• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uair-footstool-QAL potential death combo (video pending)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
But once you get to the jab lock %s, you can start that...so you don't even have to go to 90%. Also, gallax, why don't you test it? I spent 7 hours testing it and i really don't feel like doing more...you and prime should test it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Ok. I'll probably test more at some point...just not today. 7 hours 2 days ago is way too much lol. I did it straight (with a dinner break at one point)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So can I send you replays of me doing this on every single character and you can make it good? I would need your wii number since the problem is i can't get it to my laptop and do it. I could put what to say, then you can send the video back and I can upload it.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
I tried a few things that werent in debug. A few things I found.

1. It seems pika is unable to get the footstool after a given percent for the close range short hop u-air, somewhere around 40 to 45%.

2. Using the long range sh uair it looks like pika can pull it off again around 50% on MK. Looks like it could be di'able or may have enough time to attack. The long range sh uair looks to end around 80%.

3.Around 85% (on MK) you can start using a fresh full hop uair and do a double QA to catch them, it almost seems easier. But it also seems more likely to be di'd or gives time to attack then the close range sh uair but not as much as the long range sh uair. So these two might just be pseudo ones or maybe just this one will work.

So if the last two arent diable or leave enough time for an attack (lot of ifs), the window to use this technique might look something like this (with heavy number revisions).

MK: close range sh uair (24-40%); long range sh uair (45-80%); close range full hop uair (85%-something)

Long range full hop looks like it wont work at all. Even if they can di out of the other two its still a nice pseudo lock.

Also, doing this with tap jump off is significantly easier.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Truth, you should test it in debug. The more % they have the more frame advantage you have, so they shouldn't have time to attack.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Haha, well, it's not like Marth doesn't have his own reloop combo. His is just super hard to execute. Anyway, let me know if Pikas master this, and I'll just camp you instead of chase you everywhere. Thunder Jolt isn't really that threatening, and Pika approaching Marth is still laughable if I camp.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
some more implications of this, which some people may not realise yet. this can be done at low percents on fox, force a getup to a grab. would work on the high cgable chars. also at high percents you can do this once to thunder. ie at like 90, do it once, then qac to thunder on them. all of a sudden pikachu has a way to force a grab on the cgable chars, and a reliable kill move. also RAR uair just became useful as an approach again.

also peirce make one mistake in the air, just one, and we can get a uair off on you. thats all it takes. honestly uair is what i use most often to break marth camp anyways

The Truth!

Smash Ace
ESAM I dont have debug mode yet. I think Im going to get it soon though. But I can basically only do stuff on the weekends, and the next two weekends Ill probably be busy.

Also, I think its silly that people have come in here and just determined that its escapable with DI or SDI, etc. without spending anytime looking at what people have said about it. If you came in here to just critique it at least bother to look at whats been tested or ask the person who spent seven hours working on it. I know every person think they're a genius in their own right but Im sure if in 5 minutes it crossed your mind that it might be escapable with DI or SDI it probably crossed the testers minds in 7 hours.

I do think pierce is correct though, this isnt game changing for pika unless people start using this consistently, and while this does seem practical and much easier and reliable then other gimmicky footstool combos, I dont see this as something thatll be used quite often. But I could be wrong, best thing to do before anyone says its game changing or useless is to just wait and see. Although I dont think camping will be a succesful strategy for marths against pika :p sounds like something that would backfire. You have a sword anyways, you shouldnt be getting hit by uair unless you make a mistake.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You have a sword anyways, you shouldnt be getting hit by uair unless you make a mistake.
Not that I fight expert Marths on a daily basis or anything, but Marth isn't exactly a fortress from below. Getting a uair on any character isn't crazy hard, especially when it can be led into (I won't say combo'd into, because at that high of a percentage, it's not guaranteed) from things like dthrow and utilt. Or you could even uthrow and bait a punishable aerial. Or you can uair out of shield.

I'm not saying whether these options will make this combo infinite whatever thingy useful or not, but getting the uair won't be the hard part.

gallax

Smash Hero
i just wanna say that i get at least 3-5 utilts in a match and thats from ffing a fair behind the opponent. uair is also comboed out of this setup.

NOTE* im gonna gets some vids of this in real matches. i have a feling that this can be abused, if it is only one time a match, which is still a free stock.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i just wanna say that i get at least 3-5 utilts in a match and thats from ffinf a fair behind the opponent. uair is also comboed out of this setup.
Oh, yeah, I completely forgot about FF fair. (I had a feeling I was forgetting something....)

So.... yeah. Getting uairs isn't hard at all.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You can di after the footstool to avoid the qa, so it's not an infinite. This is still a really great set up for thunder. It's almost broken.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
u-air to something used to be my standard response when someone hit the back of my shield, it has a lot of horizontal range. Until I started failing with pikachu and reverted to nair. Although at least for me this is really hard to do out of shield with tap jump on.

And I agree with Prime, you should take infinite out of the title.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
He means its not an infinite, they can get to the ledge at some point. I think the safest bet is to just prepare to do a second QA in case the first one misses, you have to do that for the full hop uair anyways.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
He means its not an infinite, they can get to the ledge at some point. I think the safest bet is to just prepare to do a second QA in case the first one misses, you have to do that for the full hop uair anyways.
Indeed. And besides, I think this trick is more practical as a strong setup. Many people have already pointed out that it's perfect for Thunder, but it also leads into down smash, and I suspect that there might be enough delay in the opponent getting up to be able to hit them with a partially charged forward smash for stages with close edges - though this would need to be tested.

That said, I still can't pull the **** thing off against a computer. I can only do it consistently when I have time to actually set it up. Has any one tried this against computers or opponents to any extent?

I might also just need to practice more - I definitely haven't put in 7 hours (plus ESAM's awesomeness) practicing it XD

Meow.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Thank you stealth. Prime, it isn't INCREDIBLY EASY, but it is still inescapable unless the pikachu ****s up. It can get you to the edge of the stage, and then you can just ****ing F-smash them...it's not like it HAS to lead to death, but its EASILY 40-50% if you get it, especially if it isn't one of the lighter characters who can DI a lot...

Also, for people saying it isn't applicable, there are SEVERAL ways for you to set it up very easily:

FF-fair->uair if you land behind. Uair and u-tilt both come out in 7 frames.
Oh hey, the opponent hits the back of your shield after you QA away from them. OOS uair.
D-throw-uair(most likely full-hopped)

lol brawl is dumb. why the hell does esam have to live in fl rofl
Lol i wouldn't even need this to beat you :p

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Indeed. And besides, I think this trick is more practical as a strong setup. Many people have already pointed out that it's perfect for Thunder, but it also leads into down smash, and I suspect that there might be enough delay in the opponent getting up to be able to hit them with a partially charged forward smash for stages with close edges - though this would need to be tested.

That said, I still can't pull the **** thing off against a computer. I can only do it consistently when I have time to actually set it up. Has any one tried this against computers or opponents to any extent?

I might also just need to practice more - I definitely haven't put in 7 hours (plus ESAM's awesomeness) practicing it XD

Meow.
Charged (maybe not fully) smashes are definitely possible. I've done them out of jab lock and this is no different. I practiced this a bit and the hardest part for me is getting the QA to not miss. Also, how do you make it so that the footstool doesn't make you go up very far? is that just from doing QA immediately?

CO18

Smash Hero
Thank you stealth. Prime, it isn't INCREDIBLY EASY, but it is still inescapable unless the pikachu ****s up. It can get you to the edge of the stage, and then you can just ****ing F-smash them...it's not like it HAS to lead to death, but its EASILY 40-50% if you get it, especially if it isn't one of the lighter characters who can DI a lot...

Also, for people saying it isn't applicable, there are SEVERAL ways for you to set it up very easily:

FF-fair->uair if you land behind. Uair and u-tilt both come out in 7 frames.
Oh hey, the opponent hits the back of your shield after you QA away from them. OOS uair.
D-throw-uair(most likely full-hopped)

Lol i wouldn't even need this to beat you :p
Hah that was almost funny ;)

I know gallax lol but hes the main one comin up with and practicing all these new pika cgs and infinites and stuff lol and im pretty sure d3 is a big victim to it lol.

Not like it matters. :lick:

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Lol gallax, don't get too cocky.

Anyway guys, don't get too off-topic.

So again, who doesn't think this is practical? And why haven't you actually tried doing this in friendlies or something?

Hell, the day after I tested it, my friend came over. Now he isn't the BEST opponent, but he can get me to 1-2 stock every time with lucas. I got him in about 5, but stopped because it is kinda unfair to do it to my friend who doesn't even play competitively.

So yeah, it does work, stop crying and lrn2camp more

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Well, I just went to my wii and tested this for a while. It worked perfect and even with DI involved, the only way my friend got out was because I messed up....and I suck with pikachu pretty bad. Plus, I'm not posting in this thread just to try and say ZOMG DIZ COMB0 DUSNT WURK, I'm pretty sure it does. Further testing could say otherwise, but it looks like a legitimate infinite so far.

Arora

Smash Apprentice
ill try this
makes me want to learn pikachu
but pikas too hard to learn
maybe i should just use my brains and learn pika
or maybe i should stop talking to myself

Top Bottom