• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Samus [Summary Updated: 8/17/2009]

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
ok im fighting polt. its wifi so it doesnt mean much but ill put up vids

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Sometimes, I regret do the music swap on my wii cuz now, I can't do wifi (unless with full cooperation on both sides). For me to play wifi, I have to set all songs sliders for the songs I swapped in My Music down. Then my opponent would have to slide down all the sliders for the corresponding songs that I swapped (which I would tell them which song to switch). I'd rather not put others through all the hassle.

bigman40

Smash Master
Sometimes, I regret do the music swap on my wii cuz now, I can't do wifi (unless with full cooperation on both sides). For me to play wifi, I have to set all songs sliders for the songs I swapped in My Music down. Then my opponent would have to slide down all the sliders for the corresponding songs that I swapped (which I would tell them which song to switch). I'd rather not put others through all the hassle.
get the hacks to reset your music then.

Metatitan

Smash Master
couldnt u just play without hacks? or u could delete your hacks on your sd card, and recode it for only replay hax or texture hacks

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
i would if my cpu had an sd card slot. i did my music swap on my friends computer while at college, and i'm on summer break

anyway, its on me, so i can't really get mad

Metatitan

Smash Master
looks like u screwed urself over then xD. try asking another friend if u can use their computer. or just take ur sd card out and play the normal way

Xyro77

Lol polts gonna get *****.

ok i just played him. it was 4-3(i won majority). Its obvious hes spams ALOT(cant power sheild online) and plays wifi MUCH more than me( i dont play it unless im challenged). Hes not bad at all fo ra wifi yoshi.

vds will be uploaded tonight and posted tomorrow

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, I'm still not convinced of 35:65. It's just too ridiculous for me. 50:50, maybe. =/

Metatitan

Smash Master
well considering that stocky, bwett, and xyro all believe its 35:65 samus, 35:65 it shall be. someone write a summary of the matchup

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Nice.

P.S. - Sockz, is there a reason you down throw against floaties? Just wondering, since I saw you do it a bit in your videos.

Xyro77

i wrote a article on yoshi vs samus in the samus boards a while back. Bwett and furbs jump in and said a piece aboout it.

the only REAL trouble that samus gives yoshi is how well she can shut down his approach

also how good xyro can spam :p
Good summary, you've got it down for the most part. I didn't know bair goes through missiles and charged shot lol.

I'm thinking it might closer to 65:35 though. Samus' spam game is amazing and can shut down Yoshi completely. You use missiles to force the SH bair and punish the bair with zair. Not only that but Yoshi has no other options. If we jump above you, your uair beats our dair. If we shield, we will take insane shield pressure and are force to either spotdodge and get grabbed or roll and take a charged shot. (Which btw, Xyro, you suck for being so good at shield pressure lol)

Of course, if Yoshi gets in, then you will take large amounts of damage, but Yoshi takes insane damage trying to do so. If Yoshi does get in,

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Wait, so my opinion doesn't matter?

I feel like we're are playing against Samus the wrong way. Looking at what I've seen of Sockz vs. Xyro, it seems that he was trying to outcamp her. Now, call me crazy but I don't think that camping is the way to go in this match-up. Getting up-close and personal seems to give Yoshi a better chance.

I believe that we should discuss this more.

D

Deleted member

To be honest i dont play floaties very often(unless u consider marth a floaty), and if youll see the second video ( o god dont watch the first one), it works. Yoshi does excellently when the opponent is above him anyways.

Metatitan

Smash Master

I feel like we're are playing against Samus the wrong way. Looking at what I've seen of Sockz vs. Xyro, it seems that he was trying to outcamp her. Now, call me crazy but I don't think that camping is the way to go in this match-up. Getting up-close and personal seems to give Yoshi a better chance.

considering ur better online than xyro, not really =/
honestly for online, the perfect demonstration would be xyro vs burntsocks. neither of them is good on wifi, they are both top users of their mains and they learn quickly.

For offline, the perfect demonstration would be bwett vs xyro. Both agree samus ***** yoshi. Enough said.

Xyro77

all im sayin is. Wifi give you distorted views of whos better than who. I cannot powershield online. which means it restricts my style. I cant missle cancel perfectly on wifi so it restrics my style. Im retricted ALOT. i guess the same could be said for you so lets ignore wifi then eh? Go by what bwett says. 65:35.

Metatitan

Smash Master
all im sayin is. Wifi give you distorted views of whos better than who. I cannot powershield online. which means it restricts my style. I cant missle cancel perfectly on wifi so it restrics my style. Im retricted ALOT. i guess the same could be said for you so lets ignore wifi then eh? Go by what bwett says. 65:35.
perfectly said. how about go by what EVERYONE says? 65:35 samus

D

Deleted member

I wasnt trying to outcamp xyro at all.
You see, the 5 we filmed werent the first we played. We played a bunch before. I was trying to get up close, but without being dumb. I was told that your matches were very laggy. I was constantly going in with air dodges, and putting on as much pressure as i could with jab cancels and bairs. Xyro was making it very dangerous to approach, and putting a lot of his own midrange pressure with charge shots and zairs, and approaching all the time when xyro can punish every approach is not always the best move.

Samus often lives to 180+ and though yoshi does too, he can get gimped rather easily(altho i know some of the gimps shouldnt have happened), and samus can approach much more easily for a kill.

Metatitan

Smash Master
To be honest i dont play floaties very often(unless u consider marth a floaty), and if youll see the second video ( o god dont watch the first one), it works. Yoshi does excellently when the opponent is above him anyways.
lies. pure lies. u play mah jiggs all the time <3

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Wait... the matches weren't laggy (of course, since I play Wi-Fi so much it's hard for me to notice input lag). And I think that Xyro never lived past 150% against me (I need to watch the videos to make sure).

You are right about one thing, though. Samus has an easier time gimping Yoshi than most characters (the only other characters that I can think of that have an easier time are DK, Marth, and... Yoshi :p).

...I have an idea. Apparently, the methods that you used on Xyro weren't effective, right Sockz? (at least on Wi-Fi) Let's take a look at what I did once the videos are uploaded. Maybe we're missing something that makes this match-up more even.

You said it yourself that the ratio would be apparent even in Wi-Fi, and it's apparent to me that it's even.

D

Deleted member

Xyro told me it was very laggy, and that he couldnt dodge stuff. The reason he probably wasnt surviving was because it was too laggy to dodge/airdodge.

Apperantly, ill see for myself once the vids are up.
I know yoshi. I know what methods work and what dont. I dont know the matchup too well, but i used what i can think would be some of the safest stuff to use against a character like samus. I learned some things that i did wrong, and i know theres still more, but i am positive i wont get anything out of your matches that i havent gotten from playing/watching my mistakes.

Xyro77

they have been processed through dazzle and are now uploading on youtube. in the morning(4am central time) they will be ready to view.

its 65:35. its no big deal. yoshi is an over all better char than samus. You guys can afford to lose a low tier fight here and there. ROFL.

Since i dont do wifi, it looks like its 50 50 against some one who DOES do wifi. Just think if i played wifi alot....dear god i would **** yoshi nearly as bad as i do offline.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
*sigh* I give up. =/

Unless I can beat Xyro in-person (and hopefully we will fight in-person one day), it seems that I can't convince anyone.

D

Deleted member

If you want to convince, gimme some good arguments. The fact is, furbs and bwett got ***** offline, i got ***** in decentish online, and you lost in laggy offline. Obviously xyro is a great player, but i rarely get 2 stocked even against top players, and its not like i didnt figure out what to do, its just, theres not that much to do.

Xyro77

they are done earlier than i predicted. again, i dont play wifi so i apologize if i look sloppy. If some of these matches have bad quality, give them 10min, they are still uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUF-a0npBUo (he wins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsB3Lo-bMAQ (he wins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1UIcAwZl-Y (i win, odd stage spike!!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0O1cRO-YkY (i win)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC5NUbodjM0 (i win, 2 stock)
The next match froze at results screen................... (he wins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_XwyFlU22k (i win, GREEN GREENS *****!!!!)

Over all, after playin bwett/furbs offline and playin burt socks/poltergust online, the fight is 65:35 in samus favor. IMO i feel the book can be closed on this match-up.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
i agree though, if a samus doesn't know the matchup they'll get *****. most don't understand the importance of spam and up-b out of shield in this match lol

Crystanium

Smash Hero
i agree though, if a samus doesn't know the matchup they'll get *****. most don't understand the importance of spam and up-b out of shield in this match lol
I don't think it's the spam and Up+B OoS, really. Maybe it is. :laugh: I fought this one Yoshi main, and I had to literally spam and camp just to win. I didn't know the match-up, because I don't play Yoshi mains. He didn't like me after. :laugh: It's Yoshi's b-air that gets to me. It's a bit daunting when he's approaching you with b-air and coming in quick. You're thinking to yourself, "What the heck? How am I supposed to stop that?" Oh, and I hate jab, jab, grab. :mad: It just comes to show you how important it is to know every match-up. :)

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yeah, I'm still not convinced of 35:65. It's just too ridiculous for me. 50:50, maybe. =/
Same here.

well considering that stocky, bwett, and xyro all believe its 35:65 samus, 35:65 it shall be. someone write a summary of the matchup
No. What don't you get? Xyro=/= other Samus players. Xyro *****. Not everyone has that skill level. That's like saying because Gimpyfish ***** Yoshi with his Bowser, and Boss ***** Yoshi with his Mario. But, that doesn't mean the characters do overall, just because VERY good players ***** unsuspecting Yoshi's. It's obvious the matchup isn't 35:65 Samus's favour. Yoshi players, you actually believe that? I think it's bull****. 50:50. Perhaps 55:45, because Samus can shut down much of Yoshi's approach game. But up close? Samus gets murdered.

perfectly said. how about go by what EVERYONE says? 65:35 samus
AFFFFFFFFFFFJKJSKHKFJ;KF

A Samus main without match-up experience against Yoshi like me would likely lose.

Xyro *****.
Quoted for truth. The same can be applied to us, which is obviously what happened.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
No. What don't you get? Xyro=/= other Samus players. Xyro *****. Not everyone has that skill level. That's like saying because Gimpyfish ***** Yoshi with his Bowser, and Boss ***** Yoshi with his Mario... doesn't mean their characters do overall, just because VERY good players ***** unsuspecting Yoshi players. It's obvious the matchup isn't 35:65 Samus's favour. Yoshi players, you actually believe that? I think it's bull****. 50:50. Perhaps 55:45, because Samus can shut down much of Yoshi's approach game. But up close? Samus gets murdered.
Match-ups are reflective of how two characters fare in battle at their highest possible levels of play. Since Xyro's experiences with Furbs and Bwett are reflective of this, it's pretty accurate to assume that the match-up is 35:65/:samus2:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is why I don't like ratios. :D

Let's focus on the aspects of the matchup and the stages it can be played on, ladies. :D

.Marik

is a social misfit
Match-ups are reflective of how two characters fare in battle at their highest possible levels of play. Since Xyro's experiences with Furbs and Bwett are reflective of this, it's pretty accurate to assume that the match-up is 35:65/:samus2:
Slightly. Ratios also reflect how disadvantaged/advantaged a character may seem in a given matchup, at the highest levels of play. Xyro hasn't played Green Ace, so I don't think it's 35:65. Samus isn't THAT hard. Characters like Marth and Falco **** us that hard.

Let's focus on the aspects of the matchup and the stages it can be played on, ladies. :D
Awesome. Great idea.

Airborne

Smash Lord
No. What don't you get? Xyro=/= other Samus players. Xyro *****. Not everyone has that skill level. That's like saying because Gimpyfish ***** Yoshi with his Bowser, and Boss ***** Yoshi with his Mario. But, that doesn't mean the characters do overall, just because VERY good players ***** unsuspecting Yoshi's. It's obvious the matchup isn't 35:65 Samus's favour. Yoshi players, you actually believe that? I think it's bull****. 50:50. Perhaps 55:45, because Samus can shut down much of Yoshi's approach game. But up close? Samus gets murdered.
the fact that bwett has faced xyro on several occasions and gets his *** *****, but faces DSF and manages to take a game off of him.

.Marik

is a social misfit
the fact that bwett has faced xyro on several occasions and gets his *** *****, but faces DSF and manages to take a game off of him.
Because he's more familiar with the MetaKnight matchup. Not saying Bwett is clueless, he's very informed about using Yoshi.

But, if perhaps he played differently? Maybe if he didn't play the BEST Samus out there? Maybe the results would be somewhat different.

I still think it's 55:45, or 50:50. But, enough with ratios?

Metatitan

Smash Master
Because he's more familiar with the MetaKnight matchup. Not saying Bwett is clueless, he's very informed about using Yoshi.

But, if perhaps he played differently? Maybe if he didn't play the BEST Samus out there? Maybe the results would be somewhat different.

I still think it's 55:45, or 50:50. But, enough with ratios?
what you don't understand is that xyro has played a decent variety of yoshi mains. 2 of them top yoshi mains at that (bwett and burntsocks). what you need to realize is that bwett has a large amount of experience in this matchup. he and furbs wrote summaries on the matchup. They included details about why yoshi cannot outcamp samus and why he cannot approach her. every person (aside from polt who played xyro in really bad wifi) agrees it's 35:65. you don't know the matchup as well as bwett so don't try and discredit him. not to mention neither you nor poltergust or ANYONE has mentioned a good way to approach samus. all u talk about is what we can do when we got past her defense. how are u gonna get past her defense? do tell

As for stages, halberd is probably the best way to go considering yoshi can actually approach samus there. Delfino works too, but it can be a tad risky because of the water (as if her spike wasn't good enough). brinstar might work out surprisingly, just a theory tho. norfair- i have no idea. they both have amazing ledge games but yoshi's killing capability with uair might help him a lot on that stage. green greens is probly a good way to go against samus if its not banned. she cant really camp u that hard on it and the blocks can stop her zair. Rainbow cruise might work too

D

Deleted member

Marth doesnt **** us, neither does falco.
Samus is probably a little worse for us than both of them.

Xyro said that he cant beat bwett or furbs on delphino, so thats probably our best bet.

Why are you so stubborn on thinking that green ace is by far the best dude? We dont even know, cuz different regions=different competition.

IM NOT GOING OFF EXPERIENCE. The experience gave me the knowledge on samus and what beats what. The knowledge is what im using to determine the matchup. Just because xyro ***** us all doesnt mean that the matchup isnt even. Its because on paper, and in practice, samus shuts us down hard.

Top Bottom