• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Samus [Summary Updated: 8/17/2009]

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I realized that when my friend tried it on me the first time lol. I had did it incredibly easy with Pika, but with Yoshi I never tried it.
It works. I haven't exactly played the best samus players with Yoshi yet, but it's not like good samus players can magically fast fall quicker. I'm able to punish the UP B about 50% of the time. But the punishment is a lot since you get in close and start a combo.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yoshi ***** samus.

Get at me Xyro.
Im 2-0 with samus in tourny, none of xyro calibur, and i probably will never play a top level one.

Id love to get some exp in it tho.
i would LOVE to play you. are you considered the best yoshi out there? or is that bwett?

id just do a samus ditto instead :D
OH PLEASE DO! its my fav/best match-up. I accept and have won ALL samus dittos MMs. Any amount is fine.

There is no way Samus ***** Yoshi.

You guys are taking your analysis from the -best- Samus main in the U.S.A. That's like saying "Mario ***** Yoshi because I played Boss."

True, she has insane projectile options that punish, and a nasty Zair. Yes, OoS UpB *****, but Samus has no KO power whasoever, and eggs and tilts **** her. ETS WILL help us out in this matchup.
All im saying is. Eggs can be power shield so easy a 3 year old can do it. Samus will be spending sooooo much time spamming her 3 KO moves(fsmash,d tilt, charge shot) will be fully refreshed.

Im not sayin yoshi can NEVER win this match-up but i DO think its in samus favor like 65-35

Metatitan

Smash Master
lol xyro id never ditto u in a MM, but id love to ditto u regardless. i dont think ill be going to texas anytime soon D:

D

Deleted member

i would LOVE to play you. are you considered the best yoshi out there? or is that bwett
Bwett and Green Ace are both better than me imo, but im pretty good, and id like to think im decent at this matchup.
Prove me wrong. :p
Socalll doooo eeet XD
I know id lose on wifi.

Btw marik, bwett is possibly the best yoshi, so why does Bwett losing to Xyro have no meaning?

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
\
Im not sayin yoshi can NEVER win this match-up but i DO think its in samus favor like 65-35
which is funny because when i play a non-chaingrabbing dedede you throw a hissey fit and get all mad

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Xyro, you can at least say, "No, I can't come to Florida Gaming" instead of ignoring me and asking someone else to fight you. :cry:

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
I don't have much experience about this match-up since there's only one Samus player in my area, so bare with me.

Yoshi's b-air can cancel most, if not all, of Samus' projectiles. I don't know the technical name of this, but doing a reverse egg toss after a b-air would be effective. The reverse movement would cause Yoshi to move back a little bit, which means you might be safe from Samus' incoming z-air.

Metatitan

Smash Master
naaaa u wouldnt be. nice to see a new face, but try lurking for a few days so u get a good idea about what goes on here :)

xyro if i ever had to face u in a tourny id go ddd just to be a ***** >:] (even tho i cant use him, but the learning curve is small so meh)

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Yah we played hacky sack and you seemed pretty cool. No matches though.
IM PREEEETY darn sure i played you, if not there must have been another sam sam, but I did play one unless im dreaming?

.Marik

is a social misfit
Btw marik, bwett is possibly the best yoshi, so why does Bwett losing to Xyro have no meaning?
Because Bwett may not be ths best Yoshi?

Last time I checked, Green Ace was. Tournament results prove he still is. Although Bwett may be tied, due to his amazing placing at WHOBO. But still, core gameplay>tech skill.

Or...Bwett doesn't have enough Samus matchup knowledge to prevent losing to the -best- Samus player in the entire world? As I said before, I don't think Samus ***** Yoshi to a degree where the matchup is 65:35 their favour. I never will.

I think it's 50:50. It's just that Xyro is ****ing beast. As I said before, that's like stating "Mario ***** Yoshi because I played Boss" or maybe even "Bowser ***** Yoshi because I played Gimpyfish."

Now Green Ace against Xyro. That would be kickass.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
IM PREEEETY darn sure i played you, if not there must have been another sam sam, but I did play one unless im dreaming?
People i played at nexus in the tourney= vids on dookdigity's youtube (*hint- search tudor in his vids).

Friendlies = Lovage (I love this guy), Connor, Mango, PsychoMidget (this guy let me sleep over <3), pretty much Palmdale in general, CubaisDeath, Ajax, Dsf,

all hella cool and i'm sure all ***** my face ^^

Edit- back on topic!

Samus can't Dair yoshi, makes the match up much harder for sure ^^

I would say it's in yoshi's favor.

Metatitan

Smash Master

Last time I checked, Green Ace was. Tournament results prove he still is. Although Bwett may be tied, due to his amazing placing at WHOBO. But still, core gameplay>tech skill.

Or...Bwett doesn't have enough Samus matchup knowledge to prevent losing to the -best- Samus player in the entire world? As I said before, I don't think Samus ***** Yoshi to a degree where the matchup is 65:35 their favour. I never will.

I think it's 50:50. It's just that Xyro is ****ing beast. As I said before, that's like stating "Mario ***** Yoshi because I played Boss" or maybe even "Bowser ***** Yoshi because I played Gimpyfish."

1. green ace openly admits he and bwett are equals
2. bwett has plenty of matchup knowledge on samus
3. u dont have matchup knowledge on samus so u can't go saying bwett doesn't know what hes talking about

@ tudor, u can dair him actually if u read his egg toss recovery :)
but ur main kill move from what ive seen is charge blast (hurray for us having a crap shield -_-)

Depster

Smash Champion
Just as long as you don't let the samus cp a stage like BF you should be fine!

The samuses I've played like to get me above them for some up b, which seems stronger in this game IMO than it has before.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: 64 Samus Up+B >>>>>> any other variation

This Up+B, however, is pretty potent and can be pretty tough when you can't DI out properly.

Depster

Smash Champion
Yeah I guess you're right. I can't seem to get the DI for the move though, so I always get stuck in it...

Metatitan

Smash Master

i dont put words in your mouth, u said flat out that u dont think bwett doesnt know the matchup. he plays xyro a lot from what ive heard from both xyro and bwett. point being, bwett is one of the two contenders for top yoshi, and xyro is one of the two contenders for top samus. they both ****, but samus ***** yoshi in the end

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
I think Yoshi has a slight disadvantage here due to the projectiles that Samus has. Yoshi is also outrange by her grab and some attacks

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I will sumbit that the only projectile Yoshi should be fearing at all is the Charge Shot (of any level).

One of Yoshi's best properties is that he doesn't have to evade projectiles like a good portion of characters; most of his moves cut right through projectiles of all sorts and some of those moves are incredibly safe to use while moving to avoid getting baited into opposing setups.

I will agree, however, that Samus' grab, especially her pivot grab, and the range of her massive up tilt and up aerial are very very good in this matchup.

D

Deleted member

Yeeaaa after playing xyro my opinion changed completely.
Charge shot *****, yoshi gets stuck in his shield and gets ***** by a lot of stuff. Samus beasts offstage.
That said, samus is easy to combo and eggs can be applies liberally when samus is not on the ground.
i agree with xyro 35:65.
You gotta experience the **** haha.
We filmed some, in decent wifi (it was enough to get the jist of the matchup), so itll be up tomarrow.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'd like to fight Xyro on Wi-Fi, too... =/

Even if it is Wi-Fi, if the match-up is what you guys say it is then it should at least be slightly apparent...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yeeaaa after playing xyro my opinion changed completely.
Charge shot *****, yoshi gets stuck in his shield and gets ***** by a lot of stuff. Samus beasts offstage.
That said, samus is easy to combo and eggs can be applies liberally when samus is not on the ground.
i agree with xyro 35:65.
You gotta experience the **** haha.
We filmed some, in decent wifi (it was enough to get the jist of the matchup), so itll be up tomarrow.
I'd like to fight Xyro on Wi-Fi, too... =/

Even if it is Wi-Fi, if the match-up is what you guys say it is then it should at least be slightly apparent...
poltergulst. lets go. AIM me at xyro77

Burnt Socks(yoshi) VS Xyro(samus)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOunS0ZnscQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGXt53AjRtU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWB_fVPbZ2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFJNYlss8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFQ8gvDi2qg (i get *****)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
OK, going on Meebo now! (AIM is blocked on my computer. I have to use Meebo to access it. =P)

Top Bottom