• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
@Tin: You're too late ;) Echo already told me videos were up last night; however, it seemed that the uploads were incomplete so I decided to wait a little bit before updating the thread so I don't miss anything. Also, I'll watch the videos in a little bit (SO many threads to respond to...)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Already seen it and already concluded that he was most likely sandbagging against you

Don't believe me? I made two long, detailed posts listing all of the evidence, but all of that isn't even necessary. Look at 3:27. He had you in the clutches of a purple pikmin with a fresh Uthrow - you were dead. And he chose not to go for it - don't even try to say "maybe he didn't notice" ;)

I do need to get on adding his official videos though...

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Brood's official videos added! I also kept the independent recording of his set vs. Lee Martin as there isn't an official upload. I chose to exclude his sets vs. DEHF as they did not represent good Olimar play vs. Falco. (He got two stocked...so....yea.)

Jewjitsu24

Smash Rookie
Great job on this. I've been waitin for some more recent olimar vids and this definitely is what i was looking for.

Johnny Citrus

Smash Apprentice
Already seen it and already concluded that he was most likely sandbagging against you

Don't believe me? I made two long, detailed posts listing all of the evidence, but all of that isn't even necessary. Look at 3:27. He had you in the clutches of a purple pikmin with a fresh Uthrow - you were dead. And he chose not to go for it - don't even try to say "maybe he didn't notice" ;)

I do need to get on adding his official videos though...
Dude no one plays perfectly in a serious set and it's ignorant to say he was "sandbagging" just because he lost to a player who isn't as good as M2K.

I can't count the number of times I dthrow or fthrow with a purple when I could have gotten a kill with upthrow. Purples are easy to escape, and in close matches like that, sometimes one's reaction is to just deal the 10 percent damage and get the opponent away.

Of course Brood has much better control over this than I or anyone does, but just because you saw a mistake while watching the vid (under NO pressure) doesn't mean you would have done the same thing.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, Brood lost and that's all there is to it. The kid's not perfect. I'm sure there's matchups he doesn't know. Granted, he could have been sandbagging, but you can't just immediately assume he was based on a few careless mistakes he made. Maybe he didn't have his sushi Saturday morning and his game was off.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
That's why I said most likely! Only my opinion >.> At any rate the video still doesn't show good Olimar play against a ROB, which is the primary reason I'd rather not put it up. If he had lost but still played the MU well, then I'd definitely add it, but I don't take that to be the case - unless I'm wrong?

Bah, just trying to make sure I'm not carrying any bias; I'm no thread nazi. If you guys believe the videos should be added then I will add them - yes?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Chibo, that's not it at all! Before the videos emerged, I had actually believed that he genuinely lost due to a lack of camping ability (from what Fino and Logic had told me of the set). However, after looking at the videos I just could not believe that he was really trying to win. Here, read this and this for the most notable reasons I believe he was sandbagging. If you disagree, then you're entitled to, but you can't say I don't have a basis for thinking he was sandbagging ;)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Updated

-Added Kovarish matches
-Added commentary for Brood vs. M2K

First, when I was adding Kovarish's videos I realized we have a huge deficiency of Marth videos - his is the only one! Someone fix this!

Second, I decided to add the version of Brood vs. M2K with commentary while also keeping the un-commentated videos; the latter are probably better to learn and observe, while the former are just fun to watch ^_^

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hm... if Kadaj comes to another Ga monthly I could ask for some friendlies against him with my Olimar. :O I'll see if I can get some clips up here.

Jane

Smash Hero
gotdamm...

i just watched the brood sets.

yeah yeah, theyre amazing and all, but did anyone else notice how ****ing garbage the commentators were? xDD they didnt know **** about olimar lmfao

i cant wait till theres staple commentators for brawl, like there are for melee

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Well Drac i may be completely wrong in what im gonna say but ill say what i think anyway.

You didnt play bad at all. I thought u had him that second game.

I only watched your first 2 vids against gallax.

You needed more aggresion. U seemed too timid when he pulled grenades. In game 1 when he was camping at the top platform tethering wud of been perfect. He kept b reversaling grenades. U did a good job of pivot grabbing his landings.

At 1:30-1:37 u saw when u got in to mid range he tried to bair off the platform and get to the other side. You cud of easily took advantage of the position when he landed. U shud of threw out grabs and fsmashes. Instead you let him retreat out of your range.

At 1:40-1:44 You ended up scaring him. U just had to pullout some pivotgrabs and fsmashes and u wud of got him. Instead u retreated with pikmin toss and got hit wit DACUS.

In game 2 at one point u were on top of a line on pictochat. He was chasing u underneath. Instead of retreating to the left. U retreated near the land mine and c4. U were punished for it. He wasnt pressuring u, u had plenty of time to go to the other side instead. Other than that, pretty good.

U need to roll less as well.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
There are some older sets of Brood against Japanese MK players as well as Rain. They are quite old but still worth watching imo. Unless this thread only includes sets from 2010 you should probably add them to see how japanese MKs handle the match-up. You migh learn something ^^

Here's the Olimar that is supposed to be the best in Japan - Nietono:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC6kioituio&feature=related

Had it not been for that stupid SD he would've clearly won - against the very same player that 2 stocked Brood! Hard to believe but it really looks like Nietono is better than Brood.

:059:

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
There are some older sets of Brood against Japanese MK players as well as Rain. They are quite old but still worth watching imo. Unless this thread only includes sets from 2010 you should probably add them to see how japanese MKs handle the match-up. You migh learn something ^^

Here's the Olimar that is supposed to be the best in Japan - Nietono:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC6kioituio&feature=related

Had it not been for that stupid SD he would've clearly won - against the very same player that 2 stocked Brood! Hard to believe but it really looks like Nietono is better than Brood.

:059:
Oh I'm well aware of Brood's old videos; his sets against Meta Knight were what gave me hope when I was just starting out :) However, this is a thread for recent videos; I'm trying to keep the cutoff at six months with few exceptions. Speaking of which, I'm probably gonna have to remove some videos in about a week :( It seems such a waste to just let them fall away into cyberspace; maybe I'll turn the third post into an archive for older videos...

I'll watch the Draco vids in just a lil bit, I'd like to see what u can do mang :)

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
well you cant just let such an epic peace of work go to waste! put it in the archive!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
@Greward: I know about that channel already :) Do you have any new videos on there?
Yeah the comentators didn't know anything about Olimar.

Also I finally got vids, and I would like comments since I need to improve lol.

Draconoa vs. Gallax
Game 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU_EOYEpJH0
Game 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSmdOhZ9bhM

radiX vs. Draconoa
Game 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp-d3mOFIEg
Game 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfuqBLcI05A
Alright, finally got around to watchin these! First, the Gallax set.

The most glaringly important thing I feel the need to say is that when you're on a ledge against Snake, sometimes the best thing to do is to simply wait; whether this is dropping off and jumping back up the the ledge or dropping off, tethering, and hanging there, you just need to wait sometimes. The reason for this is simple: grenades explode after 3 seconds (or something like that) and a lot of times Snake will use them as part of his edguard trap. If you wait for his grenades to explode, either he has to pull more or just go without them. I noticed that every time you got on a ledge you were in a mad dash to get off and ended up getting trapped by grenades a couple times, so just slow your roll every now and then.

Next, why didn't u SH pikmin toss more in the first game? Does Gallax have a habit of DACUSing you when you do it? If that's a problem, just SHFF throw one pikmin and fsmash immediately after. As long as you space yourself properly and Snake doesn't predict your jump and just reacts to it, you should hit him with the fsmash if he tries any dash attack nonesense.

Another thing: when Snake goes into his cypher, that means it's time to start fishin for a tether! Either A) You'll hit him or B) You'll force him to get off the cypher, likely in a place that he wasn't aiming for. Long as you make sure he's not in range to FF something on you, it's usually a good idea unless you've got something else planned. (Side note: in this MU, I consider tether to be better than uair nearly 90% of the time. I say this because Uair has a tendency to blow up grenades and screw up Oli's stage control, whereas tether can strike from a safe distance and doesn't afraid of anything. Might be a personal preference, but it sure is nice to not get interrupted by 'nades. Anyone else have an opinion on this?)

Minor note: always blow up land mines with C4, as soon as you get a chance to. Even when you're respawning and have invincibility, it's safer to use pikmin to do your bidding. And if you don't hit it right on the mark, they'll blow it up when they start to walk back, so you can throw one to put the mine between you and it, forget about it, and go back to fighting - pikmin got this.

In the Picto game, you used Utilt to clank something - was that on purpose? If it was, share your secrets plz :)

Oh yea, last note: when you're on a platform above Snake, don't forget that jumping is an option, especially on BF where there's that middle platform you can run to. Every time you got on a platform (in both games) you tried to drop down either to attack or just get down, and it got you punished quite a bit. Up isn't a region Snake controls very well, whereas he has this huge danger box surrounding him, so sometimes up is the way to go.

Wow, I said a lot about that lol; Snake's my favorite MU, so I hope these help you out :D

As for the MK MU, it looks like you're better than I am at it so I don't have a whole lot to say for it :chuckle: Only notes:

Learn the timing to Usmash oos Tornado. He kept it on you a couple times and you probably could've countered after he fell out of it.

Don't play the random dashing after KO game with MK; he can get to you too quickly lol, though if you plan on that and shield when he gets there it could still be fine, just be careful

When you're at low percents and MK Dthrows you, DI away upwards and you can Fair him before landing if he does anything besides run up and shield. It's not to be abused since they CAN shield it, but it's a good option to add to your aresenal.

You might already do this (who can tell from one set) but if you've used your tether hop to get over the stage and your opponent is standing on it, sometimes the better option is to fall to the ledge. Unless they predict it, they'll probably attack where you were about to land, letting you get to the ledge and get more options besides fall.

Oh look, he went Snake! Well I pretty much said all there is to say about Snake already, so that's covered :) I think you played this one better than the other one. And what's up with the clock hand pushing you out of that grab you had? Reminds me of pivot grabbing at max distance...

and@everyone else: Alright, I'll set up an archive when the time comes to remove videos; it WOULD be in the SECOND post if it weren't for a Spanish troll takin what aint his *evil glare*

Top Bottom