• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Okay I'm completely done reading any type of reviews for any albums. Music critics might seriously have the most consistent worst point of view when it comes to music and I'm sorry to say that about an opinion....

Jane

Smash Hero
reading reviews will just taint your opinion on an album... just listen to it yourself and make your own inferences and come to your own conclusions.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I thought T.I.'s No Mercy was amazing. It just had whack *** beats and too many party tracks, but otherwise, I thought it was the ****.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
reading reviews will just taint your opinion on an album... just listen to it yourself and make your own inferences and come to your own conclusions.
Nah its not even so much about them tainting views because it's mostly introspection of the artist of what the reviewer doesn't specifically like about them. They ain't even talking about the album most of the time and ends up straying onto some other bull**** about what they said in one line and about why they resented it so much. It's honestly ridiculous.

Mainly there's a lot of bias that goes into the rating of hip hop albums and honestly I don't think that just anyone should be reviewing hip hop albums. Most of these critics are from a pop point of view and wouldn't know a good hip hop record to save their lives.

Mainly:

Pitchfork - These *******s give a low *** rating to nearly every hip hop album I've seen. Looking at the reviews for Slaughter house album and they gave that a 5.5 but a year later they're going to give Waka Flocka 8.0 for Flockaveli? Get the **** outta here. Even though I actually looked at some of the ratings for non hip hop records and they are tough critics in general with the highest I've seen so far was like 8.8

Kitty Empire - This ***** that always rates the hip hop albums gives much less credit than is due to albums that she feels has any element of misogyny.... anything against women that album pretty much lost a point or 2 from the jump.

Rolling Stone - Should never be allowed to rate hip hop albums again either. All they look for are those pop orientated themes just like others such as pop matters and all of that.

Mainly, I'm not taking **** from any type of site besides hip hop bound sites only. All these other sites have lost their credibility with me.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
ive been making beats for a while on my keyboard. I was wondering if fruity loops is the only music program to download?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
im getting the hang of it. the only thing i dont know how to do is change the speed of the beat.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
The tempo?

Go to the number that should be like 115 at default, or somewhere around that range. Click and move your mouse up and down to adjust it.

Niko45

Smash Master
Do you agree with Joey tha Gawd?

Hip Hop Fans are fickle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgjLEN__Pag&feature=player_embedded

I'd have to say I do...

Pretty interesting video. Decent points on both sides but I think the girl with the straight hair got it right. The previous artists who garnered enough universal appeal/mass popularity were both killed. Now you're seeing Jay, Nas and Eminem get old and the fans are still there for them and I can't imagine that will ever change, even with their music falling off. The nostalgia for their classics keeps people interested in them.

People joke about Ja Rule going to jail and DMX being ****ed up but I don't think that takes away from their music. Rock fans can watch the Osbournes and point and laugh at Ozzy Osbourne for being burnt out. Plus Ja Rule is not a legend by any means. He was a heavily pop oriented rap artist who had a good run for a few years. Pretty forgettable in terms of thinking about how history will reflect 20+ years later. There will be (and have been) other Ja Rules but it's looking pretty safe to say there will never be another Jay/Nas/Em, at least within this genre.

Which brings me to Joe Budden. Sorry for the Joe stans, but lets be real. Joe's a very mediocre rapper. If he had been trying to come up in the mid 90s I guarantee he would never have made it. His entire career was launched during a time when hip hop was oversaturated with glorified pop-gangster rap. He was a new artist bringing some conscious thought to the game (while still having an underlying street edge which just seemed completely necessary to succeed at the time). Joe Budden's success is pretty directly related to this same ignorance he's so frustrated with (He's basically anti-ignorance, or, let's say he appeals to the "ignorant but curious"). People like Joe serve as a gateway/crossover between street **** and conscious. Even though he seems frustrated with the ignorance he's doing his part to get new fans to dig deeper. It's all part of the process.

If he's worried about he himself being forgotten, I think he has good reason to worry. He's not a legend. He's not even 50 cent. There are plenty of examples of artists like this in other genres who basically fade away, leaving no one left but their die hard fans to care about them, which is totally normal imo.

I think it's difficult to say that the hip hop fan is particularly fickle. Hip Hop has crossed over into megapopularity and is very closely mixed with general pop music. You have lots of people who like this new music for lots of different reasons (and the fans tend to be incredibly young). It's not really fair to blame 16 year olds for not knowing about Illmatic. If people are ignorant then they're just ignorant or probably are just interested in the next catchy beat from Kanye or whoever does Soulja Boi's ****. When you're genre has evolved into pop music, you're going to get a lot of fans like that.

It's a mature genre at this point. It has its icons and legends. It has its contemporary dudes who are good for a while but probably won't stand the test of time. It has its pop section for the shallow listener. It has a section stuck in a time warp trying to recreate the sound from its "golden era." And it has a couple of promising talents that could potentially carry the torch going forward. I think it's playing out pretty much by the book.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Nice post, Niko. A few things there I don't necessarily agree with, but make sense. Unfortunately, I can't properly respond from my iPad, so you'll have to give me a min.

You also said da Gawd is mediocre. I've killed for much less...

I'll turn the other way while u edit an "imo" in there somewhere...

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
It's not really fair to blame 16 year olds for not knowing about Illmatic. If people are ignorant then they're just ignorant or probably are just interested in the next catchy beat from Kanye or whoever does Soulja Boi's ****. When you're genre has evolved into pop music, you're going to get a lot of fans like that.
i take offense to that.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
you guys know a site where you can find out how many records an artist sells in one week after the album realese?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Nice post, Niko. A few things there I don't necessarily agree with, but make sense. Unfortunately, I can't properly respond from my iPad, so you'll have to give me a min.

You also said da Gawd is mediocre. I've killed for much less...

I'll turn the other way while u edit an "imo" in there somewhere...
"imo"'s are pointless. no crap it's his opinion, that's why he said it.

rhan

Smash Hero
In a "Hip Hop/Black People" discussion I'm pretty sure he meant Hip Hop/Rap albums. lmaoooooo

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
"imo"'s are pointless. no crap it's his opinion, that's why he said it.
Jay-Z hasn't been relevant since the Black album.

Jay-Z hasn't been relevant since the Black album, IMO.

Tacking that on changes the connotation of the statement. It's not an opinion on-off switch, lol. It's like red ink vs black ink...normal type vs all caps.

Jane

Smash Hero
god i love this burst of activity going on.

favorite album?

of all time
fuck world trade by leftover crack. theyre a punk/ska/hardcore band.

hiphop?

eeeesshhh.... hmmmmmmmmm...

i dont think i have just one. perhaps, MAYBE PERHAPS, its masters of the universe by binary star. maybe.

Suspect

Smash Hero
2 of my friends are local rappers here and they are selling wale tickets for his concert here...I told him I didnt want one cause dude is wack. Him and his 14 year old groupies got mad at me.

Top Bottom