• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"We just love being mean!" - The Koopalings invade Smash 4

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
They'd be overdoing it because that's waaay too many Mario characters, even as alts. Alts for Bowser Jr. would have to mean Bowser Jr.'s moveset wouldn't involve his paint brush. Each Koopaling + Bowser Jr. would at best have moves similar to Bowser's. The only way to have unique movesets for all of them would be to make them all separate characters, especially since it's known that each Koopaling has different ways to attack, and that'd just be overdoing it.

Also, could you link to the leaks you mentioned? I tried Google, but couldn't find anything.
Mario is the biggest series. What do you expect? He only used his paintbrush 1 time vs the numerous times he used the clown car. This would be a way to push the Koopalings. Something Nintendo has been doing lately.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Mario is the biggest series. What do you expect? He only used his paintbrush 1 time vs the numerous times he used the clown car. This would be a way to push the Koopalings. Something Nintendo has been doing lately.
Yeah, Nintendo's been pushing them, but they haven't had major roles beyond being bosses in the NSMB games. And the Mario series is big, but it's not as big as Pokemon in terms of prospective fighter candidates. Bowser Jr. used the paint brush in Hoops 3-on-3 and Power Tennis and even though those aren't major games, they can inspire moveset ideas. Also, who said the Clown Car can't be in alongside the paint brush? Bowser Jr. could easily (ideally) use it for his recovery.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Yeah, Nintendo's been pushing them, but they haven't had major roles beyond being bosses in the NSMB games. And the Mario series is big, but it's not as big as Pokemon in terms of prospective fighter candidates. Bowser Jr. used the paint brush in Hoops 3-on-3 and Power Tennis and even though those aren't major games, they can inspire moveset ideas. Also, who said the Clown Car can't be in alongside the paint brush? Bowser Jr. could easily (ideally) use it for his recovery.
Anyone can be made into a fighter. It's not just poke on that has viable players Mario has a crap load of them as well. The koopa clown car is a signature to the bowser family. So it would make sense for Bowser Jr to use it more then the painbrush which is kinda getting obscure now as time passes. Koopalings still appear in main Mario games and heck they even out beat bowser jr recently by being playable in Mario Kart 8 while bowser jr was left out completely.

Not only do Koopalings have deep history but they are also relevant and well known. Something bowser jr lacks.

I'm guessing if it's true and bowser jr uses the clown car instead is because it'll make sense to see him and the Koopalings using that. Would be odd to see the Koopalings use the paintbrush since they never used it before.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Anyone can be made into a fighter. It's not just poke on that has viable players Mario has a crap load of them as well. The koopa clown car is a signature to the bowser family. So it would make sense for Bowser Jr to use it more then the painbrush which is kinda getting obscure now as time passes. Koopalings still appear in main Mario games and heck they even out beat bowser jr recently by being playable in Mario Kart 8 while bowser jr was left out completely
It's funny you mention that anyone can be made into a fighter, as I've recently dreamt of a moveset for the Coily Rattler from Kirby: Triple Deluxe (yes, a snake). However, if that character isn't notable enough, then he or she doesn't deserve a slot. You're asking for way too much with the Koopalings, and it's very highly unlikely that they'll just up and appear as alts for Bowser Jr. I'm pretty sure most fans would rather have regular palette swaps than a bunch of characters with the same moveset, especially when it'd be better if they were all separate characters (which, again, is asking for too much).

Not only do Koopalings have deep history but they are also relevant and well known. Something bowser jr lacks
False, Bowser Jr. is still a lot more popular and relevant to the Mario series than the Koopalings. They were just revived to give the NSMB games an old-school feel (staff got tired of coming up with unique bosses like Petey and Lakithunder, it's so much easier to just put in the Koopalings in every game), and were implemented in MK8 for character variety. I don't think they'll be in another kart racing game after that, though it is possible they'll have appearances in other spin-offs. You can argue that Bowser Jr. is kind of being shunned, but that hardly makes him less relevant than the Koopalings, all of whom never have had iconic roles in any main series game. It's a lot more likely that Bowser Jr. will receive a major role in the future.

I'm guessing if it's true and bowser jr uses the clown car instead is because it'll make sense to see him and the Koopalings using that. Would be odd to see the Koopalings use the paintbrush since they never used it before.
I'm having trouble envisioning the Clown Car being used as anything other than a recovery tool. There really isn't much he can do with it otherwise. And of course it would be odd to see the Koopalings use the paint brush, all the more reason to only have Bowser Jr. in the game without the Koopalings as alts.

Last edited:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
The thought of Wendy Koopa being playable is hilarious to me :grin: And I love it!

SirRob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirRobX
3DS FC
3394-4061-9856
I'm confident about the Koopalings being alts for Bowser Jr.
Which means that we get -all- of the top tier Mario Kart 8 characters! Hooray! (Blegh!)

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I hope when you switch to the alts the character name changes. I don't want to play Iggy and hear "The WINNER is-Bowser Jr.!"

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
I hope when you switch to the alts the character name changes. I don't want to play Iggy and hear "The WINNER is-Bowser Jr.!"
I never thought about that. Yeah, that would really suck. My brain is a little rusty, and I'm too lazy to turn the game on right now...but when you won a match as Sheik in Brawl...did it announce the winner as Sheik, or Zelda? Of course in that case, they really are the same person.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I never thought about that. Yeah, that would really suck. My brain is a little rusty, and I'm too lazy to turn the game on right now...but when you won a match as Sheik in Brawl...did it announce the winner as Sheik, or Zelda? Of course in that case, they really are the same person.
I'm 100% sure they say Sheik and Zelda. The same goes for Samus and Zero Suit Samus.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
HEY GUYS! IT LOOKS LIKE THE KOOPALINGS MAY BE PLAYABLE AFTER ALL!:colorful: (or at least, Larry Koopa!:chuckle:) Take a look at this:
Think about it: why would LARRY need to be seen in a Koopa Clown Car for his collectible trophy? And what's more: It looks like he's using Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car as well! Maybe the "Koopaling Alts." leak was real...:chuckle:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Koopalings as alts could be special cases instead of just different models and textures. I think Sakurai might implement name, physics, and weight changes when changing from Bowser Jr. to any of the Koopalings (Wendy, Lemmy, and Larry would be lightweights slightly heavier than Bowser Jr., Iggy and Ludwig would be middleweights near Mario's weight, and Roy and Morton would be heavyweights slightly heavier than C. Falcon). It'd be infeasible to just make them alts without any other modifications.

I'd also like to apologize to Elite Gaymer for doubting Bowser Jr. using his Clown Car, though I still would have liked for you to have linked to the leak you were talking about (I found it now), and to have actually responded to my counterarguments.

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
HEY GUYS! IT LOOKS LIKE THE KOOPALINGS MAY BE PLAYABLE AFTER ALL!:colorful: (or at least, Larry Koopa!:chuckle:) Take a look at this:
Think about it: why would LARRY need to be seen in a Koopa Clown Car for his collectible trophy? And what's more: It looks like he's using Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car as well! Maybe the "Koopaling Alts." leak was real...:chuckle:
This pretty much confirms the Koopalings are an alt. to me so congratz guys.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Koopalings as alts could be special cases instead of just different models and textures. I think Sakurai might implement name, physics, and weight changes when changing from Bowser Jr. to any of the Koopalings (Wendy, Lemmy, and Larry would be lightweights slightly heavier than Bowser Jr., Iggy and Ludwig would be middleweights near Mario's weight, and Roy and Morton would be heavyweights slightly heavier than C. Falcon). It'd be infeasible to just make them alts without any other modifications.

I'd also like to apologize to @ Wii Twerk Trainer Wii Twerk Trainer for doubting Bowser Jr. using his Clown Car, though I still would have liked for you to have linked to the leak you were talking about (I found it now).
If they give Morton, Iggy and Roy different properties in stats that would defeat the purpose of a character alt. They would have to get their own slot just like Lucina then. Seeing how the leaker said all 7 are character alts and Larry is shown in the same vehicle as bowsejr(only it's blue). That pretty much confirms they all have the same stats and height as Bowser Jr. They most likely had to shrink the bigger Koopalings to make them playable.

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
If they give Morton, Iggy and Roy different properties in stats that would defeat the purpose of a character alt. They would have to get their own slot just like Lucina then. Seeing how the leaker said all 7 are character alts and Larry is shown in the same vehicle as bowsejr(only it's blue). That pretty much confirms they all have the same stats and height as Bowser Jr. They most likely had to shrink the bigger Koopalings to make them playable.
If they did do that, it'd be pretty stupid and uninspired (imagine winning as Ludwig and the narrator still calls him "Bowser Jr.", that'd be really lazy). I actually sincerely hope Bowser Jr. just gets their color schemes if they're not going to go through with the extra work to make them alts with unique properties. The physics of the Koopalings matter by the way if you've ever actually played any of their recent games.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I think I just came up with another reason as to why the Koopa Kids (Koopalings) may be playable. I remember, during the trailer of SSB4 for 3DS at E3 2014, there was a quick stint of the trailer showing off various trophies, and guess what was also shown as a trophy? The MALE Wii Fit Trainer. Now you tell me, why is this in the game if the FEMALE Wii Fit Trainer is the "main focus" of the two? Also, he appears to be performing one of the attacks they share. The Koopalings wouldn't need to share the Koopa Clown Car that JR. IS USING in a trophy unless they were at least playable, right?

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Hey guys, I think I just came up with another reason as to why the Koopa Kids (Koopalings) may be playable. I remember, during the trailer of SSB4 for 3DS at E3 2014, there was a quick stint of the trailer showing off various trophies, and guess what was also shown as a trophy? The MALE Wii Fit Trainer. Now you tell me, why is this in the game if the FEMALE Wii Fit Trainer is the "main focus" of the two? Also, he appears to be performing one of the attacks they share. The Koopalings wouldn't need to share the Koopa Clown Car that JR. IS USING in a trophy unless they were at least playable, right?
The thing is though, "Wii Fit Trainer" is an ambiguous title and can refer to either the male or female trainers, while "Bowser Jr." is an actual name and can't refer to Larry, Iggy, etc. Sakurai could work something out, especially considering the Duck Hunt dog is a playable character (according to the leaks).

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
If they did do that, it'd be pretty stupid and uninspired (imagine winning as Ludwig and the narrator still calls him "Bowser Jr.", that'd be really lazy). I actually sincerely hope Bowser Jr. just gets their color schemes if they're not going to go through with the extra work to make them alts with unique properties. The physics of the Koopalings matter by the way if you've ever actually played any of their recent games.
Why would they call Ludwig "Bowser Jr?" They will most likely call them by their individual name like how Shiek and Pokemon Trainers Pokemon are called by thier own name in Brawl.

Mario Universe and Smash never stay true to size so all Koopalings being bowser jr size isn't odd at all. It would make sense since they are all bowser Jr's minions pretty much. Doubt they would be color swaps since a source said they are all character alts and Larry is shown in the same designed clown car as bowser jr.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Why would they call Ludwig "Bowser Jr?" They will most likely call them by their individual name like how Shiek and Pokemon Trainers Pokemon are called by thier own name in Brawl.

Mario Universe and Smash never stay true to size so all Koopalings being bowser jr size isn't odd at all. It would make sense since they are all bowser Jr's minions pretty much. Doubt they would be color swaps since a source said they are all character alts and Larry is shown in the same designed clown car as bowser jr.
Do you mean "alts" as in a simple alternate palette (i.e., pressing 'X' on the CSS will change Bowser to Larry, etc.)? Or do you mean "alts" as in "alternate forms" (i.e., holding 'L' before a match starts and appearing on the stage as one of the Koopalings)?

If the former, then I'd have to say that that's infeasible given how different each Koopaling is (it's been established in NSMB and Mario Kart that they have different sizes and weights, hell it was established in Super Mario World). And the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon aren't "alts", and Zelda isn't an "alt" of Sheik The Mario universe is consistent with its characters' attributes as is Smash Bros. (i.e., Yoshi's always been heavy in the SSB games). The Koopalings are not Bowser Jr.'s "minions", they're Bowser's elite henchmen. Bowser Jr. simply cooperates with them in the NSMB games. There you go again spouting off about "a source" but not providing any link. And if you did, there's still no proof definite proof beyond the word of the same guy who said Wolf and some other characters would be "DLC", but then walked that statement back and admitted to it being false because he didn't know everything about the game and hadn't unlocked all the characters yet.

If the latter, then I'd have to say that that wouldn't ever happen, since Sakurai confirmed transformations as we know them to be gone.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Again when did I say the Koopalings are transformations? The leaker who leaked the videos and leaked text and pics regarding everything said Koopalings are "character alts". As in instead of having 8 color swaps like everyone else . Bowser Jr gets the 7 Koopalings as character alts instead. He also said Olimar gets Alph as a character alt as well. Reason why Alph and Koopalings don't get the Lucina treatment is probably because they have no stat differences. Only difference is Name and design other then that they most likely fight exactly the same as bowser jr and olimar. Probably dont have any differences like Lucina does from Marth.

Alts as in a pellete where instead of changing colors it becomes a different character but still fights exactly the same and gets no stat differences.

Koopalings are different from one another but Nintendo is pushing them with bowser jr and usually together. Great way to include all 8 together in smash by making them fight the same. The Koopa clown car was most likely chosen with the Koopalings in mind.

Makes sense to make them character alts for bowser jr.

And to stay up to date on the current leak. Just check the leaks and rumors section of smash 4. It has everything.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
We'll those leaked videos and new pics pretty much assure they are playable now. Wendy Koopa master race! :)
If I ever plan on using Bowser Jr. (not a huge fan of him), I'm always going to be Wendy as she's my favorite out of the Koopalings (and if I feel like it Lemmy, Larry & Iggy just for laughs).

So technically we get 9 Mario newcomers, Bowser Jr. and his Koopalings siblings as extra characters, alongside Rosaluma (Dr. Mario doesn't count as a newcomer as he's a returning Melee veteran).

Mario really went overboard with representation this time around, that's if you include the sub series characters, Donkey Kong (and to a lesser extent Diddy & possibly Dixie if she's in), Yoshi, & Wario (was it because they lost a rep in Brawl which is where Pokémon got the most reps?)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I just realized that too! If the recent leak of Larry Koopa in Jr.'s Clown Car is any indication of truth (and to a lesser extent, Dr. Mario's return.) Super Mario probably has the MOST characters of any series in SSB4! Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Bowser, and Rosalina and Luma (Rosaluma:laugh:) being confirmed weren't enough for Sakurai, so we now have strong indications that Dr. Mario and Bowser Jr. are added as playable characters, with Jr.'s added bonus of Larry Koopa, Morton Koopa Jr., Wendy O. Koopa, Iggy Koopa, Lemmy (Lenny?) Koopa, Roy Koopa, and Ludwig Von Koopa as alts. for Jr., Mario is reaaaallllly packing some characters in this time, huh?!:b::b::b::b::b::b::b:

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Well smashkirby and VioletSmashfan, in today's Miiverse post Sakurai confirmed that every character will get 8 palette swaps. Since 7 Koopalings plus Bowser Jr. is equal to 8, that makes them all the more likely. Even without any modifications to their physics, since the Koopalings upon debut were all about the same size. The leaker might as well be Sakurai himself lol.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well smashkirby and VioletSmashfan, in today's Miiverse post Sakurai confirmed that every character will get 8 palette swaps. Since 7 Koopalings plus Bowser Jr. is equal to 8, that makes them all the more likely. Even without any modifications to their physics, since the Koopalings upon debut were all about the same size. The leaker might as well be Sakurai himself lol.
OH MAH GAWWD!!! THE KOOPALINGS ARE CONFIRMED!!!!! You know, I personally wanted to see the Koopalings in Smash ever since post-Melee/pre-Brawl, but I always told myself it could never happen since the kids alone would take up too much space. Now that we have a decent alternative idea, I can't wait! I just hope Sakurai doesn't troll us and say they're not playable. Heck, I personally think today's PotD was secretly made to tease to us that the Koopalings are confirmed. TBH, not only does Mario most likely have (technically) the most playable characters now, (IMO) but also the most "hidden characters" if that indication of Jr. being a secret fighter is any indication.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
At first I didn't care too much about the Koopalings being Jr's alts, but hey, more characters = more fun

Still, they're not officially confirmed. It's a strong possibility but still not real, so let's not get our hopes too high yet just in case ^^''

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Yesterday's pic gave hope for Ridley fans. Today pic gave us hope for Koopalings. Dang sakurai is on a roll this week. Hope he continues these interesting pics! :)

I honestly feel like the Koopalings as alts is pretty much assured. There's a huge lack of villains in smash and I feel like adding the Koopalings as character alts is a great way to add more villains(and female) to the roster.

Last edited:

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
My favorite thing about all of this is that Wendy O. Koopa has somehow managed to scramble her way first into Mario Kart and is now the very first female villain in Super Smash Bros. The most random and obscure favorite of mine that I wouldn't have imagined making it in a million years. That is one scrappy *****.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
My favorite thing about all of this is that Wendy O. Koopa has somehow managed to scramble her way first into Mario Kart and is now the very first female villain in Super Smash Bros. The most random and obscure favorite of mine that I wouldn't have imagined making it in a million years. That is one scrappy *****.
I wanted her playable too but thought she was as likely as The Great Fairy from Zelda lol this Bad Betch is now playable and I'm gonna make her my new main!

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Oh...

You want them as actual characters...

The paintbrush is more iconic to bowser jr.

Most people associate the hover clown with bowser.

Honestly, if koopalings as alts means we don't get a paintbrush moveset, i would rather not have koopaling alts. It's cool though since it makes it feel like there are more than 50 characters so i'm ok with it.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Remember when everyone made fun of the guy who suggested the Koopalings as a character in that interview?

Who's laughing now?
Oh, yeah! I completely forgot about reading that interview! It was from IGN, right? Sakurai asked the interviewer what characters would they like to see, and they said PAC-MAN, and for first-party characters, guess who they wanted? ALL 7 KOOPALINGS. Coincidence?;)

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if koopalings as alts means we don't get a paintbrush moveset, i would rather not have koopaling alts.
As far as I can tell from the leaked footage of Jr., he only uses the paintbrush to hit enemies, and it looks that's it. It does't seem to have special attacks that can only be done with it. Truth is the real gimmick here is the Koopa Car, not the paintbrush, which is consequently replaceable for the Koopaling's magic rods. That is something in favor of the Koopalings too actually.

So apparently even if the Koopalings aren't in, the sole presence of the Koopa Car rules out a paintbrush-based moveset. The only way Jr could get it is fighting on foot imo.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Paintbrush Vs. Clown Coptor arguments again, eh?

We got the best option honestly. Incredibly unique; the paintbrush could of been unique too, but as unique as this? Doubtful.

Koopalings or not, the clown coptor is also far more representative of Jr.'s appearances overall. Sunshine was just one game, Jr. has far more to showcase than that, especially in his recent appearances...

...but then I'm a Koopaling fan, so I would say that now, wouldn't I?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Roy Koppa for the master race! But all jokes aside, I'm glad that Sakurai even though of the idea of them being Junior's alts since we get to play as whatever Koopaling we want in a game that isn't Mario Kart 8. I can't wait to try at least all of them out to see whatever wacky expressions they have when hitting hard or getting hit themselves.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Kind of fitting that the first female villain in Smash is from the Mario series. I was banking on Medusa, but this is kind of more appropriate.

Top Bottom