• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Recovery tier list V1.1

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
charizard's recovery is excellent because after glide he still has another jump, and can recover with rocksmash or come under with fly

he has more options than expected

his glide attack is not that good though (since not disjointed compared to pit or mk)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
charizard's recovery is excellent because after glide he still has another jump, and can recover with rocksmash or come under with fly

he has more options than expected

his glide attack is not that good though (since not disjointed compared to pit or mk)
Well I suppose. Any other Zard takers?

Niko_K

Smash Master
This is really off. You should also realize character weights and aerial start up time plays a huge role.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
This is really off. You should also realize character weights and aerial start up time plays a huge role.
I have.

Just file the complaint form and tell me whats wrong.

Character(s):
I think...:
This is why...:

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
how can flaco be lower then fox? falco has a way higher jump them fox making up for like the very little diffrence in the up b move, and dosnt fall as fast giveing time to exicute moves better

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Edit: Pits recovery isn't third best in the game, and how is sonic so high :S
I know right? Pit should go down, and Sonic should be even higher =P

Sonic's recovery isn't just his UpB.

The thing is, Sonic can recover from virtually anywhere, has a very irregular recovery pattern, invincibility frames, a Uair thats nigh impossible to outprioritize with a huge hitbox above and to the sides of it, and can attack out of his recovery. He can recover from the the side, above, or below extremely safely. The two arguable weaknesses are that he doesn't sweetspot the ledge, which isnt even really a weakness with his huge vertical gain, and the fact that Uair gives him a tiny verticaly boost as well. The thind about Sonics recovery is that you actually need know how to use it well to not get pwned.

Unlike many chars, Sonic doesn't have to recover in the same pattern all the time(usually diagonaly towards stage). He can choose to spinshot back to stage for a quick horizontal recover, he can use SideB which covers a huge horizontal distance, and doesnt even waste his second jump, allowing him to go under most every competitive stage. He can wall jump too. I personaly choose to usually recover from below, as I believe its safest. Now you may say that Sonic can be grab gimped, but that won't happen if you're smart enough to use Uair as you recover. Its hitbox is too disjointed to allow you to be grabbed. If you get grab gimped, its your fault. If he's wasted his second jump and is at risk of being edgehogged, Sonic can footstool jump. If he just cant reach the edge after using his second jump, a rare thing indeed, he can use homing attack to recover.

Not to mention he has virtually perfect momentum cancelling for surviving KOs by using a SideB/DownB after an fair.

/end Recovery rant =P

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Because Bowser is E, while Fox + Lucario are B -_____-
You know what? I've seen alot of arguments on to why Fox should move down. I'll move him down then. But Lucario stays, 20 pages dedicated to him.

Why should Bowser rise out of E?!?

ShenCS

Smash Cadet
Bowser has good horizontal range, IIRC a good auto-grab range, UpB comes out very quickly and gives a momentum boost that usually stops gimping attempts, IIRC SideB can also be used to recover (grab, flip onto stage, if not suicide).

tocador

Smash Lord
Bowser has good horizontal range, IIRC a good auto-grab range, UpB comes out very quickly and gives a momentum boost that usually stops gimping attempts, IIRC SideB can also be used to recover (grab, flip onto stage, if not suicide).
Even this still isnt good enough., you know, because in theory everything is beautyfull and all jumps have m2 melee jump range, but the truth is if you can get bowser offstage withought a second jump, he's dead meat, and even this, gimpping him b4 up B aind too hard, because no one would do a up be far from the ledge just to pottentially "dodge" the gimp and die afterwards. I mean, bowser shouldnt come out of E rank, on max D lol =D

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Jumps aren't too hot. Up B isn't stellar, and know other way's to recovery other than that.
(that I know of)
Yeah and he has decent aerial mobility, a completely ungimpable recovery move, including invincibility frames, that covers almost every distance horicontaly and is verticaly good enough - it's not like you need to recover upwards a lot with Bowser in the first place

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah and he has decent aerial mobility, a completely ungimpable recovery move, including invincibility frames, that covers almost every distance horicontaly and is verticaly good enough - it's not like you need to recover upwards a lot with Bowser in the first place
Nah Bowsers recovery sucks. DK can avoid stuff, because DKs airspeed during his upB is really good and it lasts long enough to avoid attacks.

Bowser can not recover from below which makes it really predicable. It's also easy to edgehog him and I think you can spike or attack him out of his upB.

His recovery belongs in E rank. Not many characters if any have a worse recovery than he does. I know it isn't that bad, but nearly everyone has a better one. Ganons and Falcons are probably worse.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Lucario... B... Get this CRAP outta here, its horrible!! PS. IMO Ganondorfs is better than Falcon's... Seriously. I have just wasted 5mins of my day looking at another pointless, biased 'Tier' Thread.
The original thread had over 1,000 posts.

One thousand posts.

Not very biased.

And I hope you're being sarcastic about your other statement.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Luigi_Player, you write some strange stuff sometimes that doesn't make sense to me...Bowsers recovery is better than DKs and the reasons are pretty obvious:

- DKs recovery has a blind spot, Bowsers doesn't
- Bowsers recovers higher but has about the same range on the sides
- Fortress has invincibility frames
- It also has overriding priority that beats every move minus a few exceptions

TheFast

Smash Lord
After the brief hiatus of my first recovery tier list, allow me to present V1.1.

Link to original thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196137

Rank S
Metaknight
Jigglypuff (Lower Her Horizontal is amazing but her vertical is not super awesome)
Pit
Rob

Rank A
Kirby (Lower it is an amazing recovery but his jumps are in a predictiable pattern. Not lower by much I still say rank A but not top of Rank A)
Sonic (Lower his Horizontal is good but not super great)
Wario (should be the Top of A or at least 2nd in A)
Game and Watch
Lucas (Lower while it is a good recovery you can hit him during the start up of his up-b. Not much lower but lower.)
Pikachu

Rank B
King DDD
Toon Link
Luigi
Samus
ZSS (Lower)
Princess Peach (I think peach belongs at the bottom of the B ranks)
Lucario (higher the new wall cling on the edge AT reduces his gimpability and his up-b actually has good distance and speed.)
Yoshi (higher if Yoshi uses eggs to recover and saves his 2nd jump he has amazing recovery )

Rank C
Fox
Diddy Kong (Higher)
Snake
Charizard (Lower Charizard is FAT >.<)
Sheik
Ice Climbers
Zelda

Rank D
Squirtle
Marth
Mario
Ness (lower)
Captain Falcon
DK
Wolf
Falco
Ike

Rank E
Bowser
Link
Ganondorf
Ivysaur(switch Olimar and Ivysaur because Olimar pushes him up when he does it and has better jumps)
Olimar
Solo Climber
Solo Olimar
This is what I think

Irsic

Smash Ace
A good Lucas will be well out of range.

Also, a good Lucas will only use PKT as a last stand.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Well, no. It can own one of her numerous jumps but not the whole recovery.
She really belongs to the top 3 (I'd say third behind mk and rob), with pit in 4th position.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Jiggly can be spiked rob can't nuff said and your probably right Irsic but I still feel is should be little bit lower than it is.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Jiggly doesn't have good vertical recovery though if she gets knocked downward after any of her jumps it can lead to her not reaching the stage.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Luigi_Player, you write some strange stuff sometimes that doesn't make sense to me...Bowsers recovery is better than DKs and the reasons are pretty obvious:

I did not know that Bowser's had invincibility.
DK has invincibility in the beginning as well.
While DK goes a little bit lower, he goes much farther for his height, and he can stay out there for a second for stalling purposes, while Bowser drops too fast for that.
I don't know how to respond to the last part without getting pretty subjective but it's harder to find a disjointed move that goes through DK's hands covering himself than to find one that goes through Bowser's fortress.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Diddy Kong needs to be MUCH higher. Pit's Up B is easily gimped, sure he can glide, but you still need the up b at one point or another and it's easy to hit. Lucario's is also easily gimped, by hugging or grabbing out of the up b. Peach has a terrible Vertical recovery.

Diddy kong can reverse peanut popgun if he's REALLY far out, side b for horizontal distance and you might be able to gimp someone with the GR of the diddy hump to footstool or spike them (if they try to edgeguard you), and then you still have the up B which you can aim (and it might stage spike someone hugging the stage).

Kirby also needs to be lower. The final cutter is easily gimped and her jumps aren't that high.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong needs to be MUCH higher. Pit's Up B is easily gimped, sure he can glide, but you still need the up b at one point or another and it's easy to hit. Lucario's is also easily gimped, by hugging or grabbing out of the up b. Peach has a terrible Vertical recovery.

Diddy kong can reverse peanut popgun if he's REALLY far out, side b for horizontal distance and you might be able to gimp someone with the GR of the diddy hump to footstool or spike them (if they try to edgeguard you), and then you still have the up B which you can aim (and it might stage spike someone hugging the stage).

Kirby also needs to be lower. The final cutter is easily gimped and her jumps aren't that high.
Kirby's definitely a "he".

Luigi player

Smash Master

Well DKs seems better to me though.

Bowser might have invincibility frames (so has DK), but that won't really help him. Someone has just to attack him after them which isn't any difficult at all, because his recovery is too predicable. You KNOW when Bowser will use his upB most of the time and you KNOW how he will recover so you CAN punish it.

Bowser recovers higher? Well, I'm not so sure which one goes higher, but Bowser moves up fast, and then down fast. He just drops like a rock which means you can't avoid anything and have to go straight for the edge.

Yeah it's prioity is awesome and I love doing his upB OoS, but as a recovery it's not so good, because most moves are more disjointed which means you can also spike him from above I think. The move is also finished fast so if Bowser recovers on stage it means that you can most likely punish him, if he recovers from below to get on the ledge, you can probably edgehog him.

At higher % Bowser also needs to use his upB early because his doublejump will probably not go far enough which means you can either edgehog him or hit him out of his upB in his "helpless" fall frames.

Also if you miss DK from above (which can happen often, because everyone tries to gimp DK lol) you could get 20+ damage which is really nice for the DK =P

tocador

Smash Lord
I agree with the diddy argument, hes deffinetly at least top of B rank, hes much more unpredictable, has wall jump, side b, and as a last resort he has a Up B that can spike. He sure is much better than chars like TL wich only has a small tetter and a resonable upB, and if you consider the air mobility/floatiness, diddy has a bunch of them.

Usually diddy only uses Reverse peanut popgun and diddy hump to recover, sometimes a wall jump or two, and if someone trys to edge hog you they are surelly to fail. If im not wrong diddys UpB has one of the largest distances to cover is fully charges, what isnt that hard, seen taht he charges it all in 1.5~2 secs max.

Mainly, diddy is great, but i think not A rank great, but certanly B rank top 3 great.

Top Bottom