• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ToS Presents: CLASH OF THE TITANS 4 - Philadelphia, PA - Feb 7/8 NATIONAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
thats all good and fine...but i know it better be more than top 2 for pools or you gonna have alot of angry people on your hands. and with 200+ there, and alot being at least more than half...you might wanna hire some bodyguards

lightxdream

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, what the hell's with top 2? Did you take it into account that good players from ****ing Texas and Montreal are coming? Hell, Reflex is driving 14 hours from Alabama. <_<
He is probably changing it based on the number of people.

Im thinking of doing apex with 4 ppl in a pool with top 1 advancing

anyways I got a lot of ims from ny/nj about doing commentary and helping out. I wanted to see if I can cause I do like to commentate and do it super serious and stuff but if I am not allowed that's fine

btw if anyone is coming early I am having a monthly tournament called ROAD TO VIRIDIAN CITY that is going to be 1st week of march ( check my Atlantic north) and it would be a great time to practice.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Help Out CoT4 Livestreaming!

I'm going to be working out some of the livestream stuff on the technology side of things, so i will be running a test livestream sometime tonight between 10 and 10:30 (EST, aka, in around an hour). i will test having the wii playing on the tv, put on the livestream with commentary, having it be recorded, and have it be on a projector. i want as many ppl as possible to join the livestream when i do it so i can make sure the server and connection can handle it fine and the quality keeps up

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
2 from each pool? thats some ol bulls**t...throwing down 80+ bucks to go to this, and considering my luck watch me get stuck in a pool with like f**kin ninjalink, AZ, ally and *insert random pro here* ¬_¬

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Top 3 seems like a fair balance between speed and leniency for death pools.

Who agrees with me?

CO18

Smash Hero
Im not even going and the pools sound dumb. Id be mad coming all the way oos just to get eliminated that quickly

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Ok seriously, I want an answer to my question.

Is polls top 2 or not?

Also, wasnt it always To 4 for polls? Even pond three did this and everyone out thier mother went to that.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
TOP 2 FROM POOLS IS NOT NECESSARILY HOW IT IS RIGHT NOW
READ:

iv said this multiple times, but ppl seem to miss it from the insane amount of posts here.

i wont know for sure how its gonna work until i c how many ppl enter singles.

however, please seriously think about it and imagine urself in my situation. 200+ ppl at the tournament (iv been using 200 for all my estimations). how do i eliminate down to 64 or fewer for a bracket? also, pools need to be a power of 2 for seeding to be done effectively and perfect.

if i can get enough time for 2 rounds of singles, then its easy. eliminate down to 96 (32 pools 3 ppl advance), then eliminate to 48 (16 pools 3 advance).

if i cant do 2 rounds of singles pools, then it would prob be top 2 advance to a 64 person bracket.

since i have never ran a tourney with this many ppl (not many have lol), i had asked nealdt his thoughts on it, and was the one that originally suggested to me about doing the top 2 advance deal. i know its annoying, cause im effected as well. does it greatly hinder my ability to make it out of pools? hell yea it does. but we also have to remember here, we cant have everyone that wants to make it to the final bracket of a 200+ national tourney.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I would rather just have a gigantic bracket and no pools then top 2 advance honestly. It would be faster then pools.

The point of pools is to seed, not to knock out 90% of the tournament before it starts. There is nothing wrong with having Byes in the brackets, just award those to players who get 1st and 2nd in their pool and have either top 3 or 4 advance.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Meh, I can live with pools and top 2 advancing. Everyone should realize that it is still more than what would occur in a double elimination bracket. I just hope the pools and data are posted on TIO, because I'm sure there will be some insane pool matches/results. Also, if it is top 2, then I hop it is still 3 stock pools. I did 2 stock pools at some recent tournaments and the game is just SOOO different in 2 stock.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
So if there are 32 pools, all of the following players probably need to be split up. From what I've seen, these guys are the top players of their region and putting two of them in one pool would probably be them automatically taking those two spots.

Sadaharu Inui
NinjaLink
teh_spamerer
Snakeee
Atomsk
AlphaZealot
Mew2King
Azen
Chudat
Ally
Holy
Boss
TheReflexWonder
Dojo
KingAce
Lee Martin
Melee1
Hylian
Bum
SK92
Le THieN
Seibrik
lain
G-reg
Anther

That's 25 players right there. If those are 25 pool leaders right there, then 7 more have yet to be determined. And that means that another 32 players all have a chance to get into the bracket.

So it will probably be tough to get in, but as far as death pools are concerned...they probably will be avoided most of the time.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
You still have to seed the pools if only top 2 advance, and you have to seed them really well...otherwise you're gonna have a lot of angry customers

Personally I feel like the best way to do pools is a 48 man bracket- the top seeds get byes. top 3 advance from 16 pools. This or do a gargantuan double elim bracket. The bracket would be more fun honestly.

meepxzero

Smash Master
So if there are 32 pools, all of the following players probably need to be split up. From what I've seen, these guys are the top players of their region and putting two of them in one pool would probably be them automatically taking those two spots.

Sadaharu Inui
NinjaLink
teh_spamerer
Snakeee
Atomsk
AlphaZealot
Mew2King
Azen
Chudat
Ally
Holy
Boss
TheReflexWonder
Dojo
KingAce
Lee Martin
Melee1
Hylian
Bum
SK92
Le THieN
Seibrik
lain
G-reg
Anther

That's 25 players right there. If those are 25 pool leaders right there, then 7 more have yet to be determined. And that means that another 32 players all have a chance to get into the bracket.

So it will probably be tough to get in, but as far as death pools are concerned...they probably will be avoided most of the time.
im not on that list and i beat 3/4 of the top players in that region last tourney :confused:

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
anthony do you know how biased that lists is...

also I agree with hylian a gigantice bracket wouldn't be that bad I mean look at c3 that tourny ran smoothly and it was about 100 ppl there.

granted the brackets weren't seeded as well as they should have been but with more ppl looking over the bracket to ensure its correct then it should be good.

or at least do one round of pools with like top 4 advance into the brackets.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
lol co18 i'm apparently in your combo vid. too bad you can't come to this so i can money match you xD

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Like I said, I would strongly prefer a giant bracket over top 2 advance from pools.

By FAR though I would like top 4 advance from pools into bracket. I have been to a LOT of 100+ person tournaments and they have all been done this way. The 200+ person events I have attended have been 3 days lol.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I like the big bracket idea.. except what would we do on the first day?!

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Also, everyone from texas going with me is about as good or better then I am.

I'm serious.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
good point to whoever said it about seeding. i kno were obviously doing it for seeding, but that makes sense more now that i think about it. we would only have 2 ranks of seeds, which doesnt help much at all... hmmmm....

ok im really going to shoot for the 2 rounds of pools (1st round - 32 pools top 3 adv, 2nd round 16 pools top 3 adv), going to the 48 person bracket cause that makes 4 skill levels. the 1 2 and 3 seeds, and the 16 byes as 4th seed. thats some seeding right there.

top 3 advancing from a pool of 6 or so ppl is good, which is eliminating just over 50% of the ppl

ok yea thats officially what im aiming for. as for running pools, like the first round with 32 of em, itl be like this.

u need to get pools done fast cause if they dont ppl get bored and dont do their matches. so it will be done in 2 waves. this is assuming we have 32 tvs. i will announce the first 16 pools and they will all play with 2 TVs per pool. this will run fast. first wave finishes, 2nd wave starts. this would run faster than all 32 pools playing at the same time with 1 tv per pool. good stuff.

as for the livestream test im gonna hook everything up in like 5 min, so maybe like 20 min from now or something itl b rdy

CO18

Smash Hero
lol co18 i'm apparently in your combo vid. too bad you can't come to this so i can money match you xD
XD yeah that clip was really really old.

Wish I could too, have the money now but my sister has her baby shower this saturday and the most screwed up thing is I planned on going to whobo since I had to miss this then my sister is having ANOTHER babyshower the weekend of hobo where basically my entire family will be there.

It's like wtf are the chances.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
good point to whoever said it about seeding. i kno were obviously doing it for seeding, but that makes sense more now that i think about it. we would only have 2 ranks of seeds, which doesnt help much at all... hmmmm....

ok im really going to shoot for the 2 rounds of pools (1st round - 32 pools top 3 adv, 2nd round 16 pools top 3 adv), going to the 48 person bracket cause that makes 4 skill levels. the 1 2 and 3 seeds, and the 16 byes as 4th seed. thats some seeding right there.

top 3 advancing from a pool of 6 or so ppl is good, which is eliminating just over 50% of the ppl

ok yea thats officially what im aiming for. as for running pools, like the first round with 32 of em, itl be like this.

u need to get pools done fast cause if they dont ppl get bored and dont do their matches. so it will be done in 2 waves. this is assuming we have 32 tvs. i will announce the first 16 pools and they will all play with 2 TVs per pool. this will run fast. first wave finishes, 2nd wave starts. this would run faster than all 32 pools playing at the same time with 1 tv per pool. good stuff.

as for the livestream test im gonna hook everything up in like 5 min, so maybe like 20 min from now or something itl b rdy
I brought up the point that pools are supposed to seed people, not just knock people out lol. I have a ton of experience with 100+ person tournaments and helping with pools >_>. I've actually never been to a brawl tournament that I wasn't the pool leader in I think >_>...wait..I don't remember for FAST lol.

Either way, top 3 out of 6 advancing into top 3 out of 6 again is perfect chibo.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
How many TVs well be at this anyway. If there will be alot, just make it a huge bracket. You can start it right after teams since teams end quit. And do singles. and if we have to go, save who is still in singles and finish it on sunday. I say we vote on this.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Trust me everyone, doing 2 rounds of pools of 6 with top 3 advancing from each is amazingly fun. Much better then a huge bracket. You get to play a ton of people and still have a competitive bracket to look forward to. I've been in a 118 person bracket before and it's not as fun as you think. You have to wait FOREVER to play.

READ THIS POST.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
IM NOT DOING A HUGE BRACKET

do you guys realize how much of a bad idea that is? seriously. how impossible it would be to seed every player from across the country many of which who have never played before and how many ppl will be steamin' from traveling and paying money for a national tourney where they may end up playing only 2 sets if they arent good. and what if we have 257 ppl? were not doing a 512 person bracket with 255 byes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom