• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Ganondorf

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Well, I think because the angle can get nasty, it's important to be as close to the horizontal as possible.

It can make a difference.

Maybe.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I have siblings who are not smash idiots. I had one of them DI it.

Chaco

Never Logs In
My sister can play pretty well. She's not terrible.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Poltergust said:
D-smash off the ledge: Even if you could recover, it is not like Yoshi is just going to sit there. He'd d-air you or, if you make it past the ledge, u-air you.

Chain-grab to spike: We already agreed that it doesn't work.

Chain-grab to up-smash: Looks like it'd still work over the ledge. Also, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt for buffering it correctly.

D-smash in the center: Uh... d-smash is not a kill move. It's a utility move, nothing more. Yoshi still owns Ganondorf off-stage.
My comments.

Also, Egg Lay still works, and I think a dash attack off the ledge does, too.

bigman40

Smash Master
Oh yeah, to comment on the fact that you barely reached the ledge, and the stage from using both a DJ and an UpB means that any interference from us can practically say that your chances of recovering completely is greatly reduced. If you can Uair and/or Airdodge our gimping attempts, then I will say otherwise.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Funny if you aren't a part of these boards. Honestly Marik is just well..... dumb with matchups.
Or just trying to state bluntly Yoshi ***** the complete **** out of Ganondorf no matter what.

Just like everyone else in the game loooooooool.

And yes, I was being sarcastic about the matchup being 80:20, for those of you who can't detect sarcasm in my posts.

We have many approach options with the various Chaingrabs and assorted combo's/mindgames in place. Bair, Bair, Bair. FSmash, Uair, Dair, list goes on.

TL;DR Internet is serious business, and maybe 70:30 or 65:35 Yoshi's favour.

People arguing about semantics related to Ganondorf. He can't do anything against a Yoshi who knows his stuff. Honestly.

Perhaps I need to find that video of a Yoshi 5-stocking Ganondorf? Sort of makes my point clear.

*Edit* Holy crap, people need to take a joke once in a while. I'm usually serious in matchup discussions. But Ganondorf is soooo bad against Yoshi.

In other words, Marik tells haters to stfu. :)

Chaco

Never Logs In
One, that was horrid. The release area for a CG>Spike is not right on the ledge. It's a bit in front of it. If you don't do it there it ****s up completely.

Two, Dsmash. Even if you try to recover...we can gimp you/edge hog you/ and laugh at your lug ***.

Three, Usmash. Yoshi is sitting there for a good frame or two before moving. You're reaction has to be better if you're trying to prove us wrong.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Ok, Have fun with the match-up discussion. Ganon has options off the stage as well to fight back, but obviously you have it all figured out, so I will stop posting. All I was trying to do was prove it's not as bad as you think, but it seems I am wrong from your point of view so. Good luck!

If anyone is going to the midwest Championships PM me, I would love to play. Here is the thread for it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235197

Metatitan

Smash Master
Ok, Have fun with the match-up discussion. Ganon has options off the stage as well to fight back, but obviously you have it all figured out, so I will stop posting. All I was trying to do was prove it's not as bad as you think, but it seems I am wrong from your point of view so. Good luck!

If anyone is going to the midwest Championships PM me, I would love to play. Here is the thread for it.

I'm willing to not judge you as dumb based on your post count but you're making it really really hard :(

Chaco

Never Logs In
No, not until you forget to buffer a Usmash. If you do...*glares*

Chaco

Never Logs In
It's alright....we can't all be Furbs. Lol Furbs. You were expecting Bwett or ace, right? Right?

BTW, where has Furbs been. I miss his rainbow ***.

B0NK

Smash Lord

A BUFFERED CG to f-air, even right at the edge of the ledge, works. You didn't buffer the dash off the ledge.

Me and lil b just tested it.

Stop making false videos and should remove the video since most of it is wrong.

Depster

Smash Champion
Lol anybody who knows enough about smash will see that he didn't buffer that, so him leaving it up just makes him look dumb XD

Chaco

Never Logs In
He was to worried with proving us wrong to do it right.

K.Mac

Smash Lord
CG to spike still doesn't work whether you buffer or not, we've done frame testing.
Say what?

I 2-stocked a Ganon last night on Smashville... every KO I got was a CG spike.

It would have been a 3-stock but I tried one too early and the guy Up+B'd me into the underside of the stage and stagespiked me >_>

Metatitan

Smash Master
Say what?

I 2-stocked a Ganon last night on Smashville... every KO I got was a CG spike.

It would have been a 3-stock but I tried one too early and the guy Up+B'd me into the underside of the stage and stagespiked me >_>
He didn't DI then =/

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yeah, no Proshi would edgeguard like that. Dair would've messed Ganondorf up, every time.

Still, at least he tried. When did the Yoshi's get so godd@mn rude? >_>

auroreon

Smash Ace
Color me bias on this, but I believe this MU to be at LEAST 70:30 Yoshi.
I have never had any trouble against any Ganon I have ever faced, Yoshi shuts down anything Ganon does. Ganon gets pivot grabbed on most of his moves and then CGed... I'm not going to bother going into a lot of detail about every way in which Yoshi ***** Ganon... but I really feel this is very strongly in Yoshis favour.
If you really are having trouble against Ganon, consider that maybe the Ganon is just more skilled then you or knows the matchup better.
He can pose a threat if you don't know the effects or range of his moves, but after learning that you shouldn't be getting hit much at all.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Color me bias on this, but I believe this MU to be at LEAST 70:30 Yoshi.
I have never had any trouble against any Ganon I have ever faced, Yoshi shuts down anything Ganon does. Ganon gets pivot grabbed on most of his moves and then CGed... I'm not going to bother going into a lot of detail about every way in which Yoshi ***** Ganon... but I really feel this is very strongly in Yoshis favour.
If you really are having trouble against Ganon, consider that maybe the Ganon is just more skilled then you or knows the matchup better.
He can pose a threat if you don't know the effects or range of his moves, but after learning that you shouldn't be getting hit much at all.
You're not biased, just correct.

:082:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
TBH you'll be pretty hard-pressed to find a Ganon with lots of offline Yoshi exp... I really should fight Hadesblades one of these days since he lives in IN now.

I have some pretty decent experience, but I've never fought a Yoshi offline that I can't usually beat. From what I can tell, this matchup has the potential to be really really gay for Ganon though. Egg camping is brutal, and it's gonna be really hard for Ganon to beat Yoshi's pivot grab. In the air, Ganon needs to have pristine spacing to compete with Yoshi, though we do have it tougher in a few other matchups. The chain grab is pretty stupid, so Ganon's counterpick is important. Fortunately, Ganon survives very long in this MU, so expect to be dealing 500+ damage a match.

As far as on Yoshi's side of the matchup... I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone else. If you're up against a good Ganon, the general rule of thumb is to play as gay as humanly possible, especially if you don't have experience in the matchup. Don't pity the Ganon, or you'll be pitying yourself in the corner after you get knocked out of winner's by a Ganon. Never needlessly approach, because punishing approaches is Ganon's main source of damage. When you're offstage, be very careful about Ganon's reverse Uair... it is a semi-spike and can **** Yoshi up out of his second jump.

Ganon can also follow up a flame choke with a dash attack (which probably kills Yoshi at about 105% fresh, starting with the choke), as well as a Dtilt and Ftilt I believe. All of which are guaranteed. He can also tech chase and try for an Fsmash (roll behind or get up), Dair (get up attack--yoshi's GUA doesn't cover his top IIRC, so Dair is very effective), and Fair (roll away--ganon's sweetspotted Fair is as strong as his Fsmash). So don't be predictable.

That's about as much as I know about the matchup... I need to fight more good Yoshi's if I want to make any more in-depth statements about the matchup. I'd say it's around 25-75 in Yoshi's favor.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
It'd be nice to know what % Ganon's Uair breaks Yoshi's DJ armor at. I don't believe we have the data for Ganon yet, do we? I'd test it myself if I had a wii. ._.

What DLA said about playing as gay as possible is 100% true, for anybody who may not have known it before. Camping Ganon is very, very easy, and when he does approach, shutting it down is very, very easy. The CG just makes it worse. Despite this, it's important not to get complacent. Stay focused on not getting hit at all; if you just mindlessly go through the motions, he'll figure you out and potentially put you in a tough spot. For CPs, I would probably just ban Brinstar, simply because our 1-dimensional strategy doesn't really work there. From my experience, Ganon seems to like Norfair if it's legal, but as long as you watch for their side-B (if he catches you with it offstage and drags you into the lava, you'll get KOed and he won't), you'll be fine as long as you're comfortable with the layout of the stage. If you manage to lose a match, take him to like, RC or FD or something. IDK.

I've played Tero in tournament before, so he might have some things to add about this from Ganon's perspective, even though we only did Yoshi/Ganon for one match. We didn't get to play at the last tournament, but I want to get some more serious matches with him next time we're at the same tourney. (though I would never play this match-up properly in friendlies XD)

:008:

Airborne

Smash Lord
The one thing I'd like to mention about this MU right now is that the GR-> Usmash isn't really viable. I know Fonz preached about it back in the day, and he managed to fastfall and powershield before the Usmash came out on several occasions.

IMO, Fonz may have the most Offline Yoshi experience out of anyone since he used to play Nicalobe quite a bit and I played him about a year ago in about 30-45 minutes of friendlies at a tourny.

HOWEVER, most Yoshis have changed their metagame around quite a bit within that time (me especially, with all my ******** theories), so the MU is probably far more different than I recall. I've play Judo's roommate a lot currently, who mains Ganon, but I haven't really played the MU as well as I think I could.

Idk, my potential ADD is saying "b*tch, f*ck yo concentration" right now, so this may seem like a very random post. XD

Top Bottom