• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do YOU think wolf mains need to do more?

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
I guess the purpose of this thread is so
1. Newer players can see beyond the obvious moves

2. That more experienced players can have insight into things that they might not have seen before.

You can post anything you want; be it combos, attacks, mindgames etc.

I'll start!

Give reasoning too!

1. Retreating fair out of shield
It has a huge disjointed hitbox and it lets you obviously retreat.
In my opinion it's good for shield pressure and random poking without much of a risk for yourself.

2. Pivot downsmash (out of shield or not, still good)
Good punishing tool, it hits people that would otherwise be behind you. I dunno, I think it's helpful sometimes.

They need to space better.

I think they should go to tourneys... :)

Mixups. Space. Jumpshine. Improve predictions. Play safe. Improve technical skill/speed. Know WHEN to use one move and not another.

Oh study more into your punishment options or just Wolf's options in general so you can know what you can do in each situation instead going blank in area where you think you are in a "dead zone".

Walk instead of Dash unless the opponent is in a disadvantaged position or you read a dodge.

:059:

I just want to make it clear that I was 100% serious btw. SideB is a pretty solid recovery move with a fair amount of mixups for something that travels in a straight line lol, I hope people don't learn how to gimp it but if Falco's fine then we should be too :p Flash cancelling is excellent for running away, and if your opponent messes up (or you just read them that hard) sideB will kill at quite a tasty % or set up for a nice edgeguard or whatever. With mastery of flash cancelling and overall more intelligent use of sideB, we'll be running away more efficiently, swiping a few early kills, and recovering safer. That and the glitch on PS lol, completely useless but it just goes to show how awesome sideB is :awesome:

Also, shine. Shine is awesome, jumpshine is awesome, shine gimping is awesome, just... so many awesome things about that move. JJ is great at using it for gimping and whatnot, Seagull uses it very well in the air to go through edgeguard attempts, I just shine after accidentally jabbing the wrong way lol, idk you get the idea. Such a good move that has more mileage if you're a solid player and can make good reads / avoid getting read pretty well.

People are bad with performing quick FH uairs OoS. Wolves should use it more, but so should other characters... there's no reason for someone to be FHing over you when you have an uair as awesome as ours, basically. That and jumpshine, like, FHing over people only works because of poor reaction times, idk.

Run off bair > jumpshine I believe. I'll get back to you on that :p Can't do any uploading-type stuff until the last weekend of January at best though :< Still need that cable ksjnvjsdfvser

Lightstep helps a ton in Wolf's edge guarding. It also throws people for a loop who just expect you to grab the ledge, then suddenly get a forward air to the face.

Lightstepping is NOT useless. JCav makes pretty good use of it.

1. Wolves need to cancel their illusions. Yeah, its hard, but once you get it down, it increases your recovery game IMMENSELY off the stage. You can travel so much farther because of them.

2. Dtilt more. It's a good poke, has range, and low cooldown. I sometimes get people with it after 1 jab.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Be more like Kain.

Ok seriously, I think spacing is one thing, predictability is another. This is the gist I get from playing against most Wolf mains, most though not all.

tekkie

Smash Master
get other character board interaction with matchups and end the 2-year-long streak of "wolf beats such and such because we can such and such 60-40 dont tell the other boards lololol"

also usmash

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Walk instead of Dash unless the opponent is in a disadvantaged position or you read a dodge.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Oh study more into your punishment options or just Wolf's options in general so you can know what you can do in each situation instead going blank in area where you think you are in a "dead zone".

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I think they should go to tourneys... :)

Mixups. Space. Jumpshine. Improve predictions. Play safe. Improve technical skill/speed. Know WHEN to use one move and not another.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Idk what to do to play fast though. Like, technically I can play pretty fast [in training mode and all] but when I actually fight human opponents I never get to play like that. If I try to play faster I do worse. Guess I have to keep working on it.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I wonder. Is there a Wolf match on youtube that we can all say is a good example of how to play Wolf?

I'm suggesting we find where the bar has been set, then raise it higher.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
<3

Also, in addition to all the obvious things that need to be improved, I still think that sideB is the future of Wolf's metagame.

:awesome:

Tyler_ACE

Smash Cadet
Ishieymoro, i tottally agree. in fact, at moderate damage, his dash, pivot, short-hop, Bair can put an enemy in the perfect place for it. i love it XD

JCav

Smash Lord
Seriously, use illusion like falco does. I mean the move has three sweetspots...

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I just want to make it clear that I was 100% serious btw. SideB is a pretty solid recovery move with a fair amount of mixups for something that travels in a straight line lol, I hope people don't learn how to gimp it but if Falco's fine then we should be too :p Flash cancelling is excellent for running away, and if your opponent messes up (or you just read them that hard) sideB will kill at quite a tasty % or set up for a nice edgeguard or whatever. With mastery of flash cancelling and overall more intelligent use of sideB, we'll be running away more efficiently, swiping a few early kills, and recovering safer. That and the glitch on PS lol, completely useless but it just goes to show how awesome sideB is :awesome:

Also, shine. Shine is awesome, jumpshine is awesome, shine gimping is awesome, just... so many awesome things about that move. JJ is great at using it for gimping and whatnot, Seagull uses it very well in the air to go through edgeguard attempts, I just shine after accidentally jabbing the wrong way lol, idk you get the idea. Such a good move that has more mileage if you're a solid player and can make good reads / avoid getting read pretty well.

castorpollux

Smash Champion

you forgot to mention TWC.

u know how deadly that can be =O

tekkie

Smash Master
wolf's illusion is bad in the same way that falco's is bad in that just about anything can hit out of it except the sweetspot

falco's illusion is really quick; wolf's isn't.

wolf does have a neat sweetspot and its crazy angled and all but that isn't that great

D

Deleted member

I still need to learn the backwards momentum reverse blaster. :/

D

Deleted member

Wait, so you don't do a reversed-blaster to do that?

What you're saying I think is an aerial b-reversed blaster.

Edit: Listening to the Ikana Valley music from Majora's Mask. Creeeeepy...

God, I loved that game. Double Edit: Whoops. This isn't the Social. Oh well.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Wait, so you don't do a reversed-blaster to do that?

What you're saying I think is an aerial b-reversed blaster.

Edit: Listening to the Ikana Valley music from Majora's Mask. Creeeeepy...

God, I loved that game.
I don't know what their names are because they're both similar. Reversing the blaster.

When you tap or nudge the control stick in one direction and press B, you instantly turn around.

The other version is when Wolf already has his blaster out. In the first frames (not sure how many, you tap the opposite direction and Wolf turns around really quickly, shifting his momentum as well.

I'm not sure what the names of both are, because both involve reverses. That's why I ask.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
One shifts your momentum directly in the other direction. The other just turns you around with no momentum shift

There done the same. One requires you to hit the other direction slightly, while the other requires you to hit the other direction hard to get the momentum

Edit: Pretty sure there both called Reverse Blaster, one is jus more associated with SHing cause that's when it's mostly done

Edit 2: More talk of TWC please pretty sure that is gonna be very game breaking for Wolf!!!

Choice

Smash Champion
yea pretty much theres so many names flying around for b-moves that turn you around. we should all just call it wave bounce though.

wave is almost like wolf since it starts with w, so we cant go wrong with calling it that.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
barracuda drifter decrees that every wofl technique discovered from now on must have wave, tricky, or bombing in the name

JCav

Smash Lord
wolf's illusion is bad in the same way that falco's is bad in that just about anything can hit out of it except the sweetspot

falco's illusion is really quick; wolf's isn't.

wolf does have a neat sweetspot and its crazy angled and all but that isn't that great
I disagree, I think illusion is a vastly under-developed move. I haven't seen anyone play in a match where I can say they truly mastered the move. Maybe because it just isn't that good? Maybe you are right. I dunno but I feel like there is more we can do with it. I think if one were to be smart enough with it you could time someone out

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
For one, Falco's is usually in the position to get hit, Wolf's isn't. I mean, we use it to recover, yes, but the long cancel is usually meant for running away and chasing, neither of which are really that prone to being attacked.

As for lightstepping, that should only be used for an offstage game. I have a match on youtube with a perfect example.

Point being, Falco's is more susceptible, or as I have seen. Wolf's uses of the illusion won't be the same.

Top Bottom