• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Excellence

Smash Champion
How safe is using the first hit of Neutral Aerial out of shield after landing behind someone in shield. I'm not sure but unless someone sees it coming, I don't think a lot of characters have the speed or priority to deal with it too well. They could always run but if they're expecting Down Aerial, how well does it work?

If an opponent can be thrown off stage, is it better to punish them with Down Aerial get the stock lead or Forward Throw and get the positional advantage?

How well does Up Aerial out of shield work?

Excellence

Smash Champion
You have the option to follow up on an attack and punish. Do you Throw them offstage to gain positional advantage or do you DAir (in this case having the stock lead) and proceed to play runaway or whatever.

tedeth

Smash Master
OH ok then.

Depends on character/%s/stage location.

Against MK I would prolly dair them rather than throw them offstage because hey, MK's getting back.

Against Falco, for example, on low %s I would prolly dair and try to follow up with something else combo-riffic. If I've got him near the edge on mid-high %s I would prolly throw him off and go for a gimp or try to rack damage out of his recovery.

I'd say alot of people would give alot of different answers to this question, and they may all be correct.

I'd advise you to experiment with alot of options and see what works for you and what you feel most comfortable with.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I don't think these things are really subjective. In the case of Falco, his entire game revolves around positioning so you should always throw him off the ledge. That's probably one of the only cases where I would always throw them off so everything else, I just wanted to know what generally works best with Wario. I know he can gimp really well but I also feel like damage racking is part of his hit and run style of play.

bassem6

Smash Lord
Would you throw him off if he had 0%? I would dair to f-smash, a 30%+ combo. Would you throw him off if he had 52+%? I would dthrow chaingrab him. Theres never really a universally correct answer. Most of the time its going to be situational.

KAB1

Smash Apprentice
What is the use of short hop down air for Wario? I just don't know how to use it because when I short hop, I'm trying to hit my opponents laterally, thus I generally only use fair or bair (or sometimes nair). Because dair has poor lateral range, I just don't know how to use it in a short hop. I struggle to get dairs in if my opponent is not directly below me in general. :/

Edit: Thanks guys. :)

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Short hop dair is great to mix your game up. I find that if I am shield pressuring my opponent then do a sh dair it's either going to connect because their shield is weak or I'll get all the through them and get a grab from behind.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Would you throw him off if he had 0%? I would dair to f-smash, a 30%+ combo. Would you throw him off if he had 52+%? I would dthrow chaingrab him. Theres never really a universally correct answer. Most of the time its going to be situational.
Yes and yes. I would rather take the chance of just getting the free stock than damage any day. I don't see damage as all that important on Falco because he'll just wall you and laser you to the damage back. He's not the easiest character to get a hold of.

FD96

Smash Cadet
I'm new to wario and am wondering if people wait on the invincibility platform when they die; I don't see any reason not to, it just gives you extra time to charge your fart.

FD96

Smash Cadet
well in videos I watched I didn't see people doing it, so I'm unsure if there is some reason I don't know about that makes people not do it

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Yo I need some serious help fellas. This luigi matchup is ****ing horrible for me. His down air is **** against luigi. Luigi also seeks like he has priority over warios moveset. I'm also getting juggled around like a ***** lol. Someone give me some tips on how to approach this douche.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I've been reading through some threads that give shape to the various skill levels players have and on what part of the learning curve they are on. Though I know there is no definite point on a learning curve or skill level that can really be identified unless you're comparing yourself to the best of the best with tournament results, I have began to get a better idea of where I am as a player. Not specifically Wario. In general, what are some things that you all do while trying to learn a match-up, how to deal with specific situations, or how to make the best of your specific playstyle. How do you all tend to put things into perspective for yourself so that you can best learn?

Damage Points

Smash Ace
I try to learn what time of matchup it will be as far as play style. Is it gonna be a matchup where I can play aggro or a campy matchup. I also try to figure out which of my moves can out prioritized the character I'm fighting or vice versa. The current matchup I'm struggling with is luigi. He has high priority on his attacks and is aggravating the piss out of me.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
It's easily gonna be campy, I enjoy using dair and nair against Luigis and getting grabs is good for positioning too. Fart their side B, and just weave in and out.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
I like to pummel release weegee since he doesnt go far then jab then regrab lol. Works sometimes.

Padô

Smash Lord
I've been reading through some threads that give shape to the various skill levels players have and on what part of the learning curve they are on. Though I know there is no definite point on a learning curve or skill level that can really be identified unless you're comparing yourself to the best of the best with tournament results, I have began to get a better idea of where I am as a player. Not specifically Wario. In general, what are some things that you all do while trying to learn a match-up, how to deal with specific situations, or how to make the best of your specific playstyle. How do you all tend to put things into perspective for yourself so that you can best learn?

First of all, try to detect something that you almost ALWAYS do to approach or get away from your opponent, or just something that he is always punishing, recording your own videos and watching them back is really good to do this... In the next match with the guy you have difficulties just try to NOT USE that options you detected (If you use it, take a breath and restart), by doing this you are forcing your 'unconscient' to work on adaptability, since your opponent is nulyfing that option, you don't even need it anymore. Once you opponent start figuring out what you doing start over with the 'NOT USE' part or try different mixups and see how he is reacting to them.

The same works to defensive and ofensive options, once you are too aggresive and your opponent is ****** you try not to be, and start planking/camping a little and check hoiw this is reacting.

My point is: try to mixup a LOT your game to find out the openings, so you can detect where are the characters flaws and strenghts; This is the "trial and fail", the basic Behaviourism method to detect people reactions.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Agreed with Pado, allow me to add one very important thing: If you feel like you're getting read too much even though your opponent in no way outclasses you to that extent, whenever your opponent reads you so well he can commit to doing stupid stuff that's way too punishable if whiffed, and only really punishable when a read is made, I can tell you:

YOU'RE PLAYING TOO AGGRESSIVELY.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Thanks you guys, the information has been put to good use. o_0

How should I deal with G&W's who are really spamming and good at running away. The one in particular that I'm dealing with is BAir'ing just out of reach, shielding himself with NAir, and retreating with either BAir, retreating NAir, or that Parachute. Any advice?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Bair beats nair. Nothing he does is perfectly safe, FH beats whatever he does in a shorthop except for nair. Simple fair approach beats his SH nair, shield approach is extremely safe and beats quite some stuff. Predicted upB can be clapped up you react quickly, everything he does has a specific counter from you, only that counter is probably safer than what he has to go through.

Know when not to try and punish something he does, I learned that if he randomly starts charging usmash in the middle of the stage, you shouldn't really bother trying to punish it, ****'s safe as hell. If he keeps running away, make sure that means you get stage control, gaw needs the space.

Could write an essay on the MU, no time for that now though.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Our BAir beats his NAir? Does it have to be spaced out to the max or will it always beat it? Doe s"FH" mean Forward Hop? If it does, that means I have to Air Dodge into it right?

Anyone know how to deal with Peach? She's really starting to get on my nerves. I'm not sure what I can do to her if she's floating toward me at 10 o'clock and throwing out DAir's. She usually only catches me with this if I'm near the ledge but it's a pain because it racks up a lot of damage and I'm not sure how to get out of it, what to expect her to do when she's finished with it, or how to punish it. How do I approach Peach?

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
He slides extremely far. Even if he wouldn't, his jab would beat all of our options except for shielding lol.
I actually have a replay of me pummel releasing luigi and him barely moving two inches. He does slide far at all *by the ledge i think*. I know it does but hey not everyone knows it does beisides its just a mixup. I never do it more than once a match usually.

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
is bdacus as awesome as it seems? I have yet to play against someone and use it on them, but it looks extremely useful.

Excellence

Smash Champion
This again:

Our BAir beats his NAir? Does it have to be spaced out to the max or will it always beat it? Doe s"FH" mean Forward Hop? If it does, that means I have to Air Dodge into it right?

Anyone know how to deal with Peach? She's really starting to get on my nerves. I'm not sure what I can do to her if she's floating toward me at 10 o'clock and throwing out DAir's. She usually only catches me with this if I'm near the ledge but it's a pain because it racks up a lot of damage and I'm not sure how to get out of it, what to expect her to do when she's finished with it, or how to punish it. How do I approach Peach?
In addtion to: What is this BDacus I've been hearing about?

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Slik: I just go by Og now. You and I were chatting it up on the Apex livestream a bit too. Remember OgOgOg42? Too bad ustream doesn't allow for 2 character names :/

Excellence: Bdacus is basically exactly what it looks like. Buffered Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ky9cP9h6JQ

Note: You can also do it out of your aerials :D

Also as for Peach, you need to play that matchup patiently. DMG wasn't kidding when he said that you two will be timing each other out if you're playing that matchup right. Being under Peach like that when she's floating just isn't safe in general. What I would honestly recommend doing is run away, and make her land and reset. You get many more options just from playing that matchup so patiently instead of taking the aggressive "What do I have to counteract this situation?" kind of mindset.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
So apparently Gluttony and a zelda main from europe think the matchup is 58:42 wario.
Discuss.
I think that its just GOOD zeldas are so rare that we mis judge the matchup.

Top Bottom