• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I just realized all of the announcer clips I posted aren't RSBE ready so here they are, again...

Ridley:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1fqtorsohsjsx7/RIDLEY (RSBE ready).wav?dl=0

Pichu:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnabh4hq741cmek/PICHU (RSBE ready).wav?dl=0

Roy:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a1wq4gb3ne2poj/ROY (RSBE ready).wav?dl=0

Mewtwo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qxlmbsc7jqinmg/MEWTWO (RSBE ready).wav?dl=0

Edit: ALL of these have a ton of echo, will resort to clipping a "Ridley" voice.
Darn-it RSBE recommendations!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley's announcer clip really doesn't fits others. When i tested it in-game, it came out as really weird because of the echo.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Ridley's announcer clip really doesn't fits others. When i tested it in-game, it came out as really weird because of the echo.
Does the other one I sent you work? (The one where you said the echo isn't as noticeable)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Does the other one I sent you work? (The one where you said the echo isn't as noticeable)
That one wasn't loud enough and when that was fixed, echo was a lot more noticable.
It would be better to make a new one in the same way as Roy and Mewtwo's were done. That would require using "ChaRIzarD", "ZeLda" and "TournEY" or something close to those.

themaziest

Smash Cadet
The new textures are so beautiful, I'm really impressed by this mod right now.

Moreover, don't you think you should keep a little mystery until the first release of your PSA? I think Ridley's official inclusion in Project M could be encouraged by the fact you keep things privately. I remain hopeful because Ridley IS a big deal in the Smash community and thanks to the quality of your work, but always have an ace up your sleeve!

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

Moreover, don't you think you should keep a little mystery until the first release of your PSA? I think Ridley's official inclusion in Project M could be encouraged by the fact you keep things privately. I remain hopeful because Ridley IS a big deal in the Smash community and thanks to the quality of your work, but always have an ace up your sleeve!
What purpose does keeping things Private serve other then a creator basically saying "Mind your own business"?

themaziest

Smash Cadet
What purpose? You can ask for it to any development team. Surprise effect? No "work in progress"? More hindsight? Sometimes it's better to save some suspense. Our feedbacks would also be more relevant if we were less close to the creator's perspective. This is a suggestion, not the best way to proceed...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

I don't think it would change much if those who follow this project will know its release date, which i still keep vague instead of being more precise like game developers, or various changes and additions done. If i won't post updates like one in this reply, then i won't get much feedback and they won't know just what all of this is going to be.

Back Throw and Grab attack:

Grab attack should deal 3%. I just forgot to change it. Back throw is currently the fastest, but weakest throw Ridley has. His grab also has longest start up and end lag outside of grabs like Samus'.

EDIT: updated OP with slightly improved attack descriptions (no more "same as in previous version"), remade recolors and credited all who helped with this project.

Last edited:

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Other half of remade recolors:

Proportions don't match (especially neck since it is like normal neck instead of being like an arm) and if Ridley will get an alt, then it will be something more well-known - Meta Ridley.
yea.. sorry about those identicle post I am new here and it was just an odd thought that came to me

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Why did I not know about the noise gate plug-in earlier?

Ridley:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aq32v8wh6jz9r4d/RIDLEY.wav?dl=0
It didn't changed much.
yea.. sorry about those identicle post I am new here and it was just an odd thought that came to me
Forward throw done!

It is strong and travels across nearly half of Final Destination, but Back Throw is still faster. It can be followed up with ground Down B and then aerial attacks, but knockback on it isn't fixed, so, it will stop working after opponent takes enough damage. It can be punished by other opponents, but if YOU are trying to do this, DO NOT TRY DOING THAT FROM THE FRONT OR WHILE VERY CLOSE TO HIM. You will take damage and may even get KOed.

While he grinds opponent, there is a hitbox that will drag you along with thrown opponent. While it has fixed knockback, it later is replaced by a stronger hitbox capable of KOing you at high %. It lasts for only 1 frame, but if you are caught in the hitbox with fixed knockback, then it WILL hit you. You will most likely take less than 7%, but if you were too close, then it will most likely be somewhere near 11%. Its one of the only throws that act like that. Another example is Mewtwo's Forward Throw. BUT if you have good reaction speed/reflexes/whatever, then you can perfect shield it and hit Ridley out of this throw. Fortunately, hitlag on those hitboxes is higher than normal, so, you can just use your jab without any threat. Unless its too slow (Bowser, Ridley, Zelda, etc).

Im nearly done polishing Down Throw animation, so, it will be shown soon. Up Throw will take a while to do because it has the most complex movement planned for it. Also, under Super Mushroom's effect, Ridley actually goes back to his canonical Other M size.

This makes his throws look even more brutal.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Down Throw done:

It can damage other opponents too, but damage is minor and will most likely fail to KO even at 900%. But it will keep them away from him. I wanted fire to remain on the ground after he shoots fireball, but it instead attached itself to Ridley, so, it goes away near animation's end.

EDIT: forgot to mention that Down Taunt's coding is complete and if button is held, then Ridley will use Ridley-X roar instead of normal one and it will stun everyone close to him, but animation will most likely last for too long for this to matter. It deals no damage or knockback. Roar is so loud that it may even make it hard to hear music.

Also, this thread has over 27 thousands views!

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
It didn't changed much.
I don't know what else to try. All of the spliced announcer calls I hear sound weird (minus pichu); the only other solutions are to record a new clip, or lower the volume of the current one so you can still hear "Ridley" but not notice the oh-so-hard-to-get-rid-of echo (which is probably an ambient echo).

On a higher note, you are making so much progress I dare say that this'll get done by New Years Eve!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't know what else to try. All of the spliced announcer calls I hear sound weird (minus pichu); the only other solutions are to record a new clip, or lower the volume of the current one so you can still hear "Ridley" but not notice the oh-so-hard-to-get-rid-of echo (which is probably an ambient echo).

On a higher note, you are making so much progress I dare say that this'll get done by New Years Eve!
It isn't something that important, so, we can leave out that part for now.

I'd say January. There is still a lot of animations and bug fixing to be done.

Down Taunt done:
This is if button is held. Otherwise, its just a normal roar with less camera shaking and no stunning hitbox. Now imagine having taunt match with 3 Ridleys...

Cahalan

Smash Ace
It isn't something that important, so, we can leave out that part for now.

I'd say January. There is still a lot of animations and bug fixing to be done.

Down Taunt done:
This is if button is held. Otherwise, its just a normal roar with less camera shaking and no stunning hitbox. Now imagine having taunt match with 3 Ridleys...
You can still use the character call (better yet have a poll up on the peoples opinion of it) in the mod, it's practically the best I can do when it comes to editing it from the "Brawl announcer does additional voicing" video. As for the down taunt scream make it a bit softer for those with sensitive hearing... (please?)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You can still use the character call (better yet have a poll up on the peoples opinion of it) in the mod, it's practically the best I can do when it comes to editing it from the "Brawl announcer does additional voicing" video. As for the down taunt scream make it a bit softer for those with sensitive hearing... (please?)
I'll think about it.
Well, its not DEFAULT version of the taunt and it is not as loud when one Ridley uses it. I won't touch Ridley-X version of it because if it will become softer and not as loud, then it will lose what made that roar more well-known than any other roar Ridley had.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I'll think about it.
Well, its not DEFAULT version of the taunt and it is not as loud when one Ridley uses it. I won't touch Ridley-X version of it because if it will become softer and not as loud, then it will lose what made that roar more well-known than any other roar Ridley had.
I get your point about the ear-shattering roar, and thank you for considering the character call. (The only splices I can tolerate are pichu and Waluigi; as for the Character call, and audio in general, echoes are a pain in the buttocks to get rid of, even with state of the art equipment.)

Last edited:

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
This is some fantabulus progress you are making! I can't wait for it! I wonder if people like nanobuds or other alt. costume makers will pick this up and make cool alts for him. My greatest condolences to you, Bagan.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
VERY important news:
I decided to change character that is used as a base. Now im using Pit. Reasons for it are:
  1. Because of something in Lucario's coding that can't be fixed, he was randomly rotating without a special code that messed up Ridley's feet during animations and when in the air, all transitions caused him to very noticably randomly rotate for few frames and when he collided with any object, he would rotate to face either camera or background and his Final Smash would fail to hit properly if he would have anything behind him. This is the main reason;
  2. Pit has a very generous file size limits, so, i can be less restricted with animations, which means that possibility of this Ridley being usable in vBrawl is higher.
  3. Pit can properly use reflector code, so, Down B can be what i originally wanted it to be ("Varia Ridley" or pretty much Meta Ridley from SSB4, but more accurate to Other M, being able to reflect most of projectiles);
  4. Pit can angle his projectiles and he still can charge them, even though that doesn't really changes much;
  5. Pit can glide and has true multi-jump.
Main disadvantages of Pit are that he doesn't has Final Smash i need or anything even close to that, lacks command grab (not that it properly worked on Lucario either) and if grabbed, Ridley's tail and wings won't move and will most likely go into T-pose state.
It will take a while to port everything done from Lucario to Pit....

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What about Lucario's command grab? Won't you need that?
I tried using it, but Ridley wouldn't actually throw opponent. He just grabbed, shot fireball and then opponent escaped (like when you hold opponent with a grab for too long) few frames later while still taking damage, but not knockback. I couldn't fix that at all. So, now i have to also find replacement for that.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I tried using it, but Ridley wouldn't actually throw opponent. He just grabbed, shot fireball and then opponent escaped (like when you hold opponent with a grab for too long) few frames later while still taking damage, but not knockback. I couldn't fix that at all. So, now i have to also find replacement for that.
That's a real shame, I felt that command grab was perfectly brutal for Ridley! I originally thought the grab was gonna be more or less similar to Mewtwo's forward throw, in which he holds the opponent in front of him, implements damage and then goes flying off.

Is it possible to implement the point-blank fireball animation (from Ridley's side B move) at the end of his forward throw (making it more similar to his Other M grind-and-shoot attack)? Kinda like how Fox/Falco throw and shoot their opponents with their grabs? From the wait you talk about it though, it doesn't seem like any part of the command thrown can be salvaged in any way...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That's a real shame, I felt that command grab was perfectly brutal for Ridley! I originally thought the grab was gonna be more or less similar to Mewtwo's forward throw, in which he holds the opponent in front of him, implements damage and then goes flying off.

Is it possible to implement the point-blank fireball animation (from Ridley's side B move) at the end of his forward throw (thus completing the Other M attack)? Kinda like how Fox/Falco throw and shoot their opponents with their grabs? From the wait you talk about it, it doesn't seem like any part of the command thrown can be salvaged in any way whatsoever...
I could do that. In such case, i will reduce damage dealt on throw to 0 so fireball explosion could deal more damage. This will remove issues i had with throwing up part of the animation.

For now, replacement ideas for Side B are:
  • Side B shown in mod showcase video (animations for it were saved, so, it is the easiest one to make and is useful for edgeguarding);
  • Aerial Side B listed on OP, both on the ground and in the air;
I can't think of anything else that won't be redundant, hard to balance or something normal Ridley never used. I used pretty much everything possible other than what is listed above. At least for now.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it would change much if those who follow this project will know its release date, which i still keep vague instead of being more precise like game developers, or various changes and additions done. If i won't post updates like one in this reply, then i won't get much feedback and they won't know just what all of this is going to be.

Back Throw and Grab attack:

Grab attack should deal 3%. I just forgot to change it. Back throw is currently the fastest, but weakest throw Ridley has. His grab also has longest start up and end lag outside of grabs like Samus'.

EDIT: updated OP with slightly improved attack descriptions (no more "same as in previous version"), remade recolors and credited all who helped with this project.

Looks good but I think Ridley should bite more viciously... like make his head move more between bites or make his mouth open more. Just a suggestion.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
This looks awesome. It really does.
But just one thing: I find all complaints of "Ridley would be too big for smash" to be annoying. But he *covers ears so he doesn't hear himself say it* looks a tiny, TINY bit too big.
*Unplugs ears*
But if this means Ridley in PM, I won't complain.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
VERY important news:
I decided to change character that is used as a base. Now im using Pit. Reasons for it are:
  1. Because of something in Lucario's coding that can't be fixed, he was randomly rotating without a special code that messed up Ridley's feet during animations and when in the air, all transitions caused him to very noticably randomly rotate for few frames and when he collided with any object, he would rotate to face either camera or background and his Final Smash would fail to hit properly if he would have anything behind him. This is the main reason;
  2. Pit has a very generous file size limits, so, i can be less restricted with animations, which means that possibility of this Ridley being usable in vBrawl is higher.
  3. Pit can properly use reflector code, so, Down B can be what i originally wanted it to be ("Varia Ridley" or pretty much Meta Ridley from SSB4, but more accurate to Other M, being able to reflect most of projectiles);
  4. Pit can angle his projectiles and he still can charge them, even though that doesn't really changes much;
  5. Pit can glide and has true multi-jump.
Main disadvantages of Pit are that he doesn't has Final Smash i need or anything even close to that, lacks command grab (not that it properly worked on Lucario either) and if grabbed, Ridley's tail and wings won't move and will most likely go into T-pose state.
It will take a while to port everything done from Lucario to Pit....
First of all, THANK YOU for making this wonderful mod-in-progress! I've been watching this thread since Ridley was deconfirmed, and I am amazed and thankful for all the work you are putting into this.

Second, for an alternative Final Smash that would be functionally similar to Pit's FS, you could have Ridley summon a bunch of Space Pirates to attack players. It could work like described below.

"Final Smash – Meta-Ridley Transfo—**** THAT. SPACE PIRATE RAID: The camera zooms in on Ridley as he roars to summon two Space Pirate ships. The Space Pirates hop out to attack Ridley’s opponents. Think of them as enemies from Melee’s adventure mode. They have limited methods of attack, and can be attacked and killed themselves. The problem for your opponents is that there would be so many of them to deal with. The amount would depend on the amount of players, and Ridley’s damage. There would also be different kinds of Space Pirates that hop out. Grey pirates are the simplest to kill, with only a small amount of health. Green pirates have more health, Red have even more, and Gold pirates have the most. They all attack by shooting beams (which can be fired horizontally or diagonally upward) and jumping. Gold pirates can do a jump kick which has a lot of knockback. They disappear after a set amount of time." - Oasis_S

You could cut out the ships from this idea and just have Space Pirates drop onto the stage from random spawn points, but this is a lot more animation and modeling work than could possibly be done by you or the PM team. I don't expect you to try this, but it's an idea.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
will using a new base hinder progress or is it still at where you were with the luc. base?
Not by much. It will take 2-3 hours to do. I just need to copy and paste code from Lucario's to Pit's coding.
Looks good but I think Ridley should bite more viciously... like make his head move more between bites or make his mouth open more. Just a suggestion.
I could make it slower (as in more frames in animation), but with Ridley moving his head as if he rips out something.
This looks awesome. It really does.
But just one thing: I find all complaints of "Ridley would be too big for smash" to be annoying. But he *covers ears so he doesn't hear himself say it* looks a tiny, TINY bit too big.
*Unplugs ears*
But if this means Ridley in PM, I won't complain.
I fixed that after video. Now he is 7% smaller and doesn't clips through platforms on stages like Battlefield. But he still needs to be large enough to at least be same size as in original Metroid (~1.2x bigger than Samus).
First of all, THANK YOU for making this wonderful mod-in-progress! I've been watching this thread since Ridley was deconfirmed, and I am amazed and thankful for all the work you are putting into this.

Second, for an alternative Final Smash that would be functionally similar to Pit's FS, you could have Ridley summon a bunch of Space Pirates to attack players. It could work like described below.

"Final Smash – Meta-Ridley Transfo—**** THAT. SPACE PIRATE RAID: The camera zooms in on Ridley as he roars to summon two Space Pirate ships. The Space Pirates hop out to attack Ridley’s opponents. Think of them as enemies from Melee’s adventure mode. They have limited methods of attack, and can be attacked and killed themselves. The problem for your opponents is that there would be so many of them to deal with. The amount would depend on the amount of players, and Ridley’s damage. There would also be different kinds of Space Pirates that hop out. Grey pirates are the simplest to kill, with only a small amount of health. Green pirates have more health, Red have even more, and Gold pirates have the most. They all attack by shooting beams (which can be fired horizontally or diagonally upward) and jumping. Gold pirates can do a jump kick which has a lot of knockback. They disappear after a set amount of time." - Oasis_S

You could cut out the ships from this idea and just have Space Pirates drop onto the stage from random spawn points, but this is a lot more animation and modeling work than could possibly be done by you or the PM team. I don't expect you to try this, but it's an idea.
Unfortunately, Space Pirates wouldn't be able to do anything more than just tackle opponents while flying and then die. I could replace Pit's centurions with Pirate Aerotroopers, but that Final Smash is pretty useless, so, i have to find something better.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
For now, replacement ideas for Side B are:
  • Side B shown in mod showcase video (animations for it were saved, so, it is the easiest one to make and is useful for edgeguarding);
  • Aerial Side B listed on OP, both on the ground and in the air;
I can't think of anything else that won't be redundant, hard to balance or something normal Ridley never used. I used pretty much everything possible other than what is listed above. At least for now.
What if you made his Side B into a move in which Ridley grabs the opponent with his feet and then, similar to Bowser's Side B from Melee and Project M, the player would choose how the attack ends? Bowser from Melee had the additional ability to bite a few times by pressing the B button before ending his attack in two different ways.

To begin, the Side B's start-up animation. On the ground, it could consist of Ridley lunging forward with his feet (slightly above the floor, due to his wings keeping him afloat, also dodging low-hit attacks from enemies), but in mid-air, it could be a sweep motion, exactly as what was seen in your showcase video at 5:50, but during the first few frames, it will grab on contact. Later frames could have Ridley scrapping the floor, damaging anyone nearby. As soon as the move connects, Ridley will be above the opponent at a 45 degree angle, holding the opponent with his feet waiting for the player's next input, but only for a few frames before the game does the default input on its own.

Now, what's the actual attack? Remember how Ridley from Super Metroid could grab Samus and, on rare occasions, he would immediately use one of 3 tail attacks before she'd be thrown away? These Super Metroid attacks, as well as other ideas, are shown and described below, along with suggestions on how they could work in Smash Bros gameplay:

This is the simplest attack Ridley uses. After grabbing with his feet, he simply lifts his tail before bringing it down on Samus to smack her on the back (or front, depending on what direction she was facing when grabbed) and send her flying. There was a variation of this attack in which Ridley would quickly smack Samus with his tail three times before loosening his grip, allowing the final hit to launch her. Contrary to the first variation, which used the tip of the tail to send her off, the triple hit variant consisted of Ridley using the underside of his tail (not the tip). In Smash Bros gameplay, after connecting the Side B (grabbing with feet), the player could simply tap B to make the tail hit the opponent (up to 3 times) before finally sending her flying towards the front. If however, the optional B attack cannot be programmed, then the entire Side B's animation could simply consist of grabbing with his feet and it automatically does either the single or triple hit. Regardless of the outcome, after the enemy is sent flying, he/she/it would be open for some follow-up attacks and, best of all, the end of this attack would leave Ridley in the air, where his superior mobility could allow him to catch up to his launched opponent for extra damage. Onto the next suggestion.

This attack in Super Metroid is Ridley spinning his tail at a ludicrous speed, making one or several full circle swings (clockwise or counter-clockwise), forming an anti-projectile ''shield'' around his body and hitting Samus if close. In Smash Bros, this could be a devastating kill move if Ridley were to successfully connect his side B move in the air above a pit, serving the same purpose as a Meteor Smash. When used above a floor, the opponent could bounce off the ground, allowing Ridley to follow up with the pogo-stick attack or etc. If the opponent has high damage percentage, the bounce effect would send him/her/it flying all the way to where Ridley was left at the end of the attack animation, giving him many more options to follow on. If the optional tap-the-B-button can be implemented, Ridley would make his tail spin in a circle every time the button is pressed, thus hitting or slashing at the opponent while gripped in his feet, before the 3rd spin sends the enemy down. As a bonus, while the tail is spinning, it could destroy projectiles launched at Ridley or at his captured enemy (essentially, prevent someone from stealing his kill), though whether the spin gives him 360 degree protection or only protects his back is up to you. If the Meteor Smash idea is not desired, the final tail spin could send the opponent flying towards the front or back, depending on which direction the tail was spinning in or what direction the joystick is held in, like Bowser's Side B ''finishers'' in Melee/Project M. Once again, if the optional B attack cannot be done, the Side B attack should consist of grab, automatic 2-3 circle tail spins and launch.

I am aware that you are making Ridley's up throw into a Maximum Spider/Wesker attack, with the end consisting of Ridley grabbing with his feet and crushing the target against the floor, as seen below

If, for whatever reason, you were to change the end of your Maximum Ridley attack into something else, this grab-and-stomp could instead consist as an end to Ridley's Side B. Whether its used on the ground or in the air, it would always be Ridley going up then down. If used above a pit however, Ridley would go straight down with his opponent, killing both players. Since the opponent is under him, the first one to die would be the former, guaranteeing Ridley's victory if both are on their last stock. I personally think this is a deliciously cruel attack that suits Ridley as much as Ganondorf! :)

To sum it all up BaganSmashBros, if programming a Side B with multiple options is a no-go, any one of the attacks I've suggested above could serve as the definitive Side B attack by itself.
Or,
If it's actually possible, they can all act as ''finishers'' that players will be able to choose from after they connect with the Side B. Like Bowser, the finisher would depend on what direction the joystick (or button?) is being pressed.

Finally, if all the above suggestions are too complex to program or are simply not your cup of tea, then I present my final idea. The tail from Brawl.

Like in the boss fight, the tail would get the opponent ''stuck'' on it for the entire duration of the attack, building up their damage percentage and dragged across the floor. However, if used on the edge of a stage, Ridley could fall off, stuck in his animation until the attack ends (the move itself should last a second or less), without losing the ability to make a recovery of course. Any enemy grabbing onto the edge when the tail goes by will unavoidably get hit, though whether the opponent is sent down or sideways, I don't know. Perhaps Ridley could drag the enemy down with him till the attack ends?

I'd like to apologize for my long post BaganSmashBros. I'm simply ecstatic of how this Ridley mod is turning out to be, and unlike Nintendo and Sakurai, my opinions and suggestions, as well as all the fans', can reach you. Good luck and I wish you an early merry Christmas!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What if you made his Side B into a move in which Ridley grabs the opponent with his feet and then, similar to Bowser's Side B from Melee and Project M, the player would choose how the attack ends? Bowser from Melee had the additional ability to bite a few times by pressing the B button before ending his attack in two different ways.

To begin, the Side B's start-up animation. On the ground, it could consist of Ridley lunging forward with his feet (slightly above the floor, due to his wings keeping him afloat, also dodging low-hit attacks from enemies), but in mid-air, it could be a sweep motion, exactly as what was seen in your showcase video at 5:50, but during the first few frames, it will grab on contact. Later frames could have Ridley scrapping the floor, damaging anyone nearby. As soon as the move connects, Ridley will be above the opponent at a 45 degree angle, holding the opponent with his feet waiting for the player's next input, but only for a few frames before the game does the default input on its own.

Now, what's the actual attack? Remember how Ridley from Super Metroid could grab Samus and, on rare occasions, he would immediately use one of 3 tail attacks before she'd be thrown away? These Super Metroid attacks, as well as other ideas, are shown and described below, along with suggestions on how they could work in Smash Bros gameplay:

This is the simplest attack Ridley uses. After grabbing with his feet, he simply lifts his tail before bringing it down on Samus to smack her on the back (or front, depending on what direction she was facing when grabbed) and send her flying. There was a variation of this attack in which Ridley would quickly smack Samus with his tail three times before loosening his grip, allowing the final hit to launch her. Contrary to the first variation, which used the tip of the tail to send her off, the triple hit variant consisted of Ridley using the underside of his tail (not the tip). In Smash Bros gameplay, after connecting the Side B (grabbing with feet), the player could simply tap B to make the tail hit the opponent (up to 3 times) before finally sending her flying towards the front. If however, the optional B attack cannot be programmed, then the entire Side B's animation could simply consist of grabbing with his feet and it automatically does either the single or triple hit. Regardless of the outcome, after the enemy is sent flying, he/she/it would be open for some follow-up attacks and, best of all, the end of this attack would leave Ridley in the air, where his superior mobility could allow him to catch up to his launched opponent for extra damage. Onto the next suggestion.

This attack in Super Metroid is Ridley spinning his tail at a ludicrous speed, making one or several full circle swings (clockwise or counter-clockwise), forming an anti-projectile ''shield'' around his body and hitting Samus if close. In Smash Bros, this could be a devastating kill move if Ridley were to successfully connect his side B move in the air above a pit, serving the same purpose as a Meteor Smash. When used above a floor, the opponent could bounce off the ground, allowing Ridley to follow up with the pogo-stick attack or etc. If the opponent has high damage percentage, the bounce effect would send him/her/it flying all the way to where Ridley was left at the end of the attack animation, giving him many more options to follow on. If the optional tap-the-B-button can be implemented, Ridley would make his tail spin in a circle every time the button is pressed, thus hitting or slashing at the opponent while gripped in his feet, before the 3rd spin sends the enemy down. As a bonus, while the tail is spinning, it could destroy projectiles launched at Ridley or at his captured enemy (essentially, prevent someone from stealing his kill), though whether the spin gives him 360 degree protection or only protects his back is up to you. If the Meteor Smash idea is not desired, the final tail spin could send the opponent flying towards the front or back, depending on which direction the tail was spinning in or what direction the joystick is held in, like Bowser's Side B ''finishers'' in Melee/Project M. Once again, if the optional B attack cannot be done, the Side B attack should consist of grab, automatic 2-3 circle tail spins and launch.

I am aware that you are making Ridley's up throw into a Maximum Spider/Wesker attack, with the end consisting of Ridley grabbing with his feet and crushing the target against the floor, as seen below

If, for whatever reason, you were to change the end of your Maximum Ridley attack into something else, this grab-and-stomp could instead consist as an end to Ridley's Side B. Whether its used on the ground or in the air, it would always be Ridley going up then down. If used above a pit however, Ridley would go straight down with his opponent, killing both players. Since the opponent is under him, the first one to die would be the former, guaranteeing Ridley's victory if both are on their last stock. I personally think this is a deliciously cruel attack that suits Ridley as much as Ganondorf! :)

To sum it all up BaganSmashBros, if programming a Side B with multiple options is a no-go, any one of the attacks I've suggested above could serve as the definitive Side B attack by itself.
Or,
If it's actually possible, they can all act as ''finishers'' that players will be able to choose from after they connect with the Side B. Like Bowser, the finisher would depend on what direction the joystick (or button?) is being pressed.

Finally, if all the above suggestions are too complex to program or are simply not your cup of tea, then I present my final idea. The tail from Brawl.

Like in the boss fight, the tail would get the opponent ''stuck'' on it for the entire duration of the attack, building up their damage percentage and dragged across the floor. However, if used on the edge of a stage, Ridley could fall off, stuck in his animation until the attack ends (the move itself should last a second or less), without losing the ability to make a recovery of course. Any enemy grabbing onto the edge when the tail goes by will unavoidably get hit, though whether the opponent is sent down or sideways, I don't know. Perhaps Ridley could drag the enemy down with him till the attack ends?

I'd like to apologize for my long post BaganSmashBros. I'm simply ecstatic of how this Ridley mod is turning out to be, and unlike Nintendo and Sakurai, my opinions and suggestions, as well as all the fans', can reach you. Good luck and I wish you an early merry Christmas!
With both Lucario and Pit's coding, such complex command grab won't be possible unless character is over PM Bowser or Diddy Kong. And since new base is Pit, any command grabs are impossible. But idea with SSBB Ridley's tail attack...i don't know. Ridley already has attack with similar purpose (Up B) and it is more safe. It won't be hard to animate, but it feels redundant.

Im half way done porting coding from Lucario to Pit, so, i will start working on new stuff soon. I also need to make new soundbank replacement for Pit and that will take more time than porting code.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
With both Lucario and Pit's coding, such complex command grab won't be possible unless character is over PM Bowser or Diddy Kong. And since new base is Pit, any command grabs are impossible. But idea with SSBB Ridley's tail attack...i don't know. Ridley already has attack with similar purpose (Up B) and it is more safe. It won't be hard to animate, but it feels redundant.

Im half way done porting coding from Lucario to Pit, so, i will start working on new stuff soon. I also need to make new soundbank replacement for Pit and that will take more time than porting code.
Is there a way to utilize throw collisions to make an opponent go into a Thrown Action during a regular attack? I've never investigated this but I was going to soon... maybe there's something you can do with them.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is there a way to utilize throw collisions to make an opponent go into a Thrown Action during a regular attack? I've never investigated this but I was going to soon... maybe there's something you can do with them.
Only characters that originally had command grabs can use them and only with actions that were originally used by those actions, so, you can't give anything like PM Bowser's Koopa Klaw to any character other than, well, Bowser, or give a command throw to characters like Luigi, Samus, Snake, etc.

Top Bottom