• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Main or use Zelda ?

darkatma

Smash Hero
it's true zelda really can't compete against marths.. seriously.
Not that you can't win. It's just, against a competent marth good at spacing, zelda can't really get 'into the fray' as much as against other chars. (that tyrael vs Ek match didn't count)

besides, zelda is just about the funnest character to play. I'd go pure zelda for whole smashfests if i were just a bit better =]
People LIKE seeing low tiers win. Even with me and my teammate's double pichu team vs marth and pika. We won by 2 stocks, and people were exclaiming at the victory of low over high tier.

Nothing to it really. If you start losing with zelda, use sheik. No biggie.
(my zelda still has problems with very good pikas like zfreak's :p)

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
To you maybe, but not to others. Some might say Peach is boring, or Marth, etc. We all have our own taste in character. So your statment is an opinion, not a fact.

Wrath`

Smash Master
To you maybe, but not to others. Some might say Peach is boring, or Marth, etc. We all have our own taste in character. So your statment is an opinion, not a fact.
No one is actualy boring.Everone has there own quirks.Zelda justs needs a good finisning move to make here better.

Kyoushu

Smash Rookie
My friend...He plays as Zelda...*shudder*

He walks like a level 1, but strikes like Bombsoldier...

Zelda is a powerful character. Two UThrows and you're done for.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
No one is actualy boring.Everone has there own quirks.Zelda justs needs a good finisning move to make here better.

You my friend, quit talking plz, her finishing move(s) are what makes her great, the bair,fair are possibly the two best bair and fair's that any one character has. Wow, and umbreon, thats weak dude, when the best zelda in america is admitting defeat before it even plays a fox or marth, thats kinda dissapointing for up and comers like my self. You may be one of those realist who tries to keep it real and know their limits, but I try to think big and believe that I can win when im at a great disadvantage. Have you fox/falco/marth/shiek whores ever thought, that might be the exact reason why people like me play zelda. We enjoy the challenge and knowing we are coming in expected to lose. Zelda can **** aggressive fox's just by being patient and fair/bair out of the shield of course that wont work against everyone but nothing works against everyone. To those of you who come in here just to bash zelda and tell us shes slow, and light and has disadvantages against certain characters--save it, when know that, i know an upsmash kills from fox at ridiculously low percentage, and marths fair makes it impossible to get anywhere in his range, but stop trying to bash and hate on her because its not making anything better, no ones going to quit playing zelda because shes hard unless they are nOObs ok...zeldas good, shes just not easy...conversation over.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Basically lets just stay to topic. And all you Zelda haters who come just to say Zelda suks, Just go somewhere else. Its not good always hearing the same crap about the same character. If she suks..whatever we don't care. We like to use her and thats the point. Back to topic people.
What about the people that think she sux but still like to use her?

Pose

Smash Apprentice
hey i use zelda .. she is fun to play with and also during a match i usually use zelda and then change into shiek periodically because its part of who the zelda/shiek character is ...two people in one so thats who i use..two people..thats why my secondary is zelda =]

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
i play zelda when she might provide an advantage which shiek might not.

a good example is much longer ranged aerials, much floatier and harder to combo, aswell as an insane recovery, make up for very interesting matchups vs marth on certain counterpick stages like rainbow road or pokefloats.

it also makes stalling VERY easy against non ranged character.

other notes are that her smashes have much more knockback and killing power, aswell as much more priority, and that her throws are one of the few which are suited for killing <especially low% throw games>

and her fsmash reaches below the stage <or at least it seems it does>
, and has an insane knockback and last time.

you can stand *really* far back and still hit people getting onto the stage <like a marth> without fear of them hitting you.

-----

but most of the time, its for recoveries, and mixing the game up, aswell as stalling.
often ill stay her for a bit when i respawn when i fail a recovery, and maybe use her to edgeguard for a bit when the opponent is on higher %'s. other than that ill go back shiek.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Personally? I main Peach, but Zelda is my secondary, period. I realize she's at a huge disadvantage, but I play the game for fun. Fun, I tells ya, fun!

I don't use Sheik because she doesn't fit my style. That, and I feel bland while playing her. I play Peach because she fits my style perfectly AND is my favorite Nintendo character(possibly character overall). I play Zelda because I have fun with her and it's always fun to kick people around a bit. ^_^

I don't use Zelda, though, in tournaments because of two reasons. One, I'm still learning how to beat people with Peach, and need my experience with her first. Thus, in tournament play, you'll only see Zelda if a) I'm going to lose anyway or b) I think I can get away with using her. My other reason is that I just don't have the experience necessary to even considering using her just yet. Smashfests, I'll use her almost as much as Peach. Tournaments, I let Zelda cheer for Peach from the sidelines. Simple as that.

And, seriously, the Zelda bashing is getting outta hand. Can we just stick to what this topic is about, and actually discuss things? Thanks.

alcheato

Smash Ace
I play Zelda because such few people expect it in tournament and even fewer have practice against a good Zelda. Also Zelda chain-throw fast fallers, and even when I do bust out Sheik, I usually switch back to Zelda for the killer finishers. I mean Zelda isn't as bad as people say: She has pretty fast-- very high priority fair/bair, strong f-throw & b-throw, d-smash is great for edge-guarding, and u-throw to pretty anything works great as finishing move. Just being cheap and spamming f-air/b-air for an entire match can get you some wins. Besides, Sheik has been way overplayed in tournament. Sheik = old and busted; Zelda = new hotness.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You my friend, quit talking plz, her finishing move(s) are what makes her great, the bair,fair are possibly the two best bair and fair's that any one character has. Wow, and umbreon, thats weak dude, when the best zelda in america is admitting defeat before it even plays a fox or marth, thats kinda dissapointing for up and comers like my self. You may be one of those realist who tries to keep it real and know their limits, but I try to think big and believe that I can win when im at a great disadvantage. Have you fox/falco/marth/shiek whores ever thought, that might be the exact reason why people like me play zelda. We enjoy the challenge and knowing we are coming in expected to lose. Zelda can **** aggressive fox's just by being patient and fair/bair out of the shield of course that wont work against everyone but nothing works against everyone. To those of you who come in here just to bash zelda and tell us shes slow, and light and has disadvantages against certain characters--save it, when know that, i know an upsmash kills from fox at ridiculously low percentage, and marths fair makes it impossible to get anywhere in his range, but stop trying to bash and hate on her because its not making anything better, no ones going to quit playing zelda because shes hard unless they are nOObs ok...zeldas good, shes just not easy...conversation over.
You so get repped for this post, and its true about what you said here. Every word of it all.

Personally? I main Peach, but Zelda is my secondary, period. I realize she's at a huge disadvantage, but I play the game for fun. Fun, I tells ya, fun!

I don't use Sheik because she doesn't fit my style. That, and I feel bland while playing her. I play Peach because she fits my style perfectly AND is my favorite Nintendo character(possibly character overall). I play Zelda because I have fun with her and it's always fun to kick people around a bit. ^_^

I don't use Zelda, though, in tournaments because of two reasons. One, I'm still learning how to beat people with Peach, and need my experience with her first. Thus, in tournament play, you'll only see Zelda if a) I'm going to lose anyway or b) I think I can get away with using her. My other reason is that I just don't have the experience necessary to even considering using her just yet. Smashfests, I'll use her almost as much as Peach. Tournaments, I let Zelda cheer for Peach from the sidelines. Simple as that.

And, seriously, the Zelda bashing is getting outta hand. Can we just stick to what this topic is about, and actually discuss things? Thanks.
I feel the same way buddy. Im just like that

Wrath`

Smash Master
It's kind of wierd that zelda has no nutral ground.Throught this string people say she ether rocks or sucks.I was just in a tourny and all the zelda users did suck.They only did good with shiek.

The_CheapNess

Smash Apprentice
You main or use Zelda bacause..You like her. What kind of question ios that. Use whoever you think is the funnest. Unless you really want to win at high tournaments you can take a second, but you can still main zelda, and in fact, I know a few pople whopam re really good with zelda. WoZ for instance.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You main or use Zelda bacause..You like her. What kind of question ios that. Use whoever you think is the funnest. Unless you really want to win at high tournaments you can take a second, but you can still main zelda, and in fact, I know a few pople whopam re really good with zelda. WoZ for instance.
There is more to it that that, Why I play Peach? cause she is fun yes. ALSO she make me laugh when she fight.And in all fighting games I play with only females. there is more than just bein a fun character. Of course she is gonna be fun, or you would not choose that person. There their might be more, like your a Zelda fan, or you thing her moves are cool. Thats why I asked this question to see.

darkatma

Smash Hero
So uuh yea lets move on to Zelda tactics :p

aside from kicks, i personally prefer the jab-kick
and i know ryoko does a lot of dtilt-fsmash

How come all the good zeldas dont have vids for me to peruse.
I can't really study my own zelda =] wait.. i can! :O

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Depending on the opponent's DI, I sometimes can pull off an nair to kick if they're standing on the tip of a platform. And I loooove facing fast fallers I can keep up with, because that means it's a lot easier to get combos off on them.

Pose

Smash Apprentice
oo =] i love dtilting to fsmash to nair thenn to a kick

TomH

Smash Journeyman
if you play zelda because you dont like that zelda gets badmouthed so much, play as roy. Marth players badmouth roy 1000 times more than sheik players badmouth zelda...

and i dont know how people get emotionally attached to the characters like this. Its like "zomg you are badmouthing zelda? i better practice with zelda to show you how good zelda is" It is clear that sheik is a better character than zelda, and i can understand not wanting to play someone who is so popular just because it gives you much less chance to do something original or creative with the character. But a creative zelda still stands next to no chance against a decently technical fox. they will just get shinelocked into never getting an attack out, creative or otherwise. im not saying its impossible, but it is certainly unlikely that a zelda player could win.

ROB_[MCC}

Smash Apprentice
A Zelda player could beat a Fox in a game... but I give her about a 1 in 25 shot at taking a Fox in a three game tournament set. It would take mistakes on the Fox's part, and outstanding play on her's.

Zelda isn't your typical low tier character though. If you are proficent with both Zelda and Sheik, you can metagame very well. Let's face it, most players aren't too familiar with battling Zelda... I suppose transforming from Sheik to Zelda could turn a game in your favor for a couple of reasons. One, your opponent will have to adapt very quickly, and two, your opponent may underestimate you.

The opposite works, too. If a know Zelda player transforms into Sheik, his opponent may not be ready for the ridiculous speed increase. Also, someone could counter pick your Sheik, thinking you will obviously use the top tier character... then you could stay as Zelda to throw off their plans.

Jash

Smash Lord
I love Zelda because if you play fast with her, it scares the crap out of your opponent. I think Mind Games with Zelda is the best Mind game in SSBM because come on, its Zelda, No one really knows what Zelda is going to do and when shes going to do it because shes not common. Which makes her the best character in this game =).

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
heh, bold statement, but i agree her mindgames are rough, bair,fair out of the shield is rough, and playing agressive also can fluster fast faller players sometimes, i will have a vid up here soon of me and a good fox, showing ya what im talking about

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
overall zelda isnt a good character at all, slowest person in the game. main as zelda, why do people main as her, maybe because shes a fun character to use and shes hard to use, **** sheik, low tier is the way to go. i wouldn't recommending maining as zelda just wasting your time and you prolly will never win a tourney unless u r playing noobs or something. no one has guts to play zelda in a tourney. Friendlies shes kool or teams i guess.

cablepuff

Smash Ace
i am just curious on what zelda players "Objective" (be as objective as possible) matchups were zelda would be clearly better than sheik.

I have heard game and watch, roy, ice climber

soap

Smash Hero
i am sheik main but zelda is probably like my third, or fourth best character, she does alright against ganon and luigi, i feel. sometimes my sheik is not working and ive thought of switching to zelda but never actually did it in tourney, ive used zelda for like a minute after i used her to recover in a team battle then actually broke a sheiks shield, they were lightshielding i double baired to rising bair and broke their **** it was pretty funny. Zelda is kinda boring to play though for a whole match, but i like playing her for that odd minute when i need her. i waveland alot with my zelda something i havent seen any zeldas do, like ill bair waveland to link combos or bair waveland back to fsmash instead of just throwing out another bair which everyone expects you to, or bair waveland through their shield and grab them, stuff like that keeps zelda kinda interestin for me

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Well then.....Just to Prove some points in this thread(and I wont state what they are) my next vid, im gonna play with Zelda in my next tourny and recored the matches

conductor

Smash Rookie
Now, on a related example, I once had a M:TG deck. I thought the deck up, myself..
Your deck probably wasn't very good. I mostly use Zelda because she is amazing and stuff. I play as Falco and shiek and what have you as well, but I just like the way Zelda moves and spamming kicks has always been a blast. Yah, she's pretty much amazing.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
I actually get people who call me cheap for using zelda like all the time o.O! for spamming lightning kicks

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Zelda is a great character. She may be slow, floaty and easy to waveshine to death, but I still think she's cool. Zelda just requires more attention to detail than some of the other characters. Using her takes strategy and planning ahead at times and I love the challenge of that. And Zelda kills with style! Gotta luv that kick!

Top Bottom