• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Silly Kyle Video Archive and Critique Thread

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Why would you NOT approach a Zelda?
Watch the vids, she can't even camp you with Din's at all.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
<3 Mocha you put up a good fight!

As for approaching Zelda... Peach's options are pretty safe not to mention Peach has a whole host of attacks to cancel Din's most notably her neutral air. You can also shield, air dodge, or roll away.

As if you thought it couldn't get any worse than Peach... it can. Meta Knight, Olimar, Snake, Falco, G&W, and Ice Climbers are one tier more difficult than Peach.

z00ted

<3 Mocha you put up a good fight!

As for approaching Zelda... Peach's options are pretty safe not to mention Peach has a whole host of attacks to cancel Din's most notably her neutral air. You can also shield, air dodge, or roll away.

As if you thought it couldn't get any worse than Peach... it can. Meta Knight, Olimar, Snake, Falco, G&W, and Ice Climbers are one tier more difficult than Peach.
Yeah, she won game 5 with that nasty spike at 50%.
I can't even imagine a -4 matchup, I don't know how you guys do it.

Your Peach is looking better Illy, nice job.
Thanks, Gladiel.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
I'm watching the videos now. Illm did a fantastic job keeping on the pressure, but a lot of the 'mistakes' I've seen came more from Mocha's side than Illm's. I'll tell why tomorrow when I'm more awake.

By no means is this an easy match for Zelda. It's easily one of Zelda's worst -2 matchups, if not a -3. But I'll try to give some insight as to what should be done by Zelda in the MU that gives her a little bit more of a chance.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
One thing that I noticed while watching the videos last night, Mocha, was how much you used Din's. While it is a valid mix-in for when Peach is approaching and/or falling from the air, you do NOT want to use it as many times as you did. The situations you should use it are whenever she either a) is far enough away where a glidetoss won't immediately reach you, or b) doesn't have a turnip in the first place as added pressure/harassment. Otherwise, as Illm demonstrated, you let Peach get in and all over you.

Another thing you did not do was use Zelda's downsmash as a 'get off me' move. In fact, you barely used it at all. It is indeed powerful when your opponent gets to higher percents, but Peach is one of those opponents where the trajectory of the move is not going to make a single bit of difference. If you don't outright KO Peach, she's coming back unless you somehow catch her after her second jump and float have been used. The longer Peach stays on top of you with that pressure, the worse it's going to get.

Instead of aiming for kicks while in midair, what you should utilize more is Zelda's nair. It has a fair enough amount of disjointedness, and as such can give additional pressure to Peach. If she's aiming to land on a platform above you, wait until she's close enough where she must choose on how to land, and cover it with Zelda's nair. At the worst, you'll do shield damage. At the best, you'll get extra precious percents on Peach and possibly even keep the pressure on. At low percents, it even keeps Peach somewhat close where the threat of your powerful moves is enough to scare just about anyone into immediately going to the defensive, putting you even further into the driver's seat.

Another thing you need to work on is knowing when you can stay underneath your opponent for a lot of pressure, or when you need to put distance between you two to reset the situation to something more in your favor. For these purposes, Zelda's usmash, pivot grab, and even dash attack are not bad solutions. While usmash is a lovely killing move, you need to get Peach to those percents first, and chances are usmash won't be the only move you'll be connecting with in between. If you really feel like you've staled usmash too much to KO, use utilt, as it stays out forever, eating all air dodges(and Peach is the worst of them all), but also KOs at lower percents. Use and abuse this fact.

You give Illm way too much room on the ledge, allowing him to get back on the stage with no trading damage at all. Try to stand a bit back out of ledge attack range. From there, it's a simple matter to walk forward to dsmash, dash to usmash, kick, or react to a roll and kick Peach, as I believe her ledge roll covers about the same distance as Zelda's. Zelda doesn't have as much pressure as Peach in almost all other cases, but it's here where she does have some devastating options to keep Peach modest.

Finally, if Peach(or any other opponent for that matter) is getting too gutsy with their pressure or presence, try to use Nayru's Love. If you can, wait until they're dedicated in their approach. If you're close to the ledge, reverse it so they go from an advantageous situation(pressuring you near the ledge) to being slightly thrown off the stage(and having to get back on the stage against Zelda's powerful moves). There were a few instances where that or just pivot grabbing Illm would have helped you immensely, and you just sat there in shield until you got hit.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
To add to you Mikey I didn't watch the vids but zelda's dair against our recovery is amazing. It doesn't even have to spike. It will send us low enough to not recover.

:phone:

z00ted

Mikey, that was like the best critique I've ever read.

I definitely agree on learning when to back up if I'm approaching, nairing more often, downsmash sometimes... instead of always going for the upsmash, and using pivot grabs.

Mocha, it just seems like you need to learn how to abuse Peach's weaknesses a bit more (like I was telling you while we were playing). I'm positive you'll learn the matchup a lot better within due time.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Well you could start by pressing down and B.
That's an instant auto loss for me lol, since I can't use Sheik at all, but would like to :/

One thing that I noticed while watching the videos last night, Mocha, was how much you used Din's. While it is a valid mix-in for when Peach is approaching and/or falling from the air, you do NOT want to use it as many times as you did. The situations you should use it are whenever she either a) is far enough away where a glidetoss won't immediately reach you, or b) doesn't have a turnip in the first place as added pressure/harassment. Otherwise, as Illm demonstrated, you let Peach get in and all over you.
I did use a lot of Din's. I also think I underrated Peach's spacing and how quickly she can get in awhile using Din's. I'm usually comfortable enough with the projectile so that I can stop using it a little after mid range, when my opponent starts to come in on me. I did not space it well in these matches. I tried to bait with Din's, because I noticed he liked approaching with glide toss + follow-up, or dash attack - and I wanted to punish his approaches, but my spacing and reaction time wasn't good enough. Din's can also stop turnips when released correctly. I think it just hurt me more than helped me though, since she can move in so quickly.

Another thing you did not do was use Zelda's downsmash as a 'get off me' move. In fact, you barely used it at all. It is indeed powerful when your opponent gets to higher percents, but Peach is one of those opponents where the trajectory of the move is not going to make a single bit of difference. If you don't outright KO Peach, she's coming back unless you somehow catch her after her second jump and float have been used. The longer Peach stays on top of you with that pressure, the worse it's going to get.
I didn't use down smash? Weird, yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I usually use all her smashes, not sure why I left that one out. Do you have any suggestions on a good time to use down smash against her? I always feel like it's not always very good if she's floating above me most of the time.

Instead of aiming for kicks while in midair, what you should utilize more is Zelda's nair. It has a fair enough amount of disjointedness, and as such can give additional pressure to Peach. If she's aiming to land on a platform above you, wait until she's close enough where she must choose on how to land, and cover it with Zelda's nair. At the worst, you'll do shield damage. At the best, you'll get extra precious percents on Peach and possibly even keep the pressure on. At low percents, it even keeps Peach somewhat close where the threat of your powerful moves is enough to scare just about anyone into immediately going to the defensive, putting you even further into the driver's seat.
I was actually not aiming for a lightning kick, but using it for spacing/aerial canceling, but I failed to do that. In fact I didn't do aerial canceling in those matches as much as I usually do when I'm focused. If I had, I would have used more nair. I actually did a lot more nair canceling after fighting his other characters (Illmatic knows this, because Zelda could string aerial cancels into follow-ups, like nair cancel do back air/grab/upsmash/etc). The couple of times I did use nair against Peach though, we'd trade hits, and we'd get sent in opposite directions from each other - with her taking like 2 percent, and me taking a lot more. And we barely had any matches on Battlefield, so I couldn't really abuse the platforms much. Funnily enough the one time I won was on Battlefield.

Another thing you need to work on is knowing when you can stay underneath your opponent for a lot of pressure, or when you need to put distance between you two to reset the situation to something more in your favor. For these purposes, Zelda's usmash, pivot grab, and even dash attack are not bad solutions. While usmash is a lovely killing move, you need to get Peach to those percents first, and chances are usmash won't be the only move you'll be connecting with in between. If you really feel like you've staled usmash too much to KO, use utilt, as it stays out forever, eating all air dodges(and Peach is the worst of them all), but also KOs at lower percents. Use and abuse this fact.
My problem is that when I'm underneath Peach, I don't know when to release my shield. If I shield too long, I get hit. If I release my shield too soon, I get hit. Even Zelda's upsmash out of shield isn't always viable for me in this MU. And yeah I like to use uptilt on Peach for the kill too. I should have used it more for punishing landings. I often used uptilt at the wrong times, like when we're both on the ground close to each other. Free shield grab for Peach, or w/e she wants.

You give Illm way too much room on the ledge, allowing him to get back on the stage with no trading damage at all. Try to stand a bit back out of ledge attack range. From there, it's a simple matter to walk forward to dsmash, dash to usmash, kick, or react to a roll and kick Peach, as I believe her ledge roll covers about the same distance as Zelda's. Zelda doesn't have as much pressure as Peach in almost all other cases, but it's here where she does have some devastating options to keep Peach modest.
I agree with you on that. I didn't edgeguard much at all. I actually did down smash him near the edge in one match, which killed him. I didn't abuse it much later because I didn't think he'd fall for it again.

Finally, if Peach(or any other opponent for that matter) is getting too gutsy with their pressure or presence, try to use Nayru's Love. If you can, wait until they're dedicated in their approach. If you're close to the ledge, reverse it so they go from an advantageous situation(pressuring you near the ledge) to being slightly thrown off the stage(and having to get back on the stage against Zelda's powerful moves). There were a few instances where that or just pivot grabbing Illm would have helped you immensely, and you just sat there in shield until you got hit.
Thing about Nayru's Love is that, while it can hit from behind and takes a lot of hits to shield - is the cooldown. If the opponent knows how to shield through all the hits, the cooldown of the move is miserable. I use Nayru's as a mixup now and then but I don't like to overuse it, because it usually gets me punished. I had picked up on an excessive Nayru's Love habit (due to wifail) and it hurt me at the last tournament I attended. I've been trying to tone it down lately, and stick it to simple unpredictable mix-ups, or an occasional Nayru's Love jump to boost my recovery.

Anyway thank you for all the critique and helpful tips. You gave me some insight to a couple of things I didn't use enough, and things to think about for trying out next time I play a Peach again.

To add to you Mikey I didn't watch the vids but zelda's dair against our recovery is amazing. It doesn't even have to spike. It will send us low enough to not recover.

:phone:
Yeah I noticed that even the sour spot down air can really mess you guys up

Mikey, that was like the best critique I've ever read.

I definitely agree on learning when to back up if I'm approaching, nairing more often, downsmash sometimes... instead of always going for the upsmash, and using pivot grabs.

Mocha, it just seems like you need to learn how to abuse Peach's weaknesses a bit more (like I was telling you while we were playing). I'm positive you'll learn the matchup a lot better within due time.
I hope so haha. Thanks for the friendlies, we'll have to play again sometime (:

'V'

Smash Lord

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Sup Peaches, got some losses I'd like critiqued

SmileyFace (Peach) vs AirVault (Marth) 1
SmileyFace vs AirVault 2

Game one was pretty terrible, but I made some very obvious mistakes. Game 2 was closer but the biggest thing was getting edgeguarded. I just don't know how to get back on the stage (This is hard vs Marth as Game&Watch too)

You can be brutal my feelings wont get hurt (If you are only going to watch one then the first has more mistakes to critique but the second has better performance)

z00ted

Meno, give me ownership of this thread pleaaase.

I'll update it really quickly from the past five months.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oh right, this is mine.

NO ILLMATIC, GET AWAY YOU'LL RUIN ALL MY BEAUTIFUL BBC CODE

'V'

Smash Lord
So I'm going to a tournament tomorrow for a charity. Pretty cool, huh?

Anyone have any specific info on fighting Wario? And, Illmatic, do you have any specific info on fighting JNig's Wario? I know you've fought it before. Any help would be awesome. :)

z00ted

Dude, just go f'ing crazy.
I'm 100% serious.

Watch your move inputs at low percent / high percent.. because you don't want him to combo you or kill you.
When you are at mid percents, just go crazy with buffered bairs, fairs, ground float nairs, EVERYTHING.
Have your combo game down and stay moving with glide tossed turnips and stuff.

Just play super aggressive and you are golden.
Remember that you can go for the grab, but don't make it too obvious.

Peach bomb the bike if he lets it out and do bairs off of it. Bair outranges everything Wario has.
Best counterpick stages are FD and Battlefield.

Ban Halberd.

'V'

Smash Lord
Dude, just go f'ing crazy.
I'm 100% serious.

Watch your move inputs at low percent / high percent.. because you don't want him to combo you or kill you.
When you are at mid percents, just go crazy with buffered bairs, fairs, ground float nairs, EVERYTHING.
Have your combo game down and stay moving with glide tossed turnips and stuff.

Just play super aggressive and you are golden.
Remember that you can go for the grab, but don't make it too obvious.

Peach bomb the bike if he lets it out and do bairs off of it. Bair outranges everything Wario has.
Best counterpick stages are FD and Battlefield.

Ban Halberd.
Man, this REALLY helped me today!! I almost won the whole set against him. Came down to the last hit of the last stock of the last game. He got me with a stage spike, though. :(

It was a fun charity tourney. No salt whatsoever.

I really want to go to a HOBO sometime so that we can talk face to face. I can get some good practice in, plus I feel it'd be really fun. :)

z00ted

LMAO, I'm glad it helped.
That was just a super quick, five second writeup.
The Wario matchup is my absolute favorite in the game.

You should definitely come down to a HOBO!
They are tons of fun, and you'll learn a ton of stuff from playing so many great players.
Ask if you can carpool with Jnig or something for the next one, him and I teamed last time.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Top Bottom