• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I don't think it's necessarilly a matter of realism (laser backflips lol), since they both have sort of exaggerated reality motifs, though the fact Metal Gear has a more fantastic element to it certainly helps. I think it's more just that Snake as a character is more dynamic, prolific, and has a lot more to work with for gameplay than your average RE character. I think MGS3 really helped to show that the Snake character wasn't just about guns (even if it wasn't technically Snake but close enough). The guns were just items, the character was all about his motif of being one hell of a soldier.
Yeah, the RE characters are horribly cliche, one-sided characters. That's why we love them so much, and also why they'll never be individually popular.

Snake's a gaming icon. He might not be a complete household name like Mario, but then, there really isn't anyone else like that anyways. He's close though...

Just as long as they finally decide on a decent new look for him. Not even Kojima(not the MG one)'s managed to come up with a cool looking modern Simon, and she made Trevor/Ralph look ridiculously cool.
Hey, I think the red and black Simon with red hair looks pretty freaking awesome.

I'll always be partial to his original, Conan the Barbarian look, but I think Ayami Kojima did a good job of reimageining him. What's NOT good is his Judgement design. I'm really disappointed that they let the Death Note guy do all the character designs for that. Aside from Dracula, nobody else looks at all good.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Finally someone who agrees. It can't be mistake that MK,DDD,and Snake are all characters that he favors and breaks. Kirby got a buff, and Fox got a nerf.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Finally someone who agrees. It can't be mistake that MK,DDD,and Snake are all characters that he favors and breaks. Kirby got a buff, and Fox got a nerf.
Considering Kirby was one of the worst in Melee,I dont think giving him a boost can be used against him.

Agree on Snake,D3 and MK though.

Edit:DEAD THREAD

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the RE characters are horribly cliche, one-sided characters. That's why we love them so much, and also why they'll never be individually popular.

Snake's a gaming icon. He might not be a complete household name like Mario, but then, there really isn't anyone else like that anyways. He's close though...

Hey, I think the red and black Simon with red hair looks pretty freaking awesome.

I'll always be partial to his original, Conan the Barbarian look, but I think Ayami Kojima did a good job of reimageining him. What's NOT good is his Judgement design. I'm really disappointed that they let the Death Note guy do all the character designs for that. Aside from Dracula, nobody else looks at all good.

I'm...sort of ok with everything above the waist, but below is a different story. Its the boots.

I'm not a picky guy when it comes to raunchy looking outfits at all really, but it's just a very very ugly design to me. Especially in comparison to Kojima's other designs. The modern Richters look awesome. Modern Alucard and Maria look awesome. Modern Trevor looks awesome. Modern Dracula via her hand looks insanely awesome. This is..., it's just...boots..

To be honest I kind of prefer guest starring Light Yagami as Simon Belmont just slightly more to this but it's not saying much. Simon's had it pretty rough.

Besides, can you see this design making it into a Smash Brothers game? lol

Fish-E

Smash Rookie
Items needed. Jetpacks from Starfox and Megaman should be in it... He's been on loads of nintendo consoles (shame most of the games sucked) or Pacman with Ghosts as assist Trophy's...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Kirby's definitely better than he was in Melee, and Meta-Knight's...well, he's Meta-Knight: nuff' said. Dedede's the best heavy by far, and Snake's just....blech.

But we've known he favors Kirby since Smash 64. Kirby vs. Mario in the opening scene? Kirby being ridiculously good? In Melee, he was nerfed, but in all fairness, he was just that good in 64. Even then, he was always heavily-featured on the game's promotional stuff.

Y'can't really blame the guy. I mean, aside from Kirby, the only original thing he's done is Meteos. So, it's only a bit natural for him to favor those characters.

I agree with Kiyosuki on the subject of Snake though. I genuinely enjoy having him there because he's just so amazingly cool, not because he has amazingly big hitboxes or anything. To reinforce my stance on this, I absolutely despised Falco and Marth in Melee because they were broken. However, unlike Snake, I never actually had played with Marth outside
the bedroom
Smash, and Falco was a clone, so they really had nothing else going for them.

But Snake...man, how can you not love the guy?

EDIT - They can fix the boots. Gentlemen, we can fix them. We have the technology. We have the capability to build a pair of good-looking boots. Simon Belmont will be the man that wears those boots. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, characters such as Falco and Marth are still broken. Yet, mid-tier Melee characters such as Samus, Jigglypuff, Falcon, Ganondorf, and Mario got nerfed to hell.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
BLAH. SO TiREd< YET....must...QUOTE!!!!

ChronoBound said:
Also, characters such as Falco
You did not seriously just tell me Falco is broken.

darkserenade said:
He wears spandex. That's good enough a reason for me.
You know who else wears spandex?

YOUR MOM

OH BURN

I am really freaking tired

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I think he did an awesome job bringing Dedede into this game. Even if he didn't have the chaingrab, he'd still be an all around great character that has everything a heavy character needs to succeed, but not in a hugely overwhelming way.

Meta Knight I think is just a product of his design. A character that's always been about super quick slashes all over the place was just destined to have balance issues, a lot of people I bet saw it coming a mile away. The kind of tweaks MK will need to bring him down a notch will be the very particular, small detail kinds of things.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Meta Knight I think is just a product of his design. A character that's always been about super quick slashes all over the place was just destined to have balance issues, a lot of people I bet saw it coming a mile away. The kind of tweaks MK will need to bring him down a notch will be the very particular, small detail kinds of things.
What are you talking about? Lower knockback, more lag, less damage are all easy and large details.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
He wears spandex. That's good enough a reason for me.
Chrono, wasn't Mario buffed?
Mario was middle-tier in Melee. He is now low-tier in Brawl. As for Falco still being broken, he considered to be in the top 10 best characters in Brawl. He is a really good character.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
What are you talking about? Lower knockback, more lag, less damage are all easy and large details.

Maybe you're right, though when it comes to distributing extra lag around the moves they don't want to cripple the character either. If he can't chain anything together and he has low knockback then we'd have the opposite problem perhaps.

I personally think a great way to deal with a lot of these issues in the next game is to make the hitstun more charcter specific. Rather than have everyone have the same stun time (or lack of it), it's more flexible. Like certain characters will be stunned longer than others and vise versa. A character like Bowser for instance, won't stay stunned for too long...maybe even have flinch resistance for smaller moves, while a character like Meta Knight who's got crazy offensive potential has a longer period of stun when he gets hit, especially when harder hitting moves are used. Maybe even make it so certain moves in each characters' arsenal can cause longer stun if they hit. It'd have to have more tweaks than what I'm describing here and of course I don't know if it's the development team's intention to even do stuff like this, but I think it's not a bad idea potentially. It could give characters even more distinction.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
That's it. Those are all that are actually needed - seven more characters. All others, and please realize this, are forced. All of the other ideas that we've come up with are forced characters. SSB64 started to build the cake, and Brawl finished it. The aforementioned seven characters (notice none are the "forbidden seven") will be the finishing icing and cherry on top. Then, we're done. Everything else would be forced, just adding for the sake of expansion, not for balance. Nintendo is represented by a handful of characters, not by all of its characters.

Trust me, I would love to see a meteor of diversity crash into Smash Bros and change it up so that we have many different characters, and for the most part, we do, but characters like Lip, Sukapon, Takamaru, Claus, Roy, and many others simply do not represent Nintendo like the staples do. It's sad, yes, because so many characters never saw too much light, and odds are, probably never will in their current state. Fortunately, games like Captain Rainbow and Super Smash Bros have brought less known characters into the spotlight for all to enjoy. However... this does not seem to be the direction that Smash Bros is headed in, unfortunately.
Super Smash Bros. began on the Nintendo 64, as a game to bring together Nintendo's All-stars to duke it out in a fashion never before seen, and it did just that. It was succeeded by Super Smash Bros. Melee, which took the concept that Smash Bros was based on, and expanded in, with new representatives, further rounding out the structure. Seven years later, Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released, and while expanding the roster even more, it broke the barrier of being a "Nintendo All-Stars" game with the introduction of Snake and Sonic. Now, just mere months after Brawl's release, we're already worrying and speculating on the future of the series. Why? Because Brawl did something that we are all fascinated by, whether or not we like it - the introduction of third party characters. While there were only two, pretty much everyone wanted/wants to see more.

Super Smash Bros. has run its course of being a Nintendo All-Stars game, and has now become a Nintendo and relative companies All-Stars game, where characters before thought to have no choice whatsoever of inclusion now have a chance to face off against the Nintendo characters that we love (and hate). Smash Bros. needs to branch off further into the second/third party world, bringing in characters relative to Nintendo's systems to further upheave their popularity, and hence, garner new fans and more money. It'd benefit Nintendo and its guest companies greatly, and would benefit the fans by opening up Smash Bros. to the video game world, expanding the audience, and making a kickass game.
Sorry it's from a few pages back (but then again, most of the last few pages were off-topic). Spire III, I'm totally with you here. Brawl pretty much filled in the rest of the blanks in Nintendo's All-Star roster, and the characters that people are wanting a few months after Brawl's release are just becoming way too obscure to warrant a new game based on just Nintendo. Sakurai took a step in the right direction with 3rd parties, I feel. Brawl could be that last game that focuses solely on Nintendo characters duking it out with just a few guests. Taking the series further, into everyone's favorite Nintendo characters + loved characters from other companies would be an even better progression for Smash.

I hate to say it (because Krystal is one of them), but a wave of obscure newcomers and representatives just to 'balance' franchise representation probably does not warrant a new game.

Penísu-Chan

Smash Rookie
I hope the next game will have 43 characters (more would be tooooo much!)
And also 43 stages (more would be tooooo much!)

43 characters, 43 stages... And there should be exactly 10 tracks for each stage.

And improved online play and improved Sub-Spabe Emissary (stages and enemies actually based on different parts of the Nintendo Universe, like a Pokémon route filled with Pidgeys and Rattatas).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sorry it's from a few pages back (but then again, most of the last few pages were off-topic). Spire III, I'm totally with you here. Brawl pretty much filled in the rest of the blanks in Nintendo's All-Star roster, and the characters that people are wanting a few months after Brawl's release are just becoming way too obscure to warrant a new game based on just Nintendo. Sakurai took a step in the right direction with 3rd parties, I feel. Brawl could be that last game that focuses solely on Nintendo characters duking it out with just a few guests. Taking the series further, into everyone's favorite Nintendo characters + loved characters from other companies would be an even better progression for Smash.

I hate to say it (because Krystal is one of them), but a wave of obscure newcomers and representatives just to 'balance' franchise representation probably does not warrant a new game.
I firmly disagree. There are still a handful of characters from series already represented in Smash Bros. that deserve to make it (Ridley, K. Rool, Black Shadow, Mewtwo, Roy, Bowser Jr.).

There are also quite a few series that deserve a playable character such as Famicom Wars, Paper Mario, Custom Robo, The Legend of Stafy, Punch-Out, and Golden Sun.

Smash Bros. can definitely survive for one more installment as a series dedicated to Nintendo All-Stars.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think these Phoenix Wright images are getting out of hand. Does anyone have any comments on my latest post?

darkserenade

Smash Ace
I firmly disagree. There are still a handful of characters from series already represented in Smash Bros. that deserve to make it (Ridley, K. Rool, Black Shadow, Mewtwo, Roy, Bowser Jr.).

There are also quite a few series that deserve a playable character such as Famicom Wars, Paper Mario, Custom Robo, The Legend of Stafy, Punch-Out, and Golden Sun.

Smash Bros. can definitely survive for one more installment as a series dedicated to Nintendo All-Stars.
Little Mac would be kinda boring, since he's all punching. Custom Robo might not make it, and Stafy's moveset has little potiential.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No such thing as enough PW.
Anyway,can you explain Stafy's or whatever thst stat AT'S name significance is?
Well, there have been five games in the Stafy series to date. The first three games in the series sold around 200-300K copies. Its quite popular, and by putting the character in Smash Bros. it would increase the prospects that the series would be brought outside Japan.

Little Mac would be kinda boring, since he's all punching. Custom Robo might not make it, and Stafy's moveset has little potiential.
In regards to Little Mac, I think you have not seen Balrog or Dudley in Street Fighter....

Also, Custom Robo has had five games to date, I say it deserves a playable character at this point.

Also, Stafy has quite a bit of moveset potential if you have seen/played his games.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Well, there have been five games in the Stafy series to date. The first three games in the series sold around 200-300K copies. Its quite popular, and by putting the character in Smash Bros. it would increase the prospects that the series would be brought outside Japan.
From reading Wikipedia,liek the most reliable source eva,it sounds like some easy underwater 2D platformer.

And by easy,I mean beating the final boss in less than 2 minutes easy

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
From reading Wikipedia,liek the most reliable source eva,it sounds like some easy underwater 2D platformer.

And by easy,I mean beating the final boss in less than 2 minutes easy
You do know that the final bosses in Kirby games can be beaten in about two minutes as well right? (or at least the ones in Kirby Super Star).

A game's difficulty should have no bearing on how many characters it should receive. If that were the case, Fire Emblem would have the most characters simply for Thracia 776 alone.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
You do know that the final bosses in Kirby games can be beaten in about two minutes as well right? (or at least the ones in Kirby Super Star).

A game's difficulty should have no bearing on how many characters it should receive. If that were the case, Fire Emblem would have the most characters simply for Thracia 776 alone.
Another thing,the cutesy appearance of Stafy reminds me of Kirby.

If the game is to easy,it has no challange,can be a cake walk and you might not get involved in it because you wouldnt focus on it enough.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Another thing,the cutesy appearance of Stafy reminds me of Kirby.

If the game is to easy,it has no challange,can be a cake walk and you might not get involved in it because you wouldnt focus on it enough.
Then I guess Kirby Super Star must be terrible game.

The game's do have some challenge, however, it is aimed at a younger audience hence the easier difficulty.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master

With the possible exception of K. Rool and Ridley, we are definitely running out of main characters to use. Smash Bros. has never been about representing every single Nintendo series. There's really only a few handfuls represented anyway, even after 3 games.

The original Smash Bros. was revolutionary, and I think that as of Brawl, we've nearly filled the Nintendo melting pot to the brim. The track that Smash has been running on so far has almost run its course. It's time to expand the horizons. I'm not saying that these other Nintendo newcomers can't still appear in Smash, but there's got to be more mainstream characters, and other game companies can provide that if all works out.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
With the possible exception of K. Rool and Ridley, we are definitely running out of main characters to use. Smash Bros. has never been about representing every single Nintendo series. There's really only a few handfuls represented anyway, even after 3 games.

The original Smash Bros. was revolutionary, and I think that as of Brawl, we've nearly filled the Nintendo melting pot to the brim. The track that Smash has been running on so far has almost run its course. It's time to expand the horizons. I'm not saying that these other Nintendo newcomers can't still appear in Smash, but there's got to be more mainstream characters, and other game companies can provide that if all works out.
No its not. There are still important characters from series already represented as well as series that have not yet been represented. Tell me, how many people knew who Ness was prior to Smash Bros.? Smash Bros. helps people become familiar with series they might not otherwise play.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Oh, you thought the SSE was over with the defeat of Nightmare? Not quite...if one clears the SSE with 100% and then re-defeats (or beats for the first time) Nightmare, they'll be returned to the map screen as normal...but one of the stages will not be 100% cleared; the stage where you fight Galleom as Lucas and Pokemon Trainer. Why not head back there and see what's up...?

Upon heading back to the stage, one will discover a strange glowing purple door. Now...since this is only a normal SSE stage, you can only choose four characters; make sure they're your best four as you'll have to fight the secret final boss of the SSE directly after going through the door! And who better for a secret final boss than...

Culex

“I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future... I consume time... And I will consume you!”​

Culex is a dimensional travelling Dark Knight from the distant land of Vanda as well as the secret final boss of Super Mario RPG...and now Super Smash Bros. Brawl! Originally, Culex appeared in Monstro Town behind a door that only a "Shiny Rock" could open. Sent from Vanda by the Dark Mage, Culex was sent possibly to take over the Mushroom Kingdom...but eventually discovered that Mario's world was unlivable for his kind. With his mission failed, Culex waited in the dimensional rift between his realm and the Mushroom Kingdom, awaiting a challenge from the Mushroom Kingdom's "strongest knight" before he returned. Mario and crew fought Culex along with his elemental crystals and ultimately defeated the Dark Knight who was honored by their hard fought fight and granted Mario the Quartz Charm, a really handy accessory. Culex leaves for Vanda, teling Mario as he leaves: "Thank you, brave knight. I will treasure this memento of my journey here. Perhaps in another time, another game, we may have been enemies... Let us part as comrades in arms."

Perhaps that time is now...or perhaps Culex just wishes to fight stronger knights again. Either way, upon entering the door, the player comes face to face with Culex who gives his "I am matter. . ." quote before exclaiming "En guarde!" the true final battle begins!!

Secret Final Boss: Culex

Boss Theme

Culex is one mean final boss. He has a whopping 1,800HP and has a number of deadly attacks he'll use to finish you off. Keep in mind that you only have four characters to beat this guy too...so play very carefully! Fortunately, Culex won't be included in Boss Battles; if you care to fight him again, play this stage again! To make matters even worse, Culex doesn't fight alone; that'd be too easy...instead, he brings his four Elemental Crystals that are with him at all times and can attack seperately from Culex himself! For the most part though, Culex is stationary aside from his ability to teleport around. As for the Crystals, they circle around Culex, stopping only to fire off attacks. Destroying the Crystals helps make the fight easier for sure...but it also makes the fight longer; do you want to take Culex out asap or even up your odds...? I'll go over the Crystals first...

Earth Crystal

The Earth Crystal has the highest HP of all the Crystals at 325HP. It is however the slowest (at Ganondorf's run speed) of the Crystals making it one of the easiest to hit...which is probably a good thing as its attacks are incredibly annoying and tend to be far more distracting than the other Crystals. Because the Crystals are just that, crystals, you have to pay extra special attention to their attack "gives" before they do attack...this can be incredibly annoying however when in the thick of the fight. Just know that each Crystal will blink a certain amount of times before each of their attacks.

Boulder:
Blinking only once, Earth Crystal will turn a dark brown as large boulders the size of Kirby start raining from the sky! These boulders are rather damaging and there's quite a few of them so do your best to avoid them! They do only have 10% stamina each however so they can be smashed out of the sky before they hit you. If one of these boulders do hit you however, you'll take 12% and moderate knockback. Earth Crystal usually throws down between 5 to 10 of these at a time.

Sandstorm:
Earth Crystal will blink twice as it summons up a massive sandstorm from the bottom of the stage! This sandstorm is entirely unavoidable and will steadily damage characters for 1% per second but other than that, this won't do any harm to characters...directly. What it does do however is make Earth Crystal entirely invisible for the duration making it very hard to take it out and even harder to see other attacks incoming (regardless of Crystal). This sandstorm lasts for ten seconds...but thankfully, Earth Crystal won't constantly cast it.

Storm:
Strangely an electric attack yet Earth Crystal -DOES- use this, Earth Crystal will blink thrice signifying this attack's incoming. Shortly after it blinks for the third time, a massive shimmering blue wave of electricity will rain down from the sky, covering half the stage in pure blue energy. Touching this will deal 25% and medium-high knockback so make sure you avoid it. Fortunately, Earth Crystal only uses this attack when its on the far left of the screen or the far right; run under Earth Crystal to avoid this blast.

Water Blast:
I swear he knows this one too, don't yell at me! Blinking four times in rapid succession, Earth Crystal will uses its ultimate technique here...and it's quite the nightmare to dodge. Rain will start pouring from the sky as several bursts of water will errupt from random locations on the stage! These bursts will deal 15% damage and medium knockback...but the real catch is that they'll knock you towards the center of the stage. After five bursts, a massive explosion will occur center stage. If you get caught by this explosion, you'll take 40% and insane knockback! Avoid at all costs!

Fire Crystal

The Fire Crystal is next in terms of strength, coming in with 275HP and speed equal to that of Mario's dash. Fire Crystal has a ton of powerful attacks as well making it nightmarish to deal with in conjunction with the other Crystals and, of course, Culex himself.

Corona:
Fire Crystal will blink only once before flying to the center of the stage. It will then proceed to fire a massive beam of solar energy diagonally upwards to the right. This Bowser-wide beam of energy will deal 20% and medium-high knockback if your character touches it...but the real harm comes from the fact that Fire Crystal will sweep the beam counter-clockwise at a rapid pace! Run away or jump over Fire Crystal if you must...just make sure you stay away from this beam!

Flame:
Blinking twice, Fire Crystal summons a series of five fireballs that will fall down on your character's exact location, one at a time. These can be avoided however by constantly moving....but this of course puts you at risk of being hit by other attacks. If struck by a fireball, your character will take 8% damage and upward knockback....so you'll have to think quickly if you don't want to get struck by all five in a row.

Flame Wall:
Blinking three times, Fire Crystal will summon a massive wall of flames that will travel from the right side of the screen to the left. If this connects, it'll deal 25% damage and high knockback! Fortunately, it's one of the easier attacks to dodge. Like Tabuu's Off Waves, it can simply be side stepped when it approaches; since there's only one, it should be pretty easy to dodge...so long as you're not under pressure from other attacks.

Mega Drain:
An attack called Mega Drain that doesn't drain health. Silly, no? Well in Japan this move's name is actually "Light Saber." Either way, Fire Crystal will blink four times in rapid succession before flying over your character and hovering in place. Fire Crystal will proceed to follow your ever move for the next five seconds...before stopping to unleash a Bowser-wide beam of bright red energy directly below it! Providing you're under it when it does so, you'll take 50% and insane knockback. This is however a pretty good opportunity to damage the Fire Crystal before it attacks; keep attacking until you need to run!

Water Crystal
Yeah, for some reason the .gifs for these last two aren't as nice as the other ones. Regardless, the Water Crystal is a strange one. It actually uses -NO- water-based attacks. It also has 225HP and has Zero Suit Samus' movement speed. They may be getting faster and weaker health wise...but these last two Crystals still pack a punch!

Solidify:
You better keep moving once you see Water Crystal blink once! Exact three seconds after Water Crystal blinks, it will fire an orb of ice towards the stage! Once this touches the stage, the entire platform will be coated in ice instantly. If you're touching the ground when the platform freezes, you'll be frozen solid as well (and will take 12%). Jumping at the last second is your safest bet here. After a moment, the stage will instantly thaw meaning you won't have to worry about reduced traction or anything...unless...

Blizzard:
Unless Water Crystal uses this attack! If the crystal blinks twice, it will summon up a blizzard out of nowhere! This blizzard has three distinct downsides to it for your character. Like Earth Crystal's Sandstorm, this move will hide Water Crystal for as long as the blizzard continues (eight seconds). Secondly, standing still for too long (a second and a half) will result in your character being frozen solid and taking 15% damage. Finally, traction will be reduced and you will act as if you're on ice...which you are technically. Keep moving and ride out the blizzard!

Crystal:
Blinking three times, Water Crystal will fly upwards, off screen. A moment later, several dark shadows will appear on the stage. Find a clearing in them to hide, quickly! A brief moment later, several icy crystals will come crashing down from the ceiling in an attempt to crush you! If successful, you'll take 15% damage and be pitfalled, so make sure you find that safe spot and fast!

Diamond Saw:
Even the mere mention of this attack name strikes fear into the hearts of SMRPG veterans. Blinking four times, Water Crystal will quickly summon two razor sharp sawblades which will quickly fly off screen. A second later, these two blades return, one going horizontally, the other vertically, attempting to cross where the player is standing. If the player is struck by either blade (let alone both blades), they'll take 60% damage and high knockback. Being hit by both at the same time however is instant death.

Wind Crystal
The fourth and final Crystal also happens to be the weakest of the four. With only 150HP to back it up, Wind Crystal won't be around too long....it is however the speed of Captain Falcon...so maybe it will see some life to it. Wind Crystal possesses numerous Electricity based attacks to fight with, oddly enough...

Bolt:
Blinking once, Wind Crystal summons a fierce crack of lightning from the sky which strikes several random spots on the stage. These lightning bolts will deal 16% damage each and deal moderate upward knockback. Wind Crystal will summon up to six of these (they won't all strike at once) but usually summons about three at a time.

Static E!:
A strange attack for sure, Wind Crystal will blink twice and the begin glowing brightly. After about two seconds of this glowing, a huge burst of light will shoot out from Wind Crystal, zooming across the stage! Against what is probably your better judgement, simply shield this attack. This attack will deal zero damage to you and zero damage to your shield...but if you're not shielding, your character will enter a shattered shield state instantly after coming in contact with the light! Make sure to shield this move or you'll be a sitting duck for the next one!

Light Beam:
Wind Crystal will blink three times before it flies to the top of the screen! Moments later, the green crystal will fire a giant rainbow colored laser downward that slowly travels towards the stage! Coming in contact with this laser won't deal any damage...but it will put you to sleep instantly, regardless of whether your on the ground or not! The only way to dodge this attack is to go off stage before it connects. Wait until the last moment (but not too late) to get out of the way so you're not vulnerable afterwards.

Petal Blast:
In Super Mario RPG, this attack would turn your characters into Mushrooms. In Brawl, Wind Crystal will blink four times before a spray of petals fly across the stage! If you're hit by any of these Kirby-sized petals, you'll suffer from a random status condition! This could be something helpful such as a Super Mushroom or a Metal Box effect...or it could be something bad like a Poison Mushroom or a Lip's Stick effect. Just be aware that the odds of it being a negative status effect are slightly greater than the odds of it being beneficial.

Culex

But of course, you didn't forget whose boss fight this really is, did you?! Culex has only a scant few moves...but combined with the Crystals, he's a damn near impossible foe to defeat!

Meteor Blast:
Meteor Blast acts much like Tabuu's teleporting explosion in the actual Super Smash Bros. Culex will point to quite a few spots on the stage which will glow brightly for a moment before exploding harshly! Getting caught by this explosion will deal 20% and high knockback, so keep track of where they're going to be! Unless of course...Sandstorm or Blizzard is blocking your view...

Flame Stone:
A massive meteor will form in Culex's hands, a meteor the size of Bowser himself! Of course you know what he's going to do with this...THROW IT AT YOU. If you see this move coming, dash away as fast as possible! Culex will proceed to hurl the fireball towards your character; if this connects, it'll deal 30% damage and insane knockback! If it hits the stage however, it'll sit there for a few moments before exploding in a Smart Bomb-esque explosion that will deal 40% damage and high knockback! Pretty much avoid this attack period and you should be a-okay.

Dark Star:
Culex's most powerful attack. With one swift movement, Culex will point above his head as a massive black star (the size of a Smart Bomb explosion yet star-shaped) forms above him. A moment later, the Dark Knight will point towards the stage causing the star to crash into it, bouncing on the stage up to five times before bouncing off! Getting hit directly with the star will deal 999% damage and instant-death knockback...so stay to the edges of the arena and you should be safe from that. Each time the star bounces however, it creates a shockwave that will deal 30% damage and inward knockback; it'll try to pull you into the star! Jump the shockwaves whenever they approach however and you should be fine. Do note that Culex will only use this attack once his HP reaches half.

Once the player has defeated Culex...whenever that may be...Culex will admit his defeat with a sigh, conceeding that the Smash Bros. have bested him as the strongest knights in the realm, adding that he was surprised when Mario beat him the first time...but is humbled to have been beaten a second. With that, Culex departs from our world and the player gains 100% completion of the SSE. They also unlock the Culex Trophy as well as his boss theme for Final Destination. You also earn a slight chance of seeing Culex emerge from an Assist Trophy to perform his Dark Star attack!

Plus you...ya know? Beat one of the most infamous Mario bosses ever. Again.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
No its not. There are still important characters from series already represented as well as series that have not yet been represented. Tell me, how many people knew who Ness was prior to Smash Bros.? Smash Bros. helps people become familiar with series they might not otherwise play.
Your last statement is true, and that's a good thing. But can you tell me how many exactly people knew who Ness was prior to Smash? And how many people decided to play Mother/Earthbound after finding out what series he was from? Smash Bros. is a good advertisement for game series, but that's not necessarily all it's about.

It's thinking that all of these minor Nintendo characters need to be represented in order to progress the series that shows the stagnation of Smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Your last statement is true, and that's a good thing. But can you tell me how many exactly people knew who Ness was prior to Smash? And how many people decided to play Mother/Earthbound after finding out what series he was from? Smash Bros. is a good advertiser, but that's not necessarily all it's about.
I obviously don't have numbers. However, from anedoctal experience I would a lot of people were influenced into playing EarthBound by Ness's inclusion in Smash 64 and Melee. However, I was one of the few people that actually owned EarthBound prior to Smash 64. Also, Marth and Roy's popularity in Melee helped bring the series outside Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom