• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
has anyone heard of binary star?
One of the best **** albums I've ever heard, the wordplay is fantastic

Morningstar

Smash Journeyman
Dang, my list probably won't be in any particular order, just who comes to mind first. I measure skill mostly by lyrics:

Canibus
Immortal Technique
Jedi Mind/Vinnie Paz
2Pac
Biggie
Del tha Funkee Homosapien
Nas
Outerspace
Dead Prez
Ill Bill

I'm still getting into a lot of hip-hop.

EDIT: This song is really good:
Canibus - The Art of Rhyming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdrirAH8Ju0

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
In no particular order, my favorite younger (under 35 years old) artists:

Young Jeezy
T.I.
Kanye West
Ludacris
Kid Cudi
Vinnie Paz

Jane

Smash Hero
wait, that's mtv's all time list?!

wow... not bad, mtv. not bad at all.

i mean jay doesn't deserve the number one spot, and i personally don't think pac and biggie should get 2nd and 3rd, but the top 3 is probably something no one would ever agree on, so i guess they just wanted as little dispute as possible.

HERE'S MY TOP FIVE SIX SEVEN *DUN DUN DUN*

you guys have no idea how much thought i've put into this list, my "favorite emcees ever" list is something i think about at least weekly lol.

anyways,

(IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, that would be waaay too hard)

Big L
Andre 3000
Masta Ace
Ludacris
Aceyalone
Mos Def
Eminem

what's your guys' top list look like?

updated again... i can't believe i forgot Em.

also kanye comes very close to making my list, but he's such an douche in real life that i refuse to put him in the top.

also kid cudi is dope as hell. if i had a top list for newcomes to hiphop kid cudi would make that list no doubt.

Jane

Smash Hero
has anyone heard of binary star?
One of the best **** albums I've ever heard, the wordplay is fantastic
dude binary star was so tight. i posted a few of their songs earlier in this thread somewhere...

but yeah, masters of the universe is a great album, one be lo is one of the sickest emcees ever

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
OMFG whyyyyyy didn't i see this thread soonerrrrr...
Anyway my favorite rapper is Joe Budden. He's one of the illest lyricists in the underground scene imo and he raps over some dope beats. Here's some samples if you havent heard of him...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBdj83pgX40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpaAugvpsPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS5KKKLMrI4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHtwU7xFLRY
Thank God...I thought I was going to go through the entire thread without hearing any mention of Joe Budden or Slaughterhouse...He's very likely the best lyricist out. I can't wait till the BET award ciphers are aired, Eminem and Joey killed it. We should talk, I can never find any other Joe Budden fans, and the guys on JBTV are...lmfao.

I recently (about two years ago) started listening to rap music and fell in love with it. Since then, my favorite rappers have become:

1.) Eminem- One of the best lyricists out, even now. If you listen to Relapse, ignore the...disturbing subject matter...and actually listen to the way that he weaves the lyrics and rhymes together...it's pretty amazing. I've got a moderately sophisticated rap palate, especially underground rappers like Elzhi and Blu...he still stands near the top lyrically. Renegade is one of my favorite tracks I've heard from him, but he really shines on his diss tracks and introspective songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlcPnzLAuc&feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHv9eL8GhbE(Go find the uncut version...I hate the cut version...)

2.) Joe Budden- An EXTREMELY close second. He's put out about ten projects and all ten are in my Zune rotation, including his debut album while on Def Jam. Though both of his albums are great, his mixtape series, Mood Muzik, showcases his best work. All three installments are classics (the first one...debatable. It was pretty hot, but had a few skippables.) Very versatile rapper ranging from club songs, to girl songs, to his specialty; introspective songs. His music is also very lyrical (all of my favorite rappers are, lol) with heavy use of metaphors and personification. Everytime I hear his music, I can hear something different or get a different message...I pretty much need the written lyrics next to me to hear all of the underlying messages and punchlines that he's hidden in the songs. His diss tracks are also some of his best. Be warned if you decide to listen to him though: he doesn't always use the conventional song structure(3 verses, 16 bars each, all wrapped up with a hook)...about half of his songs don't have hooks, MOST have more than three verses or just one long verse, and some go on for more than 7 minutes. Much respect for not handcuffing himself to that. I personally love the originality, but I can easily see how someone can dislike songs of that length.

Just a sample of some of his work.

3.) Lupe Fiasco- An incredible rapper, trumps Joe Budden and Eminem in use of double meanings and extended metaphors in his rhymes. Definitely not a conventional rapper; the subjects of most of his songs aren't what you'd imagine a rapper to talk about. Out of his entire discography, I've run into about...five songs that I actually "got" the first time around. Unfortunately, the main reason he's not my favorite rapper is because he's not very versatile. I love his music, but most of it has the same general mood and feel about it, though there are a few exceptions. Immensely pleased that he's putting out music again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmuq4zh1tY One of my favorite songs from him. I still can't follow the whole thing.

Plenty more rappers to add to this list, but this post is already entirely too long.

Jane

Smash Hero
goddamn matador, i love you!

you seriously make me wanna do what you did for my top 7, but fuck, that would take forever, might as well write an essay lol.

but seriously i read everything you wrote just in awe of the detail and structure of your whole post lol. also the four songs you chose were perfect for everything. i had never heard that joe budden or that lupe track. both were hot hot hot!

maybe i'll write a short synopsis for my favorites... maybe. :p

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Matador, if this forum still had a rep system, that would so be a +1 post right there. Love what you said about Eminem, regardless of the material in his songs (or even if they are true to real life), the man busts them out like no other.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
Pretty spot on analysis Matador. Joe Budden certainly does get far less credit than he deserves. As far as lyricism goes I put Lupe first, followed by Em, with everyone else else a distant 3rd. Wale is also pretty amazing when it comes to wordplay.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Pretty spot on analysis Matador. Joe Budden certainly does get far less credit than he deserves. As far as lyricism goes I put Lupe first, followed by Em, with everyone else else a distant 3rd. Wale is also pretty amazing when it comes to wordplay.
Fun fact: I grew up down the street from Wale, lol.

Prince Georges County :laugh:

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well written Mattador.

You've GOT to mention Rakim when talking about the greatest in lyricism. And to be honest, Biggie had some pretty mad lyrical skills too, like in Notorious Thugs. Lupe and Eminem are very good as well. I haven't heard enough of Joe Budden to judge him yet, though.

But imo you can't really say Rakim or Biggie are distantly behind anyone in lyricism.

Ok, that is really cool. :D

Did you ever see him in person?

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
dude binary star was so tight. i posted a few of their songs earlier in this thread somewhere...

but yeah, masters of the universe is a great album, one be lo is one of the sickest emcees ever
yeah those guys are insane. Too bad they only have one album but it's a classic in my book

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Good thread.

Another massive Joey fan...not really prominent on these boards anymore but yeah posted ages ago in the music recommendation thread trying to put people on Joe. Joe's my favourite artist by miles...his songs are just too real. Seriously, I listen to him daily and I just walk around with his lyrics in my head all day.

Off the top some quick reccomendations to check; Dumb Out, Who, 3 Sides to a Story, All Of Me (favourite song of all time), 5th gear, Boy Looka Here freestyle, Old School Mouse...............I could go on forever

@ Matador - lol I'm on JBTV. Can't wait for the BET cyphers too.

Seriously Joe takes up like 1/5th of my Ipod. ~ 230+ songs lol.

Mood Muzik 2/3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Other favourites are the rest of Slaughterhouse:
Crooked I
Royce da 5'9''
Joell Ortiz and then
Canibus & The Four Horsemen
Nas
Rakim
Termanology
Nino Bless
Blu
J. Cole
Pun
just started checking on Elzhi
same with Jay Electronica
Skyzoo
LOX

arghhh sometimes I feel that's just too much music and too little time...

btw some quick points Jay is over rated, Pun lyrically > BIG, Raekwon's an idiot, Royce doesn't get the recognition he deserves...

ARE YOU IN THAT MOOD YET!!!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You've GOT to mention Rakim when talking about the greatest in lyricism. And to be honest, Biggie had some pretty mad lyrical skills too, like in Notorious Thugs. Lupe and Eminem are very good as well. I haven't heard enough of Joe Budden to judge him yet, though.

But imo you can't really say Rakim or Biggie are distantly behind anyone in lyricism.
Yeah, there are plenty of brilliant lyricists out there...way too many to make blanket statements about.

One of my favorites, Chino XL, is about as lyrical as anyone mentioned in the thread. Another of my favorite songs. Trust me, this one's worth a listen if you haven't heard it before.
Ok, that is really cool. :D

Did you ever see him in person?
Never had the pleasure. It's cool when he talks about actual streets or places that I see everyday. And even though PG/DC is littered with Go-Go...I still hate when he puts those kinds of tracks on his mixtapes.

I hate Go-Go.

Edit:
Good thread.

Another massive Joey fan...not really prominent on these boards anymore but yeah posted ages ago in the music recommendation thread trying to put people on Joe. Joe's my favourite artist by miles...his songs are just too real. Seriously, I listen to him daily and I just walk around with his lyrics in my head all day.
Same with me. I listened to The Growth today, MM1 yesterday...it's really that bad, lmao.

Off the top some quick reccomendations to check; Dumb Out, Who, 3 Sides to a Story, All Of Me (favourite song of all time), 5th gear, Boy Looka Here freestyle, Old School Mouse...............I could go on forever
C/S all of these. Did you like Escape Route? Some of the tracks on there were pretty sick. Anti, Clothes on a Mannequin...hell, I liked the whole thing except Connect 4.

@ Matador - lol I'm on JBTV. Can't wait for the BET cyphers too.

Seriously Joe takes up like 1/5th of my Ipod. ~ 230+ songs lol.

Mood Muzik 2/3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Imagine my surprise when I heard both Joe and Eminem killed the Cyphers, lol. I heard some of Eminem's part...he definitely went in.

They said Joe's entire part was a quotable. So ready to hear it.

Other favourites are the rest of Slaughterhouse:
Crooked I
Royce da 5'9''
Joell Ortiz and then
Canibus & The Four Horsemen
Nas
Rakim
Termanology
Nino Bless
Blu
J. Cole
Pun
just started checking on Elzhi
same with Jay Electronica
Skyzoo
LOX
Joell Ortiz is amazing, hadn't heard of him till Slaughterhouse. The rest are sick, but Ortiz is so crazy on every track I've heard him on.

arghhh sometimes I feel that's just too much music and too little time...

btw some quick points Jay is over rated, Pun lyrically > BIG, Raekwon's an idiot, Royce doesn't get the recognition he deserves...

ARE YOU IN THAT MOOD YET!!!
C/S everything, lmfao. Hopefully Royce and Slaughterhouse get on Shady...then don't get shelved like everyone else on the label.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
One of my favorites, Chino XL, is about as lyrical as anyone mentioned in the thread.
Chino's flow and delivery puts me to sleep sometimes though lol.

C/S all of these. Did you like Escape Route? Some of the tracks on there were pretty sick. Anti, Clothes on a Mannequin...hell, I liked the whole thing except Connect 4.
Yeah I really liked it, personal favourites are World Keeps Spinnin, Anti, Good Enough, Never Again and State of You. Some say that he was on an angry agressive tip too hard, but I think that was just because of what was going on at the time and he was just venting.

Imagine my surprise when I heard both Joe and Eminem killed the Cyphers, lol. I heard some of Eminem's part...he definitely went in.

They said Joe's entire part was a quotable. So ready to hear it.
Yeah, should be leaking soon. I heard the verse he used is from The Great Escape.

Joell Ortiz is amazing, hadn't heard of him till Slaughterhouse. The rest are sick, but Ortiz is so crazy on every track I've heard him on.
Yeah Joell is crazy. Fav song of his is 125 Grams Part 2. Problem I have with Joell is that every verse seems like the same topic, either how he's just better then everyone, how he struggles growing up etc. I know you could direct this criticism at alot of artists but I don't know I just feel Joell doesn't really broaden his subject matter.... and he uses alot of food similes lol. Don't get me wrong though, I'm still a huge fan, and I think out of all four of them he's the one with that pure old school hip hop feel. Can't wait for Free Agent, if he ever does drop it. I feel out of Slaughterhouse he's the one that really hasn't pushed his own material.

Overall out of Slaughterhouse, I think that bar for bar lyrically, Crooked is the best. Dude is a monster. Even Joe, Royce and Joell say the same. You heard his Hip Hop Weekly series? Problem would be I guess his music doesn't really connect to the average listener like Joe.

I think Royce is the overall best MC out of all them. Death Is Certain is a great album.You listened to Street Hop?

Joey is my favourite personally, but on the Slaughterhouse tracks sometimes he gets outshined like on Sound Off. He killed Microphone, Cut You Loose and Cuckoo.

C/S everything, lmfao. Hopefully Royce and Slaughterhouse get on Shady...then don't get shelved like everyone else on the label.
Don't see them signing but if they do, great promotion and publicity, would definitely help getting their name out there.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Papoose could have taken the game over and shut it down. I was a massive Pap fan. He had the buzz, the ability, everything. But Pap couldn't drop Nacirema Dream. Sad truth is that he didn't drop the album, and he's fallen off.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Chino's flow and delivery puts me to sleep sometimes though lol.
Exactly why he's not in my top 5. Lyrically, he's on point...but you definitely need more than that.

Lupe's in that same boat with me, but not to that extent I suppose.

Yeah I really liked it, personal favourites are World Keeps Spinnin, Anti, Good Enough, Never Again and State of You. Some say that he was on an angry agressive tip too hard, but I think that was just because of what was going on at the time and he was just venting.
Yeah, none of the songs are skippable for me aside from Connect 4. The production isn't even bad when I listen to it on my Bose headphones, or anything with bass really.

Did you like We Outta Here? Personally my favorite song out of Slaughterhouse. People tell me Joell ruined it...I think he did alright though, lmao.

Yeah, should be leaking soon. I heard the verse he used is from The Great Escape.
Bodes well for the album, lol.

Yeah Joell is crazy. Fav song of his is 125 Grams Part 2. Problem I have with Joell is that every verse seems like the same topic, either how he's just better then everyone, how he struggles growing up etc. I know you could direct this criticism at alot of artists but I don't know I just feel Joell doesn't really broaden his subject matter.... and he uses alot of food similes lol. Don't get me wrong though, I'm still a huge fan, and I think out of all four of them he's the one with that pure old school hip hop feel. Can't wait for Free Agent, if he ever does drop it. I feel out of Slaughterhouse he's the one that really hasn't pushed his own material.
I haven't heard too much from Joell outside Slaughterhouse and a few tracks I youtubed out of curiousity, so I haven't hit that wall with him yet.

And I lol @ his food references. He has so many.

Overall out of Slaughterhouse, I think that bar for bar lyrically, Crooked is the best. Dude is a monster. Even Joe, Royce and Joell say the same. You heard his Hip Hop Weekly series? Problem would be I guess his music doesn't really connect to the average listener like Joe.
Mine would have to be Joell, followed by Crooked, both are sick. Crooked's verse on Raindrops was the best on the album imo.

I think Royce is the overall best MC out of all them. Death Is Certain is a great album.You listened to Street Hop?
Haven't heard it T_T

I JUST got the Bar Exams from a friend though. Haven't heard those either yet, lmao. I'd heard about all of the Slaughterhouse members before they formed the group, but I barely heard much from any.

I'm just now starting to listen to their older stuff.

Joey is my favourite personally, but on the Slaughterhouse tracks sometimes he gets outshined like on Sound Off. He killed Microphone, Cut You Loose and Cuckoo.
Most of the people I've let listen to the album feel like Joey's the worst out of the group, but he's still my favorite as well.

Whoever mentioned Papoose I gotta brofist.

Lyrical genius right there.
QFT.

Papoose is severely underrated. More unheard than anything.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Did you like We Outta Here? Personally my favorite song out of Slaughterhouse. People tell me Joell ruined it...I think he did alright though, lmao.
Yeah I liked it, they should have pushed it as a single I think, catchy hook and that. Joe's verse was the best I think. Joell did ruin it. goo goo gaa gaa... smh

I haven't heard too much from Joell outside Slaughterhouse and a few tracks I youtubed out of curiousity, so I haven't hit that wall with him yet.

And I lol @ his food references. He has so many.
Check out Brick Bodega Chronicles and Covers the Classics

Haven't heard it T_T

I JUST got the Bar Exams from a friend though. Haven't heard those either yet, lmao. I'd heard about all of the Slaughterhouse members before they formed the group, but I barely heard much from any.

I'm just now starting to listen to their older stuff.
Bar Exam 1 and 2 are both crazy. Street Hop is his new album, dropped on the 20th.

Most of the people I've let listen to the album feel like Joey's the worst out of the group, but he's still my favorite as well.
Understandable.

---

Just to highlight another of my favourite artists; Termanology. Great artist, worked with the likes of DJ Premier. Released his debut album Politics As Usual, has a mixtape series called Hood Politics and did a J Dilla inspired mixtape If Heaven Was A Mile Away. Here's a couple of my favourite tracks:

Probably his most well known track Watch How It Go Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jLRiCyEvi4

Nothing Is Real
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9Nygh_wx4

Different World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq3VlbUpdvw

God's World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I97P2cf4Gq4&feature=related

I See Dead People
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osWLSAa5JYs&feature=related

Circulate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZwnLQzV_8A

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Nice to see Em getting well-deserved respect here, as many people see him as just a white pop rapper.

Relapse has some sick, amazing tracks, but I don't think he's ever gonna touch his game from SSLP/MMLP/Eminem Show again. I hope Relapse 2 proves me wrong tho!

Not to say he lost it or anything because he puts out tracks like My Darling http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245592&page=13 . Why was this track just a bonus track!?

My favorite track from before SSLP is Murder Murder from the Slim Shady EP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WWaZMboAo . I love his old style delivery more than all his weird accents on relapse.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
you can't really say Rakim or Biggie are distantly behind anyone in lyricism.
I should've mentioned I was only talking about rappers who are still on the scene currently, because I definitely agree with you there. Though I probably still should've mentioned Rakim anyway since i'm pretty sure 99% of today's rap will pale in comparison to the Seventh Seal album once it finally drops.

It's definitely annoying how Papoose is letting his talent go to waste. But I haven't given up on him yet. Aside from the mix tape singles he sparsely puts out he really needs to find a way to get that first album released, label or not.

Dizzee Rascal's music is funky and underrated. Loved Fix up, Look sharp.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Thank God...I thought I was going to go through the entire thread without hearing any mention of Joe Budden or Slaughterhouse...He's very likely the best lyricist out. I can't wait till the BET award ciphers are aired, Eminem and Joey killed it. We should talk, I can never find any other Joe Budden fans, and the guys on JBTV are...lmfao.
Whoa...you're so on my cool list.

I'm actually gonna be moving down to Upper Marlboro, MD in the summer. Talk about a coincidence :dizzy:
I need to hear more from Wale. I have The Mixtape About Nothing, which is pretty dope.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I should've mentioned I was only talking about rappers who are still on the scene currently, because I definitely agree with you there. Though I probably still should've mentioned Rakim anyway since i'm pretty sure 99% of today's rap will pale in comparison to the Seventh Seal album once it finally drops.

It's definitely annoying how Papoose is letting his talent go to waste. But I haven't given up on him yet. Aside from the mix tape singles he sparsely puts out he really needs to find a way to get that first album released, label or not.

Dizzee Rascal's music is funky and underrated. Loved Fix up, Look sharp.
Yeah the seventh seal has been delayed like 5 times, lol.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Basically everyone producer from Ninja Tune and Def Jux, even though most of Def Jux's rappers are mostly So-so.
As of right now, I'm really diggin those old school 80s feel stuff like Blockhead's new album and most of Daedelus's work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNT1LVuh-ZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRJ2YvRv3N4

Here's a little known rapper I stumbled upon one day. I think most people here will like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ucdjhcvd_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0y26pJ0hC0

Its hard to come by a good female rapper, so I was amazed when I found one on this French house album I got, her names Uffie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhOIm2abjQ

EDIT-
OH ****
And Dangermouse of course for some favorite producers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNLHQVd06Ps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7yVtd32LQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Np4yq0VJs

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Thanks for introducin Papoose to me, guys.

Who are some of your favorite producers? RZA will always be on the top for me.
RZA is amazing, he's probably one of my favorite producers all-time.

My top 5 producers all time since I love making lists (no particular order):

Dr. Dre
Marley Marl
RZA
Timbaland
DJ Premier

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I think Kanye is a much better producer than rapper.
Probably. He's a pretty good rapper, but I'd have to agree that he's more famous for his production and that's what makes him sell so well. That and the fact that he's always in the headlines for being a complete ****.

Jane

Smash Hero
i just watched the BET cyphers, and mos, em, and joey murdered that ****! black thought and nicki minaj were dope also, but buckshot and crown royyal sucked haha

Top Bottom