• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussions Directory (Old)

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Yeah excellent work Viet! The front page looks so organised and official now. Maybe you should put the word "official" in the title (it deserves it). Why the other thread is still a sticky I'll never work out.

Regarding the Ratios, I do strongly encourage any TL player who thinks otherwise to give their input either here or in the respective thread, because ratios didn't seem too neccesary to be discussed at the time, in comparison to helpful advice and stragegies.

I'm going to try and do another one of these now! I'm motivated :p

EDIT: Falco is done!

Match-up #6: Falco

Character Overview:
Falco Lombardi was often overshadowed by his Starfox counterpart - Fox - in Melee, but in Brawl is considered the most tournament viable character of the series. Falco is certainly a Top Tier contender and will give Toon Link one heck of a fight. Although our boy may have every projectile under the sun, Falco’s laser and reflector make camping futile and force Toon to approach. One of Falco’s biggest strength is his amazing chain grab which can lead into a dair spike, as well as build up mass damage.

Toon Link’s Advantages/Strategies
- Toon’s zair will hit Falco out of his phantasm (his primary recovery method). This can force Falco to use his Firefox (Up Special) which can often lead to a gimp. Zair work’s well for approaching as well, but is outranged slightly by Falco’s reflector.
- Nair can be used as a “faster fair” to get Falco off the stage in an attempt to gimp
- Try to recover above Falco, it will give you more of an advantage
- If this isn’t possible remember Uair > Falco’s Dair (which Falco’s love to abuse) so use it when trying to recover if Falco thinks he can gimp you.
- Bombs aren’t set off or made to explode by Falco’s laser so try to have one handy as much as possible, pull one out at every chance possible, etc. Bombs also aren’t reflected by Falco’s Down Special
- If his reflector gives you problems, time any attack properly and it will stop it. Fair is easiest since it has a huge vertical hitbox. Nair/Bair works so as long as it is timed and angled correctly.
- If you see a reflector coming and you can block the hit it with your shield, it should be a free grab
- Once you invade Falco’s space, hit him with some bairs and nairs and try to generally stay in the air.
- For Counterpicks, Delfino and Rainbow Cruise are great. Delfino is probably better since the end of Rainbow Cruise starts getting ******** for both players. Both Falco and TL kill mostly vertically or via gimps so the Counterpicks just counter Falco's situational and often gimpable recovery.

Toon Link Disadvantages/What to look out for
- Falco’s SHDL (short hop double laser), when done perfectly will outcamp Toon Link
- The second laser shot from the SHDL when performed perfectly is called a “silent laser.” This is because Falco doesn’t have a shooting animation (just the laser) and therefore the silent laser is lagless. Additionally, the silent laser can’t be blocked by the hero’s shield
- If Falco is not below the imaginary horizontal line which connects to the ledge (meaning, he can’t use his phantasm to recover) don’t go offstage to gimp him, as the Side B can spike
- Watch out for when Falco turns his back to you, as this usually means a bair is coming your way. Bair is arguably Falco’s best aerial and can kill at moderately high percents
- If done properly Falco’s chain grab can deal up to 40% (60% with the gatling combo?) but can be escaped if not performed correctly. Don’t get grabbed.
- Ban Final Destination. SHDL spam should be avoided where possible.

Conclusion
Falco’s ability to render two of Toon Link’s biggest Trump Cards - his projectiles and zair - almost useless (or at least limited when compared to how much TL spams them in other match-ups) is enough in itself to give Falco the advantage. However, once Toon gets in close with bombs and aerials he is in a good position to set up a gimp or at least deal some damage. The general consensus seems to be 55:45 in favour of Falco.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
i always love seeing the ratios.

because when you find numbers that don't apply to you, it makes you feel special.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I made a Compact Universal Matchup Template for you to use, if you want to use it. Just add in the Title/Numbers yourself, and whatever else you want to do with it. If you want me to make you a more Unique design, then PM me with a Rough estimate of what you want.

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to add if snake wants to ftilt lock you or add some jabs in between his ftlit, you can jump and the first ftilt hit will knock you away.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Probably cause its badass and his a link to his thread about match-ups in the first page..

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Ahh, didnt catch that xD. Well, you should put in your tips that using purple toon link highers your chances of winning greatly =]

Santi

Smash Lord
Ahh, didnt catch that xD. Well, you should put in your tips that using purple toon link highers your chances of winning greatly =]
Pshhh.

I might put that Red is the color of a warrior TL and will immedietly make your opponent think of Santi and Sh*T their pants
=)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Pshhh.

I might put that Red is the color of a warrior TL and will immedietly make your opponent think of Santi and Sh*T their pants
=)
The color red also gets the girls horny and makes them take their pants off.

True Story.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lmao.
TL boards should be a reality show.

nowatimsayin?

Santi

Smash Lord
Haha alright, time to take this spam out of VietGeek's thread.
TO HIS SPAM THREAD!
GENERAL DISCUSSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Does anyone want to do match-up summaries? We're about over the half-way line so an early start would be nice.

Vanderzant left off at Luigi. We're going to rediscuss that one soon probably, but if anyone could start off from Pit, that would be amazing.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Well though it might seem pointless, we do need to know how to deal with any of our moves, our spam etc.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It isn't pointless by any means, although no one in their right mind should be doing dittos in this game.

Because every single one of them not involving Ganondorf or Captain Falcon is simply ****ed up.

It will, however, be the last discussion thread we have. However, it will be postponed for refinements in older match-up threads.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Toon Link owns everyone Toondiddy.
JK
I'd say... Iunno. Jiggs I guess. No projectiles. Short reach.

ZenRaika

Smash Rookie
I understand that the Samus match up is still being discussed, but what I want to know is are these match up ratios permanent since it has been decided or will the ratios change over time?

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Match up ratios don't matter.
Not that much anyways.

But they can be changed, because new techniques are discovered, etc.

Top Bottom