• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uniter Of The Worlds: Lloyd Irving for SSB4

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Horsetail: Didn't know about that... sorry. -_-; Because, I really hate to be spoiled, too...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Aah, but don't mind it too much. At least I'm gonna just bask on what else is out there I don't know what this has as a sequel to Symphonia. (-lul-)^

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This be hard. (-l^l-);; It's more of what you can pick up at the moment. I might suggest going with Abyss for 3DS or Graces for PS3. (Though I wonder where to find both.) Symphonia too if ya get your hand into it but I have to admit, the game feels rather aged if compared to today's RPGs.
It's aged pretty well though IMO.

And you can add me to the list of supporters, having been a fan of Tales before Namco was even confirmed to have a part in Smash 4. It's good others are learning of the series and Lloyd because of it though.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Possible additions to story mode could include Apple Gels, Lemon Gels, Life Bottles, Holy Bottles, Dark Bottles, and Magic Lens. (Possibly even purchasable?)

Apple and Lemon Gels would heal % health (Either reduces your percent by flat 30/60% or reduces your percent by 30/60% based on your total %)

Life Bottles can revive a fallen character though they will have some % penalty such as starting off with a higher percent.

Holy Bottles will prevent drawing aggro for a brief period of time.

Dark Bottles will increase the range of aggro drawing for a brief period of time. (These bottles can only be used once per stage)

Magic Lens can only be acquired on harder difficulties. Magic Lens will reveal the amount of health a single target has. This adds a little more challenge to the game.

If one or both of the systems does in fact have some sort of level-up system we could see the appearance of Arenas like in Fire Emblem where a character can duel it out and earn bonus EXP, items, gold, etc. Possible arenas could include a Pokemon Gym, Fire Emblem Arena, and Meltokio Colosseum.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I've never play Tales of Syphmonia, but after playing Super Flash Bros. 2, and watching reviews of the two games, I'm really impressed with Lloyd's character and with him being a Namco property, makes him being in SSB4 much more likly for me

kikaru

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Here's a moveset for Kratos just for funsies:

B: Demon Fang (Level 1)
B^: Light Spear (Level 2)
Bv: Hell Pyre (Level 3)
B>: Lightning Blade (Level 2)

Forward Smash: Sonic Thrust (Level 1)

Access to:
Double Demon Fang (Level 2) (Demon Fang into another Demon Fang)
Demon Spear (Level 3) (Light Spear into Demon Blade)

EX Skill: Super Chain
EX Skill: Slasher

Final Smash: Shining Bind

Kratos uses the same combo-cancelling mechanic Lloyd uses, however, the way the skills are executed is a bit different.
Kratos will have a basic 3-combo string when tapping the A-button, by canceling the last 20 frames of the third hit he will be able to repeat this 3-combo string potentially creating a 6-combo string of weak A attacks. This is EX Skill: Slasher.

Kratos can also combo-cancel a Level 1, 2, and 3 skill in any order. This gives him a huge variety in combo ability granted by EX Skill: Super Chain.

grizby2

Smash Lord
ive seen lloyd in action before when i was watching my friend play the game. i gotta say he can definetely fit inside the smash universe without any problem.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Just cleared Symphonia! The ending was quite unexpected but really left a mystical and satisfying after-impression. I'll tackle Phantasia next.

My fingers got burned so I can't do serious tasking on updating until they're cured. But I'm glad for more support!

Kikaru: Nice concept! I once thought for a moveset for Genis: he'd be essentially a character based on using his kendama to charge mana power to fire powerful spells.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sorry for the little hiatus!

I went ahead and made a signature:

Also went to clean up the OP from any weird clutter and added the ideas from the posters. The links are broken though so I'm trying to get them back.

Thanks for the contribution yet again!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm trying to get my own copy of the game off of Ebay. But I constantly am getting outbid -_-. I have to say, I would really find Lloyd a LOT more interesting that Pac Man. Pac Man really does nothing for me as far as piquing my interest.

Go Lloyd!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gotta get working on this topic more now. I guess an argument page is needed.
You could argue why he is more likely than other Namco reps or why he should get in over other Namco reps.

Also deal with the JRPG hate I keep seeing.

Just a couple of suggestions.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lloyd's definitely got no shortage of arguments against him... but many could also apply to all Namco characters.

Good luck. ;)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thanks. I really gotta need it. But if I could do it for Lip too with some favourable reception, then I don't think I'm gonna do badly with Lloyd.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd say bring up his competition, reasons for and against, etc... I really don't think he would be a bad choice, but every character has their pros and cons

kikaru

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Here's an idea you could add:

Have unison attacks in Story Mode. Similar to Tales you would need to fill a gauge and once it's filled you can perform a Unison Attack.
A Unison Attack would basically call each of your party members (The max you could pick was about 5-6 I believe?) to perform a single attack (Special, Smash, Throw). If a certain combination of attacks is used then a new attack would be used using that combination after everyone else has performed their attack.

It would be easiest to watch this video to better understand it for those who are not familiar with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ol8oUsWZY

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Finally bought my own copy of Tales of Symphonia for my Gamecube. It just has to be shipped and everything and then I can play it. I only hear good things about it so i'm pretty excited.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Finally bought my own copy of Tales of Symphonia for my Gamecube. It just has to be shipped and everything and then I can play it. I only hear good things about it so i'm pretty excited.
Woah, pretty dang sweet news! Hope you enjoy that game!

I've been bit busy still to try to work seriously on the argument page thing--- but let's see if I can do it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought of something.

If Lloyd got in, what swords would he use.

Normal swords?

Or the Material Blade?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Material Blades, of course. It's usually what he's carrying with in any crossover games (Tales Of The World, Soul Calibur Legends?) and it's his most well-known weapon.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
First off, I think it's pretty likely that Lloyd Irving will be represented, and I think that's a good thing.

That being said... it's a pity that Lloyd is the only ToS character that has a chance of getting in. I liked the less important characters that were introduced later in the game so much more... Lloyd and Colette have incredibly generic teen-anime personalities that make me want to rage. You know who would be completely awesome and unique? Regal with his capoiera leg-only combat and Presea with her oversized axe. Or even ninja summoner Sheena. They are just so much more interesting both character-wise and combat-wise than Lloyd could ever be. Sigh.

I'm thinking maybe have his attacks be a little different based on how long you hold down the B button, switching between his similar artes.

B Up tap: Tiger Blade (jump slash up, slash back down)
B Up hold: Tiger Rage (jump slash up, slash a few times to launch enemies horizontally, fall back down)
OR, ALTERNATELY, TEMPEST
B Up tap: Double Tempest (spinning blade somersault. Tapping multiple times makes him somersault-jump again in midair)
B Up hold: Blazing Tempest (A slower, more damaging somersault that cannot be interrupted.)

B Sideways tap: Sword Rain (tap quickly to maintain quick thrusts, holding will finish with a Sonic Thrust)
B Sideways hold: Sonic Thrust (A strong

B Sideways tap: Demon Fang (quick, weak wave that travels along the ground. Tapping three times in a row will send off three in succession.)
B Sidways hold: Grave Blade (Looks like Demon Fang at first but instead shotguns rocks from the ground instead of energy)

B Down tap: Beast (Side slash with a powerful bestial spirit bursting forth. Enemies not hit by the sword are blown back by a gust of air; deflects projectiles harmlessly)
B Down hold: Hunting Beast (Slower version that stuns enemies and actually reflects projectiles instead of just negating them)

Not sure if the Up B should be Tiger Blade or Tempest. Tempest seems a lot like Samus's screw attack except with a larger hit radius, tiger blade's not super exciting.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
I'd love Lloyd to be in the game. He'd be a much better representative from Namco than Pac-Man would be.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That being said... it's a pity that Lloyd is the only ToS character that has a chance of getting in. I liked the less important characters that were introduced later in the game so much more... Lloyd and Colette have incredibly generic teen-anime personalities that make me want to rage. You know who would be completely awesome and unique? Regal with his capoiera leg-only combat and Presea with her oversized axe. Or even ninja summoner Sheena. They are just so much more interesting both character-wise and combat-wise than Lloyd could ever be. Sigh.
To be perfectly fair, the whole cast suffers from anime troops. But using a trope is not a bad thing. Lloyd and Regal have the least actually (as far as I can tell).

Cool moveset though! I like the "hold" feature, although Up B should definately be Tempest.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You're probably right about Up B being Tempest. It just looks like complete overkill- like Ike's and Samus's moves put together and in fast forward. Maybe tapping twice will do the double Tempest where he bounces a bit again while holding it down does the stronger/slower/uninterruptable Blazing Tempest.

Is Presea much of a stereotype? I guess tiny girl + oversized weapon is probably a played out trope... but it's an axe instead of a sword, so that earns her points in my mind. Lloyd fits in the "Rawr, no force is stronger than my willpower (also friendship)!" trope which... is absolutely every sword-wielding, spiky-haired protagonist ever to animate in an anime.

Regal's whole thing where he refuses to ever use his murderous hands again even though they're super powerful is just great. If he was in the game and had a Final Smash where he handblasts the stage I'd be super happy.

Oh right, Lloyd. Another thing- I wouldn't mind if he actually had different swords for his different color schemes. I don't actually like the way his two material swords look together... it'd be nifty to see some of the other sword designs as well.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm not sure what you mean. Is a weapon changing that different from, say, a pokemon's hat changing? I believe all of the ToS weapons are the same length, so if they're drawing from the source material then there wouldn't be a worry of something like that confusing players. Certain color configurations would look better with different weapons...

Honestly, in the end I would just like it if you could actually configure your character's look. One button to cycle color, one to cycle costume, one to cycle the third option (in this case, swords. For a lot of characters, hats.)

Why, I even made another thread about this very idea! I'd even say that I'd want Lloyd to start off with his generic steel blades and have to unlock his material blades by completing his stadium challenges or something.
Character Aesthetic Proposal: Colors, Alt. Costumes, And Accessories

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
put me down as a supporter please!

Crowd chant for lloyd "Lloyd's on ROIDS!" um or they could just chant his name like most of the other characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just got my copy of ToS in the mail the other day. It has 80 hours of gameplay...how many hours of story may I ask?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just got my copy of ToS in the mail the other day. It has 80 hours of gameplay...how many hours of story may I ask?
40ish hours IF you know exactly what you're doing.

If its your first time, it will take about 60-80.

Not including sidequests.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
40ish hours IF you know exactly what you're doing.

If its your first time, it will take about 60-80.

Not including sidequests.
Ahhhh fiddlesticks. Looks like I have quite the commitment then. That will have to be my project for the summer lol. I'll be playing it after Pandora's Tower, and hopefully will have it done before all of those games come out for the 3DS.

Still playing Injustice too. SOOOOO GOOD

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ahhhh fiddlesticks. Looks like I have quite the commitment then. That will have to be my project for the summer lol. I'll be playing it after Pandora's Tower, and hopefully will have it done before all of those games come out for the 3DS.

Still playing Injustice too. SOOOOO GOOD
If you're REALLY committed, you'll actually play through it multiple times... throughout the game you earn something called GRADE from battles, and you spend what you've earned at the end of the playthrough to enhance your New Game+. Bringing your awesome weapons and 10x XP modifiers can make a pretty satisfying second playthrough, especially if you play with a friend or two. I miss playing as Regal...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you're REALLY committed, you'll actually play through it multiple times... throughout the game you earn something called GRADE from battles, and you spend what you've earned at the end of the playthrough to enhance your New Game+. Bringing your awesome weapons and 10x XP modifiers can make a pretty satisfying second playthrough, especially if you play with a friend or two. I miss playing as Regal...
I loved how in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, you could use your monsters from a past game.

You were able to win "unwinnable" boss fights that way.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I didn't really like Dawn of the New World... The entire time I was just wishing I was playing as Richter instead of the characters you do get. Monsters don't exactly have thrilling banter.
Besides, didn't the monsters get stronger WAY faster than your actual characters? Kind of a downer, running towards an enemy to slap it with a sword and having it suddenly disappear because your level 99 sillywug or whatever already killed it.

I did like watching ToS2's main character fight more than watching Lloyd, however. Something about holding a sword in the most ridiculous way possible really does it for me.

Edit: Oh, also, remember this. Pretty much the only thing any character said in ToS2 that I remember.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I didn't really like Dawn of the New World... The entire time I was just wishing I was playing as Richter instead of the characters you do get. Monsters don't exactly have thrilling banter.
Besides, didn't the monsters get stronger WAY faster than your actual characters? Kind of a downer, running towards an enemy to slap it with a sword and having it suddenly disappear because your level 99 sillywug or whatever already killed it.

I did like watching ToS2's main character fight more than watching Lloyd, however. Something about holding a sword in the most ridiculous way possible really does it for me.
I agree. The first Tales of Symphonia was better.

Emil and Marta were good characters. They just needed more people to play off of. As much as I love Tenebrae (I swear, he's the funniest character in gaming), he's just not enough. Monsters were kind of cool but the novelty wore off kind of quickly. I shall always love my flipping ice wolf though.

The monsters did grow more quickly than human units yes. But it evens out because of their horrid AI.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
And the monster system had certain complexities that just weren't very well-made... I constantly was wondering why I would want to evolve my creatures. They should've just had a system where monsters reach the top of their current form and then you can evolve it into another creature with identical stats but more exciting abilities.

I forgot about the "stand there and look pretty" AI. That's why, Scoliosis, you should play the games with friends if possible.

Top Bottom