• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Yoshi low tier?

D

Deleted member

Ok maybe not a day =) I meant for brawl, and by pretty good i meant, possibly better than a player who has played him for a while but isnt very good at the game. So yea my statement was false =P

Correct statement: Characters in brawl arent too hard to pick up, and if given a decent amount of time, a good player could become at least decent with the character. In general, characters in brawl arent that hard to PICK UP(tournament level is another story).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yoshi is probably lower mid tier. Approximately as good as characters like Samus, Mario, and Sonic (who all excel in certain matchups compared to one another).

Anyhow he has a pretty poor shieldgrab, no jump out of shield meaning he sucks on platforms and doesn't have shield -> aerial or U-smash, and hit him after his midairjump, he sucks.

SYLAR

Smash Rookie
Yoshi definately has KO moves. His U-air is **** near broken, he's got great combos, recovery, and ranged, he can chaingrab like a madman, and the Flutter Kick *****. I don't really believe in the 'tiers', but I do think that Yoshi deserves higher than he is.

bobson

Smash Lord
Yoshi is probably lower mid tier. Approximately as good as characters like Samus, Mario, and Sonic (who all excel in certain matchups compared to one another).
If you go by the SBR tier list, that would mean he's right where he should be.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Some good points being made. I don't think popularity (or the lack of it in this case) is the entire reason for Yoshi's under-appreciation but it does play a factor. It just occurred to me that none of the cast from SSB 64 is considered any higher than mid-tier. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Maybe it's a completely crazy theory, but I think that a lot of players are simply tired of playing with the same old characters. The top tier is at least half characters new to Brawl!

Would anyone else agree that Yoshi is simply underplayed and underdeveloped?
dude, pika got so much better from melee to brawl. hes high tier still.
and kirby...
compared to melee (worst character in the game...) he went into god mode for brawl. he is also high tier.
i noticed that same thing, and have come to a similar conclusion. the new characters have been created with current metagame in mind, the old characters cant really change all to much without losing their identity.

and im not meaning to say that Yoshi's tourney standings are the only reason as to his tier list placement, but its the largest contributer of all things in mind IMO.
Lol you guys are all so silly. Why talk about a character you dont know very much about. Its like me talking about lucas, i have played some good lucases, but really i dont know as much as lucas mains know about their character, so i dont try and say im more knowledgable than them.
i agree; it's not the characters with the "glaring weaknesses" but the players themselves.....
Any good player can pick up yoshi in a day and be pretty good with him. Yoshis matchups arent so great
yoshi is def not low tier guys!!!! he can actually combo and when played in the hands of a skilled player, yoshi usually never loses!
his shield ****ing sucks. that's it, if it weren't for that, he would easily be high tier.

Yoshi definately has KO moves. His U-air is **** near broken, he's got great combos, recovery, and ranged, he can chaingrab like a madman, and the Flutter Kick *****. I don't really believe in the 'tiers', but I do think that Yoshi deserves higher than he is.
like i said earlier, if in the hands of a REALLY skilled player, yoshi is as dangerous as ganondorf

Anyhow he has a pretty poor shieldgrab, no jump out of shield meaning he sucks on platforms and doesn't have shield -> aerial or U-smash, and hit him after his midairjump, he sucks.
If you go by the SBR tier list, that would mean he's right where he should be.
roflmao yoshi boards are funny...

lol whats up with brawllovers join date to post count ratio, that junk is off the charts!

D

Deleted member

LOL@BRAWLLOVER

I would hope yoshi is better than ganondorf XD

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wow, this is terrible.

Why are all these people who know nothing about Yoshi and nothing about this game posting?

LOL!

Gindler, my good man!

The popcorn! Pass it over here, please! ^_^

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Why are all these people who know nothing about Yoshi and nothing about this game posting?
i know right?!?
people like VV this VV just need to shut the hell up

:yoshi: Wow, this is terrible.

LOL!

Gindler, my good man!

The popcorn! Pass it over here, please! ^_^
:laugh::colorful::laugh::colorful::laugh:

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Well shiri it is a thread that has "Yoshi" and "low tier" in the title. The first thing that will come to your head is the usual ignorant smashers who ignore the Yoshi mains when you see that. We apparently main someone with a sucky recovery and that bad OOS options automatically make that character the worst in the game. XD

This thread is falling apart.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
His shield ****ing rocks!!! The fact that he can't do anything OOS is what sucks
are you kidding? his shield animation lasts 2 times longer than normal, making any move, especially projectiles very hard to shield. And if that isn't enough, his getting out of shield animation is also slow....that's why you always see yoshi players spot dodging after shielding...

bigman40

Smash Master
are you kidding? his shield animation lasts 2 times longer than normal, making any move, especially projectiles very hard to shield. And if that isn't enough, his getting out of shield animation is also slow....that's why you always see yoshi players spot dodging after shielding...
his shield is fine. It's just the options you have out of the shield that sucks. And the spotdodging thing is people making a habit of Dsmashing every time after letting go of the shield.

JOE!

Smash Hero
when yoshi stops dodngin left or right, he's still in his sheild

anyone else able to dodge-shield instantly like that?

Mmac

Smash Lord
This is nothing more than a guessing game now. All you guys are doing now is just shouting random facts on what you believe the reasons the SBR put him so low, no matter how incorrect or idiotic they are, while at the same time giving no proof, or even fact whatsoever

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yoshi is low tier because the current tier list has no bottom tier

/troll

He's propably low mid but idk what to think of him. He's weird.

.Marik

is a social misfit
People just assume that Yoshi sucks, without actually knowing the amount of dedication and effort us Yoshi mainers put into him.

See all those threads? All those techniques?

Thank Mmac and Bwett and all them.

They could probably **** most of your a**es in Brawl.

Word.

Love you guys too. <3

.Marik

is a social misfit
People just assume that Yoshi sucks, without actually knowing the amount of dedication and effort us Yoshi mainers put into him.

Thank Mmac and Bwett and all of them.

Word.

Love you guys too. <3

Every character had advantages, and disadvantages.

And when you think about it, MetaKnight isn't top because of skill, but because of his spammy/broken moves...

JOE!

Smash Hero
And when you think about it, MetaKnight isn't top because of skill, but because of his spammy/broken moves...
when you think about it, if his attacks were toned down some, he'd be perfectly balanced

at the moment hes like bringing a gun to a knife fight in my opinion (not that i dont mind fighting MKs)

Chaco

Never Logs In

Thank Mmac and Bwett and all of them. More importantly Chaco. :p

Word.

Love you guys too. <3

Every character had advantages, and disadvantages.

JK But yeah those guys are good.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
dude, pika got so much better from melee to brawl. hes high tier still.
and kirby...
compared to melee (worst character in the game...) he went into god mode for brawl. he is also high tier.
Thanks, I forgot about them at the time. (Thus, the "correct me if I'm wrong" clause)

Yoshi is low tier because he hasn't done well in tournaments. It's a flawed system but it's all we have.

It's possible to make any character sound like a world-beater or a complete failure. Only God knows how the characters actually rank.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, technically, if anyone gets "good enough" with any character, they can win tournies. What differs is how good "good enough" is for each character.

I dunno, I'm told I have a good Yoshi, but he's definitely no where near good enough, so if I were to tourny, I'd probably use Kirby, Mario, or hell even maybe Ganon over him, and see, I don't think I'm the only one thinking that way (maybe not the exact characters, but I mean liking him but not being nearly as good with him as others, as his ATs seem to require a lot more skill than a lot of other characters', and a lot of us can't get them down), thus the low tourny wins. Anyway, that's just my guess.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
his projectile is ok... it just takes like 2 seconds to go back to "on guard" position,

his down smash comes out fast, but thats the only one.. all his smashes lag in the beginning or the end.

his nair is good, but only on the release... than you have to get close and get attacked.

his upair is nice...

and his specials are dumb and weak...

thats why hes low tier, and thats why i main him.
i am god at this game, so i dont need to compensate for any lack of skill by picking a a-grade character

D

Deleted member

his projectile is ok... it just takes like 2 seconds to go back to "on guard" position,

his down smash comes out fast, but thats the only one.. all his smashes lag in the beginning or the end.

his nair is good, but only on the release... than you have to get close and get attacked.

his upair is nice...

and his specials are dumb and weak...

thats why hes low tier, and thats why i main him.
i am god at this game, so i dont need to compensate for any lack of skill by picking a a-grade character
Im sure you are god at this game, thus your multiple high level tournament wins. I dislike people who use low tiers because they want to "prove something", or think that using a high tier means you are lacking something.

And hes not low tier,

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yoshi comes close to MK. How can anyone not see that! Coupled with multiple CG, infinite on 2 characters, grab release sheninagens, Yoshi tech's, buffed recovery, good matchups, heavy...

I could go on. Yoshi doesn't seem low tier, far from it. He's close to his N64 incarnation!

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
Im sure you are god at this game, thus your multiple high level tournament wins. I dislike people who use low tiers because they want to "prove something", or think that using a high tier means you are lacking something.

And hes not low tier,
thanks for acknowledging my skill ;-) dont be jealous!

off track, anyone see that matchup list??? yoshi totally gets screwed against a samus that zairs skillfully ;-) how can yoshi have an advantage against samus?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Because Yoshi completely outclasses her in every other way? Her z-air is the only thing going for her in that match-up. She has no advantageous positions whatsoever when facing Yoshi.

...And why did you bring up Samus, anyways?

D

Deleted member

Though that isnt entirely true, yoshi does have a slight advantage imo.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Looking at the matchup thread, averaging the #s listed for the matchups, overall Yoshi has like a 50.03% chance to win any given match just based on his moves alone, not even considering the player

that say anything significant? <.<

Top Bottom