• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ToS Presents: CLASH OF THE TITANS 4 - Philadelphia, PA - Feb 7/8 NATIONAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
nah double elim is just too much for crews. I like the previous suggestion of RR with the last 4 crews.

ORRR...

after we get the final 4 do a double elim bracket from that

OH SNAP NY/NJ Coming for ya lolz

singles ... pft with all us amazing T.O's we good...besides I am the MASTER of speed in tournament hosting XD
how exactly does that crew idea work? can u explain it further plz. estimate it at 20 crews at the tourney. i like using mid-high estimations sorta as a worst possible scenario and i could see there being that many crews.

lol this tourney is like the ohana that will happen

Chibo: do you know how many TV's you will have? you may want to make an urgent call for TV's because if there are 200 people and only 30 TV's...that isn't a very solid ratio. I've found keeping an active list in the OP of those who say they will bring a TV is the best way to really keep track and keep count of things. With 200 people you should hope to have at least 45 tvs.

Also you may want to try and figure out time schedules ahead of time based on number of tvs/people. For example, if there are 100 people with 25 tvs you do this, if there are 150 people with 35 tvs you do this, if there are 175 people with 40 tvs you do this. It should be pretty easy because the new TIO version should have an estimated time calculator. I don't have the new TIO yet, but I may end up looking at time schedules and posting them in this thread if I manage to get any free time from my midterms this week.

And I think you mentioned it in the OP, but getting registration done for whatever the next event is while singles/doubles/whatever is occuring will speed tournaments up drastically. The transition from one event to the next should be, essentially, seamless (ie less than a half hour of dead time). I've seen far, far to many tournaments delayed because they didn't start registering people for one event until the previous event had finished.

Other keys to running tournaments fast that are often overlooked: keep an eye on the bracket, if ANY part of the bracket is behind more then one round of any other part then that part of the bracket has already extended the ENTIRE tournament 15-25 minutes. Add 15-25 minutes for each round a part of the bracket is behind. Also its usually best to run WR1, WR2, LR1, LR2, WR3, LR3, WR4, etc. Do not run just the winners or just the losers bracket. Tell people never to leave their pools. Assign a captain to each pool who is responsible for keeping track of matches (you likely will know enough names/who the experience people are at each pool in order to get one trustworthy captain for each pool).
thx for the advice AZ, iv already thought of and of implemented a lot of that stuff.

as for tvs, my aim is 32 since thats like the minimum we need for efficient pools, but im trying to get every possible tv we can. iv been keeping a rough count by having there be a checkbox in the pre-reg for if ur bringing a tv or not. theres also a ton of tvs around philly, im bringing 4, gotms bringing 1, scar is bringing 4 or 5, then theres other tvs like eggms 2 tvs, vex is bringing 1 or 2, xzax is bringing 1 i think, venue is providing 1, .com is brining 1, inui is bringing 1 or 2, yes is bringing 1, so thats already a great start from off the top of my head without thinking too much about it or checking my pre-reg list.
but yes...

EVERYONE PLEASE BRING TVS!!! YOU WILL RECEIVE $5 OFF THE VENUE FEE FOR EACH TV YOU BRING
PLEASE ALSO BRING WIIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i will have labels you can put on ur wiis to make sure u keep track of it if u wish to use it.

i already have a rough schedule in mind, but il work on finalizing it today

for registration and stuff heres how it goes. we start doubles pools. i do all my matches asap. i do final call for reg for singles, then start making it when everyones finishing pools then when doubles is over i start singles pools.

as for the other stuff, yup, il b on it

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Have you ever gone to Six Flags? Much more money, slightly less fun IMO, and you're not even entering a competition. No johns.
Learn my current situation before you go on talking like you know it all alright? Ask and don't assume. And I said I am entering singles. Why the hell would I go to this and not enter anything?

lightxdream

Smash Apprentice
Chibo when I get home I will tell you the concept. Its simple and will help it go quick its easyyyyyy

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
NoJ is going?

YAYYY
i havnt seen that guy in FOREVERRRR

i cant wait! :D
yeah i have a ride there and all, only thing right now is getting somone to take my friday shift ... that could be tricky i may just have to call in.

but yeah i havent seen anyone from florida since i been there :) it gonna b awesome to see u and m2k :)

PolMex23

Smash Champion
NoJ I wanna be the best in Michigan again so wanna MM? xD im serious

Oh an G Reg im callin you out son MM you choose my Luigi or Snake

M@v

Subarashii!
My dorms TV is a HD flatscreen....so that wouldnt help at all >_>.

And honestly, at an event this big, Im scared of wiis being stolen.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
As for Wiis, i will have labels at the reg desk if anyone wants to take one to write ur name on it to mark ur wii. if u bring it, we will do our best to keep from them getting stolen, but u should also try to keep an eye on it urself, just peak over whenever u can to make sure its there lol. also if we have like lines of tvs all with brawl on and one mysteriously shuts off lol, then we'll know somethinhgs up

ChuDat

Smash Master
how exactly does that crew idea work? can u explain it further plz. estimate it at 20 crews at the tourney. i like using mid-high estimations sorta as a worst possible scenario and i could see there being that many crews.
Single elimination tournament happens until Semi-finals of both sides of the bracket. These are the last 4 Crews.

These teams then go into a Round Robin. Good Idea from AZ, which makes everything more fair for the top 4 teams that make it, and also gives everyone a chance to see a specific crew match-up that they wanted to see but couldn't because of Single Elimination.

1. Team A fights Team B at the same time that Team C fights Team D.
2. Team A fights Team D while Team B fights Team C.
3. Team A fights Team C while Team B fights Team D.

Semi-Finals and Finals would be two matches, while Round Robin is three matches. Thing is, match-ups need to be fought at the SAME TIME for time efficiency.

Also, there are specific rules for round robin which I'm not really familiar with. For my bi-weeklies, I just kept stock count in a + and - fashion. Lets say Team A beats Team B by 3 stock. Team A is now + 3 and Team B is at -3. I don't know though if this is the proper way to determine a winner.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Single elimination tournament happens until Semi-finals of both sides of the bracket. These are the last 4 Crews.

These teams then go into a Round Robin. Good Idea from AZ, which makes everything more fair for the top 4 teams that make it, and also gives everyone a chance to see a specific crew match-up that they wanted to see but couldn't because of Single Elimination.

1. Team A fights Team B at the same time that Team C fights Team D.
2. Team A fights Team D while Team B fights Team C.
3. Team A fights Team C while Team B fights Team D.

Semi-Finals and Finals would be two matches, while Round Robin is three matches. Thing is, match-ups need to be fought at the SAME TIME for time efficiency.
I like it!

consider it done.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Hell yeah Niko let's bring back P Diddy
lol, thats a nice team name

thumbs, we'll ditto, but not in a tourney match. in a friendly or something. i dont enjoy diddy dittos when something important is on the line

again, i cant wait to see boss vs polmex. So many combos, its gonna look like melee. it better be recorded

only a few days left...

boss8

Smash Hero

thumbs, we'll ditto, but not in a tourney match. in a friendly or something. i dont enjoy diddy dittos when something important is on the line

again, i cant wait to see boss vs polmex. So many combos, its gonna look like melee. it better be recorded

only a few days left...
i cant combo...there are no combos in brawl so wtf are you talking about..lol

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I edited my post about the rules of round robin. Take a look at it and see what u think.
ah ok, so first u go by # of sets won, like obviously if someone is undefeated they win, then use the point system to break ties. the reason u would do sets first is like say crew A is undefeated but only wins by 1 stock every time giving em 3 points. crew B wins one battle with 6 leftover giving em 6 points, and loses the other 2 by 1 giving em a score of 4. i would still give the win to crew A since theyr win loss record is better than crew B.

---

as for doubles pools, im estimating around 90-100 teams. il do 16 pools of 5 or 6 teams per pool. is everyone cool with only top 2 making it out of that situation for a 32 person bracket? since no pool is as **** since like theres no real death pool situation like how and m2k singles pool might be, its cheaper than singles per person, and theres double the actual ppl moving on since its 2v2 not 1v1.

thumbswayup

Smash Master

only a few days left...
I agree. Diddy dittos are stupid and annoying in tournament, but can be enjoyable in friendlies if you're just screwing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom