• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP4 -- One Man's Treasure (Deadline Feb 19th at Noon and Scav sucks again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I don't know, my story has the qualities of a fable or myth and it just doesn't feel right to tell it from the first person. I'll think about it though...maybe it will bring a little refreshment...

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
You never know what the outcome will be. Experimentation opens the door to a world of opportunities. Instead of using my same old boring style, I will be using completely different elements.

- The main character is female (kind of awkward since it is in first person PoV...).
- I will be using a different genre.
- First time using first person PoV.

There is no such thing as failure, only improvement. I stopped thinking about first place and began thinking about writing in general and do you know what I found out? I love it!

I can't wait to read all of your stories. Good luck everyone!

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Hmm...a trend? I've never written a story in first OR thrid person! There, I win. But I lose at the same time. =P

Skywalker

Space Jump
sounds like all the more reason to keep writing it in 3rd :)
Gah! It's REALLY difficult for me to write in 3rd person. Pretty much everything I've written so far on my entry has a clunky feel to it (as it's in 3rd person). I haven't worked on my story since the beginning days of this competition because of that problem. :(

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
WWYP isn't about winning, it's about improving ;) it's kind of like why we have prompts. Often, the only way to get better is to get out of your comfort zone.

Did you guys know Matt used to write low-brow cheesy fantasy exclusively? Imagine that!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Did you guys know Matt used to write low-brow cheesy fantasy exclusively? Imagine that!
I also remembered that he wrote a Fox fanfic that I use to liked, but he edited all of it out a year ago :(

Matt

Banned via Administration
Let me put it this way: we were all 13 once. I just happened to be 13 for 5 years.

EDIT: Yeah, I was embarrassed by it, in hindsight. I think I edited out my Zelda fic too, or not?

EDIT 2: Not! Darn, I should have kept the Fox fan fic up.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I'm glad to see everyone is getting more inspired to write.

Edit: YES! THANK YOU GOD! I finally have a story!

The character will be very developed and the storyline will be fairly interesting. Now all I have to do is go through the trouble of writing it. I'll make sure to make this an interesting story though. Most of the time I am lazy but I think I am going to really enjoy writing this. As for it being in first person, it still shifts to third person omniscient now and then to explain a situation better but most of it will be done in first person.

I feel good now. It took me forever to brainstorm this story. Again good luck to you all in the contest (especially you Xsyven since you don't even have one yet and I didn't forget you either Skywalker ;) ).

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Thanks, Kenny. xD

Scav said:
Often, the only way to get better is to get out of your comfort zone.
This is almost as bad as my theater class, when my proffessor made us do a drama on the brink of soap opera. Here's an example:

"Nina, I've cursed you, hated you, and torn up your photograph, but I've known every minute of my life that my heart and soul were yours! I can't stop loving you. I've suffered continually since I lost you, and since then, life's been almost unendurable. I lost my childhood then, and I seem now to have lived in this world for 90 years. I've called out to you, I've kissed the ground you walked on. Everywhere I look, your face is in my eyes. Nina... your smile brought me the best years of my life..."

Sure, this prompt isn't exactly as bad as this love confession, but still. Not my cup o' tea.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The love confession was limited to drama and drama alone. At least in the prompt, you can elaborate and choose whatever genre you want. It isn't that difficult to include a magic item. While brainstorming, don't even think about the prompt, just think about what story you could write and then try and find a way to work a magic item into the storyline.

It worked for me, but I don't know if it will work for you. Good luck regardless.

Edit: After a little research, I discovered that my story is technically in third person. Eh... I guess I will use first person in my next story.

Edit 2: Alright, NOW it's in first person PoV...

Ami

Smash Ace
Hnnn, I don't know if I'll be able to get a story up. I've been away from Smash Boards for who-knows-how-long (God does) because of stuff, so I might just read and comment on other peoples' stories.
But I still got to make a sig for WWYP4 (yay!).

Good luck to the writers!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I figured I'd throw in a friendly bump, since we're in a slow period ;) activity is always a good thing.

Apparently I have an idea for this contest. No, don't worry, I'm not eligible. But I'm going to have it done before the deadline, because deadlines are awesome that way.

Kragen

Smash Ace
I'm also working on something. I like how it's turning out, but being just halfway, at around 1500 words, progress is slow. Fingers crossed I get it done around this weekend, so you can comment (you would, would you?) it and I have enough time to improve it.

De_Le_Chozo

Smash Apprentice
where all bedlam breaks loose! either that or the
Oh god, I don't think I'm gonna make it. Lately, I've had to stay up til 3 in the morning just to catch up on my school crap. I think I have 1700 words, but the plot hasn't moved AT ALL.
Oh yeah, I have the same feeling about the third person stuff. When I experimented with it, all the narration sounded stiff and laundry listing (guy1 did this. and then guy2 did that. Also guy3 went over there and did this), but I dunno. It seems to be the direction my writing is going towards, so I'll see how that works out in the contest. IF I CAN MANAGE TO MAKE SOMETHING FOR THE CONTEST!!! Argh.
Anyways, this was sort of a reminder that I still exist on these boards and sort of a motivation to start shunning my homework to write.

Good luck guys!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Double post because I'm a total jerk.

Good news, everyone! Revolutions is graduating from Supermod to Superdupermod by agreeing to be the third judge. Lets all flog him with massive wordcounts!

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Woo!

The bad news is that after a semester of reading Wordsworth, Coleridge, Keats, and their peers, I'm much harder to please! Good luck impressing me, jerks. I'm classy these days.
I hope it stings your classy soul when you realize one of us unimpressive jerks will win!!! :laugh:

Man, I really have to start finishing up my story; I just keep procrastinating...

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
From 15-year-old amatuer to Hemmingway prodige...

Have you been drinking?
Maybe if you drank a few frozen Daquiris you'd be a little more like Hemingway! He drank like ten or twenty a day. It was the source of his writing power, along with a suicidal lineage. So man up!

Also, I think now would be a good time to mention:

1) My story has the best possible concept for any story ever.

2) I wrote like 150 words a week ago and haven't gotten any further since.

3) I have one week left to write my story.

4) It will take more than one week to write.

5) I get a week off school right after the deadline.

6) **** it.

7) Speaking of Wordsworth, I actually have to write an essay on The World is Too Much With Us, and I am procrastinating for it at this very moment. And it's already a few weeks late!

9) I have like four midterms next week, but I'm going to try to give my story top prority.

10) After I finish my essay!

11) And study for Technical Writing. And American Poetry. And Rhetoric.

12) Also I thought of another story idea, which is great because I haven't been very creative for a few months.

13) Also in anticipation of winning this contest I have known what prompt I will pick since before WWYP was announced to you plebs.

14) Although I haven't worked much on the story, I have thought of some great stuff to put outside the story (which I hope to be included as 'part of the story') inspired by one of the recent threads in CM.

15) Also after I post my story I will try to critique every other entry with a few days before the deadline. I will hope for reciprocation, however since I have a generous spirit you should feel no obligation to do so. Unless you bear any particular attachment to you loved ones and prefer your home and flesh unburnt.

16) After starting something in list form, it's really easy to keep going. Maybe you guys having trouble should write your stories with each paragraph as an item in a list.

17) THE END....Or is it? I'll give you a hint...

18) It's not.

19) STAY OUT OF CAVES!

20) Hey guys, I found this great cave we can hide in.

21) That was subtle foreshadowing about the nature of the magical object in my story.

22) Judges probably shouldn't read this:
It's a time machine.

23) Also, the genre of my story is
Romantic Comedy/Sci-Fi/Historical/Self-Help/Green World Comedy/Renaissance Literature/Sports Underdog Story/Bildungsroman.

24) Please sir Massa Scav, extend da deadline to like never oh my god.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Redcell, you're the best. I like to think that the tmw stands for The Men's Warehouse so I imagine you as being bearded and having a voice so deep and masculine that you'd make James Bond tremble (sexually!) from a mere manly sigh. I hope this is accurate! If not I'll be crushed forever because I can't stand being wrong about people I know on the Internet. >=(

Sittin' in the same boat as you. Thought of a great concept, wrote about a page down on paper, got caught up with school work. This is the way!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
If none of the former judges are able to finish a story except for EE, I'm going to giggle a lot.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
If none of the former judges are able to finish a story except for EE, I'm going to giggle a lot.
o.O

I didn't realize how close we are coming to the deadline...
I agree with tmw_redcell that the deadline should be extended,
but unlike him, I think that there should be a deadline.
Was that a contradiction?

あなたの印常にで

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I started writing my story again but I got too detailed so I derailed from my original storyline. Since this has happened, I have changed up the storyline a bit and the genre has switched (d*** first person PoV).

Anyway, I'll check out your story when you post it Redcell. And to please sheepyman, I will edit the story right now.

Edit: Twas editted.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I will finish my story, no doubts about it.

Currently, as I am finishing my optics homework, an estranged friend came over and convinced my roommates to do mushrooms with him tomorrow night and watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...:(

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I've got the entire story thought out, I just have to put it on paper.

Oh, and I will have a story for this contest. I mean it. No lie. I'm gonna have a story done. ****, I feel like the boy who cried wolf, but I promise I'll have something done this time because I've got a new strategy.

No matter how the story turns out, I'm gonna post it. No more perfectionism for me (well, maybe just a little perfectionism...)

Scav, you should make the deadline Monday. I think it's a holiday for most schools (it is for mine), so people will get a three day weekend to finish their stories.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Perfectionism is going to kill me. I have a really cool plot IMHO, and some pretty good characterization opportunities, but I have less than an intro written down. 0_0

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I've got the entire story thought out, I just have to put it on paper..
Famous last words for people who've requesting an Eorlinglashing. Start right now, you probably don't have as much thought out as you think. I know there's lots of micro-level stuff that can trip me up when I'm writing, even though I may have the events planned down to the subtle gesture and exact phrasing for all the dialogue.

I need some sort of Vorpal Blade of Menace + 35 (With 280% ED to Perfectionist-types) to slay my inner demon. That guy will seriously not shut up. All I can do is chant, "It's just a first draft, it's just a first draft!" but he screams "FIX IT NOW OR YOU'LL BE TEMPTED TO KEEP IT BY LAZYKIEL LORD OF SLOTH AND THE MIGHTY WRATH OF HIS VORPAL DISTRACTAMAJIG--MADE OF TELEVISION, FILM, INTERNET, AND TO A MUCH LESSER EXTENT SOCIAL INTERATION! :demon:" and I am left for dead at the crossroads of deciding if I need a dialogue tag or if it would be more profitable and less painful to pull my intestines out of my mouth for a hobby.

Also, yes Matt, I am frequently bearded and always have a bassy voice that matches the resonance frequency of all the sexy human body parts. And I've been waiting for a The Men's Wearhouse reference ever since they've had those ads with "tmw.com" as their URL.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Famous last words for people who've requesting an Eorlinglashing. Start right now, you probably don't have as much thought out as you think. I know there's lots of micro-level stuff that can trip me up when I'm writing, even though I may have the events planned down to the subtle gesture and exact phrasing for all the dialogue.

I need some sort of Vorpal Blade of Menace + 35 (With 280% ED to Perfectionist-types) to slay my inner demon. That guy will seriously not shut up. All I can do is chant, "It's just a first draft, it's just a first draft!" but he screams "FIX IT NOW OR YOU'LL BE TEMPTED TO KEEP IT BY LAZYKIEL LORD OF SLOTH AND THE MIGHTY WRATH OF HIS VORPAL DISTRACTAMAJIG--MADE OF TELEVISION, FILM, INTERNET, AND TO A MUCH LESSER EXTENT SOCIAL INTERATION! :demon:" and I am left for dead at the crossroads of deciding if I need a dialogue tag or if it would be more profitable and less painful to pull my intestines out of my mouth for a hobby.
I know exactly how you feel. My problem is is that I'm never satisfied with what I write. I'll write three pages of a story, hate it, and delete it. Eventually I just give up, knowing that I'll never write the story I want.

But that wont happen this time. I'm just going to keep writing, no matter what my perfectionism says. Because I know, deep down, that my story will be the best that I can make it. No matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom