• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
Hey connor can you please put up the two sets of the doubles finals? or if they are already up somewhere can you please post a link here? thanks :)

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Halberd's a fine stage and I like trying out the different stages, I would've trialled Pokémon Stadium ahead of it but that's just me. I'd like to wonder how well a 7-stage striking system would work, though.

Dean: we should team again, now we know what each other's playstyle is like. =) points ftw!
Is Ugly not attending the tournament on the 7th? If that's the case, I'd be happy to team with you again.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Hey connor can you please put up the two sets of the doubles finals? or if they are already up somewhere can you please post a link here? thanks :)
Unfortunately, I forgot to get the vids of Tanman. D: I'll get them at the next tourney and upload them then.

Suspect

Smash Hero
How often do you guys have tournies? Looking for what ever is closest to Yamba around april/may.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Yamba is in New South Wales. Its a fair hike from Yamba to Melbourne. Try out the NSW threads, they should be able to help you out. =)

And I do believe they host monthlies, each to their own district of NSW.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Are we debating starter stages now? To understand this we need to look at our definition of a starter stage. Is it a stage that provides an even as possible match for the two characters? Or is it a stage that eliminates all random occurrences? Or is it lastly, a stage that provides no one character with an advantage or disadvantage that changes MU's/Playstyles or makes said character unbeatable or at least much stronger (that is the purpose of CP stages)

I always thought that a starter is aimed to make an even match for both characters. Would that mean that our starter stages need to be as basic as possible, without any unusual structure or events? Ideally then, a stage should be flatish, with reasonable boundaries, normal ledges, a platform or two spaced out fairly, little to no random occurrences. Yes? Well we don't really have any stage like that, aside from maybe SV or BF or maybe FD. Then we need to look at the aim of providing an even match. Admittedly no stages in Brawl actually provide an even match so we look for the closest we can get.

Looking at all those thoughts I thought that it seems obvious that halberd does not meet these guidelines, and if it does other stages should be on the starter list. Such as Delfino, Pictochat and maybe even pokemon stadium.

Halberd provides some chars we large advantages, the ones that come to mind are Snake and MK them being the top two characters in the whole game. It allows snake to get crazy Utilt kills at low percentages, while giving him fairly good stage control over all. And with MK comes the obvious problem of Sharking to abuse the fact that almost no characters can hit him while properly spaced, through the floor. I don't know if this is also that much of a consideration, but many times the stage has gimped chars at low percentages with its weird ledges while not flying, being stuck under the ledge without multiple jumps is stupid. Especially if you just had to airdodge the claw on the edge and floated past the ledge, only to be gimped.

What characters benefit as much from Lylat? I can't think of any characters off the top of my head which are instantly advantaged by Lylat to the same extent, the ones that would be, would probably be advantaged by the planking opportunities offered by the stage, and we have rules set in place to stop that. The only real complaint I've ever heard about Lylat Cruise, is the "OMG it tilted which is soooo ghey and I got gimped", as I've already pointed out I've had very similar things happen on Halberd and they are annoying but can be avoided. Aside from that the stage does not have any crazy structural things that abuse MU's, no short killzones, no RANDOM OBSATCLES OF DOOOM, and best of all does not give extreme benefits to the top two chars.

Just my thoughts on teh issue, by all means trial Halberd but don't be suprised if people looking to place better than usual strike down to it and pick MK/Snake.

Zero

Smash Hero
The thread is called THIS IS IT for now, as that tournament is on this weekend.

To answer your question, we have at least one tournament each month, with up to three or four in total.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
why not just have

fd
battlefield
smashville

as neutrals, each person stage strikes one and first game commences
then loser picks from other neutrals and
smashville
yoshi's
lylat

kdone

Nixernator

Smash Ace
why not just have

fd
battlefield
smashville

as neutrals, each person stage strikes one and first game commences
then loser picks from other neutrals and
smashville
yoshi's
lylat

kdone
That makes brawl even more boring than it is Dekar Lol.

Also then Ledge, why don't we make every stage a starter, as you pick chars first Lol. Starters are meant to be neutral, especially if we do the everyone plays on the random starter for pools.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
diddy kong is easy to beat

nix brawl shouldn't need so much messing around to try and make it fun then eeeey

C~Dog

Smash Champion
So yeah, I'm going to NZ for a week. I'll try to get on sometime to answer questions, but I don't know how often I will be able to access the internet. So if you could just like annoy Vermy or some **** in the meantime that would be cool.

Bye.

Splice

Smash Hero
It wouldn't need any messing around with at all if it was a good game made for competitive play.

But it isn't. So it needs messing around withm if you want to play it competitively, hurrr.

Melancholy

Smash Ace
If it isn't meant to be competitive why is there a winner at the end?
Because that wouldn't be fun. Even casual players who play with items on icicle mountain want to have something to work towards, i.e. coming first, having bragging rights over their friends/opponents etc.

Melancholy

Smash Ace
I was just answering your question :p

You asked why does it have a winner if it's not meant to be competitive. What I'm saying is that even if you're just playing for fun/casually having a winner is good because it makes the game more fun.

Having a winner at the end of a match doesn't automatically make a game fit for competitive play.

If that makes sense. It does in my head, so whatever :p

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Stop assuming what Sakuri was thinking when designing the game.

For all we know it could have been created with the idea of introducing a new competitive error, with some random inbuilt as a way to make it more entertaining to watch at competitive levels. Even Melee had random attributes such as Nana dumb but spontaneous AI. Also how do we know that Sakuri didnt create the game based around competitive play with Items and sudden death. I mean sure theres a bit more random like tripping but the game all of a sudden becomes more deep and all the gay tactics like planking, and playing extremely defensive dissapears. because characters have a chance at approaching safely in the same way as diddy can approach safely. this is of course assuming the use of ISP (Item Standard Play) with proper item rules.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for an item tourney.

8D

It wouldn't need any messing around with at all if it was a good game made for competitive play.

But it isn't. So it needs messing around withm if you want to play it competitively, hurrr.
berpderp

No.

It is a good game, granted I've never played melee (I played the original though), but brawl is fun (subjective, I know). It's just kinda not as fun (granted, I still find it fun) when you play by the rules

Meh, don't know how that would work for "competitive" play.

Also, I'm all for items assuming they banned some of them, like Assist Trophies (vision impairing ones are annoying), pokeballs (lolkyogre), bobombs etc.

Heck, at least try it out a couple of time to see if it works? You never know .-.

---

Whatever, it's really not my place to say anything, since I'm still pretty new to competitive smash and don't know as much as most of you do, but I said it anyway because it's fun.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
oh another tourney so early?

I guess I'll come. Havent gone on smashboards for a while, probably wont be on much since im still mad at the person who pissed me off >_>

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675&highlight=item
The Item tourney rules, they've been testing and discussing items in tourney play for a while.

Im not necessarily suggesting we turn these tourneys into Item tourneys lol. but it would be cool if we tried it out a few times considering we are going to be having 3 tourneys a month, i think that we should experiment with the rules a bit every now and then.

I got thinking after reading this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262110 and a few others. It petty much talks about Brawl being different to Melee so why are we trying to force the Melee ruleset onto Brawl.

EDIT: Hello Leisha

Vermy

Smash Champion
Bonus Tourney is TBA, depends heavily on how many TVs we have on the day and how smoothly things run. If we get at least 8 TV+wii setups going on, a bonus tourney looks possible. Ideas in motion are:

- Low Tier
- 4v4 Crews (to prepare people for Don't Come 2)
- Schoolyard Crews (our traditional Melbourne divided by 2)
- Random Tourney (works like singles, but everyone selects random. Instead of stage strikes you each get 1 character strike per round, cps are permitted)
- Standard Item Play Tourney (seems to be getting some interest)

Also, I've been thinking of adding Street Fighter IV crews as a regular thing. It seems to have gotten a fair bit of interest, and I'd be happy to bring my setup every month. For those of you with an Xbox 360/PS3 it's selling for a relatively cheap price if you ever wanted to get into it. Or if you have a gaming pc you could "borrow" my copy. Arcade sticks will be available as per usual. I'd be happy to tutor anyone in Street Fighter IV if you wanna get all pro =)

Tanman is my greatest pupil thus far. <3

Vermy

Smash Champion
Pfft. Blanka/Chunli combo will **** yo.

Ryu is too easy to play as. Took me a week to become ****. Boring. Everything to ultra is boring.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Important Announcement

THERE IS A BURGER FUEL IN WELLINGTON.

I CAN TRULY SAY THAT THIS IS THE 3RD OR MAYBE EVEN 2ND DAY OF MY LIFE.

/caps

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Yay hi Garyness <3

Anyone tried Tatsunoko vs. Capcom yet? Its pretty epic ;3 I would try out burger fuel, but i dont like beef =( it makes me sickies, plus im fussy lolol

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Borrowed it off a friend and it's on the portable harddrive. Pretty entertaining. Still think I'll try to learn SF though ^^;

Top Bottom