• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Under Construction (FAQ + Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i just had a random though. i was thinking about ways to counter stuff oos, and thought that dair was snake's fastest oos option. but really, that shouldn't be true. grenade pull oos is faster. can anyone think of any good applications for this? i was thinking that maybe we could do it to an mk eating our shield with nado (trade percents). would it work?

etecoon

Smash Hero
Can someone help me out please?
frame data thread is incomplete and doesn't have the necessary data to calculate frame advantage on ANYTHING, this is something I'd really like to know about several of snake's attacks myself :/

i just had a random though. i was thinking about ways to counter stuff oos, and thought that dair was snake's fastest oos option. but really, that shouldn't be true. grenade pull oos is faster. can anyone think of any good applications for this? i was thinking that maybe we could do it to an mk eating our shield with nado (trade percents). would it work?
it's posssssssssible but I doubt the practicality of it, even if it does work you'd have like a 1-3 frame margin of error maybe meaning that a lot of times you wouldn't even trade damage, you'd just get taken in...and isn't grab faster? mikehaze made a topic on tactical a while ago saying that most characters can actually shield grab MK during tornado on shield(dependent on him being parallel to you but so is grenading)

Attila_

BRoomer
it's posssssssssible but I doubt the practicality of it, even if it does work you'd have like a 1-3 frame margin of error maybe meaning that a lot of times you wouldn't even trade damage, you'd just get taken in...and isn't grab faster? mikehaze made a topic on tactical a while ago saying that most characters can actually shield grab MK during tornado on shield(dependent on him being parallel to you but so is grenading)
ive never done it with snake, although ive pulled it off with ics and falco (depending on how fast mk is mashing b). snakes grab is 8 frames, so its quite a slow oos option; i know for a fact dair is faster. would like to try this out, though.

V

Smash Ace
Can you be successful with snake if you have slow reflexes?

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
Can you be successful with snake if you have slow reflexes?
Yes. If you can predict the actions of your opponent then there is still a need for reflexes obviously, but the need won't be as high as if you were just watching your opponents actions and reacting on them.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
When is Snake's jab to ftilt safe?
When is Snake's jab to grab safe?

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
1) It's a mindgame, use it when they expect the regular jab, or regular F-tilt. Usually they'll drop their shield if they don't suspect it.

2) When you know they'll hold their shield up after the first hit. Look for patterns, if you usually just jab, they'll shield the whole thing, so mix it up.

EDIT: Anyone got some advice on Lucario mu? Hard as *** for me. :)

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people have been talking about how Green Greens is an impossible stage for Snake to lose on.

Why is he so good on Green Greens?

-Ran

Smash Master
A lot of people have been talking about how Green Greens is an impossible stage for Snake to lose on.

Why is he so good on Green Greens?
I'd say that MK is going to beat Snake here, simply because Shuttle Loop is going to kill at an insanely low percent off the edge. Granted, the close areas help Snake in terms of killing power, and the small ground area helps out the tech chase game.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that MK is going to beat Snake here, simply because Shuttle Loop is going to kill at an insanely low percent off the edge. Granted, the close areas help Snake in terms of killing power, and the small ground area helps out the tech chase game.
I can see how MK would be beast.

I can also see how it would really help out the tech chase game a ton and with stage control. Idk I've just been hearing a ton about Green Greens lately and how amazing it is, but when playing like a DDD, Ice climbers, Falco, or Pikachu it wouldn't be that great. Wouldn't it be just as effective to go to like Halberd?

Calzorz

Smash Lord
green greens has been banned at every tourny iv been to and thats alot so i cant say iv had experiance on it however i can see why it wud be very good for snake if its roughly same as meele iv basically never played on it so yea here goes some info from meele and genral knowledge:

meele fox can kil jigs at like 55-65% with an upsmash so that means its a really low cealing but the brawl version might be a bit higher cealing i dono? so the up tilt will be awsome , the blocks will help tech chasing alot and the small stages split into 3 2 smaller than the middle yet there all stil small really so yea tech chasing is excellent also the bomb blocks wil get blown up by granades increasing the hitbox so that could go in snakes favour for big % also

thats all i can think of

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
just my 2cents but i think its best to be discussing green greens on the stage discussion thread(which happens to be discussing green greens right now).

I dont rly know how well snake does vs MK here. If Snake stays on the middle part of the stage I'd say its def in his advantage bc of the low ceiling and the platforms. But if MK gets the lead he can stall/plank on the sides and force Snake to approach, which would rly be bad for snake. So I guess it's down to how well the Snake uses his projectiles to damage a planking mk.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Anyone got some tips/suggestions or whatever they do to cook grenades safely, without it exploding on you, and having enough time to throw it before the opponent rushes you.

Underload

Lazy
Pull nade -> shield drop nade -> uncharged mortar (or charged, depends on how much you want to cook) -> ADCT nade

That should be, like, the base for all of your grenade cooking.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Anyone got some tips/suggestions or whatever they do to cook grenades safely, without it exploding on you, and having enough time to throw it before the opponent rushes you.
I just run with it or chill, maybe leave it on the ground and know when the time is up. If I'm already holding it and the other person is far away, i'm just gonna throw it. If they get up close I just close in and shield/spot dodge when the explosion happens so I dont get blown up and they might

if I dont want anyone coming in to mess with me though I just try to keep out 2 nades at a time...one protecting me and the other one going out in a bit of a chain like that with different ways of getting the nades out there..

Calzorz

Smash Lord
go to training mode and practice timings with nades and see wot moves you can do while the nade is cooking and pick it up and throw it to get the timing perfect , after maining snake a year i prety much know when every nade will explode and when to throw it so it comes over time

tekkie

Smash Master
did anything ever come of that b-reversal in the tornado thing?

does snake still get rocked by tornado?

edit: also what uses does a mine at the edge of a map serve in between your opponents stocks (every snake on the planet does this but i never see much done with it)

Attila_

BRoomer
a favourite of mine: pull nade --> throw high (hold back) --> dj --> insta throw down --> wavebounce another nade --> land, shield --> throw the first nade you pulled

it'll go off about a quarter second after you throw it. only works if the opponent is giving you space, though. looks cool but :)

@tekkie: mk can still hit snake with the tornado even after a b reverse, if that's what you mean. the spacing is a lot hard though (he'll need to get your head), making it slower and easier to push. i use this technique quite a bit myself, although ally just seems to perfectly space utilt all the time. each to their own.

g2g4gold

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, new to the boards here, hoping to improve my general game. Relative newcomer to Smash in general, I tore up the 3rd grade back in the day with my Kirby on Smash 64, but I skipped Melee entirely and arrived at Brawl when my hallmates played the occasional game of Smash.

So my goals are twofold: destroy my floor my next year at college, at see if I can attend a tournament or two before the end of summer.

I need your help.

I've been working hard since last night on improving my technical game, and I'm pleased to say it's coming along well! I can Snake dash and wavebounce, and cooking my grenades in general seems to be on target, although I prob. oughta test that in actual matches before I make that last claim. That's only the tip of the iceberg though, and there's a lot of stuff I need to work on.

- Any tips for my general grenade game? I feel like while it's improving, mine's still fairly straightforward and predictable. Any cool ways to switch it up?

- Any ways to avoid a linear playstyle in general, actually? I main Snake and Game & Watch, with a side of Luigi and Wario. My Luigi and Wario kinda blow, to be honest, and I feel like a lot of that's because both those chars thrive with a little mindgames and creativity.

- Anything I should know in general? I still have a hard time reading this site because of all the lingo involved.

- Smash DI? I've read about it, and nope, can't do it. I was playing Wolf against my friend Henry's Sheik, and his forward tilt locked me past 100%. Henry's words of wisdom also included that that should only work until 40% or so, so Jesus Christ, wow, I gotta work on that.

I posted some stuff on the Social Sites thread, so if it'd be easier for one of you guys to find me on AIM and give me a couple pointers I'd appreciate it.

Looking to contribute to the community soon as I can!
Thanks a ton!

Underload

Lazy
It's nice to see a willing newcomer every once in a while. I'll see if I can answer what you're asking.

Really, a lot of the things you're asking about can be learned through experience. Mixing up your grenade game and giving different looks both come with playing the game. They really aren't things that can be made clear through speech / text, but rather through action.

The first thing I recommend is giving this guide a thorough read, if you haven't already. You'll have all of the necessary techniques under your belt, you'll learn a little lingo, and have a solid base to build up from. Don't worry if you can't get one down, it just comes in time. It may look daunting, but these techniques really aren't that hard once you get a grasp of them. If you have trouble, then please remember to watch the videos next to each entry.

I also recommend sticking to one character. Knowing 2-4 characters well, especially so early in your Smash lifetime, is extremely difficult. I'm obviously biased toward you using Snake, but use whoever you find you're most comfortable with.

And yeah, SDI is really important to know. Try this:

1. Go into training mode
2. Choose character (preferably Snake, so you know all of the physics)
3. Choose Final Destination (FD)
4. Spawn a Smart Bomb, and throw it at your feet, so it explodes and you're in the middle of the blast.
5. Alternate hitting the control stick and c-stick up (^) as fast as you can, and notice how your character moves up from where he was before.
6. Keep repeating this until you can jump out of the explosion before it's finished.

That's basically SDI, moving during hitstun (hitstun is the time when you can't move while getting hit with a move). It's probably appropriate to note that you can SDI in any direction, not just up. It's good getting out of multi-hit moves like G+W's bair, learn it asap.

I can always give advice on AIM. If you have a question, just message me. UnderloadPete is my AIM name.

g2g4gold

Smash Cadet
Hey, thanks, man! haha I'll definitely have take you up on that offer sometime, I'll add you on AIM and if I see your name pop up, I'll be sure to ask a few questions if you've got time.

I'll be passing out for the night in a moment, but I did want try out the boost/boost pivot grabs before I crashed, and holy ****, that stuff is hard. Not sure I've gotten the boost pivot one to happen once yet, but I'm not gonna sweat it, it all takes time.

haha cool!

tekkie

Smash Master
@tekkie: mk can still hit snake with the tornado even after a b reverse, if that's what you mean. the spacing is a lot hard though (he'll need to get your head), making it slower and easier to push. i use this technique quite a bit myself, although ally just seems to perfectly space utilt all the time. each to their own.
i meant b-reversing a grenade while in the tornado to blow both characters up or something weird like that. was supposedly some supar dupar awesome discovery maybe

and yeah dsmash at the edge, how is it used?

Hey, thanks, man! haha I'll definitely have take you up on that offer sometime, I'll add you on AIM and if I see your name pop up, I'll be sure to ask a few questions if you've got time.

I'll be passing out for the night in a moment, but I did want try out the boost/boost pivot grabs before I crashed, and holy ****, that stuff is hard. Not sure I've gotten the boost pivot one to happen once yet, but I'm not gonna sweat it, it all takes time.

haha cool!
Read the guide here also--> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268454

And you should watch videos of professional Snakes

Max113

Smash Apprentice
Hey. I am having a lot of trouble versus a SideB happy bowser. (like... I simply can't beat him D: ) Does anyone have any tips/suggestions? I'm going to have to face him in a tourney soon... ._.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom