• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZGD: Livin by a thread.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Okay, now I have time to give my profile information!

Your Smash Name: HSS or Half, depending on the day
Where you live:Finland
Tournaments you play in normally: I don´t know any tournaments around here
Color costume you use: Blue
If you use Sheik and what your secondaries are: I don´t use Sheik, but I use many other characters. Propably the best one after Zelda is Mario.

Is that all, or did I forget something?

Bandit

Smash Lord
You have been added! Thanks for the info.

I'll be going to ChuDat's Thanksgiving Special Bi-Weekly (long title, I know) tomorrow. I'll be brave and be the first to voluntarily give my tourney placings. I will admit they will probably suck, but I don't care because it should motivate everyone else to start posting their results. Everyone can watch my tourney placings get better every tournament (that's the plan) so that is fine with me.

I am trying to find a nice heavy character to team with. I'd love to team with a snake, but I doubt that will happen. We'll see though.

Villi

Smash Lord
I'm going for singles tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck. Repping Sheik/Zelda for this one.

D

Deleted member

yea i'm going to a tourney tomorrow, i'm only going to use zelda and peach

i usually rep link but i need to get off that inactive list lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Good luck Villi and Arkive. Feel free to ****, Zelda needs to get some points on Ankokus list.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I live in Atlantic South. I suppose me and Scary are the only southern Zeldas, if Aeyr has quit.

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
My name is Dayzin
I live in Ontario, Canada
Haven't played in any tournaments yet but I will eventually
I always use the green costume
And my secondary is king dedede

oh ya and I play against Wolfblade-All of the pokemon tier and fox, And against Jhin- Sonic and Wolf

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who likes to use pink? ._.

GL to all tourney goers. :D

D

Deleted member

well my tourney experience was total trash T_T

first match - first round zelda vs G&W, gayest match up since falco vs link, i get destroyed because of bair spam and i was playing like a scrub. second & third round i switched to link but the first match ended up pissing me off so much i started playing extremely badly and i totally forgot all of my prior tourney exp against G&W.

note to all: once you lose your cool you lose the match, so keep calm.

second match - vs MY BROTHER...i gave him a bye meaning i was knocked out of the tourney

me and my brother did place 3rd in teams though (zelda + ness team = ****)

i was playingl ike such a scrub today, i'm deffinitely going zelda my next tourney just to redeem myself T_T

Villi

Smash Lord
I use pink Zelda :)

I got to the third bracket where I lost to Meep. LMAO geez. :embarrass

Then some bull **** happened against this MK in loser's where I lost the first match cuz my finger slipped to make me up b (Sheik) off the stage instead of an aerial and I got edge hogged at 26%. I beat him second match with a 2 stock and then banned Halberd and got taken to Luigi's Mansion where he tornado spammed me. -_- I got him to last stock at kill percent though. *sigh* I can't believe I didn't think to ban Luigi's Mansion.

Other than that, friendlies were awesome. This is my first tournament repping Sheik/Zelda and I have to say I was doubtful that they were truly better than my Peach when it came down to it. My crew was kind of disappointed when I decided to bring Sheik/Zelda since I actually placed as Peach, but, I definitely have much more confidence in the duo now.

Everyone I played said I had a good Zelda and complimented my Peach. Sheik did a good job racking up damage for the most part, but a lot of my approaches and follow ups were getting shut down vs Marth (couldn't follow up any throws cuz of fair or find any openings to ftilt) and Kirby (bair and fsmash) so I ended up using only Zelda after my first stock to win those. Sheik/Zelda rules Peach tho. :3

Anyway, Zelda is fine in tournament play it seems. I wasn't able to land as many LK's as I like, but thassok. I landed a ledge warp LK tho. heh Sheik needs work in finding safer approaches and landing more ftilts. And uh, can't be shy about the needle camping.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Good **** to the 2 other Zeldas out there repping in tournament play. Sorry Arkive about running into a GW that early. Villi... I'm sorry but that is just funny as hell. You will take him one day.

I played Hat first round, a Kirby (3rd Kirby main in a row, officially allowing to me face all the Kirby mains in my region except Gonzo and Chu in tournament play). I played him real tough on smashville finding my nairs and dtilts were able to control a lot of his approaches, but the little puff ball pulled out the win in the end of a close match.

I took him to Brinstar for my counterpick (for all who doesn't know, Luigi's is banned in my region, so I have to be creative with my counterpicking). It is a terrible Kirby stage, which I hope for, but he switched to G&W. I had no idea he even used G&W but later found out he's been working in G&W and Snake to cover some match-ups he doesn't like. I switched to Marth and took 2 of his stock before I died. I found this very comforting since I have been playing Marth for a little over a week and did fairly well using him in tournament (I suck with him but I just use him in this match-up).

Next up was a Fox main NKB (NeverKnowsBest). I don't think we have covered this match-up but it is no walk in the park. We ended up at smashville (he banned battlefield and I banned Yoshi's) to start and it was apparent from the start that the only way he could kill me was with Usmash... only it kills at like 80-100. Another close match, but I fell again.

I took him to Brinstar, and he was completely at a loss with how to deal with me. He couldn't laser spam and he was getting ***** on the bottom platform. I tried to camp the left side platform and shield his approaches. He ended up on the top platform to avoid me and died 3 times to Uair. It worked to perfection.

Unfortunately, he then took me to FD (I now see I should've banned this). Laser spam is what I expected, and it was I got. I had to purely approach in the air while avoiding the monster Usmash. Once he got me into kill range, I would bait him to hyphen smash and NL or FF dtilt. It worked fairly well, but with us both in kill percents, he shielded my fresh Usmash and took me out with his while I was still in move lag.

All in all, it was still a great tournament and there was a ton of talent there. I got to play a set or two against Rykoshet as he came down from NY with Inui and Atomsk. His Ike is very solid and each game was very close. My teammate and I (a ZSS) had never teamed before and it took a set to get in sync. We ended up 13th, but it could be a lethal team as we really started to roll in the later matches.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207991

Seriously check out the talent that was there. Monster packed tournament.

(Was down there VV) Updates!

Slyfer and Mocha have been added to Atlantic South
Villi was moved to tournament players.
ArkiveZero was marked active.
Updated the match-up section.

Oh yeah...

100th Post for the Community Center!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Update info does not warrant a double post...

Bandit

Smash Lord
Zelda Needs a Teammate

It has been pointed out to me, as well as my belief, that Zelda might be the ultimate teammate in Smash. She has a projectile that can be fired from behind her teammate without causing harm to them. Zelda can be the damage racking teammate that sets up the kills for her teammate; she can be the assassin on the team (or finish off her own kills).

Zelda has incredible flexibility in teams that allows her to team with almost every kind of character in the game. I'd like to take this time to figure out who is the best character for her to team with. I will get the ball rolling by talking about a few types of teammates.

Stock Holder - This is a heavy teammate who is not killed easily. ROB is an example of this category along with Wolf. ROB can escape problems off the ledge while still firing projectiles into the fray. The stock holder could be a damage racker or an assassin depending on the kill power of the character.

Assassin - This is the killer of the team. Snake is a good example of this category. When opponents are in kill range, generally, this teammate will provide the kill for the team. If you aren't sure who is an assassin, then watch some team matches and see which character has the most kills at end of match screen.

Zelda becomes the damage racker on this team. She will take on the opponents and control them while setting them up for her teammate.

Damage Racker - This is the teammate who is responsible for controlling the opposing team and bringing them toward kill range. Sheik is an example of a character of this category.

Zelda becomes the assassin on this team. Generally, she stays behind her teammate throwing Dins and looking for openings to land a powerful move on her opponent.

It isn't this cut and dry, but these are just general strategies to think about when picking your teammate. My experiences with teammates are with the following characters.

Toon Link
- Team Wall of Spam - Toon Link is the damage racker of the team while Zelda is expected to hold stock and kill. It is a very defensive team where Toon Link fends off the other team while Zelda sits behind him throwing her own projectiles. It is difficult to approach this campy style for Dins can punish anyone who starts to get inside Toon Links 3 projectiles. The team has its weaknesses like holding stock. Neither of the characters is particularly heavy, and you may find Zelda in the fray more often than you would like. Just remember, this is a defensive team.

Lucario - Red vs Blue - Red aura and blue aura come together for a strong team. Lucario can damage rack and kill since the more damage he has the stronger he gets. Zelda can do both roles well too allowing a lot of flexibility in this team. I have found Lucario usually holds the stock in this one as the player is used to playing at the higher percentages, but it works better if Zelda is the main stock holder. If you get people off the ledge, Lucario can aura ball spam while Zelda Dins over top. This is very effective. I personally found this to be a good team on paper, but had problems creating teamwork with Lucario. He is usually in their face and being very aggressive resulting in you hitting him as well.

ZSS - Electric Fire - I got to play with a ZSS in my last tournament and had a ball playing with her. ZSS kills vertically so well, so it leads to Zelda knocking the opponent up and ZSS finishing them off. There was a situation where ZSS was behind me and side B'd to hit the opponent in front of me. I spot dodged and they took the hit; it was the opposite style I expected to play since Zelda is usually behind her teammate. Zelda was holding the stock on this team, and there is a lot of teamwork available. ZSS can stun opponents leading to easy smashes or tilts from Zelda plus dins can be landed on several opponents right after they are hit with her sideB. It was a great team that seemed to work well.

Snake - Raw Power - I don't have too much experience with this team, but it can be very deadly. Both characters kill so well and Snake holds stock big time. If Snake needs to recover, dins is a safe way to help your teammate should they be grabbed or attempted to be gimped while recovering. If Zelda scores a grab, she holds the opponent so far out that Snake has an easy time Utilt them. It seems to be a fantastic team that has been used before. PC Chris and DarkMusician teamed and went undefeated en route to the championship.

Now, I want to hear what the Zeldas think. Who is her best option for a teammate?

Rhaz

Smash Rookie
I guess I had to come out from lurking sooner or later~

Rhazia
Brantford, Ontario
I'm a casual player. I haven't been to a tournament since Melee
I mostly play against Snake, Falco and ICs
I use pink Zelda
My secondaries are Sheik and Marth

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Metaknight?!

Edit: Oh and I think it is possible for Zelda to land a fair/bair if ZSS stuns an opponent?

Bandit

Smash Lord
@Rhaz

Wow, I'm glad my thread could pull a 2 year lurker out of hiding! Welcome to the community and I hope you start to contribute. We'd like to hear from you.

@Oh Snap

I don't think metaknight makes a good teammate unless he is teamed with Snake. Metaknight is a 1v1 type of character that is good on a team where both players can hold their own. With Snake, MK can be tagged with C4, MK then grabs the opponent, UThrow, and Snake detonates the C4 at the top of the UThrow for a 0% kill. I saw it work very effectively (aka the Omni Gay).

ZSS stun to LK I am pretty sure is something we did. My teammate stunned the opponent (who was behind me) and I jumped back to land the Bair. I dont know if the stun was still in effect or not, but our opponent was pretty upset about it.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I don´t see any reason why stungun -> LK wouldn´t work...

And MK´s best aspect in teams is that he causes damage way too fast. Tornado spam is too good in any match. Of course Zelda would be the killer and Meta the edgeguarder in this team.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I team regularly with a Diddy Kong player (Ace), and I think this is a great example of a Damage Racker/Assassin combination team. Diddy gets the opponents to high percentages and then passes them to Zelda and Zelda gets the kill. Another good thing is that Zelda with banana's is absolutely terrifying for the other team. The only problem I have is with keeping track of banana's, but I am getting better at it.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Can you believe my 'how to thread deal with a character's move' thread was locked? I don't get it =( It really helped me out, and I know it helped others out too...

Was it a really bad thread?

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
@Kataefi: It was definitely not a bad thread, it helped me out tons! I thought it was very well organized.

As far as a partner goes, I team with Falco, SHDL + Din's is very tough to approach when team damage is on and when your not fighting any one like Ness/Lucas or a good reflector. how the match usually goes is that my partner will be the survivor as I will try to wipeout everyone. For some reason I find it pretty effective because teams will focus more upon me since I'm the aggressor of the team, so it opens the door for situational KOs for him.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Anyone in god/top tier would be good for Zelda...

Yeah, I was quite shocked when I saw that your thread was locked. But now it's fine.

Bandit

Smash Lord
The only reason I say MK is not that good at teams is that he is light and should have problems holding stock. Even if he tornado spams, he risks collecting his teammate in it. If he shuttles, he could hit his teammate. He does nothing team related, but he handles 2 on 1's fairly well. I've just found that teams with MK's generally do well when both players split the stage in half and have 2 simultaneous 1v1 matches.

A lot of the stuff that puts MK on the God tier does not usually translate into teamwork. I have seen a Kirby/MK team though that worked really well together. Kirby swallows MK immediately so it then becomes Kirby-on-Steroids/MK team.

@Kataefi

Great to hear your thread is back and running.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I don´t find MK to be the best teammate either for the very same reasons you just stated, I just thought I´d share some ideas.

IMO well working team of Olimar + Zelda is very good. Oli causes damage and Zelda finishes the kills. Oli also has a good grab, so he can hold opponents in place for Zelda to LK them. Din is also ideal for aiding Oli´s recovery if needed.

EDIT: I´m also glad that Kataefi´s threat is up and running again, I don´t think it would deserve a lock.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Keep the discussion coming! I will compile all this discussion into a synopsis when we feel that we have some "definitive" (I use that loosely as opinions are never definitive) answers to this topic.

I have changed the "Help Center" into the "Topic Center" on the first page. If you click on the topic, it will take you to my post that introduces the topic, so we can actually use this as a reference guide. I'll add a second link directly to the synopsis when that time comes. I really believe this will add another dynamic to this thread.

Thanks to the people who have been contributing, and I hope you all continue to do so and keep this thread burning with excitement.

D

Deleted member

Ness is the best teammate!!!!

Stock holder - Ness

Heal him throughout the battle and he'll always end up with spare lives. your Din's Fire can also save his life if he gets thunder stolen.

Assassin - Ness

Grab release > dair. most don't see this coming and it can kill at 0%. the PKT2 is also a huge mindgame and it wrecks *****es at low %'s

Damage Racker - Zelda

hopefully nobody needs an explanation lol

Team Magic ****© (nobody steal our name >_>)

Top Bottom