• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Visible Hitbubbles in PSA!

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
The tornado was wrong, it's not one streaming hitbox, right? I thought it kind of blinks on and off

Doval

Smash Lord
Sword Glow
11031400:
1st Parameter: trail to use
2nd Parameter: (Value) duration/length of trail
Parameter 2, 6, and 12: (Value) Bone
Parameter 3, 4, 5: 1st point glow trail offsets
Parameter 7, 8, 9: 2nd point glow trail offsets
Parameter 13: Forward offset of glow
Parameter 14: Sidewise offset of glow
Parameter 15: Z offset of glow
Parameter 16: rotate on forward axis
Parameter 17: rotate on sideward axis
Parameter 18: rotate on Z axis?
Boolean Parameter: Disappear at end of subaction
Last Parameter: (Scalar) size of effect.
Eldiran, have I mentioned that I love you?
The tornado was wrong, it's not one streaming hitbox, right? I thought it kind of blinks on and off
It's possible it blinks on and off with no dead frames in between. E.g. A hitbox that lasts frames 1-2, then a new hitbox that lasts frames 3-4, then one that lasts from 5-6, and so on. Without any inactive frames, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference visually between one continuous hitbox and multiple ones.

I honestly don't know, the Specials segment of PSA scares me.

I'll be home soon and I'll try showing the hitboxes on Mario's jab. If I succeed, I'll write up a short guide for Eternal Yoshi.

Doval

Smash Lord
Succeeded in revealing the hitboxes on Ike's jab. The procedure was pretty straightforward:

1) Go to the character's Down Taunts (AppealLw) and add
Code:
(120A0100) Bit Variable Set
Memory Type: Runtime Longterm
Type: Float
Variable #: 100
as the first event in both Down Taunts (Main list). This is what switches on the hitbox graphics.

2) Go to the character's Up Taunts (AppealHi) and add
Code:
(120B0100) Bit Variable Clear
same parameters are Bit Variable Set
as the first event in both Up Taunts. This is what switches the hitboxes off.

3) Go to the attack you want to add hitbox graphics for. Switch over to the GFX event list. Whatever shows up there, encase it in an "Else" and "End If" (if there's nothing in GFX, just add the "End If.") Then add a
Code:
(000A0200) If
Requirement: Bit is Set
Variable: (same as Bit Variable Set)
on top of everything.

4) Inside the "If", we'll want to add a Sword Glow (11031400) for each Offensive Collision the attack has. Make sure to add the appropriate timers (look at the Main section) so the glows start at the same time as the collisions. Fill out 11031400 as such:
Code:
Parameter 0: Value (1)
Parameter 1: Value (0)
Parameter 2: Value (Offensive Collision's Bone*)
Parameter 3-5: Scalar (0)
Parameter 6: Same as 2
Parameter 7-9: Scalar (0)
Parameter 10: Boolean (True)
Parameter 11: Value (32)
Parameter 12: Same as 2
Parameters 13-15: Scalar (Z, Y, and X offsets, respectively)
Parameters 16-18: Scalar (0)
Parameter 19: Scalar (Offensive Collision's Size)
*Double click the Offensive Collision, click on Bone and use the number in the LEFTMOST FOUR DIGITS. The other 4 digits are the ID, which we don't need for this.

5) Now we need to make sure we end the glows at the appropriate times. Look at the attack's info in Main again, and add the same timer that precedes "Terminate Collisions" to your If block, except subtract 1 from the frames on the timer. E.g. If the timer has 3 frames, use 2 in your If. If the original timer only has 1 frame, don't add a timer at all. Now add an event 11050100 and set Parameter 0 to Value (1).

6) Repeat steps 3-5 for the rest of the character's attacks, save the .pac, and put it in your SD.

In short:
Set Bit 100 in the Down Taunts
Clear Bit 100 in the Up Taunts
Set up an If-Else in the attack's GFX list, putting the original contents into the Else
Add the timers and sword glows that correspond to the hitboxes into the If.
End the sword glows 1 frame before the hitboxes end.

EDIT: Thanks a lot Innocent Road. This is really awesome.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
...are you guys making this actually work?

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
I hope something like this gets made for all the characters. And by all the characters, I mean the Brawl+ ones.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
3) Go to the attack you want to add hitbox graphics for. Switch over to the GFX event list. Whatever shows up there, encase it in an "Else:" and "End If:". Then add an If (000A0200) on top of it all with
Requirement: Bit is Set
Variable: (same as Bit Variable Set)
Just to clarify, if there's nothing in the GFX events, you don't need the "Else," right?
Also, I call Falco.

Doval

Smash Lord
Just to clarify, if there's nothing in the GFX events, you don't need the "Else," right?
Good catch. Yeah, you shouldn't need the Else if it's empty.

Also added a screenshot to my earlier post to help you guys see what I mean.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Thanks Innocent road. I'll make a vid tomorrow of Snake's stuff because of IRL stuff and sleep.

Note: I doubt that the props hitboxes will show as they are located elsewhere.

See you all tomorrow.

InnocentRoad

Smash Cadet
Set "Bit Variable Clear" in Entry(L and R).

Parameter2 and Parameter6 of Sword Glow(11031400) do not need to set it.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
More questions!

How exactly do we determine the collision size for Param 19?

Oh, wow. I'm dumb. Reading is hard. :(

Doval

Smash Lord
It's the same number as the Size parameter in the Offensive Collision you're adding a glow for.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
You guys have definitely confirmed via testing that graphic 32 is exactly proportional to hitbox size, right?

If so, this is a very cool endeavor that I support.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
You guys have definitely confirmed via testing that graphic 32 is exactly proportional to hitbox size, right?

If so, this is a very cool endeavor that I support.
1) No, I doubt it.
2) How would you even test that? You'd have to like, go down and superzoom...and even then it might not work out for every single character's hitbox.

Its best to look at these like approximations, as opposed to fact.
-DD

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Well, every hitbox is determined by the same scale, so if a size 1 yellow orb matches a size 1 hitbox perfectly, then it should work for every hitbox of any size.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Well, every hitbox is determined by the same scale, so if a size 1 yellow orb matches a size 1 hitbox perfectly, then it should work for every hitbox of any size.
Well, of course xD!

But yeah, I don't think they tested.

Seems good enough though.

-DD

Doval

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell from playing around with Ike's jab and Meta Knight/Snake, the glowing orbs are accurate representations of the hit boxes for any practical purpose. You'll get phantom hits around their outlines.

The only ways I can see we can improve upon this is finding a way to make the hit box graphics transparent, and finding a way to automate the process of producing the .pacs.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Off topic: @phi1ny3. Where did you get your avatar? That's an amazing translation to a human figure. I wanna see more.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I don't remember the artist's name anymore, but he pretty much made a bunch of these "cosplay" cartoons that are really well done. Just type "______ cosplay" on photobucket, and you might have to dig around for it, but you'll find it usually.

Thank you Innocentroads, you've outdone yourself again.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
I do say that Luigi, Falcon, and Jiggz are musts. Mainly because of Luigi's Up B and Down Taunt, Jigg's rest, and Falcon's overall awesomeness.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Samus, please! We really need this data BAD!

And who ever did this, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Doval

Smash Lord
>_<

Fine then. I'll do Yoshi then.
And Wario.
You can still do Snake+. From the ridiculous range, I'm fairly sure Innocent Roads used Snake's vanillla pac.

I've been waiting for this forever. Again, words can't express how great this is.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
When you guys get them, can you post the effect files or whatever here?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
People should keep in mind that hitboxes interpolate ("stretch") between the locations of the previous frame's and current frame's hitbox locations.

The hitboxes aren't perfect circles because they're a combination of two different locations, as you can see above -- the higher stretched portion is the location where the fist was the previous frame. Magus has confirmed that hitboxes work similarly in Brawl.

Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman
The only hitboxes I imagine we won't be able to see are projectiles, as you can't edit those properties in PSA.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****, these last couple weeks have been absolutely amazing.

Is anyone going to make a pac for Falco? I'd love to see how ******** the hit box on phantasm is.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Why dont you guys do these hitbox tests on the results stage? Where it's pitch black?

That way the hitboxes look more defined and are easier to analyze. e__e

Top Bottom