• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario stage discussion [Flat Zone 2]

Ace55

Smash Lord
Tech that ****!

...if you can >_>

I spend most of my time on right side, performing aerials and then snapping to various edges. It's risky business though because you can get Klapped if you're on the edge of the lower platform. What I like to do is grab the edge of the rightmost platform, when ledgehop an aerial and grab the edge on the other side. And sometimes move back and forth beneath that platform. Such as letting go, then jumping below it and grabbing the other edge. Just lots of edge games to mess around with. Take advantage of the ledge invincibility when you can.

It's almost impossible to die in the water, no matter where you are. Even if you fall in from the left side. Just jump twice really fast and bike to safety. It's hard to edgeguard an opponent who falls into the water, but do your best to pester them as much as possible. Run over and grab onto an edge that you think they might grab. This usually forces them to try and grab a certain edge because it's the only one available. Then try to exploit it from there. Basically make them go where you want them to go.

Whenever you're fighting on the middle platform, try to get them on the higher middle platform so you can land a few claps from below. The left side of the stage is risky because there's less time to recover, however you can get some easy gimps on your opponent if you play your cards right. Also, try not to ever have the bike laying around. It's extremely important because you're basically screwed without it. If you do bike, make sure you break it ASAP or just ghostride it into the water. Remember, one of the fastest ways to get a bike on the ground is to run off the stage, then almost immediately bike in the opposite direction. The bike crashes into the stage and lands on the ground, so now you can break it quickly for tires.

As PhantomX mentioned, you probably won't be getting any vertical kills on this stage. So feel free to spam the clap to your heart's content :). It racks up tons of damage whether it's fresh or not. Spam it! Save that fsmash for later ;)

Remember when I said Wariocide has an odd twist on this stage? What I mean by that is you can often score a kill by "Wariociding" them into the water. I usually just ledgehop a bite and take them down with me. Now that you're both in the water, you can royally screw your opponent over. Land a footstool, steal the edge they try to grab or just hit them when they try to jump. Also, some characters just plain suck at recovering on this stage, so all you have to do is get them into the water. A bite is usually the easiest way to do so. As Hoots mentioned, your opponent is released first. The work is usually done for you. =]

It's my favorite stage ;) this and Green Greens.

That's what I'm talking about! Mind if I just drop most of this in the summary? It's way too good to just be hanging around on page 8.

You're a champ 56k.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Somebody asked for it so here it is: Halberd. I personally hate it when the claw starts mindgaming you but that goes for every character. Perhaps if your a big Delfino fan this can make a better counterpick against Dedede, but I don't see too many reasons why you would wanna pick this stage.

Also, the story behind 56k's sig is hilarious. *wait, he changed it to dancing zombies*

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Halberd, my FAVORITE and BEST stage. This stage is not very good for Wario half the time, Wario is stuck to a ground game for the first half of the stage when the platform is taking off until it lands on the Halberd. This is because there is a very large platform in the center, and your opponent will most likely hide underneath it to avoid your air combos. Also, they CAN'T grab you for the first 10 seconds of the match, as you will always be grab released while the halberd is taking off. This happens as well when you ride the platform off the halberd, but most matches don't take that long.

There is another nice thing about the platform, but this could be a bane as well. The sides are very easy to grab onto, but don't use a special to grab on it, as you will most likely miss. This is because the platform is a semi fallthrough, like Delfino, but much harder to grab the edges with a special. Also, until you land on the halberd, its impossible or near impossible to do Wario's Dthrow combo due to the smallness of the platform.

Now onto the Halberd itself, it has 3 obstacles, and for the most part is like FD but with a center platform. You can be caught in lips and stagespike in them too, but you can't go underneath the stage like in FD.

Now for the Tri-cannon. This thing will do 1 of 3 things, it will either, target someone, and shoot its laser, which can be Smash Di'ed out of. Do not get close once its fired, its hitbox doubles for the hit that launches, and it can kill you at decent percents. Its also free damage if you can get someone in it, and you can shield it and have very little of your shield go away. The next thing it can do is the Cannon ball, this is a very slow moving blastbox, you can tell when its being fired as the cannon will glow red and make lots of noise before firing. Throw your opponents into this to get some good damge, and since your Wario, you can easily avoid it. The last thing it does is the claw, this is easy to dodge, but you never know who it'll hit, so its a good idea to dodge it even if it wouldn't hit you. It can kill around 110%

Now, Wario is bad for the first half of the stage, but once it lands ON the halberd itself, Wario becomes very good at the stage, as they will start chasing you now, and you have much more room to work with. Also, the ceiling is low on this stage, so Clap kills can be made earlier, and once the Halberd lands, the sides become very close as well, which is nice for Fsmash kills and Fthrow kills.

also, Don't use a fully charged Wario Waft here, you'll kill yourself if your in the air.

Now VS Dedede, its like Delfino, but a little worse for him due to no walls or walk offs, but its still a good stage for him. And DO NOT CP this if the opponent is MK, this is one of his best stages. (he doesn't have a bad one though...)

Ace55

Smash Lord
^Nice writeup thank you.

One thing I really like about floors like on Halberd& Delfino is how hard it is to edgeguard Waro when he hangs from the ledge. Even when Lucario is loading up Fsmash like halfway across the stage you can still punish him for it, and return to the stage with the bike.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Castle Siege: Dedede likes this stage. The most dangerous part I would say is during the teansformation from stage 1 to 2. If he grabs you on stage 1 he can chaingrab you during the transform and then continue towards the walkoff on stage 2.

During stage 2 you can just camp the platforms and so avoid being (chain)grabbed. When played carefully this stage shouldn't be so devastating at all against Dedede.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Bump

What does a guy have to do to get a sticky around here (besides beating Azen in a tournament set, that could be tricky for several reasons)?

But seriously tell me something, all I've faced here are a bad Marth and a decent Dedede and Lucario. On the other hand Dedede is probably the only one who will ever take you here, I don't see many others having a real advantage here.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What does a guy have to do to get a sticky around here (besides beating Azen in a tournament set, that could be tricky for several reasons)?
Haha, no you have to beat him in a tourney set just to get me to change costumes or give up my rights to use Cotton Candy Wario XD

Castle Siege, walkoff part is bad cause it doesn't let you abuse your recovery and cause Dedede. All other parts are fine for Wario. Sides are close somewhat I think, which is usually good for Wario.

Ace55

Smash Lord
In a desparate effort to remain more concervative then the Republican party the Dutch tournament scene has banned Yoshi's old stage. I havn't really played on it much, so does anybody else know how it works for Wario?

sluys

Smash Journeyman
i go to pipes sometimes (not by choice).

It's not terrible for Wario, just pressure them to a side with aerials and you should get some kills.

Teching off the blocks can save you if you time it right.

Biting on the slanted sides can catch people of guard because Wario tilts his head up or down depending on the direction.

I've been able to trap people in the middle hole with dair

Ace55

Smash Lord
It's pretty nice techchasing then on the right side. Rolling towards the walk off is something most people don't wanna do, so they either roll left or stand up/attack: in which case you knock them down again. Repeat until they escape or can be killed by upair.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Yes, very interesting stage. Writeup will be huge. They should have just put the music on the brawl version and transported Yoshi's story, which was an awesome stage.

Very classy avatar you've got there Phantom.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Getting stuck down the middle b/c you did some aerial and fell through a block is BALLS, and you can't recover by the time the aerial auto-cancels.

**** straight. Wario's a pimp.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
thanks for using my Quote for Halberd. all I can add for yoshi's, No need to air gimp here, and the blastlines, especially the upper one, are close, so Uair kills are easily done at 90%, 60% for lightweights, 110% for heavies, or about.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I wish they played Weegee's Mansion music on other stages, cuz it has the best music ever. Unfortunately this stage is balls. The little platforms always get in the way, there's a mini cave of immortality in the bottom of the house which limits killing upwards, and other characters can just abuse the stage more. If you for whatever reason haven't banned this, either switch character or destroy half the house and attempt to take the fight out there.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I wish they played Weegee's Mansion music on other stages, cuz it has the best music ever. Unfortunately this stage is balls. The little platforms always get in the way, there's a mini cave of immortality in the bottom of the house which limits killing upwards, and other characters can just abuse the stage more. If you for whatever reason haven't banned this, either switch character or destroy half the house and attempt to take the fight out there.
I just destroy the house vs ROBS and anyone else that might trouble me (Olimar for example.)

Just destroy one half of the house, like the left side or the right side. It cannot regenerate until the entire house is destroyed IIRC, so just remove half of it and pressure them into the open.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I could see this stage beeing good against Falco. But it's banned so I wouldn't know. Don't really mind that it's banned though. I've begun to hate this stage more and more.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
They can tech your throw -_-
I do Fthrow anyways, if they tech it puts them right above me and to the right/left a bit, so you run, shield their aerial, repeat lol. :)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Couldn't find a Q&A thread, so I'll ask here. Would any of you agree on this?:

:warioc: Wario
Best: Battlefield
Worst:
It's for this thread, discussing each character's 3 best and worst stages.

If no, suggestions?

Ace55

Smash Lord
BF, R Cruise and J japes could be seen as his three best stages I guess. Probably not in this order though. DMG should really answer this one.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Green Greens for Wario imo. If I need to pick a neutral, then Smashville. it's small, which is good for him.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Green Greens for Wario imo. If I need to pick a neutral, then Smashville. it's small, which is good for him.
Didn't even think about green greens. That stage gets just as much playtime here as new pork city, but I'll take your word for it. Brinstar however is legal but never gets played on, I'll have to check that out more.

I also feel you are biased for Smashville because of the slow music:p.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Didn't even think about green greens. That stage gets just as much playtime here as new pork city, but I'll take your word for it. Brinstar however is legal but never gets played on, I'll have to check that out more.

I also feel you are biased for Smashville because of the slow music:p.
It's not just the music, it's because it's the smallest stage in the game (one of them), and at least the smallest neutral. Everyone knows how close spaces are kind to Wario.

Brinstar messes up CGs, he can't be grab released at the edges, the fire leads to close spaces, which, again, Wario likes. Fairly close sides and top for early kills. Green Greens is good b/c a fsmash kills people at 30 on the side, haha.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Come on guys I would like at least one comment about Norfair before I start a new one.

Also is it just me, or is Brinstar an awesome counterpick against Diddy?

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Here's my opinion on Norfair.

I think it's a pretty good counter pick stage. I wouldn't say it's his best but it's a pretty good option. The platforms are perfect to not allow much grab release to up-smash/u-tilt from a DDD or Snake. He doesn't have trouble maneuvering around the stage either and recover from any part. The cool thing about the platforms is that when hanging from one you can let go, jump under the platform and clap then grab onto the platform ledge below. The only problem I see with this stage is how big it is. Wario doesn't control this stage as much as cramped stage and reason is because he can't constantly put pressure on the opponent. The deep vertical pit and lava prevent trying to gimp Wario's bike recovery and Falco from chain spiking too which is always a plus. I think when considering this stage you should consider who you're going up against. Not a bad stage to go against a DDD but I wouldn't choose it against a G&W or someone with a stronger/more priority aerial game then you.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
That's not true. The platforms are JUST large enough for Falco to do a boost-pivot grab or two on you into a spike... Sethlon did it to me, it was pretty crazy. This stage is also HUGE, so it really helps campers, especially when the lava is limiting your mobility.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
Let's revive this thread...

I think it's pretty evident that Norfair is a decent counterpick. If you're going for the kill, head up to the top of the stage and if you're at high %'s make sure to try and stay to the lower platforms. Both U-air and F-smash kill well if you're not at the lowest platform. Approach smartly and don't pick it against campers or characters like G&W.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Norfair is a DECENT counterpick... but anytime you can take someone to Norfair, you can take em to another stage for better results. What makes this stage kinda lame for us is that it's FRIGGIN HUGE. We like small, tight spaces (like we like our *****!).

Ace55

Smash Lord
Yes, Pictochat. Couldn't think of any other stage at the moment. Is it generally allowed over there?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Pictochat is generally a counterpick stage if the tournament host even has it allowed (that will vary from host to host and tournament to tournament). I personally think the stage is mad fun, but it seems to have a terrible vendetta against Warios. Also, don't take Kirby here, he has that ******** infinite rock thing on the slanted edges.

To see the hatred of Warios, watch the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJlkI5qkPQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcojcb7ZMxc

Top Bottom