• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uair-footstool-QAL potential death combo (video pending)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Is is just me, or does it seem like most new discoveries in Brawl appear to be ridiculous combos and/or infinites that lead to death? If this is a true death combo, this appears to be an incredible find, but honestly it's starting to get pretty silly.
ya think? lol ive noticed that since at least the IDC. anyways nice find, but its just stupid

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Not trying to start a Brawl vs. Melee debate, so don't take it that far, please, but afaik, Melee had its fair share of dumb combos as well. That's just how a game like Smash works..... Brawl's gimmicky mechanics happen to make it look worse because instead of a "legit" move, it works out of something like a footstool.

Regardless, ESAM and Prime put a lot of work into coming up with this stuff, and it's been thoroughly tested to prove that it works, so it's really no different from any other difficult combo. If you think it's too stupid or lame to use in a match, guess what? No one's forcing you to use it. I doubt it's going to become a staple in anyone's game anyway, so there's really no reason to complain.

Can't wait to see if this is doable in a tourney environment, though. My guess is that it'll turn out to be about as useful as the original Footstool Combo, although it seems to be relatively easier to pull off.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I did it against my friend, so it is very possible indeed. It isn't even that difficult.

cutter

Smash Champion
Not trying to start a Brawl vs. Melee debate, so don't take it that far, please, but afaik, Melee had its fair share of dumb combos as well. That's just how a game like Smash works..... Brawl's gimmicky mechanics happen to make it look worse because instead of a "legit" move, it works out of something like a footstool.
I'm not trying to start a Melee/Brawl debate either, but here are my two cents on Brawl's discoveries with these new combos/chaingrabs/etc.

Most of Melee's combos involved the person being comboed to have some control over their character; usually this is DIing in a direction and teching into a platform to try and trick the opponent and escape the combo.

In other words, you have interactivity in the game. People like games that are interactive; it's simply natural because both people are having fun.

A lot of the stuff that has been discovered in Brawl like DDD's true infinite on DK, ICs infinite throws, and footstool combos are for the most part non-interactive, which means the victim has little or no control over what their opponent does.

These types of non-interactive combos instill a sense of complete hopelessness in the victim knowing they can never get out and have no options of escape. This is also why Wobbling in Melee was (and still is by many people) shunned by the community when it came out because it is a non-interactive infinite. Even though Wobbling has shown it didn't break Melee and it didn't make ICs god tier, people still banned Wobbling simply because of its non-interactivity.

Disclaimer: I am against banning DDD's infinites, ICs, infinites, footstool infinites, or infinites and/or chaingrabs of any kind unless they have proven they degenerate, overcentralize, and break the game.

Talonzz

Smash Cadet
Whoever programmed pikachu must be a huge fan of pokemon.

LOL

Welp, time to go back to SSB64 before this game becomes infested with infinites!

napZzz

Smash Hero
Brawl just keeps getting dumber and dumber..people should stop looking into these stupid footstools <_<

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Very nice. Decided to semi-break my hiatus and practice this :p. So a few things I noticed you guys probably know but will say just in case.

First you might want to make a note that its a sh uair. I know its obvious after you do it but it might be worth adding. Also, it has to be done with the primary part of pika's tail, the tip doesnt send them up enough. And having the highest percent itll work at fresh might also be helpful.

Also, does this work with full hop uairs at certain percents? I tested it on MK at 85% with a full hop uair and it seemed to work. Pikachus double jump seems to be as high as his first jump so I did a QAC uair too at 85% and it seemed to work. The only thing is you cant QA directly down, it has to be a double QA angled to the ground and side then another through the opponent, which isnt too hard. Only reason I mention the ones at such a high percent is because it seems like a decent set up for an early kill.

For those that like tap jump...this really doesnt work well for tap jump. I dont think you can short hop cancel a uair, youll either upsmash or do a full hop uair. And short hop tap jumping oos is a pain, so its probably best to sh with x or y and hold up and press a. Doing this oos seems important too since its an easy set up if someone hits the back of your shield, I think most pikas were already doing that but following up with an nair or fair.

Talonzz

Smash Cadet
Brawl just keeps getting dumber and dumber..people should stop looking into these stupid footstools <_<
Agreed. If things like this keep up, it wont be long now before everyone will be really frustrated about this game and eventually quit.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
what truth said, it would be great to figure out the maximum % this worked at.

But to burst the bubbles of Pikachus... CP a stage to avoid this technique like rainbow cruise, or a transforming stage... hell i think platforms could get in the way.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Game 1: Stage striking = Strike FD and SV. so BF YI and Lylat are left.

If you lose game 1 to someone who can do this GG :)

Point of my post was to show you can do something about that tactic.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's not really escapable. The thing that prime is saying is that you can move when you are falling from the footstool, but the pikachu can just follow it by waiting a little and QAing accordingly.

Avion

Smash Apprentice
I really hope somebody discovers some type of escape from this, as unlikely as it may seem. This is just absurd.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
I'm not trying to start a Melee/Brawl debate either, but here are my two cents on Brawl's discoveries with these new combos/chaingrabs/etc.

Most of Melee's combos involved the person being comboed to have some control over their character; usually this is DIing in a direction and teching into a platform to try and trick the opponent and escape the combo.

In other words, you have interactivity in the game. People like games that are interactive; it's simply natural because both people are having fun.

A lot of the stuff that has been discovered in Brawl like DDD's true infinite on DK, ICs infinite throws, and footstool combos are for the most part non-interactive, which means the victim has little or no control over what their opponent does.

These types of non-interactive combos instill a sense of complete hopelessness in the victim knowing they can never get out and have no options of escape. This is also why Wobbling in Melee was (and still is by many people) shunned by the community when it came out because it is a non-interactive infinite. Even though Wobbling has shown it didn't break Melee and it didn't make ICs god tier, people still banned Wobbling simply because of its non-interactivity.

Disclaimer: I am against banning DDD's infinites, ICs, infinites, footstool infinites, or infinites and/or chaingrabs of any kind unless they have proven they degenerate, overcentralize, and break the game.
It's not really escapable. The thing that prime is saying is that you can move when you are falling from the footstool, but the pikachu can just follow it by waiting a little and QAing accordingly.
I think that's a reasonable enough "escape" technique. The pikachu needs to really know what they're doing to pull it off.

Meow.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I have two questions about this combo. One, has SDI been tested on this? Two, on the list of characters this works on does the quick attack force a get-up animation?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I have two questions about this combo. One, has SDI been tested on this? Two, on the list of characters this works on does the quick attack force a get-up animation?
As far as I know, whether or not SDI works is still being tested/debated. Some say yes, others say not really..... it's in the works?

To your second question: Yes, QA forces you to stand. There's nothing else you can do.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447

I forgot to say: valid point. I see what you're saying.

This definitely won't break Pika (not saying you said it would, just speaking in general now).... and honestly, not enough people use Pikachu to the point where it'll be a huge deal. People will freak out, then it'll die down and be forgotten about for the most part.

Even I have to admit that it's sort of lame, though. That being said..... I'mma practice this tomorrow. =X

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Wow...another 0 death, except it works on everyone. If this doesn't affect the tier list I'll eat a Pikachu plushie. On camera.
Guys, make sure that we don't let him forget this. :laugh:

Whoever programmed pikachu must be a huge fan of pokemon.
Say that to Jigglypuff users. :(

On topic, if this combo seriously works. that's just plain ridiculous. At least the 0-80 or so chaingrabs only work on a handful of characters.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Isn't just me or is it when some thing like this is found everyone gets all scared and tries to dumb it down, while they would love if something was found for their character?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It isn't able to be escaped. Hell, we don't even have to start at the lowest % i say. YOu have A LOT of chances to do it. The higher the % the person has, the more frame advantage pikachu has, so it makes it even easier to do it. Also, it isn't very hard to do. Practice it for a day. Hell, even if you mess up the QA, you can still read their roll and punish them >_>

Yay people are trying to justify this not working.

Gindler

Smash Champion
This looks pretty legit actually. Unlike that Sheik infinite that never had me convinced. Worst case scenario you have to start using it at 60% just to land that massive kill move.

gallax

Smash Hero
i think someone should test the SDI when the uair hits fresh and staled at all percents up to ~90%. it looks like its escabable after a certain percent.

Top Bottom