• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transmissions to Hocotate - Olimar Video Archive and Critique Thread

Jane

Smash Hero
why not blue fthrow? its not THAT strong, and it gives you way more breathing room than dthrow.

also, ive been grounded tethering, its sooo good! just gotta know when to use it, and not use it often ^___^

Jane

Smash Hero
ok so i just watched the two nietono vs rain sets... hes good but three things...

(from least important to most important)
1. he ALWAYS short hop pikmin tossed D: he shoulda mixed in some grounded pikmin tosses in there, especially for the yellows who most of the time woulda gone right over the reflector

2. he hardly EVER naired, there were so many good opportunities to nair, but instead he would airdodge, or whistle to airdodge

3. he rolled A LOT. well maybe not like a lot a lot, but there were quite a few times were he retardedly rolled right into rain >___>

but other than that they were very fun to watch, i learned so new things for the falco mu (like camp your balls off)

@supreme dirt

just a few things i noticed, dont roll so much. there were times where you would roll right into him, and other times when you would roll away when you could have stood your ground with a fsmash or grab. its a hard habit to break, i know, but work on it, its definitely very important to roll as little as possible. also, you need to improve your DI, when you lost your first stock i noticed that he was very obviously gonna hit you after you whiffed an attack, but didnt di well so your tether didnt reach. just another thing you should constantly try to improve. dont pivot grab just for the lulz, there were a few times i saw you pivot grab in the opposite direction of marth xD. also, dont dash grab so much, cuz marth will punish that shizz always. oh, and lastly, there was a point where i saw you beautifully nair him, then you landed, and tried to nair again, even though you werent like close enough to him for the nair to connect. so basically you just gotta learn to turn auto-pilot off. its tough, it took me a long time, but yeah.

basically, work on not rolling so much, work on your di, and work on being "in the match" and not just throwing out moves just because. hope that helped!

oh! and also i noticed you had some white pikmin... and they had flowers on them! no bueno! whites should always either be thrown away, or throw at your opponent so they can kill them off. the first step to being conscious of your line, is knowing where your whites are at all times.

Excellence

Smash Champion
why not blue fthrow? its not THAT strong, and it gives you way more breathing room than dthrow.

also, ive been grounded tethering, its sooo good! just gotta know when to use it, and not use it often ^___^
Because you can combo out of Down Throw which will result in them giving you space because they want to DI away and NOT take any more damage. If you can't combo them then they're at a percentage where DThrow knocks them too far in which case there is still no need to Forward Throw them unless it's some weird situation like there is a Grenade or Claymore behind snake and you want to hurl him into it because you know he's going to DI that way.

vs. niched (Marth)

Just another match. I was making a lot of mistakes this match.
0:07 ~ 0:08 - You're rolling again. Stop rolling. Why are you approaching Marth with a roll? Are you aware that he can hit you with Dancing Blade then combo you with FAir or frame trap? I suggest you change your shield button so you stop doing it habitually because that's what you're doing.
0:09 ~ 0:10 - Why did you just BThrow Marth? Not only did you reduce kill power on a kill move but you also got yourself no where with the attack and set yourself up to be punished. Next time, you DThrow >Buffered USmash > UAir > Tether and retreat so you can SH single toss a Pikmin. You don't want to double toss at Marth because single tossing and fast falling will let you hit the ground quicker in case you need to buffer a shield. You also run less a risk of Marth catching you replucking Pikmin. Be mindful of your line at all times in this match-up.
0:13 ~ 0:14 - Follow up your throws. You're missing out on a lot of damage by not taking advantage of the positions you leave your opponent in. Here, you could have tried for an UAir.
0:17 ~ 0:18 - Here we go again with the rolls. Stop rolling toward Marth. Stop approaching him at all.
0:21 - More rolling.
0:24 - If there was a better time to UAir, I don't know when it was because here he was sitting right on top of you, still in another animation and COMPLETELY defenseless. This is a situation the Marth wants to avoid at all costs. You should have hurt him really badly for this error.
0:34 - Don't go after people who not only outrange you but out prioritize, outspeed, and have a better recovery than you when they're off the ledge. Marth was getting back to the ledge in this case and you weren't going to stop that. You should have put yourself in range to FSmash him or punish him when he jumps up from the ledge.
0:38 - More rolling.
0:44 ~ 0:45 - I think this would have been a great time to either Pivot Grab or Stutter Step > FSmash. With Marth's percentage being so low and him being close to the ledge and therefore more predictable (Marth is terrible on the ledge) you should have probably gone for the Pivot Grab.
0:47 - Rolling into Marth again. Everytime you do this, pretend you're playing a good Marth. They will hurt you for it. Either Dancing Blade, Tippered FSmash, UTilt > Juggle, DTilt frame trap, Grab > Horrible things, or tippered FTilt.
0:49 - In this case, you didn't get punished for it because this Marth is stupid but a good Marth knows they can DTilt out of a dash grab like that. Especially because this Marth was already crouched before you tried to grab him.
0:59 ~ 1:01 - Spamming grab does nothing for you once you escape except let Marth plan his attack on a more predictable opponent. Do not dash grab Marth unless you're sure he is expecting something else and won't get punished for it. Don't even approach him.
1:07 ~ 1:08 - Bad DI. You could of recovered if you DI'd yourself well.
A lot of times - the obvious sign of a new Olimar is that they pluck beyond 6 Pikmin. Not only does this waste time but it makes you vulnerable. Learn how many Pikmin you have, manage your line, and stop doing this.
1:27 - Your FAir does not beat Marth's FAir in any way. Don't try to contest his FAir with it. Punish his landing.
1:34 - Marth didn't put you near the ledge, you put yourself near then on the ledge. As Olimar you NEVER want to be on the ledge, near the ledge, around the ledge, above the ledge. Olimar </3 the Ledge. Make sure you try to stay in the center of the stage and gain stage control.
1:41 - Trying to pluck more than 6 Pikmin again.
1:45 - Used the wrong throw again. DThrow and on rare occasion when you need to FThrow. Don't waste your kill moves.
2:01 - Plucking more than 6 Pikmin again.
2:06 - Habitually ledge attacking when the opponent is no where near the ledge. A good Marth would have just hit you with a tippered FSmash and you'd be down a stock.
Don't full hop so much. Marth is better than you in the air and you can't compete with him horizontally or above you in the air. You need to stay grounded. Stick with SHing or not leaving the ground at all.
2:22 - You had your second jump so you could have done a rising UAir to get damage on Marth and send him away from the ledge allowing for safe recovery. Remember to think clearly, even when you're offstage you need to be smart if you want to survive.
2:24 - Stop ledge attacking. Marth had his shield up and he wasn't even in range of your ledge attack. Think about what you're using before you use it.
2:30 - Learn to time those whistles because they're your saving grace.
2:33 - Again with the ledge attacking for no reason.
2:47 - This is one of the times you want to go offstage and ledgegrab. You could've easily timed a drop to the ledge and stopped Marth from recovering. Don't choke.
2:57 - When you know Marth's Dolphin Slash won't get him enough height to grab the ledge, don't ever FSmash. You'll hit him, he'll get his Up B back and he will recover. Think.
3:12 - Stop double jumping to attack Marth. You will never win those contests.
3:28 ~ 3:31 - Rolling... roll... roll... roll... Stop doing this, it is the only bad combo in Brawl unless you're Lucario or Meta Knight.
3:34 - With Marth literally positioning himself right above you. You should have crushed this guy already. He keeps asking to be hit with Up Smash OOS, buffered USmash, or UAir. Even UTilt would've got him.
A lot - You need to be punishing this Marth's landing. He literally hits your shield and lands in front of you without doing anything about it. Shield his attack then punish him OOS. You could be shield grabbing or pivot grabbing this kid like crazy.
4:03 - Stop competing with Marth in the air.

There are some things that I would like you to understand about approaching a match-up. Before ANY match-up begins you need to first ask yourself a set of questions.

1. What are my opponent's best approaches?
2. What direction do those approaches come from?
3. Can I punish those approaches?
4. How can I avoid those approaches?
5. What my opponent's best defenses?
6. How can I get around those defenses to approach?
7. How can I position them outside of their defenses?
8. How will I KO this opponent?
9. What style does my opponent play and how do I adjust accordingly?
10. How can I get my opponent into their weak zones?

Try to ask yourself those things and I'll answer the ones above. Marth's best approach is FAir this comes from in front of him meaning he has to be horizontal with you to hit you with it (and some degree above or below you because it's an arc). You can punish it, but only if Marth messes up and not very reliably. You can punish them with USmash OOS, UAir, Tether, Pivot Grab, Stutter Stepped FSmash, or by running away and leaving Marth in a bad position on the stage (against the ledge or something). Marth's best defenses are FAir, UTilt, Dancing Blade, and FTilt. You cannot get around these defenses, therefore you will not approach Marth. To get around these defenses you don't approach Marth and let him come to you. To position him outside of those defenses, you play the range game with him and only attack him unless he is directly above you since none of those moves can hurt you from below. You will KO this Marth with a grab, ledgehog, FSmash, or USmash because they're either outside of his defenses or beat his range. Your opponent played reckless, you should've camped, baited, and punished him. You could get Marth into his weak zones by messing up his spacing or DThrow combos.

I hope I helped. There was more but I didn't feel like typing anymore.

Jane

Smash Hero
Because you can combo out of Down Throw which will result in them giving you space because they want to DI away and NOT take any more damage. If you can't combo them then they're at a percentage where DThrow knocks them too far in which case there is still no need to Forward Throw them unless it's some weird situation like there is a Grenade or Claymore behind snake and you want to hurl him into it because you know he's going to DI that way.
well i like to forward throw occasionally. especially if its a character that has trouble getting back on stage - youll put them in a tougher position than if you would have dthrown (and theyre out of dthrow combo percents ofcourse)

dont get me wrong, dthrow da bess. but theres plenty of situations where fthrow works just as well if not better.

Excellence

Smash Champion
well i like to forward throw occasionally. especially if its a character that has trouble getting back on stage - youll put them in a tougher position than if you would have dthrown (and theyre out of dthrow combo percents ofcourse)

dont get me wrong, dthrow da bess. but theres plenty of situations where fthrow works just as well if not better.
Yeah, I can agree with that.

Excellence

Smash Champion
You want to first make him want to approach by camping. That is your first job in this match-up. Once you've taken the lead, you need to shut down his aerial approach or make him very cautious when trying to approach you. Don't be afraid to use those tethers and UAirs because a lot of times you didn't take full advantage of them. Even NAir or simply running underneath him would have been a good option a number of times here. He would've of had time to FF Grab you and Dedede's options to punish what's behind him aren't that good. Once you've succeeded in making him want to approach from the ground or take risks while in the air, you'll start to see patterns that you can abuse and then the game is pretty much yours. I noticed a couple of times he pinned you against the ledge with F-Tilt. If you see him doing that, you can try to SH Backward before it reaches you then land with a PShield for the next one and punish it. I think that's sort of hard to do so you may want to just try Whistle > FAir or something like that. Try CPing him to Lylat where he can **** up his recover, you can shark the ledges, he can get rapped on platforms, he finds it more difficult to land, and the ceiling is high enough to help you survive UTilt while the blastzones are close enough for you to throw him out.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Updated​

-Added MiniTroika friendlies against Razmakazi :peach:

-Added Nietono tourney sets against Rain :falco:, YUI :fox:, and Shuu :snake:

-Added Rich Brown tourney set against Havok :metaknight:

-Added Zori friendly against UltimateRazer :snake: and tourney sets against Illmatic :peach: and Jerm :toonlink:

What a great update! We've gained two new characters - Fox and Toon Link - thanks to Nietono and Zori; we're that much closer to covering the whole cast!

While I have added the new videos, I did not mark videos that are now considered -OLD- (videos older than five months) nor did I move those older than six months to the soon coming archive. I would do these right now, but I've got rehearsal at 10 in the morning so I've really got to get some sleep. Just keep an eye on the dates if you want to watch anything.

Dnyce

Smash Master

While I have added the new videos, I did not mark videos that are now considered -OLD- (videos older than five months) nor did I move those older than six months to the soon coming archive. I would do these right now, but I've got rehearsal at 10 in the morning so I've really got to get some sleep. Just keep an eye on the dates if you want to watch anything.
It's starting...

Noa.

Smash Master
No he means that soon you will have NO time to update this thread lol. Vids just keep on coming and coming in.

I still have hope for you though.

Jane

Smash Hero
Son im in san diego for the weekend with only my phone to check smashboards

Knowledgable olis, where you at?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
UPDATED​

-Added Past Voyages in third post

All videos older than six months have been moved to the Olimar Video Archive (entitled Past Voyages) located in the third post. A lot of characters dropped off the recent section and into there >.> This just means that you guys need to get some sets recorded with em :D And HILT! YOU ARE NOW ENTIRELY IN THE ARCHIVE! UPLOAD VIDEOS NAO :@

I didn't have time to add -OLD- tags, but I'll do those tomorrow.

Asa

Smash Hero

0:11 - don't dash grab, and don't grab with whites

0:12 - it would've been a smarter option to walk away and throw your purple, or fsmash

0:17 - usually when you have a purple the best option is to throw it, as ppl can mash out of the grab easily

0:20 - using usmash a bit too much imo, espcially at this early percent

0:33 - learn your dthrow followups. when you full hopped that fsmash you committed yourself to the air when you really didn't need to.

0:36 - don't bthrow that early,uthrow or dthrow instead

1:01 - it looked like you were attempting nair - usmash. firstly, watch what your opponent is doing. if he got out of it don't mindlessly go for the usmash. go and pivot grab or something. you should've gotten punished for that.

1:04 - dont roll into an opponent when you're on the edge. throw out some fsmashes/grabs, then when he jumps in the air run to the middle

1:17 - doing full hopped uairs when the opponent is on the ground isn't good really

1:29 - staling your dthrow for no reason. uthrow instead

1:42 - your whistling seems off. watch your opponent closely and whistle at the appropriate time

2:03 - you didn't take this opportunity to stack your line. throw off those reds and replace them with some other pikmin

2:17 - sh fair would've connected, full hop fair doesn't and it leaves your wayy too open

2:50 - learn to sdi wario's dair, up and away

main things i think you need to work on
-getting your whistling better
-not spamming usmash
-learning your dthrow followups
-staying more grounded

Jane

Smash Hero
Hey, grabbing with whites is a good choice imo. Long range, and if youve conditioned your opponent to immediately throw after grabbing them, you can get some nice pummel damage. AND you can follow it up sometimes since whites are *******

Asa

Smash Hero
Hey, grabbing with whites is a good choice imo. Long range, and if youve conditioned your opponent to immediately throw after grabbing them, you can get some nice pummel damage. AND you can follow it up sometimes since whites are *******
touche

i just don't like white pikmin

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497

Umm... A couple of things, I guess:

1. I don't believe that it has been proven that whites actually have extra range. In my personal experiments, it seems that they do but the difference is quite insignificant.

2. White pummel damage is only 2% more than pummels with other pikmin. You would have to pummel 4-5 times to break even with other pikmin in the same situation, IIRC.
(Hope that explanation makes sense...)

To summarize, whites are incredibly cute and are really good for tossing at people, but they suck at everything else.

Jane

Smash Hero
Im not saying they have the longest, their grab range is about the same as blues, and thats what i meant by long range.

Also what do you mean by 4-5 pummels to break even with other pikmin?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Perhaps I was unclear.
It seems that the range bonus for both blues AND whites are insignificant. Seriously, it's like 1/10 of a centimeter on a 34 inch television. Test it for yourself against someone with a relatively still standing animation.

And about throw damage and whites...
Using the table from Deflowered:

R BL Y W P
F-throw 6 13 7 6 7
D-throw 9 12 8 6 8
U-throw 9 12 11 6 11
B-throw 7 14 9 7 9
Throw hit 2 2 2 4 2

I'm a bit uncertain about move decay, but if my math isn't terrible tonight it should be "4, 3, 2, 2" (11 total) for a white pummel and "2, 2, 1, 1" (6 total) for any other.
A blue Dthrow with four pummels would do 18. White would do 17. Red would do 15. Yellow and purple would do 14.
Largest difference is 3 damage.

I do hope I don't have to explain any further, but please let me know if you still don't get what I'm getting at.

EDIT: FORMATTING ON TABLE GOT SCREWED. This is unfortunate.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah I did a chart on it once. White's pummel + dthrow is only better than the other colors if you can get like five or six pummels, and that isn't going to happen, lol.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Indeed.
Even if you do get them at a percentage that would allow it, they're already damaged enough.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Yeah I did a chart on it once. White's pummel + dthrow is only better than the other colors if you can get like five or six pummels, and that isn't going to happen, lol.
What? I'm so confused .-. lmao, what are you trying to say?

Jane

Smash Hero
Perhaps I was unclear.
It seems that the range bonus for both blues AND whites are insignificant. Seriously, it's like 1/10 of a centimeter on a 34 inch television. Test it for yourself against someone with a relatively still standing animation.
oh really? i always thought i noticed the extra range for blue/whites O_o what about pivot grabs though? since grab ranges change for that. but yeah thats interesting ill have to test it out.

I'm a bit uncertain about move decay, but if my math isn't terrible tonight it should be "4, 3, 2, 2" (11 total) for a white pummel and "2, 2, 1, 1" (6 total) for any other.
A blue Dthrow with four pummels would do 18. White would do 17. Red would do 15. Yellow and purple would do 14.
Largest difference is 3 damage.
well see the thing is youre comparing exact pummels and throws. if i grab with anything other than a white, ill usually only pummel once, then throw. sometimes when theyre at high percents i wont pummel at all since i dont want them to DI. and that was the whole point i was getting at. i said,

if youve conditioned your opponent to immediately throw after grabbing them, you can get some nice pummel damage.
meaning that you can pummel the **** out of your opponent with a white, where in any other situation you would NOT have pummeled a lot. so you get like... maybe 3 pummels, sometimes more because the point is to catch the opponent off guard so they start mashing late, thats 9-11 damage, plus 6 for a throw, where normally you would have only grabbed and throw, and MAYBE thrown in a pummel or two.

i mean, its not like insane damage and "zomg whites are very important to grab with", im just saying its a viable option, and having more options is always good.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
oh really? i always thought i noticed the extra range for blue/whites O_o what about pivot grabs though? since grab ranges change for that. but yeah thats interesting ill have to test it out.
TBH, I have no freaking idea how to accurately test pivot grab ranges. ^^;

well see the thing is youre comparing exact pummels and throws. if i grab with anything other than a white, ill usually only pummel once, then throw. sometimes when theyre at high percents i wont pummel at all since i dont want them to DI. and that was the whole point i was getting at. i said

meaning that you can pummel the **** out of your opponent with a white, where in any other situation you would NOT have pummeled a lot. so you get like... maybe 3 pummels, sometimes more because the point is to catch the opponent off guard so they start mashing late, thats 9-11 damage, plus 6 for a throw, where normally you would have only grabbed and throw, and MAYBE thrown in a pummel or two.

i mean, its not like insane damage and "zomg whites are very important to grab with", im just saying its a viable option, and having more options is always good.
I have read this several times and I still don't understand what you're getting at.
Your original statement that "grabbing with whites is a good choice" implies that it is preferable to grabbing with other colors. Am I wrong?
From what I've gathered, your current case is that you grab and throw immediately with other colors whereas you pummel with whites. This is a terrible case because it fails to consider that every other pikmin has the option to pummel in such a situation. Am I wrong?

Now if we consider that other pikmin have the same ability with generally superior statistics, can we really consider grabbing with whites a "good" choice rather than a "mediocre" or "sub-standard" choice?

I just realized that I'm confusing myself and arguing about something stupid in a topic that isn't related to the subject. AFK

Jane

Smash Hero
Your original statement that "grabbing with whites is a good choice" implies that it is preferable to grabbing with other colors. Am I wrong?
i would say grabbing with whites is superior to grabbing with reds and yellows WHEN the opponent is at mid to high percents. if theyre at mid percents, you can usually do follow up damage with a white where a red or yellow would fail. you probably wouldnt be able to follow up with with a blue or purple either, but they do really nice damage and have good knockback. and at high percents the pummel damage will not only unstale your kill moves, but do a lot of damage (like i said, not an INSANE amount) so thats why i think at mid/high percents blue/purps > whites > red/yellows.

From what I've gathered, your current case is that you grab and throw immediately with other colors whereas you pummel with whites. This is a terrible case because it fails to consider that every other pikmin has the option to pummel in such a situation. Am I wrong?
you are not wrong, but i said, i intentionally DONT pummel a lot with other colors because when i do get that white grab, i want to catch my opponent off guard. if i try to maximize my pummels every time i grab, my opponent will always be ready to mash like crazy when they get grabbed. but if i only pummel once or not at all with other colors, when i do grab with a white (and it happens fairly often which is why i do it), itll pay off because ill pummel them as much as i think i can and then throw.

Now if we consider that other pikmin have the same ability with generally superior statistics, can we really consider grabbing with whites a "good" choice rather than a "mediocre" or "sub-standard" choice?
its situational, yes. but i think it pays off. like i said before, grabbing with a white is not a rare occurance for me. sometimes your opponent is right in your face when a white is next in your line, so grabbing them would be more beneficial than throwing it because youre just gonna get punched in the face if you throw it.

the whole point of all this was because asa said "dont grab with whites" i just wanted to throw in my two cents on why i think grabbing with whites, given the right circumstances, can be good. and its not stupid! haha we both can learn things from arguing over little things like this :p

Asa

Smash Hero
i'll agree that grabbing with whites asa (loll) last resort is okay

but that instance where he dash grabbed with a white wasn't all that great of an idea

he was far enough away that tossing the white would've been the better choice

Noa.

Smash Master
white pummel 4 dthrow 6

yellow pummel 2 dthrow 8

red pummel 2 dthrow 9

purple pummel 2 dthrow 8

blue pummel 2 dthrow 12

So yeah I just did those right now and all fresh. White ties with purple and yellow, and those three are all the worst having a total of 10.

But at higher percents you can pummel a bit more which means that at when your opponent is at higher percents you can pummel a bit more to surpass yellow and purple output and eventually blue.

So white pummel to dthrow is just as good if not better than yellow and purple. Damage wise anyway.

Top Bottom