• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Advancing our Smash Skills feat. $50 MM Darklink (#1) vs K9 (#3)!!

Jane

Smash Hero
i dont think i'm going to enter. between singles, food, gasmoney, and gengar, i doubt i'll want to shell out an extra $5

Herro94

Smash Apprentice
Teams already established:
RaveRemix & Lance
GV7 & Stevo
Ominous & Saffy
Silly Kyle & TommyDerMeister
Derpdaberp & Herro
Yummy & Aaven
KiraFlax & K9?

Have actually said they are looking for a partner:
Smileyface

And people who are going but haven't metioned entering:
Jane
HeySeuss
Stuff
Grapekiwi
I remember Smileyface saying he was going to partner up with lance if kyle was not his partner.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
wait if plushies are the prize for low tiers, is there still a fee? If so I'm probably not gonna enter either

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
wait if plushies are the prize for low tiers, is there still a fee? If so I'm probably not gonna enter either
There's still a fee, but of course you'll be able to win money from the pot. Saffy is simply donating those plushies as an additional prize.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I remember Smileyface saying he was going to partner up with lance if kyle was not his partner.
lol

What tommy said.

I don't care who I team with whoever is willing to team with a Bowser but I'll probably end up teaming with my friend, Relic.

If something happens with that though I'll team with anyone. My amount of ****s given is quite nonexistent =)

k9.

Smash Ace
@Rave im going to host Melee here also, so can you edit the thread and have melee put in the description and title?

If Tuscon host melee we should also. I want to get better at it also XD.

After it is made that we are hosting it, i will post it in the melee discussion.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
@Rave im going to host Melee here also, so can you edit the thread and have melee put in the description and title?

If Tuscon host melee we should also. I want to get better at it also XD.

After it is made that we are hosting it, i will post it in the melee discussion.
There is a TON of support in the Tucson monthly tourney thread for that (plus I would not mind getting better at Melee), so I will go ahead and say yes to this proposition. Not to mention, the more people present at a venue, the more enjoyable the experience there tends to be, whether or not we're competing in the same game. But yeah K9, I'll leave you in charge of hosting it though since you asked (and it also takes some responsibility off my back too).

@Smiley Tucson has actually pushed their tourney back a couple weeks, but the specific date is still being debated.

Let me go ahead and find the ruleset and stuff, brb.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
If there is going to be Melee as well, I might really have to show up. Haven't seen melee players in forever. :(

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
^We're more than likely gonna include Melee in all our future tourneys, so if you end up not being able to come you should be good.

Corigames

Smash Hero
A couple questions:
1. Have you guys talked to the school about this before committing to it? When I went there, I was part of the fighting game club. That club held regular events at the LAN parties including tournaments. However, we weren't allowed to have entry fees and pay-outs because it was considered "gambling." Has this changed or have you learned a way around this?
2. Is this event being advertised around the school? In other words, will a bunch of scrubs be there in order to inflate the total number of entrants to keep this from being an over-glorified smashfest (or at least, is an attempt being made to do this)?
3. How many set-ups are you looking to fit in 206/207 without it being jam packed in there with everyone that will be playing? I can bring a set-up if I can get a ride.
4. Count me in. I live within walking distance of U[A]T, and wouldn't be against helping TO type stuff.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I'll come to this and bring people unless cataclysmic events happen and I have to do hw or something. Gonna enter Melee Dubs, Singles, and Brawl Singles if I go.

Also...

HYPE!

k9.

Smash Ace
I'll come to this and bring people unless cataclysmic events happen and I have to do hw or something. Gonna enter Melee Dubs, Singles, and Brawl Singles if I go.

Also...

HYPE!
Help me host melee?

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
1. James, the president of QCF (i.e. for those who aren't familiar, the Fighting Games club), helped me obtain the room and has been answering any questions I had about the venue. I also forwarded all the tourney info to him, but he has not mentioned anything about the school being against pay-to-play tourneys. I'll double check with him right now, but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine (my reason for that is because we aren't officially part of the school/QCF, and we also are doing it on a non-school day)
2. James will be printing out flyers for this event and will post it around the school.
3. We will definitely need as many setups as possible- usually the Brawl side barely has enough setups to cover themselves, so Melee will definitely have to bring their own. I recall 206/207 being a gigantic room that could probably fit about 12-20 setups, which should be more than enough.
4. Sweet, K9 (the Melee TO) could probably use some of your assistance, as he's mainly a Brawl player.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It doesn't have to do with the fact that "gambling" is taking place during a school day, but on school property. Like I said, this was a problem for us then, but it might not be the same now.

Cool.

I ask because that's the room that always hosts the PC part of the LAN party. That room looks spacious, but it gets crowded really fast and requires a web of extension cords all over the floor to properly power everything. For each set-up you are going to need an outlet for a TV and a Wii/GC. To fit 5 TVs on one wall, that's 10 outlets. Throw in a couple of PCs for streams or recording games, and you have a recipe for a bunch of power strips and extension cords and I'm not sure if the school or the LAN committee would be open to lending some out. To fit enough TVs in one room for a dual Brawl/Melee tournament is going to require a lot of careful set-up, coordination, and understanding (**** is always prone to breaking at UAT and people never pay attention at tournies = FFFUUUU~).

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
To be honest Shawn, if you wouldn't mind you should probably let someone else take over organizing Melee. While your desire to head it up is admirable, we probably should let a person with more knowledge of everyone's skills run it.

ChaosTheory is looking at this board?? Hey man, it's your old buddy from UAT, Luis Salas, i.e. the mediocre Dr. Mario main. :D

ChaosTheory

Smash Ace
*pop*

Cori is correct in that you will not be allowed to exchange money on school grounds for any event that has prizes. This is against the law and will not have changed. I believe its one of the statutes in Title 13 Chapter 33 of Arizona Law. Sorry to have to bust your bubble. Trust me as someone who attempted to hold countless events at this very venue.

-----

Edit: I've been found out! Also Hey Luis. Also I believe if the money and prizes are exchanged OUTSIDE of school grounds then you can hold the event there.

k9.

Smash Ace
Lol any host one that knows how to seed and knows how a tourney runs can host a melee or brawl tourney. The reason why is because i know who the good players are in this state, i know how to seed them.

I can host melee. Having a co-host is always good just in case you mess something up, or you need them to cover for you.

@Chaos so before we get to the school, can we just do it then and give out when we leave the school?

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Cori is correct in that you will not be allowed to exchange money on school grounds for any event that has prizes. This is against the law and will not have changed. I believe its one of the statutes in Title 13 Chapter 33 of Arizona Law. Sorry to have to bust your bubble. Trust me as someone who attempted to hold countless events at this very venue.

-----

Edit: I've been found out! Also Hey Luis. Also I believe if the money and prizes are exchanged OUTSIDE of school grounds then you can hold the event there.
If that's what it takes then that's what we'll do. Although, I do recall there was an event held recently at UAT (the Aftercon event last October) where several fighting game tournaments with entry fees/monetary prizes were held. I wonder if the school is intentionally turning the other way when tournies with money are involved nowadays, or that this is just one exception to their enforcement of the statute.

ChaosTheory

Smash Ace
Honestly, its probably that the people at the school now aren't aware of the law and have seen events in the past (where no money was involved) and assume that all events of that nature are fine.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, its probably that the people at the school now aren't aware of the law and have seen events in the past (where no money was involved) and assume that all events of that nature are fine.
Good point. Well right now I'm awaiting a response from the president of QCF to find out if he knows the school's stance on tournaments with money involved. If he has any doubts of what their stance is, then we'll probably do our monetary dealings outside of school.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Assuming I end up being able to go, anybody want to play MTG? I just learned and have put together a deck. We could throw down a few dollars too

Herro94

Smash Apprentice
Assuming I end up being able to go, anybody want to play MTG? I just learned and have put together a deck. We could throw down a few dollars too
Im always down but is your deck standard, extended, legacy, modern cuz i dont want to bring a deck on the same level as yours.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
Dude I am down. I don't mind spending some cash on a new deck. We should all just buy some random booster packs and build decks from them. It's fun and takes away the whole entire buying the best cards with a **** ton of money and winning that way factor.

Trypt

Smash Cadet
I'm down to play some MTG. I'll bring my 2 standard decks, and my binder, so someone can use some cards if the need them.

Top Bottom