• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Same.

Has anyone heard about that contest that Bethesda is having for babies born on 11/11/11? Ruin your child's life and you get every Bethesda game free.
How can I enter this contest if my child won't be born for 9 months, even if I start now?! D:

........Waitaminute............

I need to have a discussion with the Mrs...

I'm obviously kidding

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I do plan to get this. I'll have to definitely get a new computer because I can barely play Oblivion at medium settings at a reasonable resolution.

I had fun with Oblivion as I first got it on the 360, then I learned about mods. I went crazy with mods and had lots of fun but still, my comp can barely handle it. I hope Skyrim gets just as much, if not more of a mod community as Oblivion did. Thats what really sets these types of games apart from console versions.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I am looking forward to this game. I hope it doesn't let me down as a sequel like Fallout NV (it was a good game, just not as epic as Fallout 3, to me at least ) did though =/

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I am looking forward to this game. I hope it doesn't let me down as a sequel like Fallout NV (it was a good game, just not as epic as Fallout 3, to me at least ) did though =/
I'd say NV was more of a spinoff, being developed by Obsidian and all, though I was pretty impressed with it. It had more content, a less engrossing story line, and a few gaping glitches, but was still well worth the 60$

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
If it was a spin-off it was a damn good one. I agree with everything you said, the only gripe I personally had with it was that I didn't find the atmosphere and world as epic as F3. I mean in NV the world was rebuilding whereas in F3 the world was in a lot more turmoil which I found more fun to play in. But as I said, NV is still an amazing game well worth however much you paid for it (I paid $110 AU back then, kind of a rip considering the US - AU exchange rate is basically 1:1 haha).

Spire

III
BRoomer
I played ten minutes of FO:NV and came across 4 or 5 isolated glitches, one of them inducing a state of animation lag that screwed the gameplay up. I do not plan on ever buying that game.

finalark

SNORLAX
I played ten minutes of FO:NV and came across 4 or 5 isolated glitches, one of them inducing a state of animation lag that screwed the gameplay up. I do not plan on ever buying that game.
This post accurately sums up every single Obsidian game I have ever played in my life.

Because, you know, finishing games is for Bioware.

Spire

III
BRoomer
This post accurately sums up every single Obsidian game I have ever played in my life.

Because, you know, finishing games is for Bioware.

Obsidian is the official second-rate RPG sequel developer that good developers use when they want to move on to bigger and better projects.

finalark

SNORLAX
That game was so half-finished that fans had to mod it to complete a number of quests that Obsidian decided weren't worth their time.

Obsidian is the official second-rate RPG sequel developer that good developers use when they want to move on to bigger and better projects.
Pretty much. Given that almost all of their games are sequels to a game someone else made.

-KOTOR II
- Neverwinter Nights II
- Dungeon Siege III
- Fallout New Vegas

Hell, the only original title they have is Alpha Protocol, which (from what I've read) is as half-finished as nearly every other Obsidian game.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I actually kind of liked Kotor 2 but yeah you're right, it left so much stuff out it was disappointing. And they made Fallout New Vegas?! Is that game full of glitches too?

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually kind of liked Kotor 2 but yeah you're right, it left so much stuff out it was disappointing.
KOTOR 2 wasn't a bad game, it was just rushed and felt very incomplete and unpolished.

And they made Fallout New Vegas?! Is that game full of glitches too?
Yep. I haven't played it, but everyone who I know that has says the game is full of bugs, including crashes.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I've heard of all these game breaking glitches for NV, and I only ran into one. Which was after 2 months of playing the game.

I was probably just lucky, but I still enjoyed the hell out of the game. I can't wait for more DLC (Dead Money was FANTASTIC. Easily the best Fallout DLC IMHO, or at least my favorite), and I still haven't done everything yet.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I've heard of all these game breaking glitches for NV, and I only ran into one. Which was after 2 months of playing the game.

I was probably just lucky, but I still enjoyed the hell out of the game. I can't wait for more DLC (Dead Money was FANTASTIC. Easily the best Fallout DLC IMHO, or at least my favorite), and I still haven't done everything yet.
Same here, though I sadly don't have the DLC nor the memory for it. There where a plethora of minor glitches, about 2 save corruptions, and no crashes in my 90 hour NV runthrough. There are a deal less minor glitches, many more save corruptions, and about 10 crashes so far in my 170 hour FO:3 runthrough, so more glitches, if you take into effect the time differences, in Fallout 3.

I really don't judge the two games by glitches though, Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas because it has better exploration, a more focused main story, a better atmosphere, a better soundtrack, and incredibly solid DLC(we still have to wait for the rest of the NV DLC, though Obsidian in behind compared to the "1 DLC a month" approach Bethesda did). New Vegas had alot more content, a fresh setting, better companions, a stellar soundtrack, some great additions to gameplay and combat, and a great new reputation system.

Fallout 3 is one of the few near perfect games out there, along with Ocarina of Time, Mass Effect 2, Half Life 2, and Paper Mario being the only others in my opinion, and New Vegas is stellar game that is overshadowed by it's predecessor's and downplayed by INCREDIBLY overexagerated reports of glitches that don't take much away from this fantastic game. Don't cheat yourself of a great game if you are a FO:3 fan, give New Vegas a shot.

So, who thinks we need a Fallout thread?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Coming out of hibernation just to post in this thread.

SKYRIM EFF YEAHHHHHH

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just pre-ordered this game. Should hold me off till D3 comes out :).

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Well, since no one is bothering to search for this thread, might as well bump it since it's actually relevant now.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I purchased the game on Steam, downloaded it, and the first thing it says is this:

"Skyrim will check your card for the appropriate settings." or something like that. After a second or so, it said "Your settings have been set to Ultra High." That was an awesome feeling.

So far the game looks gorgeous and is really well done. Looking forward to this experience.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
One thing I always have problems with in Elder Scrolls is picking a class. I am a Breton, and I am usually shooting flames with one hand and a sword in the other.

On PC, does anyone else hate the fact that left click uses your right hand and right click uses your left?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I don't own the PC version, but that does sound like something that would be a little aggravating. I'm guessing you can switch around which hand is linked to which button though.

The only thing about this game so far that I'm not so sure I like is the removal of Acrobatics. I no longer feel the need to jump everywhere, but my inability to perform amazing leaps onto random things that I shouldn't be able to reach is saddening.

But that's a very minor gripe.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
One thing I always have problems with in Elder Scrolls is picking a class. I am a Breton, and I am usually shooting flames with one hand and a sword in the other.

On PC, does anyone else hate the fact that left click uses your right hand and right click uses your left?
For those of us using sword and board, left click to shieldbash and right click to swing is relatively fluid.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's still awkward, especially with spells. If I have something in my left hand, I expect the left click to use it.

So, I am at a loss of where to go. I kinda want to get my poisoning up for small arms and archery. I
killed the storyline dragon
using a bow and arrow, but I don't know if I really want this for all time. I think I may finish alchemy and destruction, and then see if I even need a secondary weapon. I am really looking forward to the mods.

D

Deleted member

you can swap the left and right hand in the control settings menu. what annoys me to no end is that you can't unequip righthand spells, so you have to equip a weapon on right and then unequip it again so your right hand is actually free.
So far having a great time not doing the main missions and just riding around and shooting spells everywhere. (it's too bad race also specifies class since a kahjit mage isn;t the best thing to go for :p)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I have no idea why I didn't think to do that. Thanks for the heads up.

How far is everyone in the story?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's still awkward, especially with spells. If I have something in my left hand, I expect the left click to use it.

So, I am at a loss of where to go. I kinda want to get my poisoning up for small arms and archery. I
killed the storyline dragon
using a bow and arrow, but I don't know if I really want this for all time. I think I may finish alchemy and destruction, and then see if I even need a secondary weapon. I am really looking forward to the mods.
Just started and first thing I did was swap the mouse buttons, just change your controls to suit your preference lol.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Here's a fun challenge: Slightly northwest of Winterrun is a camp. Go fight the things there.

finalark

SNORLAX
So far Skyrim has successfully improved over Oblivion in every way. Except for the favorites system, I actually feel like that's inferior to Oblivion's set up.

Top Bottom