• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tucson, AZ Social/Rankings Thread (Updated 5/7/10!)

For our Tucson Power Rankings, how should order be decided?

• Panelist system

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Challenges system

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Weekly Round Robin results

Votes: 27 36.5%

• Total voters

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
I'll go to both I suppose and Ty, I'll smash tomorrow maybe? I'm free until like 6ish

I'm thinking that Wednesday would be a good mid week day...I agree that smashfests can be weekdays and tournies on weekends, and it's not like you have to go to all of them haha

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I'll go to both I suppose and Ty, I'll smash tomorrow maybe? I'm free until like 6ish

I'm thinking that Wednesday would be a good mid week day...I agree that smashfests can be weekdays and tournies on weekends, and it's not like you have to go to all of them haha
Nick, reminder that I'm coming in 4 days!

COOPER

Smash Apprentice
right on, where's it at on the 31st? or do you have a thread link?

and nick i cant tomorrow :( but soon

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Tomorrow I don't work until 4:30pm and would like to do some smashing. I like playing as Samus (except for recovering which takes foreverrrrr). Unfortunately, nobody likes playing against Samus :(

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Tomorrow I don't work until 4:30pm and would like to do some smashing. I like playing as Samus (except for recovering which takes foreverrrrr). Unfortunately, nobody likes playing against Samus :(
I don't mind playing against Samus.

I also need the practice.

Shashin

Smash Apprentice
If I've learned anything these past few days I've been playing smash, it's that I'm no longer going to use Ness. ^_^ Jackie has weaned me off of him by showing me how bad he is.

I'm gonna pick up a new main. Any suggestions?

AXE 09

Smash Master
If I've learned anything these past few days I've been playing smash, it's that I'm no longer going to use Ness. ^_^ Jackie has weaned me off of him by showing me how bad he is.

It would help if I played against you to see what your playstyle is like lol. I say to just keep playing a bunch of random characters until you find one that suits your style.

Wow, I miss tucson... the Melee scene down there seems so amazing, I miss you guys :(

I miss going to the TV lounge all the time lol.

Nick, I need to see your new place asap!

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Played enough smash, nevermind. Don't call or text me for a few days haha. My last day of summer school is tomorrow though! Woo!

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Kyle you're a flake. :(

Come smash with me sometime this week.

Jackie; I really need help. I don't feel like I'm improving any. I miss having people being able to actively train me. It's really making a difference on how progressively worse and worse I'm getting despite routinely playing with tucson's top4.

Ted:

Play Falco. <3

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
sheik
or fox
^ Not this

Play a character, YOU feel comfortable with, it helps trying all of the characters. Exploit character x's strengths/weaknesses etc, and base your judgment off of what you feel you're the most effective/efficient with.

If in the end you play Sheik or Fox, awesome and kudos to you, but play them because you feel as if you're comfortable playing them. :)

also :( that you're not using Ness anymore..makes me kinda sad to see another low/bottom tier player give up...*sigh*

Good luck to you in your hunt! ^^ not gonna lie, I think it'd be tight if you played Samus, I think Samus would do you some epic awesomeness. Not to mention no AZ player has a Samus "main". Myself, Axe, Taj, Jackie, Joey have a great Samus, but none of us main him. It'd be kinda cool ^^ but remember choose, who you feel comfortable with..

uhh yeah Yoshi *****! <333333333333

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
-yoshi +falco and we're getting somewhere.

yoshi's just a one-way ticket to getrapedbykyleandboosthisalreadyinflatedego street.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Nah, that's not what my goal is.. Xander =/, you have to understand, if I beat Kyle, you, Chris, Jackie, Axe, **** anyone for that matter w/Falco, Fox, Samus, Doc, any of my already good chars.. It doesn't mean anything to me.. It's not necessarily what I tend to achieve because i'm not striving to make my already good chars better...knowing I already have the capability to do so.. it's the character(s) I CAN'T do it with yet is what matters to me... as I've stated earlier in this thread, I will not be using High/top tier as much anymore... as my main goal is to show people "around the community" that ANY player can be played w/the proper motivation/drive..that most of us so lack. =/

However, if me playing vs them w/those characters make THEM better players, then by all means I'll play them...but I'm making my goal with Yoshi my first priority....

If me losing to Kyle's Peach with my Yoshi boost his morale/ego whatever you wanna call it, then to me, i'm somewhat doing my job... by boosting people's confidence/morale etc... I'll lose to it all day for I care if it gives him/others more confidence, at the same time, making my Yoshi better...That's 2 players making progress rather than one IMO.. which to me = more progress..

it's just the way I see it honestly. :) Hope You all understand. n_n

OkamiBW

Smash Champion

What I suggest personally, if you really can't decide, make a list of 26 characters. Play with each of them for about 5 matches or more. If something happens like you say, "Wow...I hate how DK doesn't have the ability to recover vertically," then you cross off Donkey Kong.

Don't just play a character because they're high tier. By that same token, don't just play a character because they're low tier. You don't want to be a self-proclaimed low tier hero.
The Glory of the Low Tier Hero
Strive to find a character because it's comfortable for you or it has the options that are necessary for your playstyle (for example, you might not want to play Kirby if you have an aggressive playstyle). But all in all, don't choose a character because of what character other people want you to play or because of some tier list.

YEAH!

Smash Journeyman
Kyle you're a flake. :(

Come smash with me sometime this week.

Jackie; I really need help. I don't feel like I'm improving any. I miss having people being able to actively train me. It's really making a difference on how progressively worse and worse I'm getting despite routinely playing with tucson's top4.

Ted:

Play Falco. <3
i would help you but i feel like you dont wanna be helped by me lol and do you think my Roy is good or what!? and samus is fun to play but you have to think so much with her :(

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Xander, work on your fundamentals. Don't play so laser campy since all that helps you at is laser camping, which isn't really even great with Falco. You run away and laser more than control space and their movements. You need to get more mindgames, which by my definition, is fake outs/crossups and doing the unexpected. You still try to go for routine combos instead of reacting to individual situations of DI, stage placement, etc. I understand that there are limitations based on your reaction speed, but Falco is diverse in his capabilities. It's not like a 2D fighter where you turtle until you get your chance for a breadand butter combo that does ~20 damage. You need to recognize your openings and create them instead of mindlessly shooting lasers.

You need to try harder to eliminate your bad habits. After I told you to stop waveshining versus Falcon's shield, you acknowledged that it's a bad habit but you kept on johning about the rest of your tech skill while I would stomp you out of shield and punish you continuously. Stop walking behind my shield and fsmashing, it's slow and easy to react to and punish. Stop doing shine bair at mid percents that knock me towards the center of the stage where it ends your combo. Stop letting Falcon grab the edge when he's recovering, you can let him upB onto the stage and punishing him when he gets there if you see that he wants to mix you up by wanting to land near the edge or grabbing it.

In smash it's much more important to eliminate your bad habits than to focus on incorporating shineusmash or getting frame perfect shine out of shield. What good is that shine OoS going to do when you're going to get comboed to death every stock from attacking a Falcon in his shield? Isai was so **** because he didn't get hit. Sure he could have been better if he could edgecancel every stomp and powershield more often but he was so **** good because he didn't have bad habits that would get him *****. Same with all top players.

If you want to be good at smash or anything, you need to take eliminating bad habits that you're aware of very seriously. Don't whine about how you don't get praise or any of that bull****, praise doesn't make you better. Just focus on your own **** game. The best teacher is yourself. The best smash players are self-taught. They're the ones giving advice, not receiving it. When they start out they'll ask some questions to clarify but they'll test things out themselves. How many posts do you see from Armada or SilentSpectre? When M2K posts, it's to share his discoveries and not constant critique videos. They're all great from playing and learning during those times. Learn to learn.

/xanderrant

I don't think Ness, Kirby, and Pichu should ever be used competitively. Their movesets are far too limited. A walking Sheik with ftilt will destroy them. They're so limited that all you do is spam a few attacks and it's not even fun play as them. Yoshi and Mewtwo actually have range and unique abilities that get them openings and make them viable characters.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Nah, that's not what my goal is.. Xander =/, you have to understand, if I beat Kyle, you, Chris, Jackie, Axe, **** anyone for that matter w/Falco, Fox, Samus, Doc, any of my already good chars.. It doesn't mean anything to me.. It's not necessarily what I tend to achieve because i'm not striving to make my already good chars better...knowing I already have the capability to do so.. it's the character(s) I CAN'T do it with yet is what matters to me... as I've stated earlier in this thread, I will not be using High/top tier as much anymore... as my main goal is to show people "around the community" that ANY player can be played w/the proper motivation/drive..that most of us so lack. =/

However, if me playing vs them w/those characters make THEM better players, then by all means I'll play them...but I'm making my goal with Yoshi my first priority....

If me losing to Kyle's Peach with my Yoshi boost his morale/ego whatever you wanna call it, then to me, i'm somewhat doing my job... by boosting people's confidence/morale etc... I'll lose to it all day for I care if it gives him/others more confidence, at the same time, making my Yoshi better...That's 2 players making progress rather than one IMO.. which to me = more progress..

it's just the way I see it honestly. :) Hope You all understand. n_n
you keep using ****ty yoshi while we all get better with viable characters.

AXE 09

Smash Master
What I suggest personally, if you really can't decide, make a list of 26 characters. Play with each of them for about 5 matches or more. If something happens like you say, "Wow...I hate how DK doesn't have the ability to recover vertically," then you cross off Donkey Kong.

Don't just play a character because they're high tier. By that same token, don't just play a character because they're low tier. You don't want to be a self-proclaimed low tier hero.
The Glory of the Low Tier Hero
Strive to find a character because it's comfortable for you or it has the options that are necessary for your playstyle (for example, you might not want to play Kirby if you have an aggressive playstyle). But all in all, don't choose a character because of what character other people want you to play or because of some tier list.
This is exactly what I think =D

I play both Pikachu and Falco because they suit my playstyle the best, not because of their positions on the tier list or anything like that. I recommend the same thing: Play every character for a while and choose which one(s) you liked the best.

Even after you choose your characters, you can always change your main later if you find that you aren't having fun or success with the character you chose. Just don't worry about it; the character(s) that you should play should come to you in time :)

Jane

Smash Hero
i agree with jeff and rob completely. play everyone for a while, eventually your choices will narrrow based on what you like. of course you very well may like a high tier simply because it makes things easier, and thats fine too, as long as youre having fun :)

You need to try harder to eliminate your bad habits.
In smash it's much more important to eliminate your bad habits
If you want to be good at smash or anything, you need to take eliminating bad habits that you're aware of very seriously.
this is seriously the best advice. when i focus on eliminating my bad habits which someone points out to me, or i just figure out on my own, thats when i REALLY notice improvement.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
-yoshi +falco and we're getting somewhere.

yoshi's just a one-way ticket to getrapedbykyleandboosthisalreadyinflatedego street.
Lol.

So I might have had my ego boosted as of late from all the progress I have made as a Peach main.

I've been placing well in tournaments.

I've been doing better against Chris and his falcon.

I've been doing better against Jackie (unless he feels like murdering me ruthlessly with Marth).

I got better than you pretty **** fast and have continued to stay above you.

I've learned how to play Peach by teaching myself from watching videos of Armada, other Peach players, and myself. I lost Forrest as a teacher long ago and in a relatively short amount of time I got better than him.

I do well against Joey and Tim, who I consider great smashers. I honestly don't care if I beat Tim's Yoshi, and I love practicing the matchup and helping him get better in the process.

In general, I've been doing better against the whole community and I can't wait until I can reach that next level in smash where my Peach is a major threat at tournaments and people begin talking about me past the regional level.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
You only ever talk about Peach. Or dis Xander and Spencer.
Fixed!!

I do talk about myself frequently, but it's generally because I have to defend myself against remarks from people like Xander and Spencer.

Kyle... I love you <3
AXE!! I love you! You're such an inspiration for me in smash!! I know someday you will become the best player in the world with all the dedication you've put into this game. <3

Jane

Smash Hero
thats not true rob, me and kyle have had a lot of non-smash conversations. i think you either just dont talk to him when not related to smash, or are just bothered by his ego lol

Shashin

Smash Apprentice
It really isn't. We actually had quite a bit of fun the other day before we went to Xander's for SV people. As sad as it sounds, I had a lot of fun hanging out with him even though we went and saw Eclipse.

Albeit, he does talk about himself as a good player, but from what I've seen, he deserves to. His Peach is very good and I know Peach isn't exactly easy to use, so I think he's perfectly fine.

Also, I think I'll do what you guys suggest and play with characters until I find one I like. The reason I'm dropping Ness isn't because I dislike losing, but because it's completely hopeless in certain situations. Here is what Jetfour taught me last night:

Ness can get grabbed on block or hit from his approaching fair even at max spacing from Sheik.
Ness' dash attack will whiff Sheik if she does a ftilt.
Ness' approach options are fair and dash attack. A jabbing/ftilting sheik will beat any attempt to get in or to escape pressure after blocking.
Ness' recovery can be gimped super hard by JUST FALLING ABOVE HIM! As soon as he is in a "no recover zone", the opponent can simply jump back to the ledge, however, if Ness uses PK Thunder, he pops the opponent back up anyway.

These things are just too much. I don't mind losing, but I hate having to deal with soooo many horrible things. I mean, I even have a problem with Samus just walking and jabbing! Her ftilt out spaces all of my approaches as well, so there isn't a **** thing I could do. This is sort of demoralizing. It's not that I can't make him better, but there is nothing that can be done to make these situations better.

forward

Smash Champion
Haha, man, sounds like you guys are having fun down there.

I'm having fun in Tempe with Brawl. I'm trying to become the best brawler in the state, and it's a fun new challenge.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Peach is hella easy to use, I think anybody that can't play her has an underdeveloped smash mind lol. She punishes small mistakes very hard. And float canceling? :p She's definitely a toughie to master though.

Kyle I liked your clause on me haha.

Ted, you don't need to quit Ness. He's doable against okay spacies, but just don't ever use him in a serious match haha.

Sean, it won't take you long haha. I'm pretty biased in my confidence for you in Brawl though, I always thought that you were the best. I've never played versus Chris or had good talks with him to know how he thinks so I don't have an accurate idea of how close you are to him. Any other smasher in AZ I have no doubt whatsoever that you'll conquer though. The only times I ever beat you were when you were impatient. Or I got lucky with Snake fsmash hahaha.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
thats not true rob, me and kyle have had a lot of non-smash conversations. i think you either just dont talk to him when not related to smash, or are just bothered by his ego lol
You're right. That statement was wrong.

What I meant was he only* POSTS about himself and Peach. And Kyle will attest to that.

*only is being used as a hyperbole

Top Bottom