• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZGD: Livin by a thread.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I haven't seen what you look like sas... though sinking has told me many a horrific story upon discovering your identity xD

I'll make a good guess and say you are non-white!

Silent_Rain

Smash Journeyman
Nice! Which one do you prefer as the singer, Anette Olzon or Tarja Turunen?
I first heard of Nightwish with Tarja Turunen as their vocalist and I really enjoyed their sounds. I was sad when she got fired. Anette is not bad and I like some of their new stuff but I will always prefer Tarja.

???t

There's someone that knows who she is?!

Oh glorious day!

^O^
LOL yes I love her. Some of my favorite songs by her include Sunday Afternoon and this beautiful piano acoustic version of Worn Me Down., which was the first song I heard from her.

Yeah - I guess you can say I'm into electro stuff.
I love Daft Punk and Black Eyed Peas. By the way if you like electro music maybe you will like Passion Pit. :3

They played in boston last week. I saw them! They were actually pretty **** good!
Omg! *is jealous* >_<
They are awesome!

same here I suppose, though I can not take metal.
putita, te gusta Reik?

gm jack

Smash Lord
same here I suppose, though I can not take metal.
Are you talking metal in all shapes and forms, or just the more extreme metal genres, like death metal?

Stuff like blind guardian and Cynic's latest album are very pleasant to listening, and very different to what people expect from metal.

The next two videos are both part's of the Blind Guardian song, And Then There Was Silence, which is absolutely fantastic. Put some time aside for it though. Two videos are necessary for it, so load both, then listen to the first immediately followed by the second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxLm8mcYgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6n4tEXX21w

Blind Guardian got my gf into metal, and she was completely into cutesy J-pop. If you are too lazy to listen to the whole thing, the section that starts at 2:55 in the first video is brilliant.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I detest extreme metal. The softer metal, like dream theatre, is not auspicious to me, but I don't actually like it, I just don't think it's conspiciously bad.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Still, listen to that Blind Guardian performance I posted. A lot of metal doesn't really stray that far from rock. It is just how the particular subgenres evolved that determine it metal.

As for Dream Theater, bit of a speciality. Unless it really is your thing, you will probably just hear the guitarist and keyboard player "massaging" each other for 10 minutes every song.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Still, listen to that Blind Guardian performance I posted. A lot of metal doesn't really stray that far from rock. It is just how the particular subgenres evolved that determine it metal.

As for Dream Theater, bit of a speciality. Unless it really is your thing, you will probably just hear the guitarist and keyboard player "massaging" each other for 10 minutes every song.
I listened and I disliked it.

Like I said, nothing about the genre of metal is enticing to me. What isn't auspicious is still just not good to me. I think the way metal singers sing is unpleasant for one thing, and the intrumentation is more focused on trying to be impressive than trying to be lyrical.

It's not fun to sing with because the vocals aren't lyrical and it's not fun to dance to because it doesn't have a dancy beat. I know that's just how the genre is, but that's why I don't like it.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I listened and I disliked it.

Like I said, nothing about the genre of metal is enticing to me. What isn't auspicious is still just not good to me. I think the way metal singers sing is unpleasant for one thing, and the intrumentation is more focused on trying to be impressive than trying to be lyrical.

It's not fun to sing with because the vocals aren't lyrical and it's not fun to dance to because it doesn't have a dancy beat. I know that's just how the genre is, but that's why I don't like it.
Fair enough. I know the metal singing voice is quite strange (ranging from semi operatic to harsh) but nothing else would fit the style. As for the instrumentation, that is a big problem with a lot of bands, in that they focus on technicality above just playing something that sounds good. However, a lot of it just requires for careful listening in order to understand what they are doing. However, a lot of the playing is incredibly good, and many metal plays are only equalled in skill by serious virtuoso players in other genres.

As for the singing, I don't quite get what you mean by not lyrical. The lyrics to a lot of metal is far more complex and in depth than that of other genres. For example, that Blind Guardian song is a retelling of the Iliad from the point of view of Cassandra (daughter of the king of Troy). she was blessed with prophecy, but cursed so nobody would ever believe her, so she know the doom of her own people, but could do nothing to prevent it. A lot is otherwise based on other mythology, books, events of politics.

Then, death metal goes and ruins it by talking about ****** people with knives and Black Metal follow suit with a lot of bands using a lot of satanic lyrics, accumulating in a spree of church burnings, suicides and murders in Norway in the early 90's.

As for dancing, agreed. Moshing is far more fun :).

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
  • complex lyrics are not more fun to sing to :laugh:
  • Anyway, the vocals aren't melodic most of the time. Maybe you'll understand it if I say it that way, because lyrical doesn't refer to lyrics having meaning, but rather how songlike something sounds. A REALLY good way to demonstrate how lyrical vocals in a particular song are is to try to have them sung with no background music. If they still sound very good, they are very lyrical. Think of Michael Buble songs there.
  • As for the instumentiation being impressive, Just because it's hard to do doesn't make it inherently good: it's probably hard to kill your grandmother with a rubber band, that doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

gm jack

Smash Lord
complex lyrics are not more fun to sing to :laugh:
Anyway, the vocals aren't melodic most of the time.
As for the instumentiation being impressive, Just because it's hard to do doesn't make it inherently good: it's probably hard to kill your grandmother with a rubber band, that doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.
Vocal melodies just aren't the focus in metal. Saying that, they do have some fantastic singers. Rob Halford of Judas Priest has a 4 octave plus range. The focus just isn't on a catchy hook, though there is still a lot of melody. The focus is just taken off it.

And I agree on impressive not always being good. Most metal isn't OTT when it comes to technicality. It's just comparatively technical, if you get me. a lot of jazz is far more technical in terms of note choice and execution. However, add in distortion and it suddenly sounds a lot more complex

I really need to stop now, but as you may have gathered, I rather like talking music. Personally, I can see no attraction in the vast majority of pop, rock, and electronic music. I find it very rare to find and music which is more than skin deep there.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
my standbyes, Xtina and Buble, both have unbelieveable voices, and, Xtina, at least, is willing to put up a pretty diverse fare of music, not limiting herself to a certain instrumentation or style. She really has no reason to be villified, if you gave her stuff a listen, you'd ;likely be impressed.

and if pop music is simple and formulaic, it' because that's all it needs to be for the masses to appreciate it.

Sometimes simple pelasures are still the best.

Case in point: chocolate.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I missed the music discussion!

MUST... MAKE... UP... FOR...IT!

I'm a vocalist (classical singer bass with a range extending to most of tenor, rapper, hip-hop singer, rock sort of, and beatboxer), guitarist (maaaaad nub at it), and pianist.

Music tastes....

Ahhh, pick a musical genre, I can name at least 50 songs from it that I was obsessed with at one point (that includes PHD in music only styles like expressionism).

Perennial favorites are usually hip-hop of various genres, various types of metal, various types of electronica, and new age.

Weird combination, no? Try showing up at a death metal show in urban style... and then moshing.

I detest extreme metal. The softer metal, like dream theatre, is not auspicious to me, but I don't actually like it, I just don't think it's conspiciously bad.
You're dead to me.

J/k, though at least you didn't say it's bad (unlike most people who don't like metal).

Snakeee

Smash Master
Nice! Which one do you prefer as the singer, Anette Olzon or Tarja Turunen?

Now for something unrelated: why isn't my picture in the front page already? (People also seem to have named their Zeldas so I baptised mine Queen Punishment)
Taja of course. It's not even a comparison, and I was so upset that she left :(.

Their new stuff is alright, but it will NEVER be the same.
..glad to see a fan though :)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Every genre of music has exactly the same hiearchy imo - you'll get your shallow guilty pleasures, the songs that try to be a bit more daring, and then you'll find your deep, thought provoking gems :)

I can pick a variety of extemely poppy songs that go very deep and I can probably do the same for every single genre of music if I dug hard enough.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Taja of course. It's not even a comparison, and I was so upset that she left :(.

Their new stuff is alright, but it will NEVER be the same.
Yo, Snakeee! You kicked my *** at Gametable, twice.

Anyway, I've gotta agree, even though I really do like Anette, Tarja really set Nightwish apart, and I'm really gonna miss her.

I understand why they got rid of her but... why not go for another classically trained vocalist?

Silent_Rain

Smash Journeyman
I love metal. My mother is big heavy metal and hard rock fan. She listens to some classic bands like Metallica and such in the car. Her musical tastes influenced mine, but I have a very open mind when it comes to music as you saw from my list. There's so many subgenres of metal. Ali once introduced me to pirate metal, lol.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I'm Finn. I've no other choice but to be Nightwish fan :)

But yeah, I think Tarja's way to sing fit their dramatic music much better. Anette is too pop-ish IMO.

I like music that tells a story.
Like this one? (warning: explicit lyrics)

That right there is a perfect example of the kind of metal I don't like. Horrible singing, the song has no point, bad lyrics etc...

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I didn't realise you were ever against it in the first place. Did you speak up sooner? Maybe I missed it :)

I'll propose a social thread and a tournament thread as a good alternative. Maybe if I can catch you on the chat we can discuss how things can move forward. I'll be on there now actually!
I just saw this now, lol. I highly doubt you'll ever catch me in the chat seeing as I've never used it and don't ever plan on using it (I'm not a chatty kind of guy). Your suggestion of having two threads sounds fine to me. But it's up to you, you're in charge here your modship.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Like this one? (warning: explicit lyrics)

That right there is a perfect example of the kind of metal I don't like. Horrible singing, the song has no point, bad lyrics etc...
Please at least give some decent death metal. That was horrible. The vocalist used to work with Cannibal Corpse, and he has gone completely down hill since then. He used to have such a deep, guttural voice the album notes had to point out it wasn't pitch shifted or distorted. Now it's very nasally and whiny.

Bad lyrics are often a matter of opinion (no contest here though). A lot of bands put some though into it, so although they can be seriously messed up, if you take it at face value, they are very well written. The genres don't require the vocals to be catchy, rather forceful and rhythmic to drive the song along while the instruments play their often complex and dissonant lines. trying to sing a melody would really not work.

And the song always has a point. Maybe it was just for the entertainment of the people that write it. This may not bring tears to your eye, or change your outlook on life, but people often reject anger as an emotion when it comes to music. Sometimes, screaming about sodomising people with a meathook is what cheers you up. Hardly going to please the ears, but that is entirely the point.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Let's not argue about music preference please. If anything, let's argue about how sexy Phil Collins is.

How sexy is he? Very.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Phill Collins wrote the captain planet theme song. And his cover of "You can't hurry love" is <3

I suppose that can make him at least moderately sexy

However, you only can eat a chocolate bar one. I tend to want more than a single listen's worht of enjoyment out of music.
look at it this way? which looks better?

Katherine Heigl in this simple little black dress?

Or in this more complex, and high fashion, hout couture number?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
*imagines a threesome with Sonic the Hedgedawg and Kaylo*

**** that'd be sweet. (lol j/k)

In all seriousness, that would probably be a good idea.
Kaylo's a beautiful girl, but her lack of a Y chromosome is distressing to me when it comes to anything more than a friendly relationship.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
*imagines a threesome with Sonic the Hedgedawg and Kaylo*

**** that'd be sweet. (lol j/k)

In all seriousness, that would probably be a good idea.
What, a threesome with Sonic and Kaylo? Yes I imagine it could be a good idea. . .

Hmmm.... *puts head in hand like THE KING from Zelda CD-i*

Top Bottom