• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Airborne

Smash Lord
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, Firefly, but the main reason why you were getting ***** was because you kept landing next to ROB. In a majority of our MU's, that's just asking to get f*cked up.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Yeah...but then I just get wrecked for it. =/

:005:
It's just one of those MU's that is frustrating because of the constant pressure in the areas we lack. =\
You just have to find the best way to reset positioning and stuff so that you don't continually jump into the ****.

K, there's nothing left that I really wanna address, lol. It's all pretty much player dependent at this point, just get more practice. :bee:
Practice is the best thing in the history of ever.

Firefly, you need to find a Wii/get one so you can get the free time to do so.

Sharky

Smash Master
wheeeee I finally have recorded matches! =D

Vs G&W a bad one at that...hard to get much off of this cause I was able to just autopilot it lol.

Vs DK Sharky vs Cura
Vs Marth Sharky vs Cura

I haven't watched these personally since I played them because my internet got cut off and I'm stealing someone's really slow internet right now, but any and all critiques are welcome =D

D

Deleted member

I watched the G&W (which i am not gonna comment on) and the DK one.

It seems like you play autopilot. Down tilt downtilt, double jab double jab grab, running grab whenever they land, spotdodging predictably. You clearly know how to space and know what to do, but from what it looks like you arent actively trying to read defensive measures or really get involved with figuring out what beats what. If you fixed your spotdodge and airdodge predictability and your excessive double jabbing, you would improve a lot. In friendlies i would literally go through in your mind peoples possible options in certain situations and figure out how to beat each of them.
Last negative thing is that your yoshi is pretty straight foward, not a lot of "gimmicky" stuff. Against good players its gonna be your abuse of things that are hard to adapt to that will win matches, and even polt, who plays kinda genericy (as in, he does a lot of solid basic stuf), incorperates lots of innovative mixups in his ga,e. Play around with that stuff.

Again kinda generalizing the bad things, you do lots of stuff right too. You are very good at knowing when you can go for the grab, and you camp pretty well. Your spacing is nice too (though, like everyone , could be improved).

Edit: i wont critique but your match vs marth was way better XD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Sharky, stop airdodging into Marth. It was painful to watch. Stop spotdodging all day near him too. Marth loves it when you spotdodge next to him. And you keep trying to challenge him head on in the air when he has momentum. You need to reset against Marth, we really don't have that reversal capability on him.

You did have a really good pressure chain on your second stock, which really helped bring you back into the game. Still, watch your recovery. You definitely shoulda been killed by Grab Release on your second stock.

I did like the match. You use dash attack/grab well to break his walls. I approve.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm the first one to admit I'm suffering from addiction to spot-dodging lol. I'm trying to fix that, cause I do realize that's my biggest issue. Also stocky brings up a good point with the auto-piloting thing, I have trouble focusing on that sort of stuff for long periods of time and because of that I do tend to fall into set patterns every now and then (that's what killed me against tearbear, now that I think of it lol).

@ the challenging marth in the air thing: I think personally I just plain have terrible di while being stringed like that, and it helps my opponent keep me locked in. =( Another thing to work on.

edit: forgot the gimmick comment. Against anyone else I try to use more of that stuff, I feel like cura forces me to keep it simple, I need to find new ways to mix them in, because every time I try them he sees them coming, even though I only use them rarely. =(

double edit: so basically get rid of stupid reflex panic buttons, and don't be so simple. I can do this! =D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Guys, what are some good mix ups to know and use, cuz every time I play someone and ask what they think I need to improve on, they say I need to use more mix ups.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Mix ups depend entirely on what you as a player normally do. I'll give you some really basic ones.

Say you normally dash grab everytime you run at an enemy's shield. Naturally, they'll start to spotdodge when you run at them. So, instead of dash grabbing, you charge an Usmash. Or if you really wanted the grab, you run past them and pivot grab. You just mixed up your typical approach and probably landed a hit.

If you always airdodge and land, you mix it up with a different option. Fall with Nair or Bair, or Egglay even. Otherwise they'll just keep punishing the airdodge.

When you jump at someone who's grounded, they'll usually shield, since an aerial is expected. Insteade of Bairing, use Egg Lay. Then they'll start spotdodging more, meaning you can actually use Bair.

In general, you set a pattern, the opponent starts using an option to counter it, then you mix it up and beat their counter.

D

Deleted member

lol yika i liked ur guys' walls with lucario fsmashing and you egging XD
good stuff

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Last match from a tourney set against SEID. He's an awesome Kirby player!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxC0ynVpZ0

he's so awesome, that he won the set after this one in the looser finals, so i got kicked by him :D

anyways, moar stuff from the tourney last weekend:

Winner Finals vs. Luigi_player:

[1/3] vs. Wario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4nrdCsSY4w
[2/3] vs. Diddy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Ld0_GSJ_c
[3/3] vs. Diddy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COfinIyYsUw

edit: yeaahh, yell at me: i dont infinite wario...

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I think those were failed wavebounces.

And yeah... Lucario = Worst. Match-up. Ever.

It was painful watching that Lucario match. It really was. :(

:069:

D

Deleted member

i even knew it was b-reversal i never say wavebounce XD i dont even know how to wavebounce :p

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Durr what's Wavebounce? /sarcasm
Sockz did pretty well against LM's MK but people have to of course type down on the video "Sandbag" Doesn't look like it, just stupid for not using Tornado after the use of Yoshi's DJ.
And sooo many chances to do so, even "I" saw it.

D

Deleted member

only vato break posted that and he was probably trolling XD
yea he abused nado more effectively 2nd match and graped me =[
so difficult

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Is there a vid where someone uses Egg Roll Momentum Cancel so I can see it in action? I really wanna see it applied in a useful way :laugh:

D

Deleted member

To be honest you need to get better at your ECEs XD You are good with the eggs but the ECEs suck, you could have gotten him so much more with proper angling and mixups.

I think its important to notice how you dont approach even when hes buttraping you with waddle dee's. Thats commitment, and its kinda unnerving for the opponent to have to keep up his powershields and to know that he is gonna have to get the kill the hard way, since you are committing to chip damage most of the game instead of a higher risk higher reward sort of thing that i normally do (which i shouldnt :/)

your style reminds me of like a yoshi form of coney's DDD XD

Edit: Im surprised you opted to try and CG him most of the time though. Considering you were giving him landing troubles i would think uthrow would at least give you more chances to condition his landings, or bthrow/fthrow for reliable chip damage.

nvm in game 2 u did more of that stuff i guess

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, my ECEs are not usually like that. Dunno what happened there. Nervousness? o_O

Yeah, approaching Dedede is always a bad idea (even the very small ones I attempted almost always led to a grab). That's why this is a match-up that I camp the whole time... which is why it's very boring. :(

Oh, and I failed at buffering the CG most of the time, and when I finally got the dash... I tripped. I'm just not going to bother anymore. It doesn't really lead to anything, anyways. >_>

:069:

Top Bottom