• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why wouldn't this rule set work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Okay, here is an example:

George and Fred play each other in a tournament match.
George picks Harry Potter and Fred picks Voldemort.
Fred Slaughters George.
Fred stays as Voldemort.
George decides to go with Dumbledore, his secondary, who has a good MU against Voldemort.
Fred bans Hogwarts, since he lacks a decent projectile and sucks there.
Dumbledort than selects Platform nine and three quarters, because he has a chaingrab that works on Voldemort there for up to 90%. Also, the layout of the stage aside form the two walls were Dumbledort can CG is very similar to Hogwarts as it favors camping and is long and has no platforms. In the standard ruleset, Fred could switch out his character, so he could have more of an advantage. That's were your rulesets differ. In yours, Fred is stuck on his second worst stage where Dumbledore, George's character, has a great advantage on him there. In the current ruleset, Fred can now pick Grindelwald, who has a heavy matchup advantage on Dumbledore under normal circumstances. George know switches to ALberforth, his other secondary, who lacks Dumbledore's CG but has a good matchup against Gellert ( Grindelwald. )Fred stays the same as he is confident he could beat George even now.

Please replace all Harry Potter terms with Brawl terms on your own.
This is way too confusing

Laem

Smash Champion
its funny cuz adhd's salty yet right

and i wonder how long that too confusing argument will hold :p

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
it would have been a lot easier if he would have posted up smash pros and characters. then again some people just like making your life a living hell

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Because neutrals are intensive counterpicks for certain characters and instead we should add stages to make aerial based characters have an even better advantage when they were initially already a nuisance! Then we can claim that the characters were not better off suited for competitive play in the first place, yay.

DUH

(sarcasm but realistically the truth)

**** smashboards.
Because Ground based characters are a million times gayaer than aerial characters

Diddy, ICs, and Olimar for example are probably hated by 84% of smashboards

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
This is way too confusing

Since this is too confusing for you I'll do it. (With my twist)
teehee!

Ultimate Razer and Illmatic. play each other in a tournament match.

Illmatic picks Peach and Ultimate Razer picks Snake.

Ultimate Razer slaughters Illmatic.

Ultimate Razer stays Snake.

Illmatic decides to go Dee Dee Dee since he has a decent matchup against Snake.
Ultimate Razer bans Green Greens, since he lacks a decent projectile and sucks there.

Illmatic than selects Pokemon Stadium One, because he has a chaingrab that works on Snake there for up to 90%. Also, the layout of the stage aside form the two walls were DeDeDe can CG is very similar to Green Greens as it favors camping and is long and has no platforms. In the standard ruleset, Ultimate Razer could switch out his character, so he could have more of an advantage.

That's were your rulesets differ. In yours, Snake is stuck on his second worst stage where DeDeDe, Illmatic's character, has a great advantage on him there. In the current ruleset, Ultimate Razer can now pick Metaknight (da bess), who has a heavy matchup advantage on DeDeDe under normal circumstances.

Illmatic now switches to Diddy Kong, his other secondary, who lacks DeDeDe's CG but has a good matchup against Metaknight (da bess). Ultimate Razer stays the same as he is confident he could beat Illmatic even now.

(edited for grammatical errors)

DONE LIKE BAKED BEANS.

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
George now switches to Diddy Kong, his other secondary, who lacks Dumbledore's CG but has a good matchup against Metaknight (da bess) Ultimate Razer stays the same as he is confident he could beat Illmatic even now.
There are plenty more mistakes, but this one made me lol hardest.

z00ted

See what happens?
The first thing that comes to everyones mind is three characters.

Snake, Metaknight, DeDeDe, and Diddykong.

Snake gets slaughtered if he decides to stay.

There are plenty more mistakes, but this one made me lol hardest.

WOOPS MISSED ST00F!

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
so who is using MK here? also have you ever been to a tournament? those are the only characters you ever see make it to the top regardless of what rule set you choose

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
so who is using MK here? also have you ever been to a tournament? those are the only characters you ever see make it to the top regardless of what rule set you choose
I can't believe you haven't read Harry Potter.

z00ted

Hahahahahaha.
Your forgetting... Marth, IC's, and Falco.

All of whom (Illmatic) can switch to if he is scared of Metaknight.

Check this out, its at the top of tactical discussion page.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266820

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Hahahahahaha.
Your forgetting... Marth and plenty of others buddy.

All of whom (Illmatic) can switch to if he is scared of Metaknight.
Or if he's afraid of Grindelwald.

...Seriously. I can't believe that Saveme hasn't ever read Harry Potter. That's almost as bad as never watching RED vs blue

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
which is exactly what I didn't want to happen. So this is what I am getting from your example: you are going to go PS1 no mater what the rule set is. with my rule set, If razor sticks to snake he will get CP by DDD but with the old rule set he gets to switch to MK and then that means that you can still switch to didy kong so you can have a fair match. the way I see it, If he Just switches to MK with my rule set he wouldn't be in that mess.

z00ted

which is exactly what I didn't want to happen. So this is what I am getting from your example: you are going to go PS1 no mater what the rule set is. with my rule set, If razor sticks to snake he will get CP by DDD but with the old rule set he gets to switch to MK and then that means that you can still switch to didy kong so you can have a fair match. the way I see it, If he Just switches to MK with my rule set he wouldn't be in that mess.
Check what you wrote on the first page then check what you just wrote in this quote please.

z00ted

K, I'm done with this.
Its a good idea bro, but our current one is better.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
what? you guys did not prove anything. I haven't seen a single post that would even begin to change my mind about the effectiveness of this rule set.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
what? you guys did not prove anything. I haven't seen a single post that would even begin to change my mind about the effectiveness of this rule set.
If you'd have read harry potter than my post would make perfect sense.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I can't believe you haven't read Harry Potter.
Eh, it's incredibly overrated. But I agree, he should have read it.

No one cares about changing your mind.
QFT.

Now then, I'm going to attempt to pick apart your argument without touching it. I'm just that good.

You have less than 400 posts, and you come here and start telling people (effectively) "Guess what guys, I have created a better Ruleset than the veterans and pros who know almost everything about the game and work together consistently on the subject. Oh, I'm not going to explain why mine is better btw, YOU have to say why I am wrong, cause debating totally works like that". Now, EVERY person who posted in this thread disagreed with you, most of them had a higher post count and are generally better known than you.

This is why no one is taking you seriously, and why your suggestion is wrong.
We have already said why the current Ruleset is better if you didn't understand that is your own fault.

Have a nice day.

*Who else bets he will reply with "Give me an example/explain better >_>"

z00ted

QFT.

Now then, I'm going to attempt to pick apart your argument without touching it. I'm just that good.

You have less than 400 posts, and you come here and start telling people (effectively) "Guess what guys, I have created a better Ruleset than the veterans and pros who know almost everything about the game and work together consistently on the subject. Oh, I'm not going to explain why mine is better btw, YOU have to say why I am wrong, cause debating totally works like that". Now, EVERY person who posted in this thread disagreed with you, most of them had a higher post count and are generally better known than you.

We have already said why the current Ruleset is better if you didn't understand that is your own fault.

Have a nice day.

I've already said this except his arguing methods but whatever.

Lock this already.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace

QFT.

Have a nice day.

In response to the last thing:

I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO!!!!

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
what does having a smaller post count have to do with anything? just because I recently got my account doesn't mean that I haven't been in the smash scene longer that most of the people that are here. The first day that I got my account, I posted something up and someone who thinks like you, told me that I was wrong. That same day, I proved that he was wrong and I posted up a bunch of information that was previously unknown.

z00ted

what does having a smaller post count have to do with anything? just because I recently got my account doesn't mean that I haven't been in the smash scene longer that most of the people that are here. The first day that I got my account, I posted something up and someone who thinks like you, told me that I was wrong. That same day, I proved that he was wrong and I posted up a bunch of information that was previously unknown.
I agree, post count doesn't go hand in hand with knowledge of the game.
But that still doesn't prove that this thread doesn't work and needs to be locked.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I agree, post count doesn't go hand in hand with knowledge of the game.
But that still doesn't prove that this thread doesn't work and needs to be locked.
People like you are the reason why the brawl rule set doesn't work. People like you, who cut corners to save some time or try to lock other people's threads because you don't fully understand them.

sunshade

Smash Ace
SaveMe you are trying to suggest a change to the current system. Before you make a suggestion you need to first identify a flaw with the current system. Once you identify that flaw you may then suggest your system but while suggesting it you must provide reasons to why it solves the issue and why its better then other possible solutions.

Until you do this I will no longer be posting in this thread and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

z00ted

People like you are the reason why the brawl rule set doesn't work. People like you, who cut corners to save some time or try to lock other people's threads because you don't fully understand them.
Lol, hey hey lets not start accusations. After all I also just "joined" this site.
I'm actually for this ruleset, it works for my character (Peach) considering my worst matchup is Metaknight if I knew he was going to ban/pick as a stage I (guess?) it would help me?

Anyways, this is stupid for Brawl as a whole, I'm not posting here anymore

Flayl

Smash Hero
God****it, this thread lowered my faith in humanity. Not the OP, but just about everyone else. This thread is at 5 pages and there's like two good posts in the whole thing. If you're not going to say anything useful don't ****ing post.

Now, to analyze matchup procedure:

Current ruleset:
- Player A plays Donkey Kong and beats Player B who played Marth
- Player A bans Halberd
- Player B picks Final Destination

Now, this is the point where the Donkey Kong player wonders if Player B is picking FD because he's comfortable there or if he's trying to get a free win with Dedede. So this could possibly go two ways:

Outcome I:
- Player A picks a secondary that's good against Dedede but not so much against Marth (Marth isn't a disadvantaged matchup so he doesn't need to cover it with a secondary)
- Player B stays with Marth

Outcome II:
- Player A stays with Donkey Kong
- Player B picks Dedede

Conclusion: It can be argued that the advantage the Marth player gains in Outcome I is fair for a counterpick, but it requires the Donkey Kong player to know ahead of time the opponent has a pocket Dedede. It's up to the Donkey Kong player to pick up a secondary that's comfortable on Final Destination, Castle Siege and whatever other stages that are good for Dedede. Choices that come to mind are Falco, Olimar and Pikachu.

SMJ's ruleset:
- Player A plays Donkey Kong and beats Player B who played Marth
- Player A stays with Donkey Kong
- Player B picks Dedede
- Player A bans Final Destination
- Player B picks whatever that's still pretty bad for DK

Conclusion: With this ruleset the DK player doesn't even have the luxury of a tip that the player is going to counterpick him that hard. He has to know ahead of time that the opponent isn't confident enough in his Marth. Let's look and see what would happen if he was psychic or if he just used his secondary every single time he won the first match:
- Player A picks a secondary that's good against Dedede but not so much against Marth
- Player B stays with Marth
- Player A bans Battlefield
- Player B picks Lylat Cruise

Player B, no matter what Player A does, gains a heavier advantage than what happens in Outcome I in the currently used ruleset.

As for myself, I already feel that the losing player gains a sufficient advantage in the current counterpicking system, so I wouldn't want to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom