• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZGD: Livin by a thread.

Bandit

Smash Lord
See, this is what I am talking about. This is a true team attitude where Zelda and a character can work very well together. Ness takes advantage of your Dins spam and both of you benefit from it.

How does Ness do 2 on 1? It seems like he would be at a big disadvantage though I am not that informed of the character. I see this team almost always having Zelda stealing the lives and ending up being the last one standing on the team.

Also...

Vill & ArkiveZero - were your tourneys advertised on smashboards? I would like to link to the tourney thread. Also, if you know where you placed out of how many people, then I can add that information to the Tournament Placers section (this is being added tomorrow).

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I find pikachu to be a great team mate. Din's plus thunderjolt camping is effective and difficult to avoid and also both characters can rack damage and kill very easily, allowing them to alternate between the two and fill each other's roles if the going gets tough.

Also... pika's thunder walls near the ledge plus din's can make it really hard for the enemy to make it back onto the ledge if they are knocked away.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
From my experience here, especially with Sudai, I find that R.O.B. is a very good teammate for Zelda. He's extremely good at racking up damage on both opponents with his crazy way of hitting people with projectiles and camping. With that, he sets up killing percentages for her. He's great at gimping, which is always a plus and he can also protect Zelda when she's off the stage because a lot of R.O.B.'s strong points are whenever he's off of the stage himself.

So R.O.B.'s strong points are :

Damage racker
Range and Projectiles
Gimper
Protector

Be careful not to accidentally kill him though. He's a big target for a lot of Zelda's attacks.

I've also had experience with G&W as a partner, but I didn't enjoy that as much. Peach could work well too.

D

Deleted member

How does Ness do 2 on 1?
my brother wrecks **** so he's hella good 2v1 lol. Ness's fair has god priority, if he catches somebody with a PK fire it creates a wall of flames that can choke up enemies, and his fthrow/bthrow swings whoever you're throwing in a wide circle that knocks back enemies. if i ever get knocked out and my brother has an extra stock i always steal it and heal him back to 0%.

Vill & ArkiveZero - were your tourneys advertised on smashboards?
nope lol

it was just a little get together that was going on because some of the wichita people were in KC

there should be a tourney the 6th or something, if i go to that i'll rep zelda again. hopefully i dont get bracket fcked lol

Snakeee

Smash Master
I think Zelda is best with a fast character that can rack up damage with ease.
I say Metaknight should probably be the best teammate of all. ZSS is a great teammate as well (bias aside :))
And double Sheik/Zelda team is extremely sexy and amazing, plus transformation time is cut in half.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
G&W gets a full bucket from Dins. He also can uair to set you up for uairs if you read the airdodge right. If Zelda gets a dtilt lock, G&W can punish hard with a bucket or an usmash.

He kills earlier than even you, so that's a really powerful team, especially with the benefit of the bucket. Only problem with this team is that you both die very early. Probably more of a high risk/ high reward team that would be really fun to play.

Bandit

Smash Lord
From my experience here, especially with Sudai, I find that R.O.B. is a very good teammate for Zelda. He's extremely good at racking up damage on both opponents with his crazy way of hitting people with projectiles and camping. With that, he sets up killing percentages for her. He's great at gimping, which is always a plus and he can also protect Zelda when she's off the stage because a lot of R.O.B.'s strong points are whenever he's off of the stage himself.

So R.O.B.'s strong points are :

Damage racker
Range and Projectiles
Gimper
Protector

Be careful not to accidentally kill him though. He's a big target for a lot of Zelda's attacks.
At smashfests (but not at tourneys), I have teamed with JCaesar's ROB, and it has led to wreck-fests. ROB puts up an incredible wall that is difficult to get past with fair, ftilt, and dtilt while Zelda can dins the whole lot of them. Oh, and he lives forever.

I was in a team friendly with another ROB who saw I was about to be gimped and was able to fair me which allowed me to get back. The amazing part was he already was in an air fight but was able to just simply UpB away and come get me.

I really do enjoy that team, but I haven't teamed with any in tournament.

Snakeee said:
And double Sheik/Zelda team is extremely sexy and amazing, plus transformation time is cut in half.
Honestly, I did not know about the loading time with this team. Double Zelda is pretty amazing with huge hitbox smashes.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Welp, I have a placement from Sept. 21st

Here's the thread for it: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193442

When the Wigi matchup is discussed on the matchup board, I think it now leans really in favor to Zelda since its easy to avoid jab->fire punch. I made a thread on it for the sake of conformation because I was somewhat unsure. NL> jab+fire punch since the invincibility frame comes out faster.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Best teammate for Zelda= Link

Um but I couldn't tell you why lol. Yeah just cuz... I'm not very good at proving a point XD

Bandit

Smash Lord
@ Scary. Thanks for the placing! I'm going to be putting up the Tournament Placings area this weekend sometime (if not tonight) to show how people have been placing. Hopefully, we will show improvement over time (I would hope this is the general goal).

Villi

Smash Lord
omfg I'm at SFSU CGC 4. Pools started 2.5 hours ago and we're still at pool 3 of 6. ;_; I'm 5th pool and bored out of my mind.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Wow that sucks dude. Hopefully, they speed the hell up so you get to lightning kicking some ***.

On another note: Due to my family holiday schedule, I found out I will not be entering anymore tourneys in 08. I figure this gives me a month to make myself that much better.

Villi

Smash Lord
I placed 3rd in my pools. Won 6/8 sets with 7 wins and 4 losses. Got some 3 stocks in with Sheik/Zelda against a G&W and a Falco. Lost pretty bad as Sheik/Zelda against an MK (pretty much both times I lost in pools my friend would pressure me to go Peach -_- ... she took MK to kill percent with 33 seconds on the timer lol same with a Diddy Kong except she also beat him once). I need MK practice forrealz. Then I finally played my bracket match... lost first round to a Lucas for overusing Zelda (gahhhh he's got shield pressure)... 2 stocked him the second round by going Sheik heavy, then he CPed Metaknight. And I was taken out of single elimination on the first bracket at 10pm. wuifheuiwhuirhuirhuifrhuifwbgrufigrefgburibgfiuewbgfyiweifuwheuifbeuiwgfuiwegfuiwrufiwuifgbwueigfhuiewfuiewbfuiefiuwbgfuibwuifgbruifguiwrgfuiwgfuirwhuiwrhgfuirhuiwrhuirwhguirhugihriuhguirhguihwrfuirhwiufh

OMG MK.

Bandit

Smash Lord
If he uses MK, Zelda is the way to go. She does so much to ruin his approaches.

Dtilt > Dash attack/grab
USmash > Glide Attack
FSmash > Tornado (has to be spaced right)
Dair > Shuttle

He still has the advantage because, well, he's MK but now you realize why people want MK banned so much. People who use MK anytime they feel they are about to lose.

You should be, with a little practice, able to destroy those weak MK's who people simply use when they have no other answer. Usually, they only know the basics and Zelda ***** the basics.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Villi I don't know about you but I'm more confident fighting an MK as Zelda than I am with Peach. I find myself getting ***** in the air with his broken attacks as Peach, and she can't kill him sooner =(

I remember getting a sweetspot LK on a meta one time offline and it killed him at 40% right near the ledge of FD. Felt like revenge for all the times he's got me ^^

Also I find that being incredibly defensive and attacking OoS really helps.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
It´s very hard to be offensive against MK... without getting your *** kicked of course.

I hate those people who use him as a last resort without even liking him or his moveset. It just annoys me when people think they can just pick a character and autowin with him. They also are usually sore losers.

I know many who arent like that though, so don´t get me wrong. I´m not saying MK users are nOObs or johners. Just some of them are. But I guess the same can be said about any character and his/her players...

Villi

Smash Lord
In my defense, I could have easily beaten a scrub Meta... Yeah, Sheik/Zelda are definitely lacking in experience fighting a good one, but I can do better next time.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Are you guys still doing the thing that was said in the first post? If so, I would like to give my info out.

1. GreyFox
2. San Antonio, TX
3. Wootz Monthlies and Gamelot Monthlies (Soon to be at Final Smash 5)
4a. Suspect - Kirby
4b. JUJ - Dreamland
4c. Espy - Sonic
5. Espy (Zelda/Sonic)
6. Green/Purple/Random
7. N/A cause I don't play Sheik, I main Zelda :)

Bandit

Smash Lord
GreyFox86, I will add you to the list. We are definitely taking player information all the time. It is good to hear there is another tourney Zelda running around.

CONGRATULATIONS GREYFOX FOR YOUR TOP 10 FINISH THIS WEEKEND!

Here is the link to the thread:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209283

Villi, I don't think anyone was criticizing you; I think it was more empathizing with you. Without much practice against MK, you are going to have a problem with his arsenal regardless. Any good player can be "good" with MK with only a little experience with him, and by good I mean effective. Especially if you are picking against him thinking he is staying Lucas, and he pulls MK out in the 3rd match after you pick your character, you are kind of at his mercy. It is unfortunate, but it is brawl. I'm happy to hear you had good success in your pools as it takes a good effort just to get out of them, so congratulations on your tourney efforts.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
That sucks, but it's still relatively good in this day in age of the metagame that's for sure. Some big names in there too.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
GreyFox86, I will add you to the list. We are definitely taking player information all the time. It is good to hear there is another tourney Zelda running around.

CONGRATULATIONS GREYFOX FOR YOUR TOP 10 FINISH THIS WEEKEND!
Lol, thanks alot. Live and die by the hands of the true Triforce of Wisdom

Anyways, I find that Zelda is probably one of the best medium characters around. Great priority on alot of moves, insane damage, and bigger hitbox on Din's Fire

But yea, I would like to help build Zelda to more than what people give her credit for. She gets so much discredit here in SA that I'm the only top player who plays and mains her. Kinda sad to say the least but whatevers. It's all good in the long run cause the won't ever see it coming. :)

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Takumaru

During School: Philadelphia, PA; Summer: Indianapolis, IN

Inactive since my move to PA

none on SWF, but they play Bowser, Marth, and Wario

Only team with my brother: He plays bowser, wario, or snake. It depends on how we're feeling at the time

Green

Kinda use sheik, my "secondaries" (i.e. characters I can use well) are peach, ganondorf, lucas, samus, lucario and snake.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Greyfox I know what you mean. I think she's the best character in the mid tier too. I seriously think the duo would be even higher though... especially now that they are a lot more cooperative than they were in melee.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Yea. Zelda is really great in doubles. With all the multi-hits she can do and of course her Lightning Kick, all you really need to have as a partner is someone who can rack up damage. Olimar, Sonic, MK is the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Good, the teammate topic is going again. Here I thought I might have to wrap it up :) .

Olimar is definitely an option I would like to see. It seems like it would be like the Baltimore Ravens (I'm from MD... so bias): Pure defense and just enough offense to win the game. The only problem I can see is if both you and him get knocked off the edge. You are forced to recover on the stage to leave the ledge open to him. I'm sure once you got used to playing with an Olimar though that you would have this problem figured out and solved.

Sonic I have zero information on. I don't play with anyone who plays him and I haven't really played against one.

@Takumaru

Welcome to the community! You've been added to the casual list for now and in your region. I haven't seen you in the threads here, so it would be great to hear from you in our topic threads.

@GreyFox

Do you have any vids of your Zelda? If so, you can drop them over in the video thread and Marsulas will add them to the main page over there. I'd like to see it in action.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Dare I say Sheik might be a good partner for her? Since they both complement each others weaknesses....might be a good team.

@GreyFox- good s*** man! Nice to know there are some actual players who place well with Zelda. You happen to have any vids of you that we can add to the archive?

Edit: Lol, Bandit posted pretty much the same thing as me.

Bandit

Smash Lord
It seems Sheik would be great for Zelda especially since the Sheik's transform time is very short to Zelda should she need to switch to power. Both players should be able to switch roles in the middle of the game and refresh moves throughout the match.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I was actually thinking about someone who is fast like Sonic. Slipped my mind for Sheik cause I don't play her much and no one here plays her seriously.

But yea there are some vids of me, all of them either losing, coming close or winning. More than less losing really cause of the match-ups I go against. I need more casuals with Zelda on vids so when I get the chance, I'll have them up and posted. Where is the archive anyways?

Takumaru

Smash Lord
@Takumaru

Welcome to the community! You've been added to the casual list for now and in your region. I haven't seen you in the threads here, so it would be great to hear from you in our topic threads.
Actually I post here... a lot. It's just school has kept me busy recently.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Has anyone EVER used a Zelda/G&W combo? Freakin' oil spill Insta-KO! Of course, after three charges of Din's Fire, but even three weak ones will cause him to have an Insta-KO.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Actually I post here... a lot. It's just school has kept me busy recently.
I hear you about school; I figured you had to be around on these boards, but I, personally, just haven't seen you. No judging here :) With the semester coming to a close, will you be hitting any tourneys during the holidays?

@Tsuteto

On paper, it seems like a great team. My only concern is GW is so light that you might accidentally kill him with your smashes should he accidentally get sucked into, say, an USmash. You'd have to keep a good eye on where he is, so you aren't causing unnecessary damage. I did see a double GW the last tourney I went to that was wrecking teams.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Has anyone EVER used a Zelda/G&W combo? Freakin' oil spill Insta-KO! Of course, after three charges of Din's Fire, but even three weak ones will cause him to have an Insta-KO.
Like Red stated, Zelda/G&W isn't the worst combo but far from the best. Zelda's hit box's have increased in Brawl so with anyone that you team up with you have to be really careful about how you smash and where you toss your Din's. In a teams tourney I played in about 3 weeks ago, took 1st mind you, I teamed up with Espy (Sonic player) and ended up killing him 3 times in a span of 4 matches. That in itself is really bad. I just had to control where my smashes/Din's/Lightning Kick's went cause if I don't, my partner will end up dying before the opponent does.

Don't get me wrong, 3 Din's in a bucket and its game over for anyone who touches it. But with the lightweight of G&W, you really just have to be careful about what you do.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Okay, before anything really "goes down," note that I have been out of the smash scene for 6 months, so I'm not sure how much is exactly "valid" in the fights now, but I believe my point is still valid.

I'm perfectly aware of the increase range of hit boxes. Honestly, I never even got near my teammate in a teams match. I still remember the first time I did teams in melee at a competition, I probably killed my opponent more than the other team did. That was like, three years ago, and just brought up for humor. I had the best Zelda in Utah when I was playing back in May, and the was able to work with people to a better degree. A friend (PerfectChaos) had some friendly teams against others where he was G&W (he doesn't play him even as a secondary) and I was Zelda. The people we fought probably didn't bring us below a combined three stock. There's many, MANY things you can do to completely destroy them via the oil spill. Once again though, because I have been out of the loop for over six months, I'm not sure how much is exactly valid. If you played around with it, I'm sure you'd see it work out a good bit.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Okay, before anything really "goes down," note that I have been out of the smash scene for 6 months, so I'm not sure how much is exactly "valid" in the fights now, but I believe my point is still valid.

I'm perfectly aware of the increase range of hit boxes. Honestly, I never even got near my teammate in a teams match. I still remember the first time I did teams in melee at a competition, I probably killed my opponent more than the other team did. That was like, three years ago, and just brought up for humor. I had the best Zelda in Utah when I was playing back in May, and the was able to work with people to a better degree. A friend (PerfectChaos) had some friendly teams against others where he was G&W (he doesn't play him even as a secondary) and I was Zelda. The people we fought probably didn't bring us below a combined three stock. There's many, MANY things you can do to completely destroy them via the oil spill. Once again though, because I have been out of the loop for over six months, I'm not sure how much is exactly valid. If you played around with it, I'm sure you'd see it work out a good bit.
Hey nothing against you guy. I don't want to blow anything out of proportion. Then again, teams is really how players work together as a team. You've been here before and have done teams before so you don't need me to tell you what to do or who to use. I'm only stating just be careful. :)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Ha! I remember doing a team match with bowser... not good =p
Big and fat characters get hit easily by LKs =(

Villi

Smash Lord
I enjoy teaming up with Peach. She has better control than most characters, which allows her to easily get out of the way of Zelda's smashes. She's an excellent damage racker and can definitely keep one character zoned to one half of the stage.

There's a Peach player in my area whom I work very well with, possibly because we basically use the same Peach style. Little tricks aside, I think teams are about how well the people behind the characters can work together. They need to know when to get out of the other person's way, when to take the lead, when to let them fight out of a situation, and when to throw a din's fire their way.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Marth is a pretty nice team mate just for just about everyone. I play with a lot marths and it works for me. Although I think zelda can also work well with anyone your used to playing with. My team mate since the release of brawl has been bowser and we work very well together. I didn't play with a marth team mate until recently when I had to grab a new one.

Also, dins fire is one sexy move for saving team members. I can't count the number of times I've saved someone by dsmash > din's. OR, if you wanna be real flashy, jump off, hit them with the first part of farore's wind, let have them hit you with their recovery move and then recover on your own. Yeah, I pretty much live for teams.

Top Bottom