• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why wouldn't this rule set work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Why should we treat people who main only one character equally to those who main multiple? It takes a lot of work to play many characters well. Far more than it does to main only a single character.

It is a choice to only play one character the same way it is a choice to play a lousy character like ganondorf. You should not be rewarded for a poor choice or refusal/inability to dive deeper into the depths of brawls metagame.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Why should we treat people who main only one character equally to those who main multiple? It takes a lot of work to play many characters well. Far more than it does to main only a single character.

It is a choice to only play one character the same way it is a choice to play a lousy character like ganondorf. You should not be rewarded for a poor choice or refusal/inability to dive deeper into the depths of brawls metagame.
why shouldn't we treat people who main only one character equally to those who main multiple? I takes a lot of work to play one character well. Far more than it does to main many characters(one of them being MK). A win should be determined by skill, not the amount of characters you main.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

This is true, with your ruleset we should also give Ganondorf a 2 stock lead against Meta-Knight, etc...

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
And your ruleset would change that how?
If you don't like the character balance, play BBrawl.
To answer your question simply, My rule set will make it so that characters like Wario, Marth, Falco(characters that are affected by certain MUs and stage specific MUs)aren't forced to pick up a secondary when their opponent not only counters him, but also stage counters him. It also makes it so that you are not punished for counter picking your opponent on certain stages.

sunshade

Smash Ace
why shouldn't we treat people who main only one character equally to those who main multiple?
It is more difficult to play multiple characters than it is a single character.

I takes a lot of work to play one character well. Far more than it does to main many characters(one of them being MK).
First of all this is false. Second, you only play diddy. What do you know about how hard it is to play Metaknight or any other character for that matter?

A win should be determined by skill, not the amount of characters you main.
It is determined by skill. It takes skill to learn another character to force a more difficult match-up. It takes skill to learn a secondary character to cover up your bad match-ups.

with current rule set, we should just force everyone to main tourney viable characters
Players are only forced to play tournament viable characters in the way that you are forced to breathe if you want to live.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I can't be nice about this. You must be mentally DAMAGED, to still think the mentality behind your rule-set is right.

You REALLY think we should reward people who do LESS work?

I'm done in this thread.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
You guys are the ones that are mentally damaged. I remember someone once told me "I would rather be great at one thing, than be mediocre at many". You can pick up more than one character, but if you do, you now have to divide the time you spend on your characters which means they won't be as great as if you only put the time into a single character. Think about how fast a character's metagame could advance if you had people who only focused on one character. With My rule set, this can become a reality.

I would also like to mention that just because someone only mains one character, it does mot mean that they put less time into their character than someone who mains more than one. Some characters just require you to put in more time than others.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
You guys are the ones that are mentally damaged. I remember someone once told me "I would rather be great at one thing, than be mediocre at many". You can pick up more than one character, but if you do, you now have to divide the time you spend on your characters which means they won't be as great as if you only put the time into a single character. Think about how fast a character's metagame could advance if you had people who only focused on one character. With My rule set, this can become a reality.

I would also like to mention that just because someone only mains one character, it does mot mean that they put in less time into their character than someone who mains more than one. Some characters just require you to put in more time than others.
Now you are just making a fool of yourself.

Most people pick up a second character after they have mastered the first.

And there is only like... a couple of characters who have a meta-game that can still be advanced...

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

And there is only like... a couple of characters who have a meta-game that can still be advanced...
Name me one person that has completely mastered their character because I have never heard of someone who has.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The day that I see him PSNL ADHD is the day that I will say that M2K has mastered his character. So are you basically saying that only M2K has what it takes to main a secondary?
Hardly, you asked me to name one person and I did.
Stop trying to take my words literally when it is obvious what I am implying, I was just saying that most people don't try and learn two different characters at the same time.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

I didn't put words in your mouth you said it yourself here

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
uhh

You're saying that you shouldn't punish people who main one character, because....

Well in your example, someone who mains one character has put 100% of their time in that one character.

Now someone who mains two characters, since you said they had to split the work and be "mediocre with many," they've put 50% in one character and 50% in another (or 60-40, or 70-30, whatever. If they use 3 or 4 characters, this number's split even smaller (still assuming they've spent the same amount of time). There are universal things in just playstyle that carry over no matter what character, but a lot of things are still split between characters. Anyway, this is just for purpose of example, so just say like 50-50 or 60-40 split.

You're leaving out/forgetting two main things.

1) Why are you losing to someone who's worse than you with a character? If I play against an Marth who's spent half or a third or whatever time playing their character than I have mine because they're using multiple characters, I SHOULDN'T LOSE because I'M BETTER. Someone CPing Lylat and Marth against me (or G&W and Norfair, or Wario and Brinstar, or Dedede and PS1, etc) shouldn't be beating me if as you said in your own example, they have to split their time between all their characters.

2) Because of that, people who main multiple characters have to put in more work to be on equal footing so their counterpicking actually works. They aren't spending the same amount of time as someone maining one character is (in general) if they want to be successful because they have to learn more people, and so it takes more time for all of their characters to be at the same level. To have their multiple characters be effective, they're putting in more work than someone maining one character.

According to you, if they're putting in the same amount of time as you (which is why you want your ruleset so single character players can't be punished), then they should be worse than you overall because they're spreading some of their experience over multiple characters, and you should be able to beat them (easier). If they're putting in more time than you, then they're putting in more work than you, meaning it obviously takes more work—making your point that it doesn't take as much work to main multiple characters wrong.

sunshade

Smash Ace
By master I think that GrimTuesday ment the following.

"To achieve proficiency with a character to the point that any improvements in the character will require a significantly larger time investment than typical of other levels of play."

It would be once someone reaches that point that they then begin learning a secondary character.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I didn't put words in your mouth you said it yourself here
This is one of my pet peeves. I over-estimate people's deduction skills in debates and arguments.

If I say something has been "mastered" when it hasn't by the exact definition of the word, I obviously mean something else. It is synonymous in this case with saying "God, everyone at my school is obsessed with Twilight!". Would you assume that every single person in my entire school is obsessed with Twilight? I hope not.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sunshade XD

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
By master I think that GrimTuesday ment the following.

"To achieve proficiency with a character to the point that any improvements in the character will require a significantly larger time investment than typical of other levels of play."

It would be once someone reaches that point that they then begin learning a secondary character.
Have you seen any recent videos of ally? he is going MK, Wario and ICs in them. M2K doesn't need secondaries because he mains MK. And ADHD,http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272897

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
...What does that have to do with anything...?
This isn't about MK's brokeness or Ally having secondaries, I don't know where you were going with that...
Sunshade posted up(but now deleted) that the top 3 players ADHD M2K and Ally only mained one character. I was trying to prove him wrong

Veel

Smash Apprentice
You guys are the ones that are mentally damaged.
Someone insulting you does not justify acting like a child; please stay on topic.

Think about how fast a character's metagame could advance if you had people who only focused on one character. with My rule set, this can become a reality
I'm sorry but this is a really vague over-generalization of how the system works and this statement's validity is debatable at best. Instead of just throwing out an opinion could I ask you to clarify with detailed examples to get across your point?

I remember someone once told me "I would rather be great at one thing, than be mediocre at many". You can pick up more than one character, but if you do, you now have to divide the time you spend on your characters which means they won't be as great as if you only put the time into a single character.
(Ignoring the assumption that logging all one's time into a character is the most efficient way to become a better player with a character.) You state that you won't be as great with one character as you could have been if you split your play between several characters. Yet this is the is the fundamental mistake you seem to have made about competitive Brawl; the goal is not to be the best that you can be, with one character (nor is it to advance the metagame.)

The goal of competitive Brawl is to win within the largest community of people that can be established as often and as long as possible. It is to serve this purpose that the rules are crafted.

Is your argument is that the current rules unfairly favor people who play multiple characters and your rules would eliminate that? If so, then your system centralizes the game on playing one character: as you stated playing one character makes you more skilled at them and your system, also as you stated, would eliminate significant advantage of counter picking characters. As such it would be foolish to play two characters which would lower your skill with one in return for little benefit from counter picking. If this is true then your system would contradict the goal of competitive Brawl as it would limit the game thus hurting the community.

Furthermore your entire call to action is that the current rule set is unfair and favors multiple characters but isn't this merely an opinion? You demand and propose a change based upon what you feel yet realistically does the rule set really severely limit people so much that they cannot win using one character. To certain extent this is a judgment call and no one can prove such a statement but I wonder how many of the top players use a singular character (for serious matches)...

NNID
Budget_Player
FTR, this is STILL the interesting conversation ITT. Someone else join, it'll be more fun.

Or would just rather focus on fighting as opposed to being distracted by giant obstacles.
Again, I said this in the other thread. Does player preference matter when we are looking for the most competitive way to play? Of course it doesn't. If you're distracted by giant obstacles, you prolly don't know how to fight against them that well.

Why? The word "intensive" is too strong for your usage, then.
Fair enough?

I might as well just main metaknight. Haha.
Is this supposed to be an argument? Because if MK breaks the system we can either modify the system specifically for him and only him (see my other thread), ban him, or make the system worse for everyone. I think out of all of the options there, the third is the worst.

I strongly disagree. On FD, landing is easier because you can use b-reversals and airdodge while DI'ing inward or outward to avoid being hit or even simply DI to the ledge. The tier of castle seige with the statues and large platforms prohibit safe landing. These are not battlefield or lylat platforms we're talking about, these are massive yoshi's island platforms. What if you are out of jumps? You cannot airdodge through platforms. And what if metaknight is about to shuttle loop, or DDD is ready to back air? Good luck.
Okay, fair enough. But "it's harder to land here" seems like hardly an argument. You got into the very disadvantageous position of "without your second jump coming down to the stage where a character with good options is waiting to punish you", why did you do that in the first place? Hardly makes CS a counterpick on its own.

So what if it's his 5th best stage? Metaknight is still much more advantageous and much more threatening from Delfino than Falco and Ice Climbers on Final Destination. This notion that "characters should not start on their best stage" is pointless if you are inviting an even more severe scenario--metaknight playing on a stage in which he performs even stronger than other characters on their best stage, even if that stage is not his best.
Um... What? If the "even" playing field for brawl (as opposed to the biased one, where the characters in question get their best stages guaranteed) makes MK that much more sick, the system is not buffing MK. It's merely removing an unwarranted buff for the characters who suck on multiple stages. If MK gets more of a boost from his 5th-best-stage than falco does from his very best stage, what does this say about each of those characters? If we have to put artificial limiters in that make the system worse in order to keep MK from completely breaking the game, why aren't we doing something meaningful like making MK start with a stock less, or make MK unable to counterpick or strike?

(Also, for the record, if you strike from the whole MLG stagelist against MK, know where you're likely to end up? Castle Siege, Halberd, or Lylat-none of which are ridiculous for MK.)

Metaknight can repeatedly shark in between stage transformations, and characters other than metaknight and lucario have a very hard time stopping it if they can at all. Sure, he is perfectly compatable on every transformation except the one with the three large grass pillars, but within half of the stage playing time he has an outright strong advantage.
Yes, I know it's a good MK stage. However, it's not one of his best.

As I said, a stage and its obstacles do not necessarily have to be "cookie-cutter extreme." Outplayed? Because I was caught by an unavoidable scenario in which I was thrown/hit into an obstacle with hitboxes and hit again, I was outplayed? That is merely the stage dealing more damage than your character could have at that moment in the first place. What if the obstacle appears before you are hit, then you were outplayed? That is what many would refer to as luck.
"Unavoidable" situation? It's up to you to know "this stage can do this to me, it shows that it's going to do this to me this far in advance, I have to be ready". If your opponent is able to pressure you into hazards, AKA the "unavoidable scenario", then he outplayed you. Otherwise you probably would not have gotten whacked into the hazard, would you have? Alternatively, you also have the option of doing so (naner lock into lava/cars anyone?)

PTAD? What?
The hazards have a set path, but deal like 20 damage and kill super early, and Diddy has a very useful projectile that trips and locks. Seems fairly logical that he'd be able to **** hard on that stage.

Metaknight beats Diddy Kong on Pictochat, as well as snake, falco, and pit + a few others.
Hmm, okay.

Why do you direct this statement at me? I am not fighting for myself, I am fighting so that each player whether they won or lost were content that their set was legitimate. Each player and their respective character had performed actions that were based out of skill, and the better man won. I refuse to accept that because stage obstacles had dealt damage or caused a player to be dealt damage, that he or she lost because the better man (or woman, I guess) won.
Okay, then how about you start counterpicking to rainbow cruise?

THAT'S why I directed it at you. All of the stages you advocate have the quality of no random factors ('cept YI, which has a major random factor), but just randomly happen to be Diddy Kong's favorite stages. Hmm...

And again, it takes skill to be able to play a stage right. You naner lock your opponent into halberd's laser/bomb/claw? You outplayed them. MK pressures you with a well-timed fair on your shield into a lava spout on norfair? He outplayed you. Snake forces you to, in order to avoid his C4, airdodge into the center of PTAD where the cars are about to come and you have close to no options? HE OUTPLAYED YOU. Not that hard to grasp. And in the case of obstacles that aren't random, or that have a lot of warning before they show up, there's really no excuse whatsoever-if you run into them, you either are bad at the stage or your opponent outplayed you.

I'm not sure if you knew, but snake is arguably a better camper on Castle Seige, even more than Final Destination or halberd. While you are not out of options, certain characters with strong aerial abilities and camping abilities are better-suited here. I'm not going to accept as a response "just strike it" because the same certain characters that benefit from CS benefit from about 5 other stages on that list more so than everyone else. This is a counterpick stage, and should be in the counterpick stage section of the MLG stagelist. The reason FD should not be in the counterpick stage section for Falco or Ice Climbers is because there is no scenery or obstacles that suddenly place a character into a disadvantaged spot or scenario.
Wait what?

Excuse me, your argument for CS as a counterpick is "it favors snake" and then you go in the same paragraph to argue that FD is a bad counterpick?

The obstacles on CS are hardly gamebreaking. And even if they were, it has that third segment, which is like Lylat sans platforms, and that first part, which is kind of like battlefield. Just camp for the second part. And again, there's no scenery or obstacles that suddenly put a character in a bad spot (that would be like PTAD, or Green Greens)-you know exactly what you're getting into when you go to Castle Siege. There will be one part where you play like on BF/frozen warioware, one part where you play like on mario circuit, and one part where you play like on a smaller FD. There is nothing that suddenly surprises you (like, say, cars coming from the side that you have less than a second to avoid, or even to the extent like Halberd's ****ing bomb hazard!).

Now. As far as this being good for the same chars who are good on 5 other stages, what are those other stages, and which are those characters?

Halberd: Low ceiling, crane, bombs, and lasers? Do you want to fight snake, DDD, metaknight, or falco on this stage? Did you know that DDD has a dthrow infinite at the tier with the cannon? I'm not sure if you did. This is also a counterpick stage, and does not belong within the 9-starters. And yes, I was outplayed because I was chaingrabbed into a laser/bomb/gimmicky edge where I could be infinite'd and uptilted. Or maybe, I was also outplayed because metaknight sharked the entire time and then already had a strong ground game to begin with well enough for the other scenery stage changes.
1. No, No, No, maybe (small stage = less room for lazer camping, large lower blast zone = lots of space to meteor cancel easily). Strike it. Do you want to fight DDD, Diddy, ICs, or Falco on FD?
2. This I didn't know about. I just looked it up, and it seems like if you don't space it right, you **** it up... But I somehow doubt this is so much of an issue when the stage has the existing hazards (they are good for something!), and you look at other stages on the list (FD is probably just as good for DDD. No, really)
3. Sharking is annoying. Strike it-MK doesn't have that many good stages in the starter list. Like, any.

Delfino? Metaknight can shark here half the time/has a very natural ability to air camp, DDD has wall infinites, kirby has a better pressure game here, and the water allows early spikes to take off stocks. It is like the rest, a counterpick stage and does not belong in the starter list.
Delfino is, IMO, a worse starter than Frigate (if you use the 9-starter list, replace Delfino with Frigate; frigate is far more balanced and in fact considerably worse for MK; don't you dare john about the flip).

Norfair is a touchy subject. I'll leave that alone for now. However, I will say this. You claim that you are not stripped out of options long enough for it to matter, and yet if you are stripped out of options and are forced to take high damage or even a stock off than that affects the outcome of the match. That's long enough to matter!
Again, if you are stripped of options like that, your opponent probably outplayed you pretty hard. Even if he just whacked you with a shuttle loop into the lava, you gotta be more careful when you know that **** is out there.

LMAO. Do you know how many characters are **** on this stage? Rob, DDD, MK, even snake and wario?! Not to mention the annoying stage slipping and odd ledge switching which yes, can sometimes kill people even if you are metaknight. It does not matter where you are on the screen at times either, you can die at any time from a stage flip.
Lolwut

Okay, first of all, do you know how many characters are **** on FD/SV/BF (each individual one)?
Second of all, what stage slipping? What do you mean by ledge switching? When it flips?
Also, there is a big fat safe zone (AKA about a hop above the stage) for the switch; if you are there during that time you will never die. If your opponent pressures you out of it into a zone where you stand a small chance of the stage killing you... ___ ___ _________. Fill in the blanks.

Brinstar is what you refer to as an "intensive" stage, or I'll use that term to describe an extreme counterpick. Characters (cough metaknight) have the ability to shark here, and when you are forced into the air because of the lava some people will benefit visibly. Also, if you would normally ban norfair because you are afraid of this happening, norfair practically has the same characteristics. What will you do, then? Don't say pick up metaknight as an answer, please.
Pick a character that is able to work well on multiple stage types?

I'll get to the rest later.

I use more chars because it's just fun, I don't need nebody else other than Snake
You should go **** M2K with dat CF man.

EDIT:

The hazards can instantly change a matchup, or if you are hit into them cause a massive amount of damage to be done to a character or KO him/her.
___ ___ _________.

Certain terrain also promotes heavy camping, such as the boxes, lines, or fence spikes.
Is this a problem?

When the rockets appear, basically, you will be disadvantaged if you do not choose to attempt to throw your opponent into them, lol. That is very distracting to both players.
So? Risk/reward goes up, by a small margin.

Lol at "lrn2 plei on staegz." So if I learn to play on these stages, the obstacles go away, right? Not really.
They might as well-you learn to deal with them.

If I learn to play on these stages, I will not be grabbed and thrown/hit into the obstacles, right? Not really.
Yes, because this is "learning how to play against your opponent". :p

Just because you learn to play on these stages does not mean you have an instant advantage, nor does it determine the outcome of the match or give you more options when you really need them. Invalid response.
Oh? So in other words, the better player still wins?

Yes, because I was hit into a rocket despite playing "safe" and camping/shielding I was outplayed. I'm glad you see it my way (sarcasm).
You clearly weren't playing safe enough or smart enough.

It wasn't recorded, but snakeee vs random Buffalo, NY diddy kong. Frank (snakeee) was up a full stock damage wise game 3, last stock. The line appeared and he couldn't recover. Guess what happened. He died. If you are falco and below the ledge, just kill yourself because you can't do (pardon my lack of words) ****.
Okay, that kinda sucks for him. Maybe he shouldn't have been well below the stage (a very disadvantaged position) when no transformation is there and one might come up.

So when I ban norfair and am taken to brinstar with the same qualities then what do I do? This isn't about just diddy kong. The fact is, multiple characters are prone to this.
It's a misconception that Norfair is similar to brinstar; the mechanics are completely different.

Oh, and it's absolutely HILARIOUS that you said to avoid a hit, you mentioned airdoding through a lava sprout. What if it goes wrong and you are hit back into them, then hit again into the lava sprout? Smart, I will remember your advice BPC the next time I am at MLG on norfair. I will be sure to airdodge into lava-sprouts!
I mean through. THROUGH. If it works. I don't know. Just ignore that point.

Happened at Bum's tournament in NY. Most metaknights refused to use the MLG stagelist because the sudden alterations where alot to keep track of and too time consuming. The only one who saw the advantages and used them was atomsk. Atomsk won the tournament.
Well then, we have a player using the stagelist in a smart way and winning because he played smarter than his opponents. I see no issue here. In fact, this seems to support my point. If you keep running the same kinds of stagelists and it turns out that the player who picks MK and goes gay stages will always win, then we have an issue. But in this case we have:
-A bunch of players too scrubby to learn the **** stages
-One player who wasn't (and was one of the best players there anyways).

Which one deserves to win?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Again, I said this in the other thread. Does player preference matter when we are looking for the most competitive way to play? Of course it doesn't. If you're distracted by giant obstacles, you prolly don't know how to fight against them that well.
While player preference does not matter, the pinnacle of competitive play and the most developed section of the metagame enlies in the top players, no? If the majority of them dislike the ruleset and they are ignored and simply trampled over, there is not much hope for the "competitive play" that will occur at these tournaments. At the same time, one could assume these tournaments do not care about any player opinions at all or insight, or whether they enjoy it or not they'll simply shove the ruleset in our face. I can't say that this is the best way to treat the players, and there should be respect within the TO's or people will basically say "**** you" and won't attend in the long-run. Of course, they will attend the rest of MLGs because the tournaments are sparse, but if they continued for a year or more straight, the attendance would indefinitely decline.

Is this supposed to be an argument? Because if MK breaks the system we can either modify the system specifically for him and only him (see my other thread), ban him, or make the system worse for everyone. I think out of all of the options there, the third is the worst.
Alright, but metaknight still exists and does pose a problem. Btw, I was joking.

Okay, fair enough. But "it's harder to land here" seems like hardly an argument. You got into the very disadvantageous position of "without your second jump coming down to the stage where a character with good options is waiting to punish you", why did you do that in the first place? Hardly makes CS a counterpick on its own.
Alright, but I was responding to your statement that "landing is easier on Final Destination" and trying to provide examples of why that's false.

Um... What? If the "even" playing field for brawl (as opposed to the biased one, where the characters in question get their best stages guaranteed) makes MK that much more sick, the system is not buffing MK. It's merely removing an unwarranted buff for the characters who suck on multiple stages. If MK gets more of a boost from his 5th-best-stage than falco does from his very best stage, what does this say about each of those characters? If we have to put artificial limiters in that make the system worse in order to keep MK from completely breaking the game, why aren't we doing something meaningful like making MK start with a stock less, or make MK unable to counterpick or strike?

(Also, for the record, if you strike from the whole MLG stagelist against MK, know where you're likely to end up? Castle Siege, Halberd, or Lylat-none of which are ridiculous for MK.)
Well, I agree. Something needs to be done about Metaknight, but adding stages in which he recieves a buff upon and the ability to start on CS, Halberd, or lylat (where he has the advantage over the majority of the cast thru strategies I've lightly listed, as opposed to much less for over-all everyone on bf, sv, and fd so I believe that is a buff) you are doing the opposite of helping to relieve the problem.

Yes, I know it's a good MK stage. However, it's not one of his best.
Lol. That doesn't matter if his performance is superior on Delfino Plaza in comparison to everyone else. This is not the case on battlefield, smashville, and final destination for metaknight. Also, this is a very strong counterpick stage for DDD if your character is able to be chaingrabbed--and even if not, he is still good here. You can't just claim "then simply strike it" because that is enforcing me to assume that you know the stage should not exist in the starter section for it's somewhat heavy advantageous characteristics. We should not throw stages that do not belong in the starter list into them merely because they can be striked, and therefor will never be played upon game 1.

"Unavoidable" situation? It's up to you to know "this stage can do this to me, it shows that it's going to do this to me this far in advance, I have to be ready". If your opponent is able to pressure you into hazards, AKA the "unavoidable scenario", then he outplayed you. Otherwise you probably would not have gotten whacked into the hazard, would you have? Alternatively, you also have the option of doing so (naner lock into lava/cars anyone?)
Yet even so, it does not make these stages justifable and fair. Unavoidable situations in which you are "outplayed" do not occur on the previous neutrals because the counterpick stages (that are sometimes in the starters) strip options far more often. Also, please stop directing statements at me, this isn't about me.

The hazards have a set path, but deal like 20 damage and kill super early, and Diddy has a very useful projectile that trips and locks. Seems fairly logical that he'd be able to **** hard on that stage.
Decent logic, but still not exactly on point. Doesn't matter, though--it's irrelevant.

Okay, then how about you start counterpicking to rainbow cruise?

THAT'S why I directed it at you. All of the stages you advocate have the quality of no random factors ('cept YI, which has a major random factor), but just randomly happen to be Diddy Kong's favorite stages. Hmm...
Does not make it legitimate to direct statements at me claiming I am sellfish and fighting for soley myself.

And again, it takes skill to be able to play a stage right. You naner lock your opponent into halberd's laser/bomb/claw? You outplayed them. MK pressures you with a well-timed fair on your shield into a lava spout on norfair? He outplayed you. Snake forces you to, in order to avoid his C4, airdodge into the center of PTAD where the cars are about to come and you have close to no options? HE OUTPLAYED YOU. Not that hard to grasp. And in the case of obstacles that aren't random, or that have a lot of warning before they show up, there's really no excuse whatsoever-if you run into them, you either are bad at the stage or your opponent outplayed you.
I still am finding it hard to believe that you were outlpayed if the osbstacle randomly appears after you were hit, and that because the stage renders you entirely out of options you were outplayed. These "outplayed" situations are more often common than you think, especially against aerial-based characters. Even if you train constantly on a stage like norfair or brinstar, the situations can and will still happen to you. The warnings before-hand do not matter in these scenarios.

Wait what?

Excuse me, your argument for CS as a counterpick is "it favors snake" and then you go in the same paragraph to argue that FD is a bad counterpick?

The obstacles on CS are hardly gamebreaking. And even if they were, it has that third segment, which is like Lylat sans platforms, and that first part, which is kind of like battlefield. Just camp for the second part. And again, there's no scenery or obstacles that suddenly put a character in a bad spot (that would be like PTAD, or Green Greens)-you know exactly what you're getting into when you go to Castle Siege. There will be one part where you play like on BF/frozen warioware, one part where you play like on mario circuit, and one part where you play like on a smaller FD. There is nothing that suddenly surprises you (like, say, cars coming from the side that you have less than a second to avoid, or even to the extent like Halberd's ****ing bomb hazard!).
The scenery changes alter the matchup, and force characters to play differently. It is a counterpick stage. The previous 5 starter set had no stages that suddenly forced individuals to change up their game depending on the scenery/time period or stripped one of options and that is where I'm drawing the line.

Now. As far as this being good for the same chars who are good on 5 other stages, what are those other stages, and which are those characters?
DDD is great on halberd, delfino, battlefield, smashville, FD, ps1. Metaknight is great.. hell, everywhere but yoshis island, and snake us great on everywhere but possibly delfino, yoshis, and lylat. Wario is great on.. and it can continue.

1. No, No, No, maybe (small stage = less room for lazer camping, large lower blast zone = lots of space to meteor cancel easily). Strike it. Do you want to fight DDD, Diddy, ICs, or Falco on FD?
2. This I didn't know about. I just looked it up, and it seems like if you don't space it right, you **** it up... But I somehow doubt this is so much of an issue when the stage has the existing hazards (they are good for something!), and you look at other stages on the list (FD is probably just as good for DDD. No, really)
3. Sharking is annoying. Strike it-MK doesn't have that many good stages in the starter list. Like, any.
"Like any?" What is a good stage for metaknight? Last time I checked, it was basically everywhere. All of the stages are good starters for metaknight, because he is metaknight. MLG is making it more severe when delfino, and halberd are tossed into the list and the striking system enters the equation. The stages one would normally have a preference to fight metaknight on are lost due to these extra stages requiring to be striked. That goes for other characters as well, like DDD.

The quote: "A 9-starter stage list ensures that game 1 be played on the fairest stage possible" is absolutely and entirely false. The stages you have a preference for fighting metaknight or other characters on have preferences because the matchup ratios are almost even or most favorable there--and these stages are striked.

Delfino is, IMO, a worse starter than Frigate (if you use the 9-starter list, replace Delfino with Frigate; frigate is far more balanced and in fact considerably worse for MK; don't you dare john about the flip).
Opinion, whatever. No one would want to start out on frigate except for snake, Donkey Kong, and aerial based characters because it is one of their traditional counterpicks...

Again, if you are stripped of options like that, your opponent probably outplayed you pretty hard. Even if he just whacked you with a shuttle loop into the lava, you gotta be more careful when you know that **** is out there.
There have been times where I've been hit "out there" and the lava coming in horizontally following that appeared, hitting me. I wasn't outplayed, it was outright random and "lucky." This can happen to anyone.

Okay, first of all, do you know how many characters are **** on FD/SV/BF (each individual one)?
You have to exlpain to me why they are so terribly efficient on these stages like it's DDD on rainbow cruise, because that's what it's coming off as every time I see you state something like or about this. This is not ROB on frigate.

Second of all, what stage slipping? What do you mean by ledge switching? When it flips?
Also, there is a big fat safe zone (AKA about a hop above the stage) for the switch; if you are there during that time you will never die. If your opponent pressures you out of it into a zone where you stand a small chance of the stage killing you... ___ ___ _________. Fill in the blanks.
As if pushing them "out of the safe zone" is a conscious strategy the opponent keeps in mind.

Pick a character that is able to work well on multiple stage types?
That's one solution. But at this point, there is not enough time to do so. You will not get very far according to the time periods that MLG has occured. You've had to have mained them from the start or picked them up long before to perform decently.

Is this a problem?
Yes, I've invented a game-breaking camp scenario on pictochat in which no one can dream of approaching me. I'd say that was unfair.

Specific characters can camp similar to this.

So? Risk/reward goes up, by a small margin.
Not because of anything they have done, but because of what the stage decided to do.

hey might as well-you learn to deal with them.
**** still happens.

Yes, because this is "learning how to play against your opponent". :p
Silly **** still happens.

Oh? So in other words, the better player still wins?
No, the player with the most versatile character wins.

You clearly weren't playing safe enough or smart enough.
Untrue. You can play as "safe" or "smart enough" as you want, and you can still be hit by that rocket.

That kinda sucks for him. Maybe he shouldn't have been well below the stage (a very disadvantaged position) when no transformation is there and one might come up.
Wait, whoah whoah whoah. So you should be conscious of the minor chance of a line popping up above you at all times, even though it is rare? So no johns if it appears above you and you die? Sounds ridiculous to me, or some cheap shot excuse for his loss/future events of this happening.

It's a misconception that Norfair is similar to brinstar; the mechanics are completely different.
They are both very hardcore counterpicks.

Well then, we have a player using the stagelist in a smart way and winning because he played smarter than his opponents. I see no issue here. In fact, this seems to support my point. If you keep running the same kinds of stagelists and it turns out that the player who picks MK and goes gay stages will always win, then we have an issue. But in this case we have:
-A bunch of players too scrubby to learn the **** stages
-One player who wasn't (and was one of the best players there anyways).

Which one deserves to win?

No, we have a player using the stagelist to it's fullest potential using all metaknight, counterpicking and starting on "aka gay stages.". He won, when he ordinarily doesn't.

Crow!

Smash Lord
I personally think that maining many different characters is a cool thing which, while not essential for a ruleset to encourage, is nice when it happens. Learning more characters requires more practice and study (which is fun), and gives more variety in game experiences, thereby keeping players in the Smash scene for longer (which, of course, is the most important point of all, much more important than who actually wins games.)

I actually advocate switching the order so that the stage is picked before characters in game 1 as well. I don't expect that change to happen, but it would go a little way toward making lower tiers more useful - play enough mid tier characters, and you'll lilkely have one which does unusually well whichever of the starters you wind up on.

Heck, look at the thread linked by my signature.

(Oh, and note, I did not read through the thread here, this is basically a response to the OP.)

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
We've said why it doesn't work. It gives the loser an advantage too great. The loser knows which character his opponent is going to pick. He can counterpick him real bad, since everybody sans MK and Snake has a pretty bad matchup. Then, yeah, sure, they get to ban the stage: but everybody, even MK, has two bad stages and two good stages at the least that give them a significant disadvantage or advantage. The loser, if he knows most of the matchups in the game, can severely counterpick his opponent unless they main MK. Thus, this ruleset encourages learning multiple characters, and is the opposite of what you said. We've given you examples, and we don't need to give you even more. Plain and simple, this ruleset does not work. I think, aside from the stage list, the current rule set for MLG is fine, and we should stick with it. Please, either change the reason why you want this ruleset to be in place so that it actually makes since, or stop posting, SaveMe.

NNID
Budget_Player
While player preference does not matter, the pinnacle of competitive play and the most developed section of the metagame enlies in the top players, no? If the majority of them dislike the ruleset and they are ignored and simply trampled over, there is not much hope for the "competitive play" that will occur at these tournaments. At the same time, one could assume these tournaments do not care about any player opinions at all or insight, or whether they enjoy it or not they'll simply shove the ruleset in our face. I can't say that this is the best way to treat the players, and there should be respect within the TO's or people will basically say "**** you" and won't attend in the long-run. Of course, they will attend the rest of MLGs because the tournaments are sparse, but if they continued for a year or more straight, the attendance would indefinitely decline.
So if top players are scrubs, we should listen to them because they're top players?

Alright, but metaknight still exists and does pose a problem. Btw, I was joking.
If MK poses a serious problem to the system, I still hold the belief that making MK-specific rules to make the system work better is better than ending up with a worse system overall.

Alright, but I was responding to your statement that "landing is easier on Final Destination" and trying to provide examples of why that's false.
k

Well, I agree. Something needs to be done about Metaknight, but adding stages in which he recieves a buff upon and the ability to start on CS, Halberd, or lylat (where he has the advantage over the majority of the cast thru strategies I've lightly listed, as opposed to much less for over-all everyone on bf, sv, and fd so I believe that is a buff) you are doing the opposite of helping to relieve the problem.
How do you relieve the problem, by nerfing MK in ways that just happen to make the game worse for the rest of the cast? Also, lylat is hardly broken for MK.

Lol. That doesn't matter if his performance is superior on Delfino Plaza in comparison to everyone else. This is not the case on battlefield, smashville, and final destination for metaknight. Also, this is a very strong counterpick stage for DDD if your character is able to be chaingrabbed--and even if not, he is still good here. You can't just claim "then simply strike it" because that is enforcing me to assume that you know the stage should not exist in the starter section for it's somewhat heavy advantageous characteristics. We should not throw stages that do not belong in the starter list into them merely because they can be striked, and therefor will never be played upon game 1.
I'd say strike it, but that argument kinda sucks unless you're using the 15/17-stage starter list (as in, strike from all legal stages, which is definitely the most fair system). I don't feel that delfino should have a place in the 9-starter stagelist though.

However, let me put it to you this way. Metaknight has the options of going to any number of stages that help him abuse his opponent. I mean, out of the whole MLG stagelist, how many stages on it are actually not great for MK? If the only stages he is bad on are FD, BF, and SV (relatively bad), what does this say about him? If he can abuse the whole cast on most stages, isn't this saying that he is able to normally abuse the whole cast, if we do not model the rules around him as a character (by instituting a smaller stagelist)?

Yet even so, it does not make these stages justifable and fair. Unavoidable situations in which you are "outplayed" do not occur on the previous neutrals because the counterpick stages (that are sometimes in the starters) strip options far more often. Also, please stop directing statements at me, this isn't about me.
That was a hypothetical 'you'. And again, these unavoidable situations? Just play campier and you won't run into them.

Decent logic, but still not exactly on point. Doesn't matter, though--it's irrelevant.
Just figured, of all the stages, diddy would prolly do better on the ones with strong hazards.

Does not make it legitimate to direct statements at me claiming I am sellfish and fighting for soley myself.
Fine.

I still am finding it hard to believe that you were outlpayed if the osbstacle randomly appears after you were hit, and that because the stage renders you entirely out of options you were outplayed. These "outplayed" situations are more often common than you think, especially against aerial-based characters. Even if you train constantly on a stage like norfair or brinstar, the situations can and will still happen to you. The warnings before-hand do not matter in these scenarios.
You get hit and then the lava wall appears in front of you on norfair. How is this different from the situation where the lava wall was already there and you get hit into it? You should be playing carefully in any situation where it could potentially be there, especially when you aren't sure it's there. It merely offers an extra risk-reward factor-you can play aggressively, trying to shove your opponent into the hazards that are there or may appear there (also, btw, there is a pattern to norfair's hazards, merely not where they appear), or you can play defensively, trying to avoid the chance of getting hit into an appearing hazard.

The scenery changes alter the matchup, and force characters to play differently. It is a counterpick stage. The previous 5 starter set had no stages that suddenly forced individuals to change up their game depending on the scenery/time period or stripped one of options and that is where I'm drawing the line.
What?

No, the changing scenery on CS does not constitute a counterpick stage, above all because everyone knows what's coming. If you go to Castle Siege, what happens? Everyone knows that first you go to part one, then there's the transition, then you go to part two, then there's the transition, then you go to part three, then there's the transition, and then you go back to part one and it loops from there. If you go to castle siege, your are banking on playing on all 3 transformations (just like in either pokemon stadium, or on frigate orpheon-you have to expect to play on the transformations there if you're going to go there). I mean, would you consider a stage that flipped between YI, SV, BF, MC, and FD in a set, timed order a counterpick (mario circuit is in there mostly because of the second transformation of CS-keep in mind that non-permanent walkoffs do not hold the same centralizing factors as permanent ones)? You know it's going to happen, you can guess when it's going to happen, you know how it works.

Depending on scenery, you may or may not be worse off. However, you know that this is going to be the case when you go to the stage, and it's up to you to camp on the parts that treat you badly and try to abuse the parts that treat you well.

DDD is great on halberd, delfino, battlefield, smashville, FD, ps1. Metaknight is great.. hell, everywhere but yoshis island, and snake us great on everywhere but possibly delfino, yoshis, and lylat. Wario is great on.. and it can continue.
Let's extrapolate this to the 15-stage starter list (striking from the full MLG stagelist). In order for the stagelist to effect the matchup heavily, you have to be ridiculously bad against your opponent's character on 8 legal stages. Or, if you want to drop Norfair and Green Greens, and then maybe PS2 and one other stage (picto, maybe?), 6-7. Doesn't this say something about your character? You have to be terrible against your opponent's character on 8 stages in a liberal stagelist, or 6-7 in a conservative one.

"Like any?" What is a good stage for metaknight? Last time I checked, it was basically everywhere. All of the stages are good starters for metaknight, because he is metaknight. MLG is making it more severe when delfino, and halberd are tossed into the list and the striking system enters the equation. The stages one would normally have a preference to fight metaknight on are lost due to these extra stages requiring to be striked. That goes for other characters as well, like DDD.
MK only has good stages. Relatively speaking though, is SV a good stage for MK? No, it isn't. Compare that to how he performs on an average between brinstar (his best counterpick) and FD (usually his worst stage in matchups that matter). This average is not going to be SV, or anywhere near it. It's going to be closer to Frigate. MK is incredible on counterpick stages, and still great on starters.
Now, comparitive to the rest of the cast, SV is a good stage for MK. I mean, look at falco or ICs, FFS. They do great on FD, decently on a few other "starters", and then suck almost everywhere else. MK on SV is great for MK, if you look at what kind of benefits Falco or ICs get from their third- or fourth-worst stage (or, **** it, their third to fourth BEST stage!).

However, are we really going to limit MK surgically to fix this issue? Why?

The quote: "A 9-starter stage list ensures that game 1 be played on the fairest stage possible" is absolutely and entirely false. The stages you have a preference for fighting metaknight or other characters on have preferences because the matchup ratios are almost even or most favorable there--and these stages are striked.
It is false, you're right. It still benefits the characters who prefer stages like FD/SV/BF. The full-starter stage list ensures that game 1 be played on the fairest stage possible for that matchup. Is FD the fairest stage for the falco-MK matchup? It's probably about 50-50 there... No, of course not, the falco-MK matchup is NOT 50-50! You have to look to the stage that gives the median advantage for the characters, and the closest option you have to that is... well, the median favored stage. And before you start complaining, remember-you have 7 strikes! If MK completely destroys your character on 8 legal stages (or, going from the EC rules, 6), then maybe the matchup is just... bad?

Also, look at what you're saying.

"The stages you have a preference for fighting metaknight or other characters on have preferences because the matchup ratios are almost even or most favorable there--and these stages are striked"

"The stages you have a preference for"

Yeah, these are the stages that belong striked-they are your favorite stages. They don't provide an even start for the matchup, they start one which is advantaged for your character-they prefer to fight on those stages.

Opinion, whatever. No one would want to start out on frigate except for snake, Donkey Kong, and aerial based characters because it is one of their traditional counterpicks...
Then strike it. I'm just saying, it's better than delfino as a starter if you are going to limit the list.

There have been times where I've been hit "out there" and the lava coming in horizontally following that appeared, hitting me. I wasn't outplayed, it was outright random and "lucky." This can happen to anyone.
Answered above.

You have to exlpain to me why they are so terribly efficient on these stages like it's DDD on rainbow cruise, because that's what it's coming off as every time I see you state something like or about this. This is not ROB on frigate.
It isn't like DDD on RC or ROB on Frigate. That doesn't make it a fair stage though. Those characters need a very specific type of stage to not get abused by the stage-they are ridiculously limited characters. and remember, we aren't going to RC against DDD, or Frigate against ROB-you strike those stages in those matchups.

I think the main issue here is that it's hard to see FD/BF/SV as a falco counterpick, mostly because when you look at the top counterpicks for chars like ROB, or DDD, or MK, they provide a ridiculous advantage for that character in most matchups. The issue here is simply that falco doesn't have qualities that cause him to **** way harder on a certain type of stage. He is a limited character, really. He's decent most places, but unless he goes to certain stages, he has trouble. And if you strike those stages against him, well, he's in for a rough time.

As if pushing them "out of the safe zone" is a conscious strategy the opponent keeps in mind.
They should if they're playing on frigate. In fact, they should be "pushing the opponent out of the safe zone" on any stage-including those without hazards. The safe zone on FD is the middle of the stage; the safe zone on YI is under the main platform in the middle; the safe zone in pictochat is the bottom left of the stage. You have to try to keep your opponents out of that zone and yourself in it.

That's one solution. But at this point, there is not enough time to do so. You will not get very far according to the time periods that MLG has occured. You've had to have mained them from the start or picked them up long before to perform decently.
It was a joke. Falco/diddy/etc. are still capable of functioning in the MLG stagelist. They just go from top tier status to mid-high tier status, where they belong due to there extremely limited stage options.

Yes, I've invented a game-breaking camp scenario on pictochat in which no one can dream of approaching me. I'd say that was unfair.
All right. Now how long does this last? You're in the boxes, or under the whale, or beneath the waves of the ship. How long does this advantaged position last? Your opponent can play keep-away until it vanishes on its own. And in the rocket situation, they can either play it safe (maybe even detonate the rockets with projectiles), or take the risk/reward and try to throw opponents into the rockets.

Not because of anything they have done, but because of what the stage decided to do.
And that's fine. It's possible to say exactly when a hazard will spawn on pictochat, just not which, and again, there's a safe zone. The stage merely raising the risk/reward aspect of gameplay does not in itself make the stage broken.

No, the player with the most versatile character wins.
That's a factor. However, being versatile is a positive character trait.

Untrue. You can play as "safe" or "smart enough" as you want, and you can still be hit by that rocket.
If you're not right in its way, or your opponent didn't hit you into it, I don't see this happening.

Wait, whoah whoah whoah. So you should be conscious of the minor chance of a line popping up above you at all times, even though it is rare? So no johns if it appears above you and you die? Sounds ridiculous to me, or some cheap shot excuse for his loss/future events of this happening.
There's a one in–what, 13?–chance. And also, it can only appear during a certain time-specifically, exactly 13 seconds after the last hazard disappeared. Being concious of that hazard when you are in a very disadvantaged position (below the stage without jumps?) during a very specific time frame... Seems reasonable enough to me.

They are both very hardcore counterpicks.
Yeah, but different people are good on them in different manners. But w/e, kinda irrelevant.

No, we have a player using the stagelist to it's fullest potential using all metaknight, counterpicking and starting on "aka gay stages.". He won, when he ordinarily doesn't.
Isn't anti like, a top metaknight? :confused: I mean, if it was someone like Orion or Plank or someone who doesn't usually place that high, I could understand it. Also, who's to say he would've won if, you know, the rest of you guys stepped up your game, abused the stagelist to your advantage, learned the good tactics on norfair (I hear diddy is supposed to be pretty good there if you know how to abuse the stage hazards...)/ggs/etc... That he was the only one who abused an available resource and then won because of that... So?

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Hardly anybody likes his stage list, it encourages knowing multiple MU's (which is good) and the practice of several characters (which, imo, is bad) yet SaveMe continues to say it does not. It also gives the loser way too much of an advantage. Plus, seeing what he said about Donkey Kong, he doesn't know much about the metagame either. And we've given him examples but he won't listen. I think SaveMe has lost the argument. I say we turn this thread into a is the MLG stage list good or bad, like it's already turning into, just to get it locked.

NNID
Budget_Player
I figure I'll just go with my "you have to prove something is banworthy to ban it or else you are a scrub" point. From the AiB thread:

Either way, the point of this thread, one of the key ones at least, are being completely ignored. It's not "unban stages X, Y, and Z for reasons X, Y, and Z". It's "The way we have been thinking about stages is, for the most part, completely wrong, banning stages should only happen when it's shown that the stage is heavily anticompetitive for brawl, and that without physical tournament testing, we can't be certain on many of the "borderline" ones." Has anyone ever tried out YI:M in tournament play, to see if it's really as bad as everyone says? What about onett, or PTAD, or Luigi's Mansion? Most of the time, the answer is either no or "it got used once, then someone abused a tactic on it, and then it got banned".

Tell me, guys, what happened to "Don't ban something unless you absolutely have to"? This is taken straight from sirlin.

How does one know if a bug destroys the game or even if a legitimate tactic destroys it? The rule of thumb is to assume it doesn’t and keep playing, because 99% of the time, as good as the tactic may be, there will either be a way to counter it or other even better tactics. Prematurely banning something is the scrub’s way. It prevents the scrub from ever discovering the counter to the Valle CC or the diamond trick. It also creates artificial rules that alter the game, when it’s entirely possible that the game was just fine the way it was. It also usually leads to an avalanche of bans in order to be consistent with the first. When players think they have found a game-breaking tactic, I advise them to go win some tournaments with it. If they can prove that the game really is reduced to just that tactic, then perhaps a ban is warranted. It’s extremely rare that a player is ever able to prove this though. In fact, I don’t even have any examples of it.
Now guess how applicable that is to stages.

Why does this not apply to stages? Smash is a ridiculously varied game. Why should we not consider stages a part of this?

We banned items because they were overly random (if a beam sword spawned over your opponent, you have no chance of getting it before he does, and you can't tell when items will spawn. If there was a warning somewhere between 2-10 seconds before the atual spawning, like a flash in the area showing what item it will be, I would be supporting testing item play, because that level of randomness is easily reacted to-just try to get to where the item is in 2-10 seconds and you'll be fine). That was warranted, as getting consistent results of "who's the best" with that level of instant randomness was impossible. I'm sure you all remember Evo 2008.
We banned smashballs because they severely favored the loser, and almost everyone agreed that the game was better without an item that at first turned the game into "whack the pinata" and then into "run away from the guy with the final smash until he loses it", that additionally provided ridiculous advantages to some characters (snake might as well have a guaranteed two kills, same with the spacies, sonic, etc.).

We've banned certain stages because it's obvious that certain tactics become ridiculously overpowered on them (circle camping), we've banned stages due to excessive randomness (warioware)... But the moment a stage becomes even REMOTELY DEBATABLE, it needs to be tested. If it's banned regardless, then it's clear that whoever bans it is being a ****ing scrub. Yes, I mean going to tournaments and playing stages like YI:M, PTAD, Luigi's Mansion, Distant Planet, etc. Is the tactic "pick that stage with this character and clean house" really that powerful? Well then you should have no problem going to a national tournament and winning literally every time your opponent doesn't decide to ban the stage. Unless, that is, you're wrong (you probably are).

THAT is the key message of this thread. Banning stages unless you're sure that they are heavily anticompetitive is scrubby. If you think the stage is really that bad, why aren't you ****** the regions that have it allowed with whatever tactic is broken on it? Why are tournaments banning YI:M (even though it apparently has nothing wrong with it other than subpar walkoff camping (subpar due to the slope) and small blastzones)? Luigi's Mansion (wreck the house and all your issues go away for 30 seconds)? Has it ever REALLY been tested if characters are too good there? We as a community are full of scrubs.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
ADHD stated with confidence:

Overswarm and alphazealot are booty, the kind of booty you never want to touch, even if you are left deserted on a stranded island with no opposite sex within five hundred thousand miles away.

Mad booty son. ADHD's 5-second ness 2-0'd dat ******, and he cried with tears of agony at his jump canceled item combos. He then proceeded to main metaknight.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
SaveMe isn't replying, I think we won. I hope this gets locked now and they close up all the other ruleset threads and make one designated topic for it.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Someone insulting you does not justify acting like a child; please stay on topic.

I'm sorry but this is a really vague over-generalization of how the system works and this statement's validity is debatable at best. Instead of just throwing out an opinion could I ask you to clarify with detailed examples to get across your point?

(Ignoring the assumption that logging all one's time into a character is the most efficient way to become a better player with a character.) You state that you won't be as great with one character as you could have been if you split your play between several characters. Yet this is the is the fundamental mistake you seem to have made about competitive Brawl; the goal is not to be the best that you can be, with one character (nor is it to advance the metagame.)

The goal of competitive Brawl is to win within the largest community of people that can be established as often and as long as possible. It is to serve this purpose that the rules are crafted.

Is your argument is that the current rules unfairly favor people who play multiple characters and your rules would eliminate that? If so, then your system centralizes the game on playing one character: as you stated playing one character makes you more skilled at them and your system, also as you stated, would eliminate significant advantage of counter picking characters. As such it would be foolish to play two characters which would lower your skill with one in return for little benefit from counter picking. If this is true then your system would contradict the goal of competitive Brawl as it would limit the game thus hurting the community.

Furthermore your entire call to action is that the current rule set is unfair and favors multiple characters but isn't this merely an opinion? You demand and propose a change based upon what you feel yet realistically does the rule set really severely limit people so much that they cannot win using one character. To certain extent this is a judgment call and no one can prove such a statement but I wonder how many of the top players use a singular character (for serious matches)...
This is the reason why I stopped posting here. It seems that all the community cares about is winning. It doesn't matter who out skills who. If you use are character(even if you don't main him) and beat someone who is clearly more skilled than you, it doesn't matter as long as you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom