• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing in Brawl... (Hacked version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Snake, Sonic and Zero Suit Samus's helpless falling animation looks exactly the same as what they do after their up-b, only they (obviously) can't attack and stuff. ROB freezing the game is a major problem.

Crow!

Smash Lord
I just tried it; it totally works. However, I think it needs some improvements; the movement portion of the air dodge seems annoyingly short, and so you wind up just floating, at a standstill, for slmost a second, and after that second you're totally helpless and land with the worst landing lag possible. In short, using the "air dodge" to dodge an attack in midair is just a bad idea; you'll get punished EVERY time.

I answered my own questions about item throwing and Zairs:

Interrupting the air dodge aborts the motion; throwing items out of this isn't as badass as it could have been.

Interrupting the air dodge with a Zair is absurd. First you get to move in any direction due to the airdodge, then you stay invincible until you decide to actually attack. There is a HUGE window of opprotunity for when you can make that decision; you can even decide to ZAIR AFTER YOU START FALLING AFTER THE AIRDODGE, before the code sends you to the Up-B state. Once you do Zair, you start falling and probably immediately hit the ground and have 0 lag. For instance, Zair-jab-jab is a VERY easy combo for Samus.

Also, MK's wavedash-Ftilt is stupid good.

So a recap:

This "air dodge" needs to have the Up-B post dodge animation portion of the code removed. I'm certain that it is the cause of the Rob crashes (since he has no such animation to speak of) and it makes the non-Zair characers no longer able to dodge attacks in the air effectively.

I think gravity needs to be restored sooner than it is. Not only will this prevent the above suggestion from breaking the game with floaty characters, but it will feel much more natural and less hacked.

Sjeele

Smash Apprentice
Ow BTW, I mentioned something weird..

1) If you hold down and back/forward an press x/y and L/R(/Z) you waveslide (or it's improved wavedash (you'll see it many time in my vid))..

2) If you are Zelda, and choose her on the select screen, you can wavedash with her, but if you change to Sheik, she can't..
The same problem with, Pokemon Trainer and Samus..
But if you turn back to Zelda again, she still can wavedash (it only count for the starting character)..

I don't know if someone mentrion it before..

Edit: Yes Zairs goes tru airdodges, so you can airdodge, Z , airdodge, Z, airdodge, Z etc..

Grunt

Smash Master
I just tried it; it totally works. However, I think it needs some improvements; the movement portion of the air dodge seems annoyingly short, and so you wind up just floating, at a standstill, for slmost a second, and after that second you're totally helpless and land with the worst landing lag possible. In short, using the "air dodge" to dodge an attack in midair is just a bad idea; you'll get punished EVERY time.

I answered my own questions about item throwing and Zairs:

Interrupting the air dodge aborts the motion; throwing items out of this isn't as badass as it could have been.

Interrupting the air dodge with a Zair is absurd. First you get to move in any direction due to the airdodge, then you stay invincible until you decide to actually attack. There is a HUGE window of opprotunity for when you can make that decision; you can even decide to ZAIR AFTER YOU START FALLING AFTER THE AIRDODGE, before the code sends you to the Up-B state. Once you do Zair, you start falling and probably immediately hit the ground and have 0 lag. For instance, Zair-jab-jab is a VERY easy combo for Samus.

Also, MK's wavedash-Ftilt is stupid good.

So a recap:

This "air dodge" needs to have the Up-B post dodge animation portion of the code removed. I'm certain that it is the cause of the Rob crashes (since he has no such animation to speak of) and it makes the non-Zair characers no longer able to dodge attacks in the air effectively.

I think gravity needs to be restored sooner than it is. Not only will this prevent the above suggestion from breaking the game with floaty characters, but it will feel much more natural and less hacked.
wait, so Zairs go through air dodges???

Crow!

Smash Lord
Oh sorry, I forgot I wasn't posting on the Link boards. Most people don't know the details of Zairs since the characters that have them aren't high enough placing to worry about.. This hack could totally change that, though, if it becomes prevalent.

While you are air dodging, you can press Z (or shield+A) to instantly stop air dodging and do a Zair. Works for all Zair characters.

Fino

Smash Master
Wave dashing <3
Though I do think we can leave it there. There are something's abour brawl that I like just because it's unique to melee. Tripping and footstools forsure can stay ^_^

~Fino

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I don't know much about game hacking, but shouldn't it be possible to make an exeption for ROB to put him in a different state? I suspect it would be possible to put him into his "charging mah lazars" (down B) mode until he hits the ground... If not, maybe just try setting his fuel to 0?

As for the Zair, would it be possible to give it landing lag? If not, I really don't think it would be unreasonable balance-wise to force Zair to cause fallspecial. I admit, Link would take another fall, but it might be worth it. Or, what if Samus got fallspecial but Link didn't?

I think it's possible to balance this.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Spiffy to play around with, but this sure as hell breaks air dodging completely due to up+b failfalls, which sorta never wants me to ever leave the ground.

This may have been mentioned before as I didn't read all the posts. But PT (rather, the pokemon can't, HE probably could but you can't play as him :p) can't seem to do it and Shiek can't either, but Zelda can.

Fino

Smash Master
whoa, I just thought of something...
Tether recoverers take heart..... third JUMP <3<3<3<3
As much as I love this, getting every wii hacked in a tournament is just not viable (though I could be wrong)

~Fino

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Take That Sakurai!!!
shut up, will you? man you're an annoying pest on this board.

and on another note, are some character's wavedashes longer than they were in melee or are they the same? (Luigi's looked the same).

Kadardes

Smash Apprentice
I'm still worried about how metaknight is going to be with the added hitstun... Maybe if we didn't give him any extra hitstun he wouldn't be god tier anymore? :)

EDIT:
For ROB, could we just make him automatically do a nair but lengthen the starting lag of the move to like infinite so he could still move and stuff? No falling animation needed to be created :)

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Interesting to read about R.O.B...

But still, this is quite amusing. I'll leave it at that.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Hooray.

But honestly, I don't see why anyone is *****ing about this. Truthfully, the infinite air dodge system is what makes the game stupid and breaks combos for free. It'd be like having infinite burst in Guilty Gear. Air dodging should have a risk/reward just like everything else.

Wavedashing is one of the most fun things to ever grace any videogame, and I for one can enjoy Brawl with wavedashing.

Without it...... it's just kinda bleh >.>

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
*facepalm*

I spent so much energy trying to explain to scrubs how competitive players can move on just fine without wavedashing... and then you guys go and do this. Can we just let it die, already? Uggggh...

Still... bravo to those who figured it out. Hacking FTW!

Crow!

Smash Lord
I've revised my opinion of the length and duration of the dodge; it's actually pretty nice as it is.

The recovery animation DEFINITELY needs to go though. Totally imbalances the game since some characters crash hard when they land from a recovery while others land relatively gracefully, and the Zair people just kind of laugh it off.

Anyone know how to contact this PhantomWings guy?

MuBa

Smash Lord
This is ****ing awesome! This'll definitely help Melee people stop bashing Brawl, even though we still require a hack for it.

But now we're going to have a HUGE debate about wavedashing in Brawl in tournaments.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
The recovery animation DEFINITELY needs to go though. Totally imbalances the game since some characters crash hard when they land from a recovery while others land relatively gracefully.
I agree.... I kept wondering why Luigi goes splat (shows my Brawl knowledge I guess:laugh:)

TheBlackLink

Smash Cadet
Oh geez, Wavedashing!? Hackers are amazing. @_@

What's next? Melee`Physics and hitstun?

This is quite the interesting development. Personally I'm just fine w/o this, but I think it'll be interesting to see how this affects the tournament scene.

Sjeele

Smash Apprentice
Well I had a movie, but it wasn't good looking..
So I tried again and I thought; Well let's make a part 1 and part 2..
Part one is all the characters going from Mario to KD3

I have to say, it isn't that good quality because I don't have a Capture Device (it's on the way)..
So i need to do this with my handy cam, I'm sorry that I didn't mentioned it before..
Though, something is better than nothing..

Now editing Part 1!

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'm surprised by the number of people who think this would be tourny standard. An alternate standard is more feasible (and even that is unlikely). And no, WD alone (hack or no hack) would not make Melee faithfuls suddenly like Brawl. Hitstun and L-canceling on the other hand.............

Can't wait for future vids!!

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
It's a shame this will never become the norm.
I love Brawl how it is, but this just makes it better.

I guess it'll be fun to screw around with when I'm with some of my melee buds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom