• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tuscaloosa Competitive Smash SEVEN!!! February 13th. Featuring SMASH 64 tournament!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
RSVP via facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=278672005221&index=1

Venue: Riverside Community Center

Address:
706 Riverside Lane
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

That address may not be on google maps or mapquest for some reason, so here is the address to a building right near it. When you get there call Kevin at 205 356 2509 for further instructions.

Rose Towers
140 Hackberry Lane
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

For those that are coming from out of town, this map might help. The address is listed in the event info for Google Maps purposes, but really all you need to do is go I-20 West if your coming from/through GA/B'ham, or I-20 East if you're coming from/through Mississppi. and get off on Exit 73/Mcfarland Blvd--turn right (if you're coming from b'ham---left if you're coming from Mississippi) onto Mcfarland, and go straight for a mile or two, until you reach the Jack Warner Pkwy Exit. (you will pass the University Blvd and Campus Dr. exits)...the Jack Warner exit is a deep curve that splits into two, you want to take the curve on the right-hand side...then you will be at the upper-right hand area of the map I've provided above. Follow the purple line. Turn onto hackberry lane, it is at a stop light.. After that take the first left, you will see Rose Towers to your left (building 204 on the map). Riverside is to your right...and the building the tournament is being held at (the yellow dot with the black X/building 141) is behind the building that you initially see on the right when you turn in. The purple circles are the ideal parking places. On weekends, you won't get ticketed unless you park in a spot that isn't a real parking spot (like in the grass), or in a handicapped spot. Also avoid faculty (green) spots, i'm not sure if they ticket you for parking there, but to be on the safe side, try to avoid them. Use the map to find the building, if you need help, call me (Kevin) at 205 356 2509

Date: February 13
Time: 10:00am - 11:00pm
Street: 140 Hackberry Lane, Tuscaloosa, AL
Phone: 205 356 2509
Email: kevindarnellpeterson@yahoo.com

Proposed Schedule
9 A.M-11 A.M -- Registration/Friendlies/Warm-Up
11 A.M-3 P.M. -- Doubles Bracket
3 P.M. - 4 P.M -- Lunch Break/Last Call for Random/Singles Registration
4 P.M. -- Smash 64 Tournament Begins
5 P.M -- Singles Swiss Begins
8 P.M-11 P.M -- Singles Bracket

PLEASE SHOW UP ON ****ING TIME.
Entrance fees : $10 for singles, and $10 per person for doubles. $5 (per person, or $10 per team) for Smash 64
Meaning if you want to enter brawl Doubles and brawl singles as well as Smash 64, you will need $25. There is no door fee.

PRIZES for all tournaments :

IF MORE THAN 25 PEOPLE/TEAMS ENTER any tournament, the top four will get paid, and the split will be (roughly--if I am unable to make the correct change, I will round to the nearest multiple of 5)
1st. 60% 2nd 25% 3rd 10% 4th. 5%

If less than 25 entrants: 1st 60%, 2nd 30%, 3rd 10% of the prize pool.

If, randomly, we gain over 50 entrants, I will considering paying out top 6

BRAWL RULES:
3 STOCKS
7 MINUTE TIME LIMIT
ALL ITEMS OFF, EVEN SMASHBALLS.
TEAM ATTACK ON (For Doubles)
STOCK SHARING IS ALLOWED
METAKNIGHT IS ALLOWED

If a round ends with a Suicide move, such as Bowser's and Ganondorf's foward B, as well as Kirby and Dedede's swallow suicides, Sudden Death will NOT be PLAYED, the match will be awarded to the player who initiated the suicide attack.

Neutral Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville
NOTE: LYLAT IS NO LONGER A NEUTRAL STAGE

Banned Stages: Green Hill Zone, Hanenbow, Corneria, Green Greens, Mushroomy Kingdom [Overworld/Underworld], 75m, Rumble Falls, Bridge of Eldin, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, New Pork City, Skyworld, Temple, Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Onett, Spear Pillar, Mario Bros., Mario Circuit, Flat Zone 2, The Summit, Big Blue, Pokemon Stadium 2, Port Town Aero Drive, Shadow Moses Island, Luigi's Mansion, Jungle Japes, Pirate Ship

Every other stage is available as a counterpick.

You may use stage strike method, instead of random stages on the first match if you choose.

SMASH 64 RULES
Entry Fee: $5
Prizes: 1st=60% 2nd=30%, 3rd=10% of the prize pool.

•Double Elimination (No pools or Swiss)
•All matches are best of 3, with finals best of 5.
•5 stock
•Ten minutes time limit
•Ties broken by lives/percentage
•Items OFF

Stages/Characters:

••Stages available: Peach's Castle, Hyrule Temple, Saffron City, Dreamland and Congo Jungle
••If a player plays Ness, he may demand a re-pick if Saffron City is selected as a random stage, however if the opponent is the loser he has the right it counter-pick Saffron City. (This is because Ness's recovery is severely limited on this stage)
••All other stages banned
••First round stage is random or agreed upon by both players
••Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
••Double Blind pick may be called for before the first match

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER. No controller can or will be provided.

ONLY THE NINTENDO 64 VERSION OF SSB WILL BE PLAYED. VIRTUAL CONSOLE, HACKED, AND EMULATED VERSION WILL NOT BE ALLOWED.

As always we need as many tvs, Nintendo 64's, and copies of Smash as possible. If you can bring any of that stuff, BRING IT. IT CAN'T HURT.

Additional Info:
Bring your own controller, No gameplay altering hacks (except Tripping Off, that's legal), No playing friendlies if a money match or tournament match needs to be played on your TV, No stalling, no glitches that freeze the game or make it unplayable. No turbo buttons on controllers, no controller mods (except removal of L and R springs and purely cosmetic mods)

IF YOU "PLANK" i.e Ledge Stall, you MUST immediately get off the ledge and plant your feet onto the stage (I.E within one or two seconds) if your opponent has clearly moved to the other edge of the stage and has stopped engaging you. IF you do not, you will be DQ'd for stalling the match.

BRING SET UPS. A full set up is a TV, Wii, and Brawl. PLEASE BRING FULL SET UPS. Even if you can't bring a full set up, BRING SOMETHING, whether it is a TV, a console or a game, or a surge protector.

Call Kevin at 205 356 2509 for any help getting to the place.

Call, message, or email me, if you want more detailed rules about how the tournament works.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Do a lot of people play ssb64 in alabama? How many do you expect for ssb64? And melee?

Winnar

Smash Lord
Smash 64 will probably be a pretty popular event. I expect a lot of people will enter it just for the novelty of it.

Also banning japes <3

I might be at this.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Why ban Jungle Japes? Its a fair stage with no random elements. Pirate ship makes sense though. Nice to have a tusca tournament again. I'll probably bring a set-up.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
im expecting 64 to be pretty popular too. i think the locals will want to try it out as well. its the game that started most of us all on this whole smash bros. bisnezz

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure i've never seen a match on jungle japes where someone didn't lose a stock to the stage
well you don't get japped if you know the timing... its a pattern.
If you don't like it you could just ban it against your enemy.

And its not like peach is especially good on that stage, Winnar.

And I will definitely be entering 64.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its not the just the clap trap. its the water in general.

in a stage where its pretty easy to fall in the water; merely touching the water guarantees a lost stock to many characters, and puts the rest of the characters in a unfavorable condition.

not to mention the stage strongly encourages camping (which in and of itself is why many stages are banned)

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I think there should be 64 Doubles. Also I'm bringing a Setup for 64! (TV, Console, Smash64, and 3 Controllers) =D

Looking like the 64 tourny might be as big as the brawl! +1

Also any chance of some friendly Melee? I can bring a cube and Melee as well. Sorry, only gotz 1 TV

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
February 13th is definitely correct. Kevin probably just used an old template.

64 Doubles can be an issue because it lags worse than Fountain of Dreams on Melee.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
February 13th is definitely correct. Kevin probably just used an old template.

64 Doubles can be an issue because it lags worse than Fountain of Dreams on Melee.
True that, but with me playing, it will end very quickly =D

That's a lot better than August 22.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah, sorry date is corrected.

no 64 doubles. unless you want to be there until 3 in the morning

please post if you plan to bring a set up.

please bring set ups.

its not really that big of a deal to bring the set up. unless your TV is huge. don't be lazy guyz.
if you give the lady at the desk your license you can borrow a cart to help bring your stuff up to the venue

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Also WE NEED PEOPLE TO BRING NINTENDO 64s AND COPIES OF SSB. (with everything unlocked of course.)
this is essential.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Well too bad I live so far from Alabama. I'd definitely come for ssb64. I never got to play moogle in melee either.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Also WE NEED PEOPLE TO BRING NINTENDO 64s AND COPIES OF SSB. (with everything unlocked of course.)
this is essential.
I've got one Setup for SSB64 including TV (32") N64, SSB and 3 controllers. With everything unlocked.

Just a side note.... I may have to leave early. But I'll be there most of the day. It just depends.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
"IF YOU "PLANK" i.e Ledge Stall, you MUST immediately get off the ledge and plant your feet onto the stage (I.E within one or two seconds) if your opponent has clearly moved to the other edge of the stage and has stopped engaging you. IF you do not, you will be DQ'd for stalling the match."

Not going if this is as arbitrarily defined as it seems to be.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
"IF YOU "PLANK" i.e Ledge Stall, you MUST immediately get off the ledge and plant your feet onto the stage (I.E within one or two seconds) if your opponent has clearly moved to the other edge of the stage and has stopped engaging you. IF you do not, you will be DQ'd for stalling the match."

Not going if this is as arbitrarily defined as it seems to be.
I hope not either. I think if used excessively to stall the match, then sure. But the time should be greater than 1 or 2 seconds.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the fact that people are so interesting in being gay during a match that they need some rule to tell them how much they are able to stall a match before they are DQ'd makes me sad.

if you plan to stall out your matches, please don't come to my tournament and you wont have to deal with arbitrary rules

if you don't plan to stall your matches, then you have nothing to worry about.

its very very simple.

im not interesting in running tournaments or being involved in a community, where people rely on stalling tactics to win matches rather than actually learning characters and character matchups.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Its a rule designed to balance the match and to discourage stalling. Just like in basketball you have to move the ball across the half court line in 10 seconds or else its a penalty. Its relatively arbitrary but it has a useful and needed purpose, and it circumvents the sticky issue of needing to ban anything.

note: it says "if you ledge stall" not "if you hang from the ledge"

so it has to be relatively clear that you are stalling before the opponent can even attempt to call you out

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

so it has to be relatively clear that you are stalling before the opponent can even attempt to call you out
Nicely pointed out. I was thinking of just hanging from the ledge and being DQ'd.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
im coming to win another AL tournament.
really, im getting tired of winning all this money all the time guys...
someone beat me prplz?

also, japes is gay and has too high of a ceiling. if japes is legal corneria should also be legal because if having a high celing isnt a problem having a low one shouldnt be one either...
and i will pick snake and hold up on the control pad and press A for 8 minutes if corneria is legal :)

as far as the planking rule, i think AL is one of the less campy/gay states around man... like... we dont even grab release half the time... we are pretty legit compared to some states ive been too. so like... someone arguing about that isnt really neccesarry because i doubt anyone will stall because i have never seen it happen before and i really doubt it will. so its not a big deal.

get hyped guys, i want to get good at this game again before i come here so i can stay on the PR.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
the fact that people are so interesting in being gay during a match that they need some rule to tell them how much they are able to stall a match before they are DQ'd makes me sad.

if you plan to stall out your matches, please don't come to my tournament and you wont have to deal with arbitrary rules

if you don't plan to stall your matches, then you have nothing to worry about.

its very very simple.

im not interesting in running tournaments or being involved in a community, where people rely on stalling tactics to win matches rather than actually learning characters and character matchups.
Its a rule designed to balance the match and to discourage stalling. Just like in basketball you have to move the ball across the half court line in 10 seconds or else its a penalty. Its relatively arbitrary but it has a useful and needed purpose, and it circumvents the sticky issue of needing to ban anything.

as far as the planking rule, i think AL is one of the less campy/gay states around man... like... we dont even grab release half the time... we are pretty legit compared to some states ive been too. so like... someone arguing about that isnt really neccesarry because i doubt anyone will stall because i have never seen it happen before and i really doubt it will. so its not a big deal.

get hyped guys, i want to get good at this game again before i come here so i can stay on the PR.
As far as I'm concerned, you're just nerfing my character, and with arbitrary rules (With the definition AND the reason for the rule), at that.

There are a lot of dumb things in this game, and singling out MK just seems so... I dunno. You may as well go ahead and ban camping. That'd make this game more interesting if that's your goal.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
New rule for this tournament:

If you don't start the match with a running usmash towards your opponent, you are disqualified.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
lol, Dan, you're the only one this rule is going to affect hardcore.

And not because you main Meta Knight.

You're SWF name is akin to DANGER, but you don't do anything dangerous...

You should change it to Campfer.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
metaknight isn't the only character that can plank.

but its really really simple as i said already.

if you plan to stall your matches. don't come. i dont want you to come.
if you dont. then you have nothing at all to worry about. just play your game. you know as well as i do the difference between stalling and camping.

its annoying that anyone would pretend they dont know the difference. like seriously stop bs-ing me. do you are do you not intend to stall out your match? do you intend to fight your opponent, or run away form them the whole time. its really really simple. someone who relies on planking to win a match is clearly someone who intends to stall rather than engage the opponent. maybe thats cool at other tournaments but it is not cool at my tournament. simple.

like its so simple. theres no need to even argue about it. if you are coming to my tournament intending to stall your matches out. i strongly suggest you dont come. easy choice.

stalling is banned at my tournaments. if you do it, you're DQd and if you don't you're not. easy. you are a human being with a will, you know what your will is. if your will is to stall your matches out, you will probably be DQd. and if thats how you play this game, i dont want you at my tournament. simple as that. i'm interested in helping to build a competitive community of players who like this game, have fun with this game,a nd are interested in learning to get better at this game. i am not interested in making a place for people who are only interested in winning money whether or not they are actually good at the game or are contributing to the overall community experience of the game. thats my philosophy. i'm one man. you may disagree. you are entitled to that. but its my tournament. play to win whatever whatever. if this game is no longer fun because a couple of douches decide they care more about winning like 50 bucks in a tournament than the overall community experience, then im not interested in playing or running tournaments anymore.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
It should never be your intention going into a round to time out your opponent. Any time I've ever run the clock out in a tournament match (probably one or two times), it was a decision I made anywhere from one minute to thirty seconds left in the game.

I really hate this game. I only feel like entering doubles and 64.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol, Dan, you're the only one this rule is going to affect hardcore.

And not because you main Meta Knight.
Yeah, it's because I want to win.

long post
Who said anything about stalling? I want my opponents to approach me because I have a relatively difficult time approaching a lot of characters. Essentially, you're banning my camping game. If you can't understand why I'm upset then go play Snake without grenades or something else ridiculous like that.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
It should never be your intention going into a round to time out your opponent. Any time I've ever run the clock out in a tournament match (probably one or two times), it was a decision I made anywhere from one minute to thirty seconds left in the game.

I really hate this game. I only feel like entering doubles and 64.
Yeah, what George said. What if it's like the last 30 seconds of the game, and you just decide to time them out?

Top Bottom