• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah__Tourney of Fate 11 Canceled (check op for link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DZLE

Smash Master
I am pretty positive its all forms of suicide, waff.

And yeah you have taken me there before dryu. gay.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Port town aero drive isn't banned.

I cp it all da time.
Well apparently FTS says otherwise.
(Taken from the UST page)
Banned Stages:

* 75m (DK Arcade)
* Big Blue (Melee)
* Bridge of Eldin
* Flat Zone 2
* Green Greens
* Hanenbow
* Hyrule Temple (Melee)
* Mario Bros. (Arcade)
* Mushroomy Kingdom I
* Mushroomy Kingdom II
* New Pork City
* Port Town Aero Drive
* Rumble Falls
* Shadow Moses
* Spear Pillar
* Summit
* Wario Ware
Eh, I still think we should go through some of the banned/counterpick stages and revise em. *Shrug*

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I am pretty positive its all forms of suicide, waff.

And yeah you have taken me there before dryu. gay.
No, there's a specific reason Suicide Claw is included and the others aren't.

For Bowser, who dies first is totally dependent on controller ports.
Ex: Bowser player has 1st port, opponent has second, Bowser does the claw and wins.
Bowser player has 2nd port, opponent has first, Bowser does the suicide claw and loses.

To prevent this confusion, especially during things such as Bowser doubles, the SBR decided that the bowser doing the suicide claw would win, despite the fact that on the results screen it would show that his opponent won. Bowser did the suicide claw to end the game, therefore Bowser won.

Kirby: Kirby dies first, no matter what.
Ganon: Ganon dies first, no matter what (I'm still trying to figure this one out though).
Wario: Wario dies first.
D3: D3 dies first.

Anybody else, correct me where I'm wrong here.

DZLE

Smash Master
No, there's a specific reason Suicide Claw is included and the others aren't.

For Bowser, who dies first is totally dependent on controller ports.
Ex: Bowser player has 1st port, opponent has second, Bowser does the claw and wins.
Bowser player has 2nd port, opponent has first, Bowser does the suicide claw and loses.

To prevent this confusion, especially during things such as Bowser doubles, the SBR decided that the bowser doing the suicide claw would win, despite the fact that on the results screen it would show that his opponent won. Bowser did the suicide claw to end the game, therefore Bowser won.

Kirby: Kirby dies first, no matter what.
Ganon: Ganon dies first, no matter what (I'm still trying to figure this one out though).
Wario: Wario dies first.
D3: D3 dies first.

Anybody else, correct me where I'm wrong here.
This is all correct, but from what I know and have read / heard, all suicides are still counted as a win on your part. It takes "skill" to land a suicide, especially swallowcides (wario, ddd, kirbs)
If you initiate a suicide with all those other characters and lose?
Gay.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
This is all correct, but from what I know and have read / heard, all suicides are still counted as a win on your part. It takes "skill" to land a suicide, especially swallowcides (wario, ddd, kirbs)
If you initiate a suicide with all those other characters and lose?
Gay.
I'm just stating how it is in the rules, not how anybody particularly wants it to be.
Frankly, since I've just picked up Kirby (who I'm terrified to say is more fun to play than Link) a suicide win would be terrific fun. But that's how the rules go right now.

Also I've just discovered why L cancelling in Melee makes Link's uair and dair a beast, and makes Link's aerial approaches suddenly ten times more viable. (Link is way more fun to play in Melee than Kirby though >:D )

Geekhead

Smash Apprentice
3) Im hoping that that kirby up throw suicide that went to sudden death did not happen in a tourny...You should never go to Sudden death in a tourny unless you are both on the same stock and same %.

Also that B throw thing I said was a joke, that will not kill you at 0% for every char. except 1 maybe 2, as long as you can tech.
it did :chuckle:. i was at a higher percent then him i think...

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
And this suicide issue was previously addressed in the Metal Awesome thread. I believe what was said, was the the win only goes to Bowser when Bowser suicides, due to port-slots causing different outcomes. (With that said, it would imply that the other suicide moves aren't affected by port-slots. But, if they are, then I think it should be ruled the same as the Bowser Slam.)

Also I've just discovered why L cancelling in Melee makes Link's uair and dair a beast, and makes Link's aerial approaches suddenly ten times more viable.
Did you just barely discover that L-canceling helps Link out a lot? But if you're approaching people with Link's up and down aerials, then you're going to be punished by someone that knows what they're doing.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Technically, I knew that it would help Link out a lot, but...
I've just never bothered to learn how to L cancel properly. And no, I'm not *quite* so stupid as to run around approaching with Link's up and down aerials. :p But having the knowledge of how to perform those aerials with l cancelling gives me more options in my gameplay I've never considered before.
Now to learn to properly do wavedashing...

And PC, you are saying precisely what I was saying. None of the other suicides are determined by port slot, which is why they aren't in the rules as a victory for the suicider; because they are always a defeat for the suicider, no matter what port slot.

It's like when you run off the stage to finish your opponent off on your last stock: you may do some awesome gimping maneuvers, and may send them an insurmountable distance from the stage, but if you die first, well, your opponent won fair and square.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Wavedashing with Link isn't that useful. I would say moon-walking with him is more useful than wavedashing with him. (But moon-walking is much harder to do, unfortunately.)

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
The whole suicide thing is a confusing ordeal. You'd think it'd be for all characters, but with the whole controller slot thing...personally, I'd just say whoever initiated the attack should be the winner, and, in the case of the swallow-cides, if the character is still IN the attack, since people can wiggle out of those.

Although, who am I to complain? I only main Bowser out of those mentioned, and he wins regardless.

Maybe further discussion in the SBR should be made to voice our opinions on this subject.

Dai-A

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing with Link isn't that useful. I would say moon-walking with him is more useful than wavedashing with him. (But moon-walking is much harder to do, unfortunately.)
actually wavedashing out of your shield with link is useful, well for me anyways.
and as a proud moonwalker, moonwalking for link isnt that great. its only good for flashyness and if you want to edgehog with your sliding off up b

wangston

Smash Lord
Maybe further discussion in the SBR should be made to voice our opinions on this subject.
The sbr have been working on the ssbb rule set v2 for some time now. They having been saying it's only a matter of time before they release the new set. I really wish they would hurry up and do it.

Also on the suicide thing to clear this up once an for all, this was taken from the SBR Recommend rule list.

I read through the rules and the only thing it mentions about suicides is that Bowser's suicide in a tie gives him the win. But I heard from some people that suidicing is against the rules. So is it legal to suicide via Kirby/D3?
Yes. Bowser is decided by Port Priority, which is stupid so we made a rule about it. Others just do what the game says.
So all those other people suiciding lose.

DZLE

Smash Master
If you lose on purpose, then you should lose. How is that gay?
How is bowsers suicide not "losing on purpose", then?
If anything, it should either be all suicides win, or all lose. no matter what.
Even though the whole controller port confusion comes into play, why make bowser the exception to the suicide?
Bowsers suicide is not different from the others besides the fact that it is 1: Incredibly EASY to pull off on any type of player and 2: Controller port dominant.
So i think that they should be treated the same.
Wouldnt that make sense?

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
"Easy to pull off" has never been a consideration for anything, with the rare exception of things that are "prohibitively difficult" (basically, not humanly possible). I'm not aware of anything fitting that description in brawl. Don't worry, you aren't the first to bring it up :p

Controller port shouldn't decide the match. It's not even a part of the game. Otherwise, it becomes possible to prove that things like unplugging your opponent's controller is just playing to win.

If the game says that your SD move = loss, then you would be stupid to do it, then call the game a liar. Bowser's KK is the exception because it is predictably decided by something not a part of the game, which is even more stupid than calling the game a liar.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
In bowser's, he's on top as they're falling so it makes sense that the other person should lose because they techincally hit the blast zone first- I don't see any reason the game would ever consider bowser as the loser.. In all the others, you are below the other person and therefore you die first.

I know that isn't the reason we have the rules we do, but that can be some consolation or whatever to people who have problems with bowser being the exception to the rule.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
wait so whats the issue with bowser then?
K, issue here: Bowser recieves a win for his suicide, while other characters do not.
Reason: Bowser either wins or makes the game sudden death, depending on which controller port the player is in. The SBR ensured there would be no arguing about ports by making a rule that rather than entering sudden death, Bowser automatically wins no matter whether he enters sudden death or not.

tl;dr
Because Bowser either wins or ties, and to prevent arguments over ports, Bowser always wins.

The issue with the other characters: Bowser is only given a win because he either wins flat-out, or ties. The other characters die first every time, all other factors in the game included, no exeptions to the rule. Because the factors behind them dying first every time have no exeptions, no chances where they win rather than lose, the SBR has chosen to leave those suicides as loses so as to not mess with the game.

Characters who die first every time, die first and lose. Characters that either win or set up a tie breaker, due to a stupid issue with controller ports, are winners.

wangston

Smash Lord
so if they set up a tie breaker, or loose due to their controller port, then you either just continue the sudden death, or deal with loosing?
The controller port only effects boswer, he will either win or tie depending on if you are in a higher or lower slot than the opponent. Ever other suicide, bite, swallow, gannoncide you lose regardless of the ports. So the sbr said to prevent confusion bowser always win.

A port will never make you lose. It only makes it tie or win if you use bowser's claw.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
RESULTS

1: Yaz (Meta Knight)
2: __X__ (Sonic)
3: Kenny (Snake)
4: Staz (Donkey Kong)
5: Lada (Rob and Falco)
5: Wangston (Falco)
7: Dark Ryu (Diddy and Game & Watch)
7: Lanky (Snake)

Any changes to the list?
I'll be submitting it tomorrow around noon.

EDIT: It's weird not seeing Dai-A on here.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just got home after seeing Watchmen, but I finally posted the results in Ankoku's Character Rankings thread.

On another side note, I won't be coming to PnT today.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
K I updated the OP with the date of the next tourney so you all know when it'll be. Also I have a few things I need to give to people: Wangstons wiimote, and kenny's glasses so remind me to bring those this Thursday or if I see you guys before then.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Kenny forgot his glasses? Hmm... wouldn't that make it hard to drive back down to provo? I mean, it was tough for me driving to my house from PnT when I was on my wisdom teeth pain meds... Well, spacey/loopy more like.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
Kenny forgot his glasses? Hmm... wouldn't that make it hard to drive back down to provo? I mean, it was tough for me driving to my house from PnT when I was on my wisdom teeth pain meds... Well, spacey/loopy more like.
waff, there is no difference between you on medication and not

DZLE

Smash Master
waff, there is no difference between you on medication and not
Haha I 'lol wut'-ed.
Speaking of medication, i can almost come off mine!

Oh btw I need a team mate for next ToF.
I would like to decide who soon so we can practice up as a team!
Whether it be the mexi's or someone close like lanky minato etc, just let me know.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Haha I 'lol wut'-ed.

Oh btw I need a team mate for next ToF.
I would like to decide who soon so we can practice up as a team!
Whether it be the mexi's or someone close like lanky minato etc, just let me know.
From the sounds of it Jesse is getting tired of teams more than he is singles... so if he ends up dropping teams looks like i may be in the market for a new team mate?

harpuia190

Smash Ace
ooohhhhhh noooooo theres is no way im letting waff get away from me, im just going through the character blues, and without someone im dedicated to for teams, it just becomes to chaotic right now, although i think i do know who i am gonna play for teams :D

if only marth couldnt CG ness *sigh*

Minato

穏やかじゃない
ooohhhhhh noooooo theres is no way im letting waff get away from me, im just going through the character blues, and without someone im dedicated to for teams, it just becomes to chaotic right now, although i think i do know who i am gonna play for teams :D
That's actually a good thing. You'll have a lot of options at your disposal on characters.
if only marth couldnt CG ness *sigh*
Yeah, I know.
At least in teams, Waff can help you out.
Which reminds me, I haven't played Brawl Marth in a long time. :laugh:

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
So...my bosses wanted to up the cost of the weeklys from 3$ to 5$ (remember they think its 3$ right now) or we might need to stop them (they didn't say anything about Tof though) so I will need to set the weeklies to 3$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom