• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

soap

Smash Hero
get started please

i'm pretty interested

anyways, lupe is better than kanye at rapping no question. But Kanye puts out better tracks overall.
Lupe has better flow and lyricism than Kanye. I'm not even sure how that could be argued against.
your avvy makes u look slightly biased, even tho I agree with u ;)

was driftin thru mos tracks and stumbled on this. I'm feelin ski beats, he had my favorite track on gutter rainbows as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0F2_sAlaNo

Suspect

Smash Hero
Some Lupe verses I like.

"Never met her before but I think I like her like a metaphor, it's hard to get"

"I mean come on, I mean look at what I'm dropping here
Do this for the block and the blogosphere
No, you ain't ready for the heavy, so I'll keep it light as jogging gear
I don't want the throne, I want the helicopter rocking chair
Jay gave me a co-sign like I was RocaWear, but be clear I'm not the air/heir
I'm the water, fire and the earth
That means I'm doing dirt, spitting flames and quenching thirst"

"You don't stand a chance, matter of fact you don't have half the stance to stand if you stood half a chance."

"It's like
don't give the black man food, give red man liquor
red man fool, black man *****
give yellow man tool, make him railroad builder
also give him pan, make him pull gold from river give black man crack, glocks and things, give red man
craps, slot machines..."

...the entire "mean and vicious" track

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
"It's like
don't give the black man food, give red man liquor
red man fool, black man *****
give yellow man tool, make him railroad builder
also give him pan, make him pull gold from river give black man crack, glocks and things, give red man
craps, slot machines..."
One of my favorite verses.

soap

Smash Hero
"Never met her before but I think I like her like a metaphor, it's hard to get"
this one always bothered me cuz a metaphor implicitly means that you don't use like. "I like her like a metaphor" is actually a simile.

altho it still works cuz he is metaphorically comparing her to a metaphor in the sense that she is playing hard to get, but that internal wordplay is slightly less cool.

got me thinking tho. I like her like a simile, she's different, indirect, and it's killin me. Metaphorically compared her to the definition of a simile lol.

from the same song I like: "Out of the trillions of numbers in the world, just leave me a few, that lead to you."

that also bothered me slightly at first cuz I was like, it's more than a few, it's 7 numbers plus area code, but if u look at the general stucture of 313-555-5555 how people usually give out numbers, it's like 3 separate figures, or a few numbers.

I have slight ADD :embarrass:

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea I have similar reactions to Lupe's stuff. Sometimes it's on point and brilliant and then other times it's almost brilliant but it just doesn't quite make sense and you can see he's just trying to be like "you get what I mean, right?" and those lines bother me.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
my fav lupe lines that need context from the song to truly appreciate

'See my songs carryin the clubs like Bagger Vance' -Absolute Freestyle

'Did you even catch the change in theme'
'And i shake *****s up everytime I drop a bar' -Failure

'Came up from the bottom of the eye exam ZOOM
Now I’m like the biggest G up in the room' - Say something

'A match made in heaven set the fires in hell' -The coolest

plus more

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea the change in theme one is absolutely bananas. Lasers needs to hit hard if Lupe's gonna enter top X rapper conversations. He could use another big album after that as well. He needs more quality official material imo.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I always wondered why people make "Best MCs Alive" rankings. I mean, not many notable rappers are dead, so the rankings shouldn't really change much. You have 2pac, Biggie, Big Pun, Big L, and Mac Dre, just off the top of my head.

Also, 2000th post, yay!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian

soap

Smash Hero
I find it hard to keep track of all these hip hop birthdays when they aren't shouting out their own birth date every song like Nas

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Big Pun was so ****ing fat on Yeahhhh Baby! he was like weezing all over the verses hahah. Definitely one of the best to ever do it though.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Nah... probably his worst album. I haven't listened to it for a long time, but I don't remember any of the tracks being particularly notable or good. :/
Oh iight good lookin.
Yea I have similar reactions to Lupe's stuff. Sometimes it's on point and brilliant and then other times it's almost brilliant but it just doesn't quite make sense and you can see he's just trying to be like "you get what I mean, right?" and those lines bother me.
If Lupe is making yall ponder then he is doing a good job :awesome:

And I agree that Big Pun had the best flow ever.

Others in the best category of flow-ers to me:

Nas
Kweli
Royce
(Old) Eminem
(Old) Jay-Z
B.I.G.

And I still can not for the life of me just let this ****ing issue go....

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95721

I think that this is more authentic than that tracklist I was handing out over the summer of I Am... originally being a double album when all honesty this list makes much more sense...

I wish that Nas would just like one day let everyone know what the **** it was.. lol

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Just listened to "Holy Are You"... it was a lot better than I remembered.

I think people were either way to positive or war too negative about Seventh Seal. Some people went crazy saying it was the best recent album just because it's Rakim, and other's criticized it for not being a Rakim-caliber album. While it's certainly not a great or Rakim-caliber album, I do feel that it was a solid effort and beats a lot of the mainstream trash out there (considering there's guys like Gucci Mane, Soulja Boy, etc.)

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Just listened to "Holy Are You"... it was a lot better than I remembered.

I think people were either way to positive or war too negative about Seventh Seal. Some people went crazy saying it was the best recent album just because it's Rakim, and other's criticized it for not being a Rakim-caliber album. While it's certainly not a great or Rakim-caliber album, I do feel that it was a solid effort and beats a lot of the mainstream trash out there (considering there's guys like Gucci Mane, Soulja Boy, etc.)
That particular song was good, rest of the album was trash.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I thought Holy Are You and Walk These Streets were good, and Dedicated and Documentary of a Gangsta were decent. Rest of the album wasn't good, but I felt those 4 songs were enough to make it a decent album.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
"It Won't be Long" was really good on Seventh Seal 4 me...I know it's like a black pride song and shiz but still dope imo.

Also AZ has one of the better flows ever imo. Listen to some of his earlier stuff like Doe or Die and the verse on Illmatic and see what I mean.

In fact the whole Firm was pretty dope flow-wise. Cormega and Nature could flow too.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
"It Won't be Long" was really good on Seventh Seal 4 me...I know it's like a black pride song and shiz but still dope imo.

Also AZ has one of the better flows ever imo. Listen to some of his earlier stuff like Doe or Die and the verse on Illmatic and see what I mean.

In fact the whole Firm was pretty dope flow-wise. Cormega and Nature could flow too.
True, very true. But as for Cormega and Nature I couldn't help but think they received a little help... lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Oh no doubt i'm sure Nas helped them a lot lol.

Some other rappers that probly got copied a lot were kool g rap, prodigy, and Raekwon pre-2000 era. Those 3 would come on a track and pretty much kill whoever else was on the track lmao.

Suspect

Smash Hero
I remember yall posting ya fave albums

mine in no order

Diplomatic Immunity
Food and Liquor
Gorillaz
Young Gunz-Tough Love
College Dropout

Jane

Smash Hero
omg, soooo much **** to reply to... X.x

i'll just post more music haha

2pac - until the end of time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uEtplq6CI

^love this song. very powerful. one of my favorite lines ever. "when my momma asks me will it ever change? i tell her yeah but its clear itll always be the same"
also, f*cking LOL at the second most liked comment.

busta rhymes - touch it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVwlK2aXlvc

^wtf?!? have yall heard this? busta is quickly finding his way into my top. goddamnnnn... he can do no wrong in my eyes.

Suspect

Smash Hero
did you seriously just ask if we have heard that busta song before? -_-

Daft punk ftw tho

but seriously, did you?

Suspect

Smash Hero
it was iirc. but i know that and the remix was on tv alot. I remember the remix holding the number one spot on 106 and park for a grip

Jane

Smash Hero
oh hahah. my b. all i watch on tv is sports, news, jersey shore, and comedy central :3

damn, i bet no one can match that combination of regular tv watching hahaha

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
oh hahah. my b. all i watch on tv is sports, news, jersey shore, and comedy central :3

damn, i bet no one can match that combination of regular tv watching hahaha
This is old as hell hahaha.

I remember after Touch It came out, I went to a Daft Punk show and they sampled that. So, they sampled Busta, who got the original sample from them, hahaha.

how about for an even older Busta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgEtUuEK-to my fav one

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
I think Kool G Rap might've been one of the best to ever do it...

I need more AZ in my life .-.
pushin on buttons

hittin on switches

my name is G rap, im on the road to the riches

but forreal tho

<33333 hip hop

EDIT: im seeing like opinons on who they think is the greatest alive

for me its def rakim hahaha

WHAT 9000?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!??!

Top Bottom