• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

Noa.

Smash Master
Thanks for the advice Saget and Vocal. You guys reminded of multiple things that I've forgotten/haven't thought about.

Also the utilt clanking thing; I don't know what you're talking about since I haven't seen the vids in a while. I do utilt after snake dthrows me though.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Thanks for the advice Saget and Vocal. You guys reminded of multiple things that I've forgotten/haven't thought about.

Also the utilt clanking thing; I don't know what you're talking about since I haven't seen the vids in a while. I do utilt after snake dthrows me though.
Interesting, I might try that

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
no, i was just getting another post

just like this one

:chuckle:
You REALLY want that 1000 posts, don't you :p
ayo voc why do you sometimes not have every link to every game in a set?
Well I figure the best use of this thread is to see Olimars performing at the best of their abilities; that way, other Olimars can see effective methods of playing him. I tend to exclude games that don't really show this; for example, the Brood v. M2K set is great, but Game One was such a terrible loss and bad show of Olimar play that it didn't feel right to have it in here. Plus I feel like if someone wants to find an unlisted game they could easily find it in the related videos section :) And then Logic has so many sets I just put one game each lol

I've gone back and forth about putting games like that in, but somehow noting that that they should be watched mostly for what not to do instead.

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah, i think its good to have games they lost just to see what not to do/what the opponent did right.

but i dont mind, like you said its easy to find in the related videos, i was just wondering

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Are there any really good Olimar combo videos out there? Or is it better to watch real matches to learn strategies?
There are combo videos right at the beginning of this thread :laugh: That said, they're REALLY old. And yes, it's better to watch real matches, that way you see how you get to the combo video stuff as well. Start with a matchup you have trouble in, or just any matchup if you don't have a specific need. There's good stuff in all of the videos I put up, so I suggest you watch them all over time :)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Dnyce

Smash Master
LOL!

Funny for so many different reasons XD And I thought I rolled a lot :laugh:

It makes me happy to see that you're one of the people who picked him up from the get go and stuck with him :)
I have some ooooold vids on youtube... :(

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman

Don't you guys have tournaments every weekend?
All summer long there has been 2 tournaments that everyone could make it to. After that, it's been dead for the whole season. We just found a new venue so hopefully this changes

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Sorry I haven't visited this thread in a little while - I've been abusing the hell out of my last days of summer ^_^ I'll update soon enough.

Dnyce

Smash Master

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Brand new videos of Nietono, the best Olimar in Japan. They are awesome - check them out!

vs YUI (Fox) - 8/28/10
vs YUI (Fox) - 8/28/10

vs Shuu (Snake) - 8/28/10
vs Shuu (Snake) - 8/28/10

vs RAIN (Falco) - 8/28/10

Haven't even finished watching one, but question: in the first game vs Yui, it looks like he does a sliding usoos :O Is that actually oos or just shield dropped?

edit: LOL I saw him whistle bounce against Shuu :D Oh yea, and he did that sliding Usmash after being in shield again

Excellence

Smash Champion
I would like to see you play a Mr. Game & Watch who actually knows what they're doing but I guess it's okay. It looks like you need a little bit more match-up knowledge here because you put yourself in some pretty risky situations when you didn't have to. It's easy to grab Mr. Game & Watch off the ledge when you're Olimar. Standing near the ledge with your shield up is only going to get it eaten away by NAir or even poked with a surprise Up B. You really want to stick to grabbing or fsmashing to force him into the air space above you which is where he is most vulnerable to your attacks, particularly Up Air and to a lesser extend Tether.

You need to work on your combos out of grab. Unless you're going for a KO or the generic Purple Pikmin DThrow > Tether, I would never use Up Throw because there is so much more damage or better opponent positioning that you can do with Down Throw. Try to work on using the basic combos like DThrow > FAir > FSmash or DThrow > USmash > UAir until you can figure out which way your opponent DI's to try and escape your combo then you punish that.

Rolling is bad. You rolled so much that it looked like you forgot that you can just run away or, usually better, stutter step. If you roll, you make yourself a lot more predictable and much more of an easy target because Mr. Game & Watch will be under very little pressure when he tries to escape your attacks. It's not a bad idea to just Stutter Step > FSmash his BAirs and either Pivot Grab or Stutter Step > USmash his NAir once he tries to retreat. What would really help you out in this situation, is learning the Game & Watch's jumping pattern to find out when he/she feels uncomfortable and what jump they usually choose to retreat on. This one here seemed perfectly fine double jumping and FAir'ing you without canceling it. That should be something you take advantage of in the future.

Be very cautious of where you position yourself while trying to retreat or make someone slip up. As Olimar, you're one of the most predictable and vulnerable characters when your back is against the ledge so it is important that you learn how to steer clear of those situations. Learning to SDI would also help you against G&W.

Dnyce

Smash Master

Haven't even finished watching one, but question: in the first game vs Yui, it looks like he does a sliding usoos :O Is that actually oos or just shield dropped?
It looks like he drops his shield before he does it

Asa

Smash Hero
the 1st vid lol

if he planned to plant those yellows on the platform, omg

he's got some really good pikmin management

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
1) THROW MORE PIKMIN

2) Don't waste your kill throws. Never B/Fthrow unless A) They are at very low percents near an edge and you think you can get a spike or B) They are at high percents. For Uthrow, only B applies. ALWAYS use your Dthrow to rack damage

3) THROW MOAR PIKMIN!!

3) Don't forget you have a Tether and Uair. If G&W is doing a lot of empty SHs in a row, you can easily punish with a grounded Tether, or a Uair if he jumps high and close enough.

4) THROW MOAR PIKMIN!!!!!!!

5) Pivot grab a lot less. Most of the time when you pivot grabbed, you should've been doing something else, like short hop throwing pikmin for instance - did I mention that?

6) Don't try to air battle G&W; he outranges you. (Except maybe yellow Fair? Confirmation someone)

7) Don't run yourself to a ledge when you have no good reason to. Stand your ground - the further from offstage you are the better. Oli is a character that relies on stage control, and you can't control anything if you're two breaths from being knocked offstage.

8) THROW MAOR PIKMANZ!!!!!111ZOMGONE

But seriously, you NEED to short hop throw more pikmin. They rack damage AND they force G&W to approach you - you have ABSOLUTELY no reason to approach unless he has a huge lead and you have to do something drastic. Throw pikmin, wait for him to approach, and then pivot grab him when he tries to turtle you. (Basic scenario, anyways.) And like Excellence mentioned, roll less; replace it with pivot grab, or situationally jab, or some other option. And learn how to Usmash out of shield, it's great against G&W - while in shield, input a jump and them immediately cancel it with a Usmash.

Top Bottom