• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Diddy Kong

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It always made me sad to sacrifice Yoshi on Butter Bridge to get to that secret exit. =(

*cough* Back on topic...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I think if you're having trouble with bananas in this matchup...

...take a day and learn how to DR...

...and then take a week and incorporate it into your game for just this matchup. Even if you have to make a separate control profile, just do it and it'll help you out immensely.

auroreon

Smash Ace

...and then take a week and incorporate it into your game for just this matchup. Even if you have to make a separate control profile, just do it and it'll help you out immensely.
QFT.
That monkey thinks hes safe glide tossing around like the rabid chimp he is... but little does he know that he's not the only one who can slide about with nannerz.
DR is invaluable for picking up those banannas, but its really hard to get it in with such a frantic matchup.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Whenever you are in the higher %. Just camp diddy kong. His Ko Moves are up air, Fair (which shouldn't kill you considering your great recovery and aerial speed), fsmash, dsmash, and bair (same for fair)

So basically F(d)smash, up air are his killing moves. Up air kills at 140-150sh%. So watch out for that. try not to get to high in the air, since diddy kong can easily glide toss bananas up to set up the up air. Try to stay a few yoshi lengths away when grounded. Diddy kong will not be able to follow up with anything if you space yourself well except dash attack and there are no follow ups with dash attack at that high of a %. dK might be able to grab you, but you shouldn't die from grabs until 180-190%.

Watch out for grab release and up throw though. Upthrow results into an up air. Grab release to dtilt to fair will kill easy if you aren't ready. Dtilt is not guaranteed but dont go to sleep on it. It's a quick move.

Remember you can get a lot of easy damage on diddy kong with the CG. If you camp like wario you can really annoy diddy kong and bait em. Play really patient and go aggressive occasionally. if you can get diddy off stage you're in a better position. Always always hug the stage whenever diddy uses the side B, but be careful not to get stage spiked. If diddy kong resorts to using the barrels stay on the ledge if you are on it and if you aren't use Dair. The hitbox lasts really long so it might deploy the barrels and he'll have a hard time recovering. Or you could also use down b on the ledge for invincibility frames.

Basics in this matchup.
Go for the pivot grab. CG is free damage. And refreshes your other moves by chewing. Usmash and up air are guaranteed after a CG!
Learn how to aerial camp. Stay in the air a lot.
Learn how to catch bananas with aerials and DR.
Get better DI. yoshi is a heavy and diddy kong has bad KO moves. A lot of Diddy Kong's matchups should be 70-30 but are 50-50/60-40 just because of bad KO moves.
Don't get gimped. Playing from behind is not something you want to do. You'll tend to be more aggressive and get banana combo'd for it.

bigman40

Smash Master
Basics in this matchup.
Go for the pivot grab. CG is free damage. And refreshes your other moves by chewing. Usmash and up air are guaranteed after a CG!
Learn how to aerial camp. Stay in the air a lot.
Learn how to catch bananas with aerials and DR.
Get better DI. yoshi is a heavy and diddy kong has bad KO moves. A lot of Diddy Kong's matchups should be 70-30 but are 50-50/60-40 just because of bad KO moves.
Don't get gimped. Playing from behind is not something you want to do. You'll tend to be more aggressive and get banana combo'd for it.
I have been working on aerial camping with Yoshi and I've found that staying on the ground is a little more affordable if you know how to fight back with the nanners. This can easily make the fight easier.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
If you think the match up is easy then your not playing good diddys. There is no way this match up is easy.
for sure it´s not easy, also because yoshi isn´t the best...
but there are harder matchups imo
i do often play against reaper´s diddy (he won the 2nd place at SMACK, he´s no noob x) ) and i have no big problems with his nanners-style
for sure it´s ***** when you get into one of those banana combos, but it doesn´t happen really often (well, it shouldn´t)
maybe i´m alone with this opinion, but i´ve got other mu-problems which are much harder for me...

and something else: sorry for my english >_<

EDIT:

qft

EDIT2: isn´t it possible to do something like this with the nanners?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GzdTccsYc8

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I dont think so. Diddy can Auto cancel his dair with a FF and has a Short hop perfect for it. Yoshi I think has an infinite with the bananas though.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I have been working on aerial camping with Yoshi and I've found that staying on the ground is a little more affordable if you know how to fight back with the nanners. This can easily make the fight easier.
You don't even know how gay yoshi will play when people realize he can aerial camp. He obviously isn't going to be as good as wario, but with a DJ cancelling aerial, eggs, and his great aerial speed, he can be one of the top 5 in the game.

Sorry double post.

D

Deleted member

No he really cant. SOrry, he doesnt have good fall speed, or a good downward hitting aerial.

Ive looked into making yoshi as gay as possible, he cant aerial camp too well(i only do it if i need to like calm down).

auroreon

Smash Ace
Faced a really great Diddy for a few friendlys and I have to say, DT is huge in this matchup. Its a frantic matchup so its quite hard to get DTs in, but most of the time I was in control of the stage was a sole result of DT. Without DR I think this matchup is in Diddy's favor, its easier for him to control the stage and against Diddy thats what its all about. With DR implemented very well (Im not quite at that stage yet), I think the matchup is pretty even.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: No jokes. DR is the way to go in this matchup. Same thing with R.O.B. to a much more limited degree.

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
I tend to use my b-throw chaingrab when he's at low percentages, then I'd use my grab-release chaingrab throughout the rest of the match. When that monkey starts flinging bananas everywhere, then I just aerial camp.

By the way, constantly jab cancelling Diddy next to his own banana(s) is very satisfying.

Krooton

Smash Cadet
Stay in the air to deal with the nanerz and try to use them against him. Kill him as fast as possible and watch out for his spike its nasty and breaks your second jump super armor. You can grab release chain grab this little monkey. He has everything yoshi has except for kill power, weight, and super armor. Abuse theses factors.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I find that the KEY to camping Diddy is to just stay right next to the ledge. If he hits you with a banana, you will simply fall onto the ledge. Stay near the ledge and egg toss, or stay close and ETS backwards so if you got hit with a banana you'd grab the ledge rather than trip. He can't combo you with Bananas, PERIOD. Just stay next to the ledge! It makes it SO much harder for him because he no longer can combo you!

Chaco

Never Logs In
*slaps table* I bring something new to the table!

Diddy won't want to mess with you after, you pull something like this.

Step One: Get a nana in hand.
Step Two: Grab and CG Diddy, preferably starting on near the edge.
Step Three: Continue until you get a about two Yoshi lengths from the edge.
Step Four: Release Diddy, and do a DJC Toss downward. This causes you to slide forward at a faster rate.
Step Five: Since you can attack directly from the slide do an Fsmash. Or also you can do the DJC Toss downward and do the low Uair.
Step Six: Taunt.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I find that the KEY to camping Diddy is to just stay right next to the ledge. If he hits you with a banana, you will simply fall onto the ledge. Stay near the ledge and egg toss, or stay close and ETS backwards so if you got hit with a banana you'd grab the ledge rather than trip. He can't combo you with Bananas, PERIOD. Just stay next to the ledge! It makes it SO much harder for him because he no longer can combo you!
knowing us edrees we'd probly just go peach xD
and chaco that sounds like a good idea, ill have to try it out sometime

Chaco

Never Logs In
I was testing it out a while ago and it works, and it can also work to reverse the CG since you can pivot during the slide. If your able to pick the banana up...in theory it could be an infinite.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Hm it really is.

That's what I was thinking, you'd have no way to pick up the nana again.

Metatitan

Smash Master
^
eh, sorta, our cg is really based on how well they button mash. our cg is only good for its grab releases, its virtually worthless aside from that (woo hoo, 3% more damage if they button mash right)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well if you can do the DT Releases it's more damage.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, if you DR to pick it up you won't have time to regrab.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh shaddup. That happens a lot, you get caught in the complex and forget the basics.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Can't you technically keep holding "A" after you pick the banana up, which would then let you grab? Isn't that how Link does that whole hold-a-bomb-and-do-a-smash thing? I mean, it's not practical unless you change your controls to have A on a trigger, but I think it can be done.

bigman40

Smash Master
Can't you technically keep holding "A" after you pick the banana up, which would then let you grab? Isn't that how Link does that whole hold-a-bomb-and-do-a-smash thing? I mean, it's not practical unless you change your controls to have A on a trigger, but I think it can be done.
No, when you grab, (even though the grab button can be itself) you're technically pushing Shield and Attack at the same time. That's why you always throw it whenever grab or attack is pushed.

you cant cg with a banana in hand nub. You cant grab with bananas
This man knows his ****.

Lol, why the hell didn't I realize that. XD
Cause you didn't try it lol. I knew it wasn't gonna work cause you always end up throwing nanners when anything that involves Attack is pushed.

Top Bottom