• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

.Marik

is a social misfit
I like this thread.

Yeah, mainstream artists are a bunch of rich little kids that don't really understand what it's like to "be in the hood" in the first place.

Older rappers such as Tupac and Eazy-E did, so that might've prompted messages about getting out of the ghetto where virtually no opportunities are featured.

But at the same time, they were "gangsters", so being in the 'hood was normal and often spoken about.

Older and underground rap is the real deal. Mainstream artists seem to have forgotten what rap is all about, and where it really came from.

Anyways, check out these videos. Makes mainstream music pale in comparision. I'm not saying all mainstream artists and the songs they make lack a proper message and are mediocre, but most of them are horrible.

Eazy-E and Tupac- Real Thugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUD-gnKY1n8&feature=PlayList&p=8DF3B4804F1D4C79&index=104

O.G.C.- Bounce To The Ounce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGhVui__zn0&feature=related

O.G.C.- Hurricane Starang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2n0EXpub5w&feature=related

Get @ me.

That reminds me, I'm going to go find more BootCampClick and M-Fam videos.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
u want some good ****? look up stuff by sage francis, immortal technique, and the streets.
(no disrespect intended)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
How could I forget! Kid Koala.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUhnOrXyz6Q

Every sound is a scratch.
There is no straight forward mixing here. Every sound is customized with scratching, however delicate. If anyone proves that DJing is music, that DJs do indeed write music, that turntables are instruments, it is Kid Koala.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUhnOrXyz6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR-i0qRHLpM

He also worked on the Gorillaz first album, and showcased his ability to do more traditonal scartchs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH_gP9OaNtg

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
*gasp!* I actually went to a Girltalk show in my town recently. It was filled with booze, people jumping around, and was utterly amazing. One of the best concerts I've been to. I love how innovative he is with his mixes. the guy doesn't miss a beat.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I hate girltalk

I hate mashups

However, I enjoy Chopped & Screwed. I have no idea why.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Real talk, looks like there were some posts directed towards me (OH NO BEEF!!!!) lol no beef. I just want to say Rick Ross doesn't say stupid **** like I'm ******** because I'm a martian. I hope you know that is probably the one of the main reasons I dislike Lil Wayne none of his stuff is real and his stuff is stupid. It's like he is trying to be like Eminem. Em was different because he had a different style and was always attacking people when he did say stupid stuff. Lil Wayne just says it just to say it.

I don't know why people respect tupac so much. He hit women and no matter how good his music is i won't listen to somebody that hits women.

Nowadays rappers say it's cool to be in the hood.
Tupac said it wasn't yet he was in gangs. You don't need a gang to get out of the hood.

*awaits to get bombarded by a learnURrap wall of text from CRASHiC*
Man, I don't wanna get too into this but....

But, Tupac as far as I know never hit a woman in his adulthood. Some of his work "Keep Ya Head Up" and "Dear Mama" was about how woman need to be treated better and how he felt like a douche because he treated his mom bad.

Tupac was only in a gang when he was younger.

But, I'm glad you feel that way about not listening to somebody who has hit a woman. If he really did than I would probably stop listening to him for a while also.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
anyone here like to listen to hip hop instrumentals? if so....

erm..

if you ever been on my profile, you'll see my age is 14. well i make beats. if you read the Mary Had A little Lamb Thread i made, i actually remade the song. added the sounds and stuff. *cough* 14 year old music producer. */cough*

/showboating :chuckle:

i would like the members of SWF that listens to hip hop etc. to check me out.

http://www.myspace.com/maliksbeats feedback? :)
"lil Thumpa" is not me btw
(Got Ultimate Swag!)

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
I hate girltalk

I hate mashups

However, I enjoy Chopped & Screwed. I have no idea why.
If it's UGK chopped & screwed then we're still on the same page.

Real talk, looks like there were some posts directed towards me (OH NO BEEF!!!!) lol no beef. I just want to say Rick Ross doesn't say stupid **** like I'm ******** because I'm a martian. I hope you know that is probably the one of the main reasons I dislike Lil Wayne none of his stuff is real and his stuff is stupid. It's like he is trying to be like Eminem. Em was different because he had a different style and was always attacking people when he did say stupid stuff. Lil Wayne just says it just to say it.
No beef brah. First off yes Em is a genius, and even without his controversial subject matter his lyrical ability is matched by very few. But as far as Lil Wayne trying to emulate his style? I don't see it. Lil Wayne knows his role as the reckless gangster. Yeah he's a little overrated lyrically and has a bad habit of being overly experimental(Phone home, Prom Queen), But he still has the ability even now to drop good verses; most of the Carter III and whip it like a slave for instance. But he was his best during the Carter II and Dedication II days imo.

You also say he isn't "real"? At least what he says in his rhymes happened. Surely you've heard about Officer Ricky haven't you? If there's anyone that's saying anything for the sake of saying it, it'd be the hollywood gangster Rick Ross. Again I guess a lot of this debate is preference but as far as rapping ability goes I'm pretty certain it goes:

Lil Wayne>Lil Bow Wow>the guy who does the pokerap>Rick Ross

Jane

Smash Hero
No beef brah. First off yes Em is a genius, and even without his controversial subject matter his lyrical ability is matched by very few. But as far as Lil Wayne trying to emulate his style? I don't see it. Lil Wayne knows his role as the reckless gangster. Yeah he's a little overrated lyrically and has a bad habit of being overly experimental(Phone home, Prom Queen), But he still has the ability even now to drop good verses; most of the Carter III and whip it like a slave for instance. But he was his best during the Carter II and Dedication II days imo.
i agree with almost everything you say haha.

BUT

You also say he isn't "real"? At least what he says in his rhymes happened.
hah! like 20% of what he says in his rhymes really happend. most of what he raps about is just BS he makes up to rhyme. which is fine. i'm just saying.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
True, Rick Ross is a fraud. But as far as flow goes, his is much better than Wayne.

On account of being real, wayne is realer. I can't believe that was even a thought of mine!

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
hah! like 20% of what he says in his rhymes really happend. most of what he raps about is just BS he makes up to rhyme. which is fine. i'm just saying.
that percentage probably applies to most of today's rappers then. :p

also i'm probably being a little harsh on Rick Ross. he's actually not worse than Bow wow. Port of Miami and Maybach music was alright. Guess he just lost his cool points with me when I saw videos like these. He at least shouldn't have lied about it lol

On a lighter note though, new Kid Cudi album gets two thumbs up.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Needs more O.G.C.

Check out "Bounce To The Ounce" and "Hurricane Starang".

Real shit.

Noraa

Smash Lord
rick ross > lil wayne
rick is still a very mainstream cut rapper though, his lyrics mean nothing and have no substance.
he hasnt once shown his skill.

BP3 was horrible compared to jay's other cd's. BP3 has MYBE 3 good cuts.

People need to go get (cd's that came out this year that are good):

1) J.cole - The Warm Up
2) Raekwon - OB4CL2
3)Skyzoo - The Salvation

^best cd's so far this year.

Jane

Smash Hero
naw i think lil wayne >>>>> rick ross

rick ross has some hot beats, and thats it. thats all he has lol.

wayne has lyrical ability. only problem is he puts out so much music that its like 45% good **** and 55% bull****.

i thought BP3 was alright, i mean you can't compare to the old hova, this is now not then. of course they're better but i don't see what the point is in comparing them.

only built 4 cuban lynx 2 was dooope

Jane

Smash Hero
haha lil wayne is alright.

people either give him way too much credit, or don't give him the credit that he deserves.

Jane

Smash Hero
because as far as rapping ability, and cunning lyrics, he's got it. also he kills a lot of tracks when the original artist doesn't.

now i'm not saying he's the greatest rapper ever, VERY far from it. and he makes a lot of garbage. but i don't understand why people hate him so much? is it cuz he's so famous? why do you dislike him so much?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah, because he definitely writes his own songs...

What is rapping ability? A nice voice? Ability to rap fast?

Why do I dislike him so much? Do you not listen to his lyrics? He has a song called "***** Money Weed." I think that essentially sums it all up.

Jane

Smash Hero
haha well yeah he's definitely not a "conscious emcee" that raps about socially relevant things, he's mainly concerned with making good party songs, and those are two completely different audiences.

i don't understand what point you're trying to make with the ***** money weed song. what's wrong with a song about ***** money and weed?

what do you want from your hip hop lyrics?

(also i'm not trying to like troll or argue for the sake of arguing, i respect your opinions this is just for the sake of talking about lil wayne with someone who doesn't like him. no disrespect etc)

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
What is rapping ability? A nice voice? Ability to rap fast?
uh the ability to entertain?

Do you not listen to his lyrics? He has a song called "***** Money Weed." I think that essentially sums it all up.
And seeing as how ***** Money Weed, is probably one of his most insightful songs, it leaves me to wonder whether or not you actually listen to songs, or just look at the titles before forming opinions.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Guys, I don't know about yall but for me I could listen to any song about any subject as long as the guy rapping is giving off good lyrical skills and is being real. I love it when some rappers such as Cassidy, make you think about what he just said. It's like hold up did he......Know I'm saying?

I'm starting to get into B.I.G. and his **** is toooooooooo good. If more people today were like him, we would has a problem discussing the best rapper alive, let alone the top freaking 10.

who shot ya is great lyrically, but puffy ruins it.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
haha well yeah he's definitely not a "conscious emcee" that raps about socially relevant things, he's mainly concerned with making good party songs, and those are two completely different audiences.

i don't understand what point you're trying to make with the ***** money weed song. what's wrong with a song about ***** money and weed?

what do you want from your hip hop lyrics?
For me, good lyrics make you think. After listening to rap I want to be able to contemplate what I just heard and be challenged by it. Something talking about sex, drugs, and cash really doesn't do it for me.

And seeing as how ***** Money Weed, is probably one of his most insightful songs, it leaves me to wonder whether or not you actually listen to songs, or just look at the titles before forming opinions.
I have not listened to that song, I'll admit, but I've listened to enough of his stuff to know that that's essentially what most of his songs discuss. That was my point, I was not talking about that song, I was saying that the title sums up his lyrical content.

His lyrics do not challenge me, make me think, or anything of that nature. Well, they do make me think why anyone would listen to it, but that's about it.

Jane

Smash Hero
if lyrical depth and content is what you're looking for, then yeah lil wayne definitely does not fit the bill lol.

i just like him because he has clever lyricism, and raps over/has a lot of dope beats.

Jane

Smash Hero
haha yeah i know others do to, that's why i listen to a very wide variety.

as far as lupe, ehh, that song wasn't really doing it for me, but i love lupe.

i loved food n liquor, and the cool, and his mixtapes were sick, but as far as beats go i more than often don't like his beats. they're very electronic but don't get me moving or anything.

his best beats were on his singles and i usually don't think that about an artist.

but his revenge of the nerds mixtapes are SICK!

Jane

Smash Hero
Melfice, it all depends on what you want.

if you want your dance music to be more electric, then go with what crashic linked to.

but if you want your dance music to be like club rap, i could probably help you out and make you a playlist to fit your needs.

how long do you want it to be? and what kind of music do you want on it?

a mix of stuff like this, i could make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRvUadnp9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QprehOLdHZc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qPq6wdjkXA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcRinfpfOPE

etc etc. if you want something along the lines of that kind of music i could make it.

hell, even if you didn't like the whole "money-guns-girls" rap, but still wanted danceable hiphop i could probably make it but it would be way waay harder xD

but if you want more techno stuff looks like crashic could help you out in that department.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
Revenge of the Nerds was sick indeed. Lupe the Killer was probably my fav song. Somebody also mentioned J. Cole. I can't believe I overlooked him before, because the Warm Up is a beastly mixtape.

Melfice, do you need a** shakin' songs? Or will it be a more chill atmosphere? I'm gonna assume the former in the meantime. Here's a couple of current club staples.

Juvenile-Back that a** up
Lil Ru-Nasty Song
Trina-Look back at me
Lil Boosie-Loose as a Goose
Bun B-Git it
Too Short-Shake that Monkey
Soulja Boy-Booty meat
Jay-Z-Jockin Jay-Z
T.I.-Get Loose
Gucci Mane-basically any song

Top Bottom