• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
I have a lot of trouble playing against this player, so i would like if you guys tell me what to do and don't.
here's the video of one set played in a Smashfest this weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGK_LmVxS8

I know there's a lot of problems in my gameplay like failing to do some simple stuff (chaingrabs, wavebounced neutral-B, edgehog...) and having a bad zoning game (too much f-smash on nothing).

Some things i wanted to know are what to do after i get hit by the first jab, after i throw him out of a grab near the ledge (and what folowups are better) and the best counterpick against him.

I already read the matchup discussion and i continue to play randomly like i've always been (so if you don't want to bother telling me now it's no different loljk).

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I have a lot of trouble playing against this player, so i would like if you guys tell me what to do and don't.
here's the video of one set played in a Smashfest this weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeGK_LmVxS8

I know there's a lot of problems in my gameplay like failing to do some simple stuff (chaingrabs, wavebounced neutral-B, edgehog...) and having a bad zoning game (too much f-smash on nothing).

Some things i wanted to know are what to do after i get hit by the first jab, after i throw him out of a grab near the ledge (and what folowups are better) and the best counterpick against him.

I already read the matchup discussion and i continue to play randomly like i've always been (so if you don't want to bother telling me now it's no different loljk).

I feel like its better to just release falcon if you're going for a gimp. If you Fthrow him hes probably getting back on. If you do decide to throw him just chuck some eggs and maybe try to pivot grab/Smash his landing (assuming he lands onstage which i dont see happening.). i dont recommend going after him unless he's under you which he probably wont be if you Fthrowed.

Counter Picking Falcon...uhhhh beats me, i just take him to neutrals.

After he hits you with a first jab you're probably going to get grabbed if you're in range (iirc its a true combo, might be wrong). He's probably going to go for a second jab ( i think im the only person who only does a single jab with falcon) and then you're gonna get grabbed, so Attempt to DI the second one and/or nair.

Stuff you should work on.

I love dair but duuude you daired to the ground like 500 times in that last game. Try DJC Egglaying, B reversing it (what i do), Bair maybe, nair some times and in general just mix up your landings. CF coulda punished you alot more than he did lol

You seem to have some trouble grabbing. It looked like you got alot of standing grabs instead of Pivots. Work on that, that kills you lol

You seem to like Egglay, but honestly do it just a little bit less. I feel like you had some other options but you went for the egglay instead. I mean you seem to have the technical skill with them down but your application needs some work.

Don't be afraid to not approach, helps to breathe a little and zone a bit with eggs every once in a while to throw them off a bit.

Work on your recovery and edge game. I dont think i saw a single ece and when you recovered you tried to attack like every time. You also never egg tossed to recover unless you lost the second jump (trust me it saves lives)

Tl;dr cuz i wrote an essay

• Mixup your landings
  • Work on grabbing (CG, Pivot grabbing, etc)
  • Mix some camping in with your aggro when you lose momentum
  • ECE more
  • Try not to attack on every recovery (Air Dodge sometimes)
  • Use Egg Toss To recover before you use your second jump sometimes

Curious question. Do you play with default controls?

Yikarur

Smash Master
haha lol
that Yoshi is somehow terrible, I've never seen a Yoshi sitting in his shield so long and from that faaaaar.

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
I feel like its better to just release falcon if you're going for a gimp. If you Fthrow him hes probably getting back on. If you do decide to throw him just chuck some eggs and maybe try to pivot grab/Smash his landing (assuming he lands onstage which i dont see happening.). i dont recommend going after him unless he's under you which he probably wont be if you Fthrowed.

Counter Picking Falcon...uhhhh beats me, i just take him to neutrals.

After he hits you with a first jab you're probably going to get grabbed if you're in range (iirc its a true combo, might be wrong). He's probably going to go for a second jab ( i think im the only person who only does a single jab with falcon) and then you're gonna get grabbed, so Attempt to DI the second one and/or nair.
Thanks for the help, i'll keep that in mind next time we play.
Going after him when he is under scares me a lot with his upB to stage spike (but I'm working on this issue).

Stuff you should work on.

I love dair but duuude you daired to the ground like 500 times in that last game. Try DJC Egglaying, B reversing it (what i do), Bair maybe, nair some times and in general just mix up your landings. CF coulda punished you alot more than he did lol

You seem to have some trouble grabbing. It looked like you got alot of standing grabs instead of Pivots. Work on that, that kills you lol

You seem to like Egglay, but honestly do it just a little bit less. I feel like you had some other options but you went for the egglay instead. I mean you seem to have the technical skill with them down but your application needs some work.
yeah, those are all stuff i try to do but gets a random results when i think i press the same button inputs, for example, every time I use eggroll it was suposed to be something else or when doing DJC egglay I'm not sure of the direction I will turn. This are all stuff I need to work on but I don't have the time/patience to work on it. This causes me to look more at my character than the adversary so I can know what I am doing lol.
Don't be afraid to not approach, helps to breathe a little and zone a bit with eggs every once in a while to throw them off a bit.

Work on your recovery and edge game. I dont think i saw a single ece and when you recovered you tried to attack like every time. You also never egg tossed to recover unless you lost the second jump (trust me it saves lives)

Tl;dr cuz i wrote an essay

• Mixup your landings
  • Work on grabbing (CG, Pivot grabbing, etc)
  • Mix some camping in with your aggro when you lose momentum
  • ECE more
  • Try not to attack on every recovery (Air Dodge sometimes)
  • Use Egg Toss To recover before you use your second jump sometimes
lol I'm always thinking I have to camp but end up going aggro anyway (with him always on top of me doesn't help).
I stoped using EggToss against Capt Falcon after i got kneed a lot on EggToss lag (maybe there were a lot of opening in that game but I just think about getting to the stage as fast as possible).

Curious question. Do you play with default controls?
GC controller : tap jump off
R-grab
B-jump (to do DR, but I never try to do it on a match cause I fail it a lot and is exausting for me)
X-special
Z-jump

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Getting wrecked in doubles like a boss.

+ Komodo Joe (Wario) vs. Viviff (MK) + D~Mac (Toon Link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nKAcXJJSE8&feature=player_embedded

Oh look, the so-called "third best Yoshi in NA" has an obnoxious spotdodging/airdodging habit. Go figrue.

vs. Bladewise (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGemEDcAT3U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCLqaWsKJyg

Fun set, but I wish I could've at least taken it to game 3. =/

lol

vs. Kev2k (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOKQ6Oq87io

:005:

D

Deleted member

You were way too sloppy vs marth. Your DI is also pretty bad. You need to play more carefully when ur at high percents, and DI kill moves better.
You should mix up the charge of your upsmashes, you went for the same uncharged usmash every time, which led him to simply jumping to avoid it. If you had simply charged it at the end you woulda won. Predictability=Nono. Look at he times you are doing well. The beginningish of his third stock for example. You are playing fast, unpredictably, and efficiantly, without too much risky stuff. You are forcing him into positions he doesnt want to be him, without letting him dictate the pace while you just foxtrot and ETS. You want to play like that a lot more. There are times for passive playing, but your reaction time isnt that good so i wouldnt do it as much as you did.

You brought it close because you are a good player who knows how to punish lots of options, so you were able to play stupidly some of the time and still bring it back with some nice reads. However, you would have won if you mixed up your usmash charges, and did not take so much unnecessary damage, especially against a character like marth that can actually kill yoshi off of easy reads. The DI needs work also haha, but thats just reaction time.
If you dont think you are a top 5 yoshi, that doesnt matter, because it is a tournament results ranking, not a skill ranking, because thats how people want to do it for some reason. You have good results, surprise or not. Just get better if you dont think you are good enough, so that you feel you deserve your spot.
You are a good player though, you are just sloppy a lot of the time. You have periods of great play.

Edit: I cried when the untippered fair killed you game 2. PLEASE IMPROVE DAT DI ITS SO IMPORTANT IT WINS SETS. Your egg usage was a little iffy, you are good with them but didnt adapt to him punishing your tosses as well as you couldve.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Thanks for the help, i'll keep that in mind next time we play.
Going after him when he is under scares me a lot with his upB to stage spike (but I'm working on this issue).

yeah, those are all stuff i try to do but gets a random results when i think i press the same button inputs, for example, every time I use eggroll it was suposed to be something else or when doing DJC egglay I'm not sure of the direction I will turn. This are all stuff I need to work on but I don't have the time/patience to work on it. This causes me to look more at my character than the adversary so I can know what I am doing lol.

lol I'm always thinking I have to camp but end up going aggro anyway (with him always on top of me doesn't help).
I stoped using EggToss against Capt Falcon after i got kneed a lot on EggToss lag (maybe there were a lot of opening in that game but I just think about getting to the stage as fast as possible).

GC controller : tap jump off
R-grab
B-jump (to do DR, but I never try to do it on a match cause I fail it a lot and is exausting for me)
X-special
Z-jump
Why do you have Z as jump may i ask?

Yikarur

Smash Master
Z = Jump is actually everything you need to DR.
Z -> Y -> A
and Z + C-Stick is just very versatile.

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
well i only use Z to ETS... I hate that button for anything else lol.

@ Yikarur, I tried to DR with it for a while but I found it hard (I can say the same thing of the ones I use now... meh whatever, forever a noob :( )

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
or you could change up-c to jump, side-c to jump, and down-c to attack and just spin the c-stick :awesome:

but really, just do what celes said, that's what i do

bigman40

Smash Master
Seriously, this is like the only tech that you should practice a little each day. It doesn't take long to get down (and I mean around a few days), and it'll get you up to speed much quicker. Use my controller method lol.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Work on your mixups to get back onstage, After watching game 1 for like 30 seconds i could tell what you were gonna do each time. Stop being greedy, You were like attacking the air mindlessly almost like you hoped he would run into them. Be a lil more patient. If you like being agressive its w/e but dont be stupid while you're being agressive.

Edit: You never followed her off stage lol Afraid to go for the gimp? Not really sure about going for the gimp against sheik but not going offstage at all made him pretty much safe at all times while recovering.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
You were way too sloppy vs marth. Your DI is also pretty bad. You need to play more carefully when ur at high percents, and DI kill moves better.
You should mix up the charge of your upsmashes, you went for the same uncharged usmash every time, which led him to simply jumping to avoid it. If you had simply charged it at the end you woulda won. Predictability=Nono. Look at he times you are doing well. The beginningish of his third stock for example. You are playing fast, unpredictably, and efficiantly, without too much risky stuff. You are forcing him into positions he doesnt want to be him, without letting him dictate the pace while you just foxtrot and ETS. You want to play like that a lot more. There are times for passive playing, but your reaction time isnt that good so i wouldnt do it as much as you did.

You brought it close because you are a good player who knows how to punish lots of options, so you were able to play stupidly some of the time and still bring it back with some nice reads. However, you would have won if you mixed up your usmash charges, and did not take so much unnecessary damage, especially against a character like marth that can actually kill yoshi off of easy reads. The DI needs work also haha, but thats just reaction time.
If you dont think you are a top 5 yoshi, that doesnt matter, because it is a tournament results ranking, not a skill ranking, because thats how people want to do it for some reason. You have good results, surprise or not. Just get better if you dont think you are good enough, so that you feel you deserve your spot.
You are a good player though, you are just sloppy a lot of the time. You have periods of great play.

Edit: I cried when the untippered fair killed you game 2. PLEASE IMPROVE DAT DI ITS SO IMPORTANT IT WINS SETS. Your egg usage was a little iffy, you are good with them but didnt adapt to him punishing your tosses as well as you couldve.
First off, thanks again for taking the time to make posts like this. =]

Yeah, my DI was pretty mediocre that day. I facepalmed at my second death on SV to dancing blade (lol @ how high up I was when the last hit landed), and I don't think I even tried when that Fair KOed me. >.> Charging Usmashes is something I've been thinking about a lot lately; I'm just really bad at choosing times to charge. I'm really inconsistant in general now; I easily transition to playing very effectively to getting wrecked for no good reason. My mindset is scattered, and I've been psyching myself out a lot lately as a result. :x

Out of curiosity, which match were you referring to when you said I was playing well at the beginningish of his first stock?

:005:

D

Deleted member

The begnning of his third stock i said, and i dont remember which match i was talking about rofl.
Dont overthink the charging thing. You charge when you think he will airdodge. You dont charge when you think he will attack.
Usmash has a buttload of priority and has some tasty shield pushback when charged, so i just charge it whenever i think the opponent is scurred

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
This video has been removed by the user.

The draconic reverse tutorial video. It is gone.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Jile, I've added another post of yours to the OP, it's below it. I hope that works for ya. : )

Sharky

Smash Master
oh yeah I've also got a couple replays of polt vs will saved on my wii. One is on BF and the other is on frigate.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
OK, time for critiquing!

Match 1:

-0:03 Oh, nice wavebounce Egg Toss.

-0:08 Slush, there's one thing I noticed in most of your matches. You try to u-air someone immediately after you Egg Lay them. This is fine at low percentages, but at high ones you should probably only try to hit them with an egg or bait a move when they come out. Don't want to stale one of our best kill moves, now would we?

-0:15 Try not to throw in random d-smashes like that at low percentages, or if you do try to bait a spot-dodge. Pikachu's spot-dodge is really good, so he's able to capitalize on whiffs more than other characters can. That led to you getting grabbed this time, but he can basically do anything to you afterwards. Also, Yoshi shouldn't be chain-grabbed; try DJ away immediately.

-0:44 One nice thing about Pikachu. If he jabs you like that and you don't trip, SDI away and buffer an f-smash. It's always guaranteed because Pikachu has about 20 frames of end lag before he shield.

-0:49 Keep your cool whenever you toss eggs from the ledge. Try to always make them hit even if you're about to be. It can save you sometimes.

-0:56 WHAT WAS THAT!? I NEED TO USE THAT! Cool wall combo, by the way.

-1:12 That was your first big mistake this match: momentum-canceling Pikachu's up-smash. NEVER momentum-cancel it. Trust me, you'll live longer.

-1:24 Yes, DJ out of it just like that, but try to n-air immediately. It should connect before he grabs you again. It will also work if he doesn't buffer an up-smash properly, too.

-1:47 I hate how long Pikachu can live sometimes. It's ridiculous. =_=

-1:51 Be careful about getting hit while ECEing. In this instance, it was possible to drop down low enough and throw an egg that went over his f-smash hitbox while you wouldn't get hit. Pay close attention to how your opponent acts.

-2:27 I wouldn't recommend intentionally Yoshi Bomb Sliding like that unless you can cancel it. You basically put yourself into a ton of lag that led to getting hit by his d-smash. Use mindgames, but don't put yourself into too much risk.

-2:46 Uh, that's different.

-2:51 You died the same way you died your first stock, but with u-tilt now. Trust me, don't momentum-cancel it. I know it's probably ingrained into muscle memory by now but you have make an exception for Pikachu.

-3:26 That was what I was talking about with double-jumping out of his grab stuff. Try to DJ -> n-air.

-3:55 Once again, f-smash was guaranteed there. Probably could have killed him, too (although Pikachu is usually stupid when it comes to surviving).

-4:04 See? You u-aired while he was still in the egg at death percentage, but he only took an extra 7% and down-B'ed while you were recovering from the u-air lag. Waiting for him to come out would have netted you a kill right there. Try to judge how your opponent will break out of the egg and react accordingly; air-dodges usually lead to free u-airs.

-4:14 You got lucky there, but try to break out of the habit.

-4:32 Once again, free f-smash. It would definitely kill him at this percentage. Unfortunately, he read your roll backwards and killed you for it.

Some general notes:

-I noticed you were fishing for the kill most of the time. Just play patiently and the kill will come to you.
-Use tilts more! Tilts are really good against Pikachu since they out-range him and are generally safe against him. Use them to set him up in the air or to reset the field.
-Don't arbitrarily charge your smashes. Use them when they're in range or just about to fall into your range. Try to predict what your opponent is going to do to try to avoid them.

I'll get to the 2nd match later.

bigman40

Smash Master
I see you decided you use the glitch I found a few months ago Slush.

You tend to use the techs slightly more on the reckless side. For instance, the places you DownB'ed at were not good places to use (I'm referring towards the end). I noticed you had a lot of technical errors, so you need to get that fixed, and lastly, I highly recommend you use sliding pivot grabs in some places normal pivot grabs would get punished (Example is around the middle of the match, you got prime on the ledge and he just used invincible frames to hit through your pivot grab).

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
jeez stop being wreckless with your techs lol those down b cancels on Ps1 where super unneeded. ALSO BIG WTF, YOU FOUND A GLITCH AND DIDN'T POST IT IN STUPID YOSHI TRICKS? #imad

bigman40

Smash Master
It was a fairly dumb mishap when it happened, and I didn't think much of it. It's not like it's gonna make that much of a difference in your thread lol.

Top Bottom