• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam

Smash Hero
at least when you lose to ganon and mewtwo it's like "well at least that character is powerful canonically and they're badass".

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
SWF will crash again after the trailer most likely due to so many people joining the server at once LOL

Then when it comes back up will we have 10 year olds throwing around ideas, and just posting stuff like "DUDE THAT WAS SO AWESOME" and like.

"I WANTZ MASTERR Ch1EF!!!"
"The Doctor! He could bring the TARDIS!"
"N00BS! WALU1G1 IS TEH XCELLENTEST!"

D

Deleted member

God help us when they actually release real hard details, or even a trailer! (Earliest chance for a trailer is probably next year's E3, I'd imagine, although it would probably be more of a teaser than an actual trailer)
Exactly. There are quite a few of problems in the Super Smash Bros. fanbase and once E3 2012 comes up, another one that has been around since Brawl's reveal in E3 '06; people will come flying to this thread and making incredibly unrealistic 55+ predictions. I'm personally not thinking we'll see less then 45 slots, but 55+ characters slots and you're talking about disappointing yourself.

@gsninja: Activity will probably drop as time goes by, but it will go up once E3 2012 comes around. More hell will break loose then it already has (GameFAQs is just... crazy, I can't imagine post-E3 2012.

@ChronoBound: I think Ridley, Little Mac, and a fifth Mario rep are more likely then Mega Man. For all we know, Nintendo could totally ditch third-party support and just have Nintendo characters in the next Smash. There are no arguments going against Ridley or Little Mac. We also have three popular options for a fifth Mario rep: Bowser Jr., Toad, and Paper Mario. In the latter case, it's a question of "Who gets in"? Agree on #2 and #3, thought.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think we could have a trailer. I mean, it was brought up at e3, is probably gonna enter development around October, and e3 won't be for another... 8 months, roughly. I think that could be enough to get some stuff in the game, and a trailer good to go!

And then I'd guesstimate that they could have the game done by or a little after NEXT year's e3...

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Lol I can't wait for the characters to be announced so I see again where people think a certain character is going to be broken, like how in Brawl people thought GnW was broken at first.

Also I want to see who the best character will be and how big their margin is from the 2nd best. Hopefully not like MK where statistics show he is x3 better then snake and then goes all the way down x27 times better when it hits ganon.

@above:That would be weird imo for Smash to come out so soon. Even though I would like it to come out as soon as possible but at it's best quality.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The only three characters whom I would be shocked not to see playable in Smash Bros. 4 are:
1. Mega Man (due to even Capcom wanting to see him in Smash Bros.)
2. A second Kid Icarus character (due to Sakurai's team developing Smash 4 right after finishing Uprising)
3. A Pokemon newcomer (since Game Freak has a heavy hand in determining Pokemon content in Smash Bros. and they usually like to promote their latest release within it).
I'm pretty excited this time around. "The roster road map" has been decently covered. All major series have the rightful characters in their slots as of Brawl. (Besides Ridley) I suppose this next game could go one of four ways:

1. Focus on advancing the amount of characters that are already from pre-existing franchises (More Mario/Loz/Pkmn slots)

2. Focusing more on the smaller franchises and less on the big ones. Adding even more series (Punch Out!!!, Golden Sun, ect)

3. Coring down. Sticking to a balanced game and trying to keep the roster lower with maybe less than ten newcomers? Or more , but with lots of cuts. I could see them trying to make Smash a "real fighter". (I would love this)

4. Focusing on the third party aspect. I can picture Capcom, Hudson, Square, and now even Ubisoft jumping at this idea. (I hate the idea of Rabbids or Rayman. SICK.)

Which would you like to see?

D

Deleted member

@majora_787: I think like the last two premier trailers of said games, only the original 12 + newcomers will be in. I think we could see three to five new characters revealed in the game, but I'm not expecting anything like Mega Man this time around.

D

Deleted member

@shortiecanbrawl: #4 is really unlikely. Remember, this is a Nintendo primary fighting franchise, they aren't going to just stuff it with characters that they don't even own. The other three are certainly possible, thought I'm hoping for a mix of #1 and #2.

@ChronoBound: How many characters did you predict in Brawl?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
And knowing Nintendo, they will show something about how the 3DS and WiiU will interact, but not explain it, so we'll freak out for like a day and a half before somebody from IGN is able to interview somebody and they clarify it, but even then we won't be sure because a interview in Japan says something vaguely different because of translation difficulties. Good times.

I think it would be a brilliant move if they do the same thing as last time, only in reverse. I mean, now everybody will be EXPECTING a third party. So I think they should do something like make it start by looking like it's a trailer for a new Mega Man game (or some other third party that might be added) and then, as Mega Man is about to face his opponent the camera pans and we see him staring down..... Mario, Link, Pikachu and Kirby looking at him strangely. THEN from there we'd get the usual trailer stuff.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I hope they put as much depth into gameplay as they can.
The WiiU being what it is, along with Miyamoto further explaining how he would like to cater towards the more harcore gamers gives me hope in this Idea.

But Sakurai is the one that just sweeps all that hope away with his crazy idea of "Everyone is on an equal playing field! From the 2 year veterans, to the 2 week newbies!" Erg.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
SWF will crash again after the trailer most likely due to so many people joining the server at once LOL

Then when it comes back up will we have 10 year olds throwing around ideas, and just posting stuff like "DUDE THAT WAS SO AWESOME" and like.
Not all ten year olds are bad. My sister is ten, and she participates in local tournaments with me. And she does excellently.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Not all ten year olds are bad. My sister is ten, and she participates in local tournaments with me. And she does excellently.
That doesn't mean she has the best ideas. Kids are good at videogames, but not at making choices.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Okay that's great and all but, how many other ten year olds actually know about the competitive scene and have a sense of reasoning when it comes to roster selection speculations?

The WiiU being what it is, along with Miyamoto further explaining how he would like to cater towards the more harcore gamers gives me hope in this Idea.

But Sakurai is the one that just sweeps all that hope away with his crazy idea of "Everyone is on an equal playing field! From the 2 year veterans, to the 2 week newbies!" Erg.
I actually think Miyamoto can be our savior, and he can fix Sakurai's slight craziness. IF Sakurai were to really work with Miyamoto (since Miyamoto is amazing at making games) we could have an amazing new smash.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
I think they should do something like make it start by looking like it's a trailer for a new Mega Man game (or some other third party that might be added) and then, as Mega Man is about to face his opponent the camera pans and we see him staring down..... Mario, Link, Pikachu and Kirby looking at him strangely. THEN from there we'd get the usual trailer stuff.
I can see it now. That would be amazing. Maybe Megaman walking into the boss room, and in the boss room Bowser is there with Ganondorf, Wario, King DeDeDe, and all the other villains. Megaman's reaction? "WTF" Then all the good guys jump in behind him, Mario leading the charge. Then epic battle scene!!! Hahaha. That would be so awesome... Someone needs to make this come true. :D

On another note, I would like to see luigi's vacuum from luigi's mansion get added. Elemental attacks for the win! :D I support K. Rool for brawl.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Yeah that would be nice but now I just lost the element of surprise effect now.
Another trailer possibility it they could get one 3rd party permission before others:
Have it look like a trailer for the next "Mario & Sonic at the Olympics," but then reveal HOLY CRAP IT'S SSB!!!!

Or, if they don't have any third party permission in time, just make it look like the umpteenth Mario Party... but then Ganon and Dedede show up to help Bowser crash it! But then Mario yells "We're-a-gonna need some help." Pull back to reveal Pikachu, Link, Samus, Kirby, etc....

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
2. A second Kid Icarus character (due to Sakurai's team developing Smash 4 right after finishing Uprising)
The only thing I think could keep a second Kid Icarus rep from SSBU would be Sakurai's humility. Apparently, Kirby's excellence in SSB64 kept him from adding more Kirby characters (and arguably, nerfing him quite a bit). Now that Brawl has seen the emergence of three, decent-to-amazing characters (gameplay-wise), as well as quite a lot of separate Kirby material, I don't think it is out of the question that Sakurai may revert to his humble ways and keep another one of his 'creations' out of the game. It's an unlikely theory, but regardless, Megaman and the Pokemon newcomer are leagues ahead of a new Kid Icarus rep, out of your three.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Another trailer possibility it they could get one 3rd party permission before others:
Have it look like a trailer for the next "Mario & Sonic at the Olympics," but then reveal HOLY CRAP IT'S SSB!!!!

Or, if they don't have any third party permission in time, just make it look like the umpteenth Mario Party... but then Ganon and Dedede show up to help Bowser crash it! But then Mario yells "We're-a-gonna need some help." Pull back to reveal Pikachu, Link, Samus, Kirby, etc....
LOL, your last idea was better.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
In Smash 64, Kirby was the second best in the game (just below Pikachu)
In Melee, Kirby is is not that good (possibly somebody may have holded him back?)
In Brawl, Meta Knight is the best character in the game (a character from the Kirby universe) and if I recall, Kirby was the one that saved the say in SSE.

...would a character from the Kirby universe be top tier again?

Thino

Smash Master
In Smash 64, Kirby was the second best in the game (just below Pikachu)
In Melee, Kirby is is not that good (possibly somebody may have holded him back?)
In Brawl, Meta Knight is the best character in the game (a character from the Kirby universe) and if I recall, Kirby was the one that saved the say in SSE.

...would a character from the Kirby universe be top tier again?
Prince Fluff

User33

Smash Journeyman
The only three characters whom I would be shocked not to see playable in Smash Bros. 4 are:
1. Mega Man (due to even Capcom wanting to see him in Smash Bros.)
3. A Pokemon newcomer (since Game Freak has a heavy hand in determining Pokemon content in Smash Bros. and they usually like to promote their latest release within it).

I can easily see Sakurai being bone-headed enough to think "Ridelee iz 2 bigg!!!111 lulz" , that Little Mac can't be playable due to "all he can do is punch, lol.", that Donkey Kong does not need a third character, and that Mario does not need a fifth character.

Its really just Mega Man that I can see definitely see being a part of Smash 4's roster. Though I am not sure about who will take Kid Icarus's second spot or Pokemon's newcomer slot, I am certain there will newcomers for both of those series (I just don't know who).
He directed the "all he can do is punch" comment toward the character from Urban Champion. In Sakurai's defense, all the character could do was punch high and to the mid section. Little Mac has uppercuts, jabs, charge up moves, and can borrow moves from other characters like Ness borrowed Paula's. For these reasons, I can't see Sakurai dismissing him.

Definitely agree with your Top 3 most likely. I'd add Takamaru and Little Mac for #4 and #5 but its a bit of a blur past that. Issac, Ridley and another Mario rep all seem likely...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The thing is that Sakurai has very little to draw from in terms of first-party IPs, the only new IPs from Nintendo I can think of at the moment is The Rolling Western, which isn't likely due to being a downloadable title. We're more likely to see new reps for established franchises then to see new franchises entirely. Kid Icarus is growing in popularity, and it's not out of the question we'll see a new character due to the pool of potential Nintendo characters decreasing. I'd rather see Medusa before they're forced to resort to bottom-of-the-barrel characters like Princess Daisy.
I agree wholeheartedly, I'm just curious as to whether or not Sakurai will select a character from his own franchise, rather than a more minor one from an existing franchise, or one from an entirely new franchise. I could see his thought process going either way, to be honest.

D

Deleted member

Has anyone considered that we could very well receive two new 5th gen Pokemon rep?

I doubt both will be on the same console, but I think that we could see one 5th gen Pokemon on the Wii-U and another one on the 3DS. The two most likely are of course Zoroark and Victini with Zoroark on the Wii-U and Victini on the 3DS (Or vice versa).

I think this means no new 1st gen rep nor the return of Lucario/Mewtwo, but I'm okay with those five as long as you can transfer the other Pokemon to the Wii-U.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
No one felt bad after losing to Jigglypuff?
Terrible! talking about it they could improve our dear Jigglooo! (it's logical that she would remain unbalanced and weightless) his attacks could be stronger and your Puff Up! could be most effective, for example, something could prevent the opponent jump on it and escape in time to be smashed against the wall (love doing this!)

refugee

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that Sakurai has very little to draw from in terms of first-party IPs, the only new IPs from Nintendo I can think of at the moment is The Rolling Western, which isn't likely due to being a downloadable title. We're more likely to see new reps for established franchises then to see new franchises entirely. Kid Icarus is growing in popularity, and it's not out of the question we'll see a new character due to the pool of potential Nintendo characters decreasing. I'd rather see Medusa before they're forced to resort to bottom-of-the-barrel characters like Princess Daisy.
If Sakurai were to draw from retro franchises and 2nd parties though he still has a ton to draw from.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
All things considered, I think the 3DS is certainly powerful enough for a roster of 30 characters or so. There are a lot less cinematic specials to worry about, and 30 isn't exactly a huge roster size anyway.

AND. Seriously? Come now. If they programmed Mewtwo as much as they did into Brawl, I'm SURE... 90% sure he has a chance of being in SSB4. He had Final Smash sound effects and his own victory theme, FFS! o_O Don't tell me they weren't planning to go somewhere with that.
I'm sorry but what? I just did some research and I'm not finding the "facts" that you have found. Care you cite a source please?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I thought it was going to be from 38 to 42. It was 39 so I guess I was in the right range.
My range is 42-48. I'm not raising my personal expectations higher than that. There is also the possibility of splitting the roster between the 3DS and Wii U. And by linking the 3DS game with the Wii U version you can have the full roster. But I doubt that will happen as this would go over SO well with the fanbase...

D

Deleted member

My range is 42-48. I'm not raising my personal expectations higher than that. There is also the possibility of splitting the roster between the 3DS and Wii U. And by linking the 3DS game with the Wii U version you can have the full roster. But I doubt that will happen as this would go over SO well with the fanbase...
Which is a shame because going by this idea that Cell Junior proposed, there is a very slight chance that we could see over 60 characters on both platforms and would make over 50 characters that much more likely (Including transformations).

Personally, the lowest I am willing to go is 44 and I think it's possible that we could see 50. I think 46-48 is the most likely IMO (Not including transformations. Transformation would be 48-54).

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm sorry but what? I just did some research and I'm not finding the "facts" that you have found. Care you cite a source please?
It's been on a few sites, including the Smash Wiki, since a while after Brawl's release.

"Hacking has revealed Mewtwo to have been partially programmed, possessing its own character model and victory tune. It is possible that this data simply existed for referential purposes by the programmers, or that data was imported from Melee for some reason. Further hacking has revealed that Mewtwo's sound when selected on the character selection screen is also intact, supporting the theory it was planned for Brawl but was scrapped in development. Other sounds have reportedly been found such as Shadow Ball, Teleport, and a loud yelling noise with Mewtwo's voice, possibly suggesting he even had a Final Smash programmed. This is possible proof that Mewtwo was left out due to time constraints. After this, The Smash Back Room played a mass joke on Smashboards, even making a character discussion thread about Mewtwo and posting about how overpowered he supposedly was."

I was there for that joke, and I was so confused. xD

It was on smashwiki, and... What's it called, Destructoid? Or something?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'm guessing between 45-50, assuming they keep most of the SSBB roster. I was thinking between 35-38 for SSBB, for those curious.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
It's been on a few sites, including the Smash Wiki, since a while after Brawl's release.

"Hacking has revealed Mewtwo to have been partially programmed, possessing its own character model and victory tune. It is possible that this data simply existed for referential purposes by the programmers, or that data was imported from Melee for some reason. Further hacking has revealed that Mewtwo's sound when selected on the character selection screen is also intact, supporting the theory it was planned for Brawl but was scrapped in development. Other sounds have reportedly been found such as Shadow Ball, Teleport, and a loud yelling noise with Mewtwo's voice, possibly suggesting he even had a Final Smash programmed. This is possible proof that Mewtwo was left out due to time constraints. After this, The Smash Back Room played a mass joke on Smashboards, even making a character discussion thread about Mewtwo and posting about how overpowered he supposedly was."

I was there for that joke, and I was so confused. xD

It was on smashwiki, and... What's it called, Destructoid? Or something?
Perhaps I should restate myself, a reliable source please.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Perhaps I should restate myself, a reliable source please.
Reliable is really in the eye of the beholder. <_< I think if it's been on two semi-reliable sites for as long as it has with no issue, then there's no issue.

It may or may not be true that he was directly planned for Brawl, but at the very least he was partially programmed, which means something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom