• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP3 Scores and Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
It's been two months? Remarkable. I say we celebrate by having bluezaft and poke be joint winners and start the next WWYP.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Even the WWYP thread turns into angry bickering after 2 months of inactivity (to the day, too). Hurryyyyyyyy.

EDIT: I agree with Virgilijus, but minus the part of me winning too. If we're going to throw out Scav's judging, I got 2nd fair and square. So yeah, let's do this.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Needless to say, I'm extremely unhappy with Scav. But I want his input, since there's a cash prize involved in this, and I think bluezaft is (very slightly) more deserving of that prize.

Dammit.

Today I'll think of some smaller contest that will be due at the end of the year or something. EE and I and a volunteer (we need three) can be the judges. I'm sorry I haven't done anything about this sooner, but I kept thinking "Any day now, Scav will have his scores ready..."

=/

Matt

Speaking of procrastinators!

I wanna keep with the formula of getting new judges involved with every competition. Judges/critics need to be cycled for reasons. Good reasons, probably.

Virge, you're hired. I'm still thinking of what to do for IV, though...

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, my enthusiasm for this contest has pretty much died. I forfeit whatever prize, if any, that I may have won to the next in line. I'm not assuming that I actually beat bluezaft. At this point it wouldn't bother me if I got dead last.

Now watch Scav post his scores tomorrow.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Does Redcell not want to be a judge?
Nah, I'd rather participate this time. Well, depending on what the contest is. I'm not good with short stuff, really, but I won't be that busy over the holidays.

And judging is way too much work. Zero fun, sir.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Not that busy, eh? Is there any chance I will see your assigned portion of our secret thing sometime soon? Feel free to work in that thing you worked out for it in PM, by deh way. You made me feel bad the way you described how I was stealing your time, but then that feeling elated when I read it. I think that's what being a sweatshop master must be like.

De_Le_Chozo

Smash Apprentice
where all bedlam breaks loose! either that or the
Here's a funfact for you guys that directly relates to what we're doing!
(in other words, I just wanted to post something.)

In my US class, we learned about this one guy who kept saying that the second coming of Christ. He kept saying that it would come on this one day, and it never did, so then he changed it to come on THIS day, and it never did, and as soon as you knew he was out of followers. His name was Miller, I can't remember his first name.
There's a small sect that survives to this day, the Seventh-Day Adventists. Wanna know their motto on Christ's 2nd Coming? Probaby not, but here it is: "It'll be right soon."

That's how I feel about this whole thing.
(Did I just use a reference to school? :shudder: I need your scores Scav!)

Matt

Verge, congrats! You get the job. I've thought of a little something. I don't know if you'll all like it, though, so I'll hold off on making the topic and share the idea here first:

I know we've already done something music related, but I've been hard at work lately on a music project and it's been a fun challenge. What I've been doing is rewriting key events in my life set to the tune of specific songs that I think really embody the event. For those who missed it when I posted it in the CM, this is what I'm talking about: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40713744/

The challenge is capturing the essence, the mood, the atmosphere of the song without being too cheesy. For another example (a much much better example, though a different medium), next time you're at the bookstore go to the comics section and find the Belle & Sebastian comic, in which there are little stories from various artists inspired by their songs. It's a concept that fascinates and inspires me, and I hope it does the same for you.

For shortness, I was just going to make a simple "must be less than 1000 words" rule, but don't think that makes writing these any easier! What it means is that every word will have more pounds per square inch, as my English professor always said. The right words make all the difference, especially when your focus is on creating a feeling.

Cool?

De_Le_Chozo: lol

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I like the idea (even though it treads a small border with WWYP2) as I am a rather visual listener. I also think it will be quite the challenge to get great characterization and plot along with all of the sensual aspects of the song into around 1000 words, but a good challenge none the less.

De_Le_Chozo: I remember seeing a report on that. On the day of "the Coming" they all sat around in lawn chairs in the guy's cove until early the next morning then shamefully walked back home. One has to wonder what was going through their minds the second time.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Let me get this straight, is it:

- A story that is under 1,000 words and you have to find music that matches the writing or...

- A story about a song?

Kragen

Smash Ace
It's both ;)

It's a story, max 1000 words, were the writing matches the song, the mood, essence, athmosphere of the song.

Take a gloomy story: make the/a character moody. Or make the environment moody, ie a rainy day.

Tetaway

Smash Apprentice
Since they still haven't finished this contest, I don't think they want to add more to their workload.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
It would be an even nicer thing to do if you guys left me a review on my story. I feel as though my work sucks without any kind of review or comment or nothing. Oh well, I am still going to continue the story anyway...

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
It would be an even nicer thing to do if you guys left me a review on my story. I feel as though my work sucks without any kind of review or comment or nothing. Oh well, I am still going to continue the story anyway...
I'll get to that Uncle Kenny. I've just been busy lately, but I plan on reading a bunch of stories in the Creative Minds section soon.

It doesn't help that your chapters are so long (which isn't a bad thing, it just fuels my laziness:) ).

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
So THAT'S what we're waiting for. I've been posting at the forums for about a month now-- even though I've been registered since Oct 2002-- and wondering why the hell they weren't starting a WWYP4.

Anyway, a pre-contest thing-- or whatever you'd like to call it-- would be awesome. I just think it'd be better for Scav to get his notes in so that we can have WWYP4 be held during winter break... it'd speed the process a whole lot more if the writers didn't have school to slow them down.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
S-C-A-V! Scav! Scav! Scav!

This feels like the pity clap we used to give at track meets to the fat kid that got lapped a couple of times.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
My scores are up, and Bluezaft is the winner. Barely :O

I'm really, really glad I didn't read this thread, at all. I'll talk about this more in the comments when I post them, probably tomorrow. I knew PKM and Blue's were really close, and while part of me wanted to give the edge to PKM, the reason I didn't was because I had a merlot moment. It's nothing you can control, PKM, but while reading your story, I got up to grab something, and I never came back to it. This actually happened to me 3 times. The ability was there, but something was lacking.

And sadly, it's even less fair when a magazine editor does it to you, and passes on your story because she got a glass of merlot, then passed on your story for one of the other 300 in her slush pile.

Once again, I'm blown away by what you all have done. WWYP4 is going to be splendid.

Also, your threads have been reopened. I'll go about bumping them tomorrow with your comments :)

smashman90

Smash Lord
Boy, did I learn a lot of things from this contest. Here's a list of some of them:

1. Typing stories on Wordpad is annoying.
2. Never pick an unfinished story and try to change it so that it can work in a contest.
3. I learned what a prompt is. (Stupid English teachers never telling me stuff like this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom