'll be an obstruction to the game's balance and pacing. Especially considering that there's a finite health bar now.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
September has a good amount of Nintendo games I want to get, (Muramasa, Mario & Luigi, Smash Up). Though Muramasa is going to be the best of them all, I still like to see how Smash Up plays.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
After reading only a few bits of comments on this game, it seems like everyone is already doubting it. I think this game is going to be good. We have the turtles, which, who doesn't like? We have Smash Bros. style, again, who doesn't like? And, from what I have read on other sites, it seems they are going for more ground attacks. Seems like a good game in the making. And only, like, a month.

Also, I am sure this is already posted in this thread, but people need to check out the Turtle Dojo. I see Turtle Freak in here, so I know it has to be posted. Very simple address. Turtledojo.com. Join up. I think that with the members of smashboards, we will be able to see this game in a very different, and in-depth, view.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I hope the local game rental shops carry this game when it comes out. I still lack the faith to make a purchase.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
Leo vs Raph on the Japanese Castle stage at Gamescom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6MvecjUcA

Thanks for the plug, BigRed. I've actually been hesitating to post a link because I don't want to break the rules or anything... But yeah, a lot of us are wanting to build a community around this game. I hope Smash Boards will eventually open a section for it, but in the meantime, anyone interested can check us out.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Anytime, bro. Anyways, there is one thing that I am worried about with this game. Is it not coming out on the same day as Halo 3: ODST? If so, it may take time for other to purchase it. I mean, Halo has a HUGE fanbase. I am just wanting to see this game make it bigger than some are predicting.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Is it? I haven't been herein quite a while...

EDIT: And IGN just put it up yesterday, so.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Leo vs Raph on the Japanese Castle stage at Gamescom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6MvecjUcA

Thanks for the plug, BigRed. I've actually been hesitating to post a link because I don't want to break the rules or anything... But yeah, a lot of us are wanting to build a community around this game. I hope Smash Boards will eventually open a section for it, but in the meantime, anyone interested can check us out.
Wow. Raph is probably the best turtle based on that video alone. He's probably better than most of the characters too.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow. Raph is probably the best turtle based on that video alone. He's probably better than most of the characters too.
Personally I'd think Don would be the best fighter because he's got the range and he can rapidly strike forward with his Bo.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
There is a new section in the Turtle Dojo. It has a lot of information, so that is why I am not going to post all of it here, just the link instead. Either discuss there if you have an account, or in here. I am just looking for other people's input. Hopefully positive, but I am expecting negative from some. :laugh:

http://turtledojo.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
There is a new section in the Turtle Dojo. It has a lot of information, so that is why I am not going to post all of it here, just the link instead. Either discuss there if you have an account, or in here. I am just looking for other people's input. Hopefully positive, but I am expecting negative from some. :laugh:

http://turtledojo.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61
Thanks for the plug. And yeah, I didn't post it here because it wouldn't make much sense to in a thread like this.

I think people just need to realize that this is shaping up to be a very different game from Brawl. There are some things on the list I might consider negatives, but being hung up on them doesn't make much sense considering how much else has changed as well.

All the more reason why I can't wait to try it.

Top Bottom