• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Warios best move is grab since he grab ***** pretty well.

Also approuching a good mk is impossiable but usually they get bored and do something stupid and thats your time to punish. Falcos *besides larrys* have the same problem with camping.
I wouldn't say it's impossible. Even if the Mk is walling you good you're still going to have to get inside. You first need to be patient you're not going to beat MK with any of you're aerials. He clearly has the range and speed on his side. If you rush you'll never get inside and you will get *****. So you need to watch and pay attention to the things the MK are doing. If you can't get inside with wario you might as well learn a different character in the match up. Also once inside you have to effectively be able to punish him whether it's shield grabs Oos nairs bairs fairs or dairs. A lot of this depends on the move the MK just used and how far/close you are two them. It's really a pain TBH but you gotta keep a lot of these things in mind. You can approach you have to be cautious space good punish well. You can't just run at MK with dairs and nairs and fairs and expect to win.

Hey guys, I've main'd Wario since late 08 and still suck. I typically get bracket ***** and can't go to many tournaments as it is, so I play online quite a bit.

There's a DDD player that I brawl often and I almost always lose, though it's usually close. He tells me that I should try camping him really hard, but I've always gotten mixed results doing that. When I camp, I'm safer in general but I also become very predictable... plus I'm always tempted to punish when I think I see an opening and don't camp for a very long time. Any tips for fixing this habit? I'm normally an aggressive Wario, but I just don't think that's the best way to play him... at least not vs D3.

I'm probably going to start posting more here too, so let's have fun :p
Good to hear if you have any question don't be afraid to ask. Wario boards are helpful with a lot of good posters and a couple of trolls.

Whether you're an aggro wario or a campy wario it doesn't matter you still need to be patient. The ability to camp with a lead in this match up is a god send. Forcing d3 to approach makes things a lot easier. If you feel as though you're being predictable then switch it up. Jump to one side of the stage then act like you're going to do that again then jump back to your original position. Bike jump away and etc. Also staying near the ledge limits the amount of damage he can do to you with the chain grab.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I've main'd Wario since late 08 and still suck. I typically get bracket ***** and can't go to many tournaments as it is, so I play online quite a bit.

There's a DDD player that I brawl often and I almost always lose, though it's usually close. He tells me that I should try camping him really hard, but I've always gotten mixed results doing that. When I camp, I'm safer in general but I also become very predictable... plus I'm always tempted to punish when I think I see an opening and don't camp for a very long time. Any tips for fixing this habit? I'm normally an aggressive Wario, but I just don't think that's the best way to play him... at least not vs D3.

I'm probably going to start posting more here too, so let's have fun :p
When I'm playing D3's, I try to mix it up with Retreating Fairs; and you can do mix-ups with how you jump.

Full-Hop Airdodge

Short-Hop

Run towards BUT STAY OUT OF HIS GRAB RANGE and run back

You see where I'm going with this?

Maybe someone else could explain better. Just be creative.

Edit: AL ninja'd me like a champion..yeeeeeee

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
When I'm playing D3's, I try to mix it up with Retreating Fairs; and you can do mix-ups with how you jump.

Full-Hop Airdodge

Short-Hop

Run towards BUT STAY OUT OF HIS GRAB RANGE and run back

You see where I'm going with this?

Maybe someone else could explain better. Just be creative.

Edit: AL ninja'd me like a champion..yeeeeeee
What are retreating fairs supposed to do against d3 ?

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
So when you guys are camping, how do you know when to attack and when to back off? I know the idea is to punish them when they commit to something, but I need a more specific idea since some of his attacks are so tricky to punish (at least online).

I've also heard that dthrow can be buffered into reverse dtilt... anyone ever use that? lol

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
They poke and interrupt him a lot, good for setting up bites in that regard, and general annoyance/damage racking.
Really? I've never tried it. Maybe i will i just try to get away from d3 when ever he does things like that.

So when you guys are camping, how do you know when to attack and when to back off? I know the idea is to punish them when they commit to something, but I need a more specific idea since some of his attacks are so tricky to punish (at least online).

I've also heard that dthrow can be buffered into reverse dtilt... anyone ever use that? lol
Look for whiffed grabs and how he lands. Yeah you can buffer it I've never used it though.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion

You should back off when you have a percent lead and let him come to you.

When you're down...you kinda have no choice but to attack.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
And having Fthrow fresh is better than having Dthrow or Dtilt fresh

tedeth

Smash Master
You should back off when you have a percent lead and let him come to you.

When you're down...you kinda have no choice but to attack.
Actually as long as it's fairly close, one thing I like to do it to just sit in a neutral position even when my opponent has a % lead and doesn't want to approach so that I can charge my fart.

Alot of people seem content to hold their % lead, not realisiing straght away that i'm using that time to my advantage.

Of course this strategy isn't so good when the timer is low or when you're like really far behind or something.

Padô

Smash Lord
Also, characters which have crappy aerial movement and are heavy like Snake you can Dthrow > DTilt (Buffered) > Bite or pivot grab or bait airdodge > FSmash, it's a shenanigan against heavy characters

hunger!

Smash Champion
how do you dthrow buffered dtilt. it's like literally the only thing i dont know how to do in this game.

i gotta learn this lil shenanigan

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
hmm I guess when above MK the best thing to do is airdodge? all his aerials beat my Dair, even his Utilt which is very annoying. I guess I gotta switch it up.

I developed a strat to fight MK by keeping him either above me or in front of me. I always get ***** when he's below me. The Fair/Ftilt is hard to get through.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Anything useful advances in the metagame while i was away?
not really....

hmm I guess when above MK the best thing to do is airdodge? all his aerials beat my Dair, even his Utilt which is very annoying. I guess I gotta switch it up.

I developed a strat to fight MK by keeping him either above me or in front of me. I always get ***** when he's below me. The Fair/Ftilt is hard to get through.
You typically don't want to be above MK.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
When you're fighting MK you generally want to recover high. If you must recover low, use the bike far away from the ledge and be prepared to DI because he can hit you with nair or dair as you go up. You just gotta be tricky to hit and be prepared, because it's really unlikely that you won't get hit at all if they're good at edgeguarding.

Thanks for the advice on aircamping guys, I'm going to practice it more when I play. I got WRECKED at my last tournament and really wanna step it up so I can go to more tournaments in the summer. Outside from playing and posting here more, what do you guys think is the best way to improve?

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
The best way to improve is different for each person. Some people benefit most from watching videos, others from playing better people, others from getting advice/mentoring from better players. Most people it's a combination though
Shame I rarely get that at tournaments...

BMX and PF are like the only two..

:/

Padô

Smash Lord
When you're fighting MK you generally want to recover high. If you must recover low, use the bike far away from the ledge and be prepared to DI because he can hit you with nair or dair as you go up. You just gotta be tricky to hit and be prepared, because it's really unlikely that you won't get hit at all if they're good at edgeguarding.

Thanks for the advice on aircamping guys, I'm going to practice it more when I play. I got WRECKED at my last tournament and really wanna step it up so I can go to more tournaments in the summer. Outside from playing and posting here more, what do you guys think is the best way to improve?

So Silver, I asked my self about the same question for about 8 months ago. People told me just what Masky said.

I'd say watching videos is the best way to see something new that you'd like to implement in your actual game and watch experienced players getting over some "walls" that you usually have trouble to deal with.

Playing better people will help you to control yourself, be patient, learn matchups and get over patterns, this is probably the best way to improve yourself. By playing those people you are most likely to lose so you gotta adapt in many ways to get over different playstyles and thats ESSENTIAL to Wario. (Did you read AL's Mayweather Effect?), also, playing against people is a lot more effective than watching videos, its a bit hard to control yourself. Sometimes you catch youself rushing inconsciently for a kill or not being pacient enough, while playing friendlies try to get someone to watch your matches and tell him to warn you when you start taking bad decisions at the game, it's a little hard to accept those flaws but it's really necessary to adjust your game.

You should understand also that almost all the Wario players started to get good placings on tourneys after they learned the matchups properly so be sure to check our MU thread for info you need to get over some matchup difficulties.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
It's funny because that's not true.

Walling =/= projectile camping.
I assume you dont get what i mean. Most falcos stop camping with laser if the opponent is in a safe position and cant get hit. Like mk by the ledge and planking. Ive noticed in matches of larry vs tyrant larry just keep it cool and camps with laser and side b's very intelligently. Alot of other falcos are flashy and dont stick with what works. Sk92 used to do that but he SAYS he's going to be more campy *which is sad cause i like watching him :(*.

Its somewhat differnet with mk and wario but similar since some mks arent patient enough and make bad descions especially if wairo has the percent lead.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Oh and im not saying the matchup with mk is impossiable or anything. I just play this guy named Anaki alot and he plays wario like m2k pretty much. I can beat him in mk dittos though :)

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
There is but i mean, when your first starting out, (as i believe the original asker was?) its hard to know your bike mind games, but learn them and mk becomes tons easier. but still not even IMO.

Top Bottom