• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Cloud was hilarious,along with Barret or whatever Mr.T's name was.
Cloud acts at the age of 21 like a teenager goin through puberty,runing away form girls and being anti-social.

Barret was a huge stereotype,he'd go around swearing and shooting everywhere because he could,having huge hissy fits and telling everyone to go away,but has the Cliche with having "a heart of gold" or something along that line,or am I thinking of someone else?

Oh yeah,Cid was funny also,the good ol' redneck.

@Cheif,tons of other RPG's where made before its time,the only thing amazing "For its time" where thr graphics and I think sound quality.
Though,the graphics are terrible,Cloud doesnt have elbows or even fingers outside of battle.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Most video game characters are an amusing stereotype, it's just that it feels better to point that out with FFVII, because like I said it's simultaneously the most overrated and underated game of all time.

This is veering pretty far off topic now, but I gotta add some two cents to this. While I think the GTA games are of course a little overrated in general I think it's not entirely accurate to say GTAIII was the most overrated game of all time, because sometimes a game is overrated for a reason. GTAIII did basically help to create (or modernize depending on your point of view) a whole new gameplay style.

The thing about so called "overrated" games is they're usually controvertial for a reason. As much as people violently love or hate a game like FFVII fact is that it really did change a couple of things no matter how you personally feel about the game. Overrated I don't think necessarilly spells a bad game, I say in some ways FFVI is a little overrated but that doesn't make it bad by any means.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
OMFG goD DUDE YOU JUSt bLEW MY f*cKIng MIND HOLY SH*T
(Edgeworth is pleased with sucess)

GTA3 is genuinely a bad game that everyone likes because it introduced us to "The Sandbox", and because you can get in a tankandrunoverpeoplethengolikepickupahookerandhavesexwithherthenkillherandgrindachainsawintoherchestfortwentyminutesthentakebackthemoneyyouhiredherwith. The former isn't true, and the latter, no matter how totally bada** it might be, does not a good game make.
It certainly shouldn't warrant all the praise the game still gets. :dizzy:
That's what they want you to think.... But isn't it true?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Let's drop this discussion of Final Fantasy VII.

Also on the subject of Final Fantasy, the only fitting representative for the series in Smash Bros. is a Chocobo. However, I feel most people here will disagree with that, so therefore no one from that series should be made playable.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Let's drop this discussion of Final Fantasy VII.

Also on the subject of Final Fantasy, the only fitting representative for the series in Smash Bros. is a Chocobo. However, I feel most people here will disagree with that, so therefore no one from that series should be made playable.
I cant picture Chocobo nothing more than an AT.

Last FF7,I find it hilarious people say Cloud for Brawl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I cant picture Chocobo nothing more than an AT.

Last FF7,I find it hilarious people say Cloud for Brawl.
Like I said its the most fitting, but most people would disagree with it. On the Enix side of things the most fitting representative would be a Slime.

However, there are generally few third-party characters that are actually worthy of getting in and could be made into a good fighter.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Especially when you consider its Squeenix they're talking about here.
And,he was only in one game,Chain of Memories,where he didnt even affect the plot,was only in one world,and the only way he affect gameplay is a summon card.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Squall acts at the age of 21 like a teenager goin through puberty,runing away form girls and being anti-social.
Fix'd.

Barret was a huge stereotype,he'd go around swearing and shooting everywhere because he could
And that's why I love black people. :bee:

@Cheif,tons of other RPG's where made before its time,the only thing amazing "For its time" where thr graphics and I think sound quality.
Though,the graphics are terrible,Cloud doesnt have elbows or even fingers outside of battle.
There weren't too many jRPGs set in a modern/post-modern world, hardly any fully-3D ones, and none that used pre-rendered CGi like VII did.

I dare you to find an RPG made in the past five years that lacks CGi cutscenes.

Kiyosuki said:
The thing about so called "overrated" games is they're usually controvertial for a reason. As much as people violently love or hate a game like FFVII fact is that it really did change a couple of things no matter how you personally feel about the game. Overrated I don't think necessarilly spells a bad game, I say in some ways FFVI is a little overrated but that doesn't make it bad by any means.
AKA Sacred Cow Syndrome.

When a good game gets the kind of mainstream access VII had, it's almost inevitable that it'll be put on too high of a pedestal. You'd have a hard time convincing 99% of any high school's student body that Halo 3 and Guitar Hero aren't the best games of all time.

I'm still sticking to my guns on GTA3 though. It did in fact modernize the genre, but even given that, the game was still bad. The actual "sandbox" wasn't at all well done. By any standards, and especially not when compared to precedents.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
i still want Ryu.
Ryu would be an interesting character since he pretty much represents the epitome of traditional fighting series, and seeing a character that plays like one from a traditional fighter would be interesting. However, Mega Man gets priority over him. Though if my philosphy about cycling guest characters out for each Smash installment were to become law, then Ryu can be Capcom's rep for Smash 5.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
We talked about Ryu like, way back. Mega Man has the higher nostalgic value but Ryu represents traditional fighting games, which is one of the video game genres ironically unrepresented completely in this series so far. I just think it'd be pretty interesting to see him in this. I'm fine with either of them, but I'm personally much closer to fighters than I ever was with the Mega Man series so you know my stance there. Realistically though Mega Man would probably have slightly higher chances because of his more spread out appeal.

Squall acts at the age of 21 like a teenager goin through puberty,runing away form girls and being anti-social.
Squall was just angry he had to be in that game, and be with a lot of those characters. I can sympathize with the guy.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Fix'd.

And that's why I love black people. :bee:

There weren't too many jRPGs set in a modern/post-modern world, hardly any fully-3D ones, and none that used pre-rendered CGi like VII did.

I dare you to find an RPG made in the past five years that lacks CGi cutscenes.
In Order.
Washu is not amused by Squall bashing :urg:

Mother 0 was the first to be set in modern times,I could be very stubborn and say that it copied off of it.

Again,the graphics.

Mother 3 doesnt have cut-scenes,or do handheld ones not count?
I think Legacy of Kain had better cut-scenes,and it was made before FF7.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ryu would be an interesting character since he pretty much represents the epitome of traditional fighting series, and seeing a character that plays like one from a traditional fighter would be interesting. However, Mega Man gets priority over him. Though if my philosphy about cycling guest characters out for each Smash installment were to become law, then Ryu can be Capcom's rep for Smash 5.
Unless of course...
SSB4 has no limit on 3rd party characters
. :X

I actually think a Slime would be an awesome character. If anybody's ever played Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime on the DS, you'd know why...

@'Washu: Graphics were super, super important in the mid-90s. Nothing else to say about that, man

Obviously, if the hardware can't naturally produce 3D cutscenes, then no, it doesn't count. Also LoK isn't a jRPG. Neither did it render much in polygonal 3D.

Anyway, discussion dropped, if'n you don't mind?

smashbot226

Smash Master
We talked about Ryu like, way back. Mega Man has the higher nostalgic value but Ryu represents traditional fighting games, which is one of the video game genres ironically unrepresented completely in this series so far. I just think it'd be pretty interesting to see him in this. I'm fine with either of them, but I'm personally much closer to fighters than I ever was with the Mega Man series so you know my stance there.
Ryu represents the quintessence OF fighting games.

He's like, the King of Fighting Games.

The Mario of them All.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Megaman has priority over a lot of third-parties. In fact, I've never seen someone beg for Ryu(not saying much). You know who else I've never heard for? Leon(Resident Evil, the epitome of all that is residently evil).

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Nah, Leon's not the epitome of RE. He's just popular.

It's either Chris or Jill, Jill more so.

Ryu represents the quintessence OF fighting games.

He's like, the King of Fighting Games.

The Mario of them All.
I...kinda said that. lol

But yeah, that's the thing. There's representatives for action games, platformers, RPGs, adventure games, strategy games, simulation (driving/flight) games, and hell even puzzle games but not one single person who represents fighting games and I can't really think of a better rep than Ryu.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Unless of course...
SSB4 has no limit on 3rd party characters
. :X

I actually think a Slime would be an awesome character. If anybody's ever played Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime on the DS, you'd know why...
I am glad that you agree with Slime would make a great representative for Enix. Heck, Mario and Slime starred in a game together before Sonic and Mario did.

Personally, I feel there are quite a few Nintendo characters that deserve to be in. After Smash 5 though, I definitely think more emphasis on guests should be considered. However, there are quite a few series that have yet to get a playable character in Smash Bros.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
You know who else I've never heard for? Leon(Resident Evil, the epitome of all that is residently evil).
Wesker > Leon.

...Or at least, until Degeneration comes out. I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT

Anyway...Leon actually had a thread or two devoted to him pre-Brawl, but he's understandably not well-supported, as his moveset would be really hard to do without using, y'know...
bullets

EDIT - Okay, I can't actually read Japanese, but I'm assuming that's an Itadaki Street game, right?

...Those games blow. I mean, really. SERIOUSLY. ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Nah, Leon's not the epitome of RE. He's just popular.

It's either Chris or Jill, Jill more so.
Never played the game so I was just assuming. And, I was saying Resident Evil is the epitome of all things residently evil, so yeah.
Edit:Hey, this thread is moving pretty fast, isn't it?

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
@'Washu: Graphics were super, super important in the mid-90s. Nothing else to say about that, man

Obviously, if the hardware can't naturally produce 3D cutscenes, then no, it doesn't count. Also LoK isn't a jRPG. Neither did it render much in polygonal 3D.

Anyway, discussion dropped, if'n you don't mind?
if you say so about the graphics...

Chain of Memories had a 3d cut scene in the opening,so it does have the potential to have 3d cutscnes.
Also,all 3 of the Disgaea's dont have cutscenes.

Discussion status:over

Also.I've never played RE4 either.:ohwell:

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Wesker > Leon.

...Or at least, until Degeneration comes out. I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT

Anyway...Leon actually had a thread or two devoted to him pre-Brawl, but he's understandably not well-supported, as his moveset would be really hard to do without using, y'know...
bullets

EDIT - Okay, I can't actually read Japanese, but I'm assuming that's an Itadaki Street game, right?

...Those games blow. I mean, really. SERIOUSLY. ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.
Well they did manage to somehow make Jill's moveset in MvC2 very light on the guns somehow so it's not impossible. But I think RE characters in Smash Brothers is downright laughable. Even before SSBB I'd be able to have a much easier time seeing Solid Snake in it than any survival horror character.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
4's a fantastic action game, you should definitely try it sometime if you ever get the chance.

the gamecube remake of the original RE is also great if you want a bit of the old style. It's scary as hell.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
darkserenade said:
Edit:Hey, this thread is moving pretty fast, isn't it?
It's because I came back from holiday.

That's right. I, Chief Mendez, have done the impossible: revived a thread on an internet forum. If you must bow down in awe (and you must), make sure you don't do so in a crowded walkway; I am a benevolent God, and wish not to impede upon the lives of others not involved.

Kiyosuki said:
But I think RE characters in Smash Brothers is downright laughable. Even before SSBB I'd be able to have a much easier time seeing Solid Snake in it than any survival horror character.
Metal Gear (especiall the Solid games) have that paranormal, extraordinary quality to them enough so that Snake--the guy who exists in a universe where people can: control electricity, ricochet bullets around walls, drive motorcycles up human faces, be ghosts, deflect bullets with a sword, be a f*cking vampire, and cover an enitre crotch with one hand while doing a spread-eagle cartwheel--feasibly fits into the world of Smash Bros.

But Resident Evil is much more firmly rooted in the real world. From the characters and setting to the actual gameplay, it's a much more realistic videogame.

darkserenade said:
No, no I haven't.
YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND ANYMORE!

KumaOso said:
Also, FF8 doesn't have any of that meta-physical crap unless you count the romance theme.
Ah! But it does have an insipid, fragmented plot, a broken combat system, and a mind-numbingly boring disc 3.

So I think that about evens things out.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
It's because I came back from holiday.

That's right. I, Chief Mendez, have done the impossible: revived a thread on an internet forum. If you must bow down in awe (and you must), make sure you don't do so in a crowded walkway; I am a benevolent God, and wish not to impede upon the lives of others not involved.
This is blasphemy! This is MADNESS! This is MENDEZ!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still feel Snake has no place in Smash Bros., and that a Castlevania character would be a much more appropriate representative for Smash Bros.

Also, this topic seems to have become increasingly off-topic.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Also, this topic seems to have becoming increasingly off-topic.
Engrish much? :chuckle:

Yeah well. We're still technically talking about SSB4.
Not
Geno for SSB4.

See?

I definitely want some 'Vania rep in SSB4, but I really, really love me some Snake. Not as much as I love me some Vampire Killing, mind, but still...

darkserenade

Smash Ace
People would get extremely mad if Snake got the boot. And yes, this thread has gotten off-topic, but it happens every once in a while. It's quite entertaining, though.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Junction System is cool...and Squall is a good dancer

Also, this topic seems to have becoming increasingly off-topic.
It's because I came back from holiday. am here.

That's right. I, Chief MendezDarkwashu, have done the impossible: revivedmessed up a thread on an internet forum. If you must bow down in awe (and you must), make sure you don't do so in a crowded walkway; I am a benevolent God, and wish not to impede upon the lives of others not involved.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's necessarilly a matter of realism (laser backflips lol), since they both have sort of exaggerated reality motifs, though the fact Metal Gear has a more fantastic element to it certainly helps. I think it's more just that Snake as a character is more dynamic, prolific, and has a lot more to work with for gameplay than your average RE character. I think MGS3 really helped to show that the Snake character wasn't just about guns (even if it wasn't technically Snake but close enough). The guns were just items, the character was all about his motif of being one hell of a soldier.

And I've sort of grown on Snake being in this game. It's weird at first but after a while it becomes strangely...fitting. I've said way way way back though that I'd be all for Simon Belmont.

Just as long as they finally decide on a decent new look for him. Not even Kojima(not the MG one)'s managed to come up with a cool looking modern Simon, and she made Trevor/Ralph look ridiculously cool.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
It's because I came back from holiday. am here.

That's right. I, Chief MendezDarkwashu, have done the impossible: revivedmessed up a thread on an internet forum. If you must bow down in awe (and you must), make sure you don't do so in a crowded walkway; I am a benevolent God, and wish not to impede upon the lives of others not involved.
This is so confusing.... Forget this, I'm out of here.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Engrish much? :chuckle:

Yeah well. We're still technically talking about SSB4.
Not
Geno for SSB4.

See?

I definitely want some 'Vania rep in SSB4, but I really, really love me some Snake. Not as much as I love me some Vampire Killing, mind, but still...
We'll see. Personally, I feel Snake is loved as he is in Smash due to his brokeness. Prior to Brawl's release, his board on this site was one of the least active and few people seemed to care about him.

People would get extremely mad if Snake got the boot. And yes, this thread has gotten off-topic, but it happens every once in a while. It's quite entertaining, though.
I know a lot of people would be angry. However, if Sakurai were say that he instated a rule about guests only starring in one game, few people would object since most people view Sakurai's judgment as being unquestionable. Also, if Kojima can get rid of Snake in his own series, then why can't the same be done in a series he shouldn't have even been in.

How would you feel if Crono was placed in simply because I feel his game is the the best RPG ever over the most wanted character for Smash 4?

Also, does anyone feel that perhaps Sakurai was picking favorites when balancing the roster?

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
For me it has nothing to do with how good he is in the game, Snake's just a fun character in general. Whether he's being used for really serious things, or more lighthearted and funny things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom