• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
I agree, but the chances of Tales next time are small, since Megaman fanboys will break Mr. Sakurai's door down begging for him. Lloyd would probably be better than Cless and Genis, but what about Emil and Marta?
they seem ok,but they wont seem to fit with SSB,id mainly prefer lloyd because he could be the first twin sword user in smash

darkserenade

Smash Ace
I still think Midna deserves/ed a spot. She was the most helpful sidekick Link ever had, and the whole game basically revolved around her, henceforth the Twilight Princess sub-title. She had a lot of potential in my opinion. Now that I think about it, her crawl could have her turn into a shadow and move around on the floor avoiding any typical straight forward projectiles shot at her, recovery been a twilight warp hole that teleports her in the center of the stage. A very nice recovery to make up for her proposed real light weight and weak physical attacks. Using her hairy third-hand to grab opponents, and some magical properties. She'd also hoover off the ground so she wouldn't set off Snake's D-Smash mines. That's why I got sort of disappointed when I found out Toon Link was the last Zelda representative, where we could have someone a lot more original than a semi-clone of a character already present.

I mean, at least with Toon Link, he could have been much more different by using Bombchus, Deku Leaves (as a glide as well) and Grapple Hook that extended farther out than Link's Hookshot, but no.
Sounds like the prodigy of Metaknight, wouldn't you agree?
they seem ok,but they wont seem to fit with SSB,id mainly prefer lloyd because he could be the first twin sword user in smash
It would be interesting to see Marta, but I agree, Lloyd comes first. Cless would probably be a bit generic, but alt.'s could change hitbox stuff(since he can wield three different types of weapons).

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
There's also Tales of Innocence to consider, if that ever comes out in America. Also the next Mothership title's going to be on Wii, so there's that too.

Lloyd's probably not going to happen though.

ANYWAY.

It has been a while, Official SSB4 Discussion Thread. Whatever happened to you? We used to get together practically every day, but now...you just seem so distant. I feel like I don't even know who you are anymore--like you're a different person, or something.

Marth, Meta-Knight, and Ike all use two swords when they pick up a Beam Saber.

gantrain05

Smash Master
There's also Tales of Innocence to consider, if that ever comes out in America. Also the next Mothership title's going to be on Wii, so there's that too.

ANYWAY.

It has been a while, Official SSB4 Discussion Thread. Whatever happened to you? We used to get together practically every day, but now...you just seem so distant. I feel like I don't even know who you are anymore--like you're a different person, or something.

Lloyd had better not happen, he's so freakin gay i can't stand it, he wins the award for the absolute worst main character in any rpg ever, "thats just my style"..........

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like the prodigy of Metaknight, wouldn't you agree?
I think you're referring to my Toon Link idea? Perhaps, but I envisioned his Grapple Hook to work in a similar fashion like ZSSamus' Plasma Wire to recover if he's below the stage's edge since he wouldn't have multiple air-jumps like Metaknight. That, and he would still have projectiles as well. Meanwhile, his Deku Leaf would act like F.L.U.D.D. and Watergun that pushes enemies away with more intensity, but if the B button is held down, he would glide with it in the air instead at the same speed as Mr. Game&Watch's parachute glide, so I would've considered him pretty different from Metaknight still.

darkserenade

Smash Ace

Lloyd, Emil, and Cless have better chances, but the hero of Hearts might bring a good one too, seeing as it's on the DS.
ANYWAY.

Yeah, it has been a while.
You expect us to play with items!? THIS IS MADNESS!

Also, Darky Dee, I was actually talking about Midna.

gantrain05..... You can't be serious.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Lloyd had better not happen, he's so freakin gay i can't stand it, he wins the award for the absolute worst main character in any rpg ever, "thats just my style"..........
O RLY?

darkserenade said:
the hero of Hearts might bring a good one too, seeing as it's on the DS.
I don't count Tales of Hearts anymore. I refuse to buy a game like that from any company, no matter how good it is.
(Says the kid who bought the Gamecube and Wii versions of Twilight Princess)

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
I suppose, being able to pursue opponent off the edge and always be able to recover (with the Twilit rift teleportation) would be stellar, but it compensates for her lack of mobility and speed-- something Metaknight has a lot of. I would also assume after her Teleport move, she would be in a helpless state when falling back on land.

As far as Tales of series, I think Namco would offer some staple character that would always stick around in the series, rather than ever-changing cast of characters like Final Fantasy, Tales of and so fourth. I would make an exception to characters like a Black Mage since they will always be around, unless they're some icon like Sephiroth, which I am sure Lloyd definitely isn't. But by the time he next Smash game is out, Lloyd would be a fad of yesturyear. Nightmare, Siegfried, Ivy, KOS-MOS, and Pac-man come to mind.

Sorry for my continuous editing--

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
I suppose, being able to pursue opponent off the edge and always be able to recover (with the Twilit rift teleportation) would be stellar, but it compensates for her lack of mobility and speed-- something Metaknight has a lot of. I would also assume after her Teleport move, she would be in a helpless state when falling back on land.

As far as Tales of series, I think Namco would offer some staple character that would always stick around in the series, rather than ever-changing cast of characters like Final Fantasy, Tales of and so fourth. I would make an exception to characters like a Black Mage since they will always be around. But by the time he next Smash game is out, Lloyd would be on last year's fad. Nightmare, Siegfried, Ivy, KOS-MOS, and Pac-man come to mind.

Sorry for my continuous editing--
lolpacman

i wanna see more japan olny characters in that way more of their games will come to the U.S

seiken densetsu anyone?

truendymion

Smash Cadet
I'd love to see Knuckles and or Tails, King K. Rool, Megaman, Battletoads, Knuckle Joe, and Gray Fox as playable characters! Killer Instinct characters would be cool but I know thats impossible!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The Mana series is out-shined by other franchises; I doubt that can compete with Square's bread and butter.
Seiken Densetsu 3 is basically the best game Squaresoft ever made, but yeah, I agree.

Square-Enix representation in Smash Bros. is touchy though, as the company doesn't really have a mascot character, per se. Sure, there's Chocobo, but not only is that a confused term (Chocobos are a species, but there are also games that star a single Chocobo), it also only represents Square, not Enix.

Personally I'd be fine if they weren't given any spots on the roster, though.

Nightmare, Siegfried, Ivy, KOS-MOS, and Pac-man come to mind.
KOS-MOS for the win, baby.

...Is what I'd like to say, but Xenosaga I+II is still (and probably always will be) Japan-only, which is the only time she's shown up on a Nintendo console.

I'm against Pac-Man, as his last good game came out over two decades ago.

Siegfried or Nightmare is a distinct possibility, though. Ivy's a bit...risque for Smash Bros., and besides that: Nightmare's the most prominent Soul Calibur character.

Don't forget Klonoa, though. There's a pseudo-mascot character that fits well in Smash Bros., stars in consistently good games, and is familiar enough with Nintendo systems.

truendymion said:
I'd love to see Knuckles and or Tails, King K. Rool, Megaman, Battletoads, Knuckle Joe, and Gray Fox as playable characters!
Gray Fox, you say?

That's the first time I've heard Battletoads mentioned. As they haven't had a game in, like, forever, I doubt it. Also they're Rare characters, and we all know how that goes...

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I just gotta add a vouche for how awesome an idea air-grabbing is.

Since the subject's come up, if any Square character...and you know it would be an FF character, ever got into this, I've always thought the best choice would be the Warrior of Light. He's the cool looking horn-helmet wearing guy that's in Dissidia. He's supposed to be an algamation of all the jobs in the very first FF to my understanding, though primarilly the fighter of course. Because of that I think he has the most "timeless" quality for a game like this.

Though if it were up to me, Cecil (hot off IV remake) or Terra Branford would be it.

I know the VII people are the fan favorites, but while Snake got in he did have a major game on the Gamecube and other scatterings on Nintendo systems, Cloud makes something of a cameo appearance in Chains of Memories. I just don't think it's enough, unless they abandon the Nintendo system only thing and go all out or something. Though to be honest I'm also pretty VII'ed out.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Please, someone answer me, why is air-grabbing awesome?
BECAUSE IT IS

It would (in theory) make mid-air clashes deeper. You couldn't air-dodge an air-grab, so you'd want to use an aerial attack, as every aerial would have higher priority than air-grabs. However, your opponent might be expecting you to do so, and will counter by using a higher-priority attack against your aerial. In simpler terms, it'd create a true rock-paper-scissors mechanic in the air that isn't present in Brawl. Aerial ~beats~ Grab ~beats~ Dodge ~beats~ Aerial, etc.)

I'm not so hot on the way Squeenix has been throwing the FFVII name on any pile of CG-rendered/badly made crap they can sell to the idiot fanboys who still can't get over how motherlovin' bada** Sephiroth is--I mean, he's got long silver hair, a samurai sword, and there's a cutscene where he's surrounded by fire.

BEST. VILLAIN. EVER.

/rant

Light Warrior might work, but he was only in one game, so...

smashbot226

Smash Master
I'm not so hot on the way Squeenix has been throwing the FFVII name on any pile of CG-rendered/badly made crap they can sell to the idiot fanboys who still can't get over how motherlovin' bada** Sephiroth is--I mean, he's got long silver hair, a samurai sword, and there's a cutscene where he's surrounded by fire.
Screw my Brawl Card, I'm quoting this:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sephiroth is not even the best villain of the PS1 Final Fantasies (Kuja beats him) let alone the entire series (Kefka takes the cake as one of the most sadistic villains). All Sephy has going for him is his design and hailing from FFVII. I would go as far to say that Sephiroth is a poor villain.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Personally I'd put Golbez and Kefka on the same level, but that's just me.

On the PSX though, Kuja...really wasn't that great either. I don't even remember who the main villain in VIII was. Sephiroth's probably the better of the three, but that's not saying much.

I'd really like a FF game with a generic, all-consuming evil, like the good ol' days of Exdeath and Zemus. I'd also like a FF game that's raises the bar/sets a benchmark for other RPGs to measure up to in an area besides graphics.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Sephiroth is not even the best villain of the PS1 Final Fantasies (Kuja beats him) let alone the entire series (Kefka takes the cake as one of the most sadistic villains). All Sephy has going for him is his design and hailing from FFVII. I would go as far to say that Sephiroth is a poor villain.
Sephiroth: All he has is a good theme song.

And he runs around in a black trenchcoat and appeared in a game where he

ZOMG KILLZ AERIS!

That's his only IMPORTANT role.

Kefka is better. At everything.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally I'd put Golbez and Kefka on the same level, but that's just me.

On the PSX though, Kuja...really wasn't that great either. I don't even remember who the main villain in VIII was. Sephiroth's probably the better of the three, but that's not saying much.

I'd really like a FF game with a generic, all-consuming evil, like the good ol' days of Exdeath and Zemus. I'd also like a FF game that's raises the bar/sets a benchmark for other RPGs to measure up to in an area besides graphics.
In case anyone actually thinks Sephiroth is an amazing villain, read this topic (yeah I know GameFAQs lol):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=213&topic=44517945

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
BECAUSE IT IS

It would (in theory) make mid-air clashes deeper. You couldn't air-dodge an air-grab, so you'd want to use an aerial attack, as every aerial would have higher priority than air-grabs. However, your opponent might be expecting you to do so, and will counter by using a higher-priority attack against your aerial. In simpler terms, it'd create a true rock-paper-scissors mechanic in the air that isn't present in Brawl. Aerial ~beats~ Grab ~beats~ Dodge ~beats~ Aerial, etc.)

BEST. VILLAIN. EVER.

/rant

Light Warrior might work, but he was only in one game, so...
Yeah but it was the technically the first game of the entire thing. That counts for a lot. Plus they're not so much characters as they are the foundations for the archetypes the FF series is built on. The Fighter, the Black Mage etc. He's like all of that wrapped into one.

Hell, job changing could maybe be an interesting gameplay mechanic to try.

I'm not about to jump fully into anything with the name Sephiroth attached to it, I know where that goes. I'll just say though I think he's a decent villain, I liked him but not for the same reasons a lot of others seemed to like him. At the time I thought he was an interestingly ironic cerebral styled villain, he may not have had a high body count, or took over a kingdom but in the context of the games' story his place was sort of interesting. Granted I think it was cheapened a bit as of Advent Children but whatever.

The you know what-storm surrounding the character has become so ridiculous and nonsensical though that he's now simultaneously the most overrated AND underated video game character of all time bar none. Hense why I'm bailing out of this now.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Sephiroth..... Is only known for a good theme(there are better though). Like others said before, he isn't gamebreaking. His sword is incredibly stupid-looking, and his nose is huge. Not much here. Off the top of my head, a much cooler final boss comes to mind.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Woooooow. Exactly how I was envisioning it. Does it really have to have spoiler tags on it?

Warrior of Light would be cool. Final Fantasy Dissidia exaggerates him to be even cooler than his un-personal character in the original, which is still cool, but his identity is really generic. Some people are against generic characters-- like EGM was ranting how Pokemon Trainer and Ike being very bland(?).

Not that I really push for Sephiroth to be in Brawl, but he is an icon in pop culture-- so I can't see an actual Final Fantasy character get in more than him, which I still doubt. That's why I was sort of insinuating it would probably be something well-known-- a staple of the franchise like a moogle or black mage since they don't need to be recognized as personalized characters like Kefka, Kuja, Sephiroth, Cloud, and so fourth. Choosing which one of those characters can be a chore. Then fanboys would ***** why Vaan, Cecil, or Locke weren't selected if one besides the one they wanted was selected.

KOS-MOS is max win material. I can already imagine her Final Smash being her X-Buster.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Sephiroth is know for being in the most overrated game EVER.

Smashbott showed the real most badass boss,Kefka.
Call me biased,but my fave villain has to be Masked Man,well hes not really a bad guy,so eh.

Companion Cube for SSB4

And,I like Squall,hes so awesome..cant want to use him Smash FF version,I mean Dissidia.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Woooooow. Exactly how I was envisioning it. Does it really have to have spoiler tags on it?

Warrior of Light would be cool. Final Fantasy Dissidia exaggerates him to be even cooler than his un-personal character in the original, which is still cool, but his identity is really generic. Some people are against generic characters-- like EGM was ranting how Pokemon Trainer and Ike being very bland(?).

Not that I really push for Sephiroth to be in Brawl, but he is an icon in pop culture-- so I can't see an actual Final Fantasy character get in more than him, which I still doubt. That's why I was sort of insinuating it would probably be something well-known-- a staple of the franchise like a moogle or black mage since they don't need to be recognized as personalized characters like Kefka, Kuja, Sephiroth, Cloud, and so fourth. Choosing which one of those characters can be a chore. Then fanboys would ***** why Vaan, Cecil, or Locke weren't selected if one besides the one they wanted was selected.

which is another big reason why I think the Light Warrior would be very fitting, EGM can say whatever they want. The Light Warrior is like an embodiment of Final Fantasy as a whole, rather than a representative from one particular installment of the series. If he could change his job as a gameplay mechanic in a fight that would add to that even more.

It's the most fitting but it doesn't of course have the same personal touch that taking someone more individually prolific from one of the later installments would have, but then you'll never satisfy everyone because each game's like a world onto itself. No matter what it wouldn't be an easy series to include because of it's non-centralized nature.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

Now THERE's a secret boss that doesn't disappoint...
BAH

Satan's the best "secret" boss in any jRPG.
Also SMRPG is dumb and silly.

Kiyosuki said:
I'll just say though I think he's a decent villain, I liked him but not for the same reasons a lot of others seemed to like him. At the time I thought he was an interestingly ironic cerebral styled villain, he may not have had a high body count, or took over a kingdom but in the context of the games' story his place was sort of interesting. Granted I think it was cheapened a bit as of Advent Children but whatever.

The you know what-storm surrounding the character has become so ridiculous and nonsensical though that he's now simultaneously the most overrated AND underated video game character of all time bar none. Hense why I'm bailing out of this now.
Wow, that's awesome. You just took all my thoughts and feelings on the subject and, rather eloquently, put them to pen/message board. Qdos to you, buddy. :)

Like I said, I like Sephiroth: he had a understandable reason to want to blow up the earth, he has a cool design, all his backstory was neat and cool, and he was a decent challenge.

What I don't like is the absurd over-devotion that many gamers hold towards him. The last time GameFAQs Character Battle saw him beat Ganondorf by a landslide. And how Advent Children/Kingdom Hearts/Crisis Core have all basically decided that, no, he's not just a highly skilled, genetically-enhanced soldier whose mind collapsed under the incomprehensible weight of his origins, but rather, he's like, the incarnation of the darkness in Cloud's heart, or some sh*t.

Wtf Square. Wtf.

/rant

Darkwashu said:
Sephiroth is know for being in the most overrated game EVER.
I'm...fairly certain he wasn't in Grand Theft Auto III...:ohwell:

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
People call FF7 the greatest game of all time,perfection,classic,best everything,and the list goes on.

I played it,the circle button took great abuse.
The best part is its soundtrack,the only character I liked was Red XIII

darkserenade

Smash Ace
BAH

Objection(perfect prosector Edgeworth style)! How can a secret boss be measured when there might be a secret secret boss, waiting to defeat the original secret boss?!

What I don't like is the absurd over-devotion that many gamers hold towards him. The last time GameFAQs Character Battle saw him beat Ganondorf by a landslide. And how Advent Children/Kingdom Hearts/Crisis Core have all basically decided that, no, he's not just a highly skilled, genetically-enhanced soldier whose mind collapsed under the incomprehensible weight of his origins, but rather, he's like, the incarnation of the darkness in Cloud's heart, or some sh*t.

Wtf Square. Wtf.

/rant
Three cheers for the truth(and Chief.... but which Chief?Chief Mendez? Mia Fey?Master Chief?)!
Shows what you know.
If you are reading this, then you are reading this.

smashbot226

Smash Master
People call FF7 the greatest game of all time,perfection,classic,best everything,and the list goes on.

And Vincent.

He was Shadow to Cloud's Sonic, IMO.

Because Sonic isn't trying to kill Shadow with murderous intent.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
which is another big reason why I think the Light Warrior would be very fitting, EGM can say whatever they want. The Light Warrior is like an embodiment of Final Fantasy as a whole, rather than a representative from one particular installment of the series. If he could change his job as a gameplay mechanic in a fight that would add to that even more.

It's the most fitting but it doesn't of course have the same personal touch that taking someone more individually prolific from one of the later installments would have, but then you'll never satisfy everyone because each game's like a world onto itself. No matter what it wouldn't be an easy series to include because of it's non-centralized nature.
I didn't catch the job change feature in your previous post-- Warrior>Black Mage>Ninja like Dissidia's Onion Knight, but I definitely agree regardless. Even so though, now that I think about it. Final Fantasy was first made on the Nintendo console and all that patronage to Nintendo issue would seem fitting.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
BAH

Wow, that's awesome. You just took all my thoughts and feelings on the subject and, rather eloquently, put them to pen/message board. Qdos to you, buddy. :)

Like I said, I like Sephiroth: he had a understandable reason to want to blow up the earth, he has a cool design, all his backstory was neat and cool, and he was a decent challenge.

Wtf Square. Wtf.

/rant

Well, the incarnation of Cloud's inner darkness thing is actually a little closer to what I had in mind. lol

Just really briefly, when I first played VII all the way back in the late 90's Sephiroth struck me as Clouds' perfect thematic block. Everything about him from the look, to his reputation...was all stuff Cloud wanted to be but never could. The whole game's about a guy trying to discover his true self essentially, and when you have this other guy who represents the thing he strived to be but couldn't achieve using that and the main characters' fragile mind to impede him I think you get a decent, personal villain myself. It all kinda comes full circle when you realize at the end when you beat him, that it's only when Cloud has come to terms with himself and vows to do things as himself that he ends up beating the "greatest" soldier.

Another thing that was cool is back then, Sephiroth could have been seen as a genuinly great ironic villain because he tells Cloud stuff like he's a puppet, but he in turn is kind of a puppet himself. The biggest puppet of them all in fact. In that way the cool katana and look is all just intentional hype. Though apparently as of Advent Children the director said that Sephiroth was "totally in control of his own actions", meaning Jenova wasn't controlling him so that's why I say it cheapened it a bit IMO. Though in a way, he's still kind of an interestingly hallow villain. All show, mindgames, and brute power but at the end of the day he's a weak man.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Vincent reminded me of some vampire goth who got into hot topic.
:D

Same with nearly EVERY character in FF7.

-------

Cloud: Let's see, doo dee doo, buying some chains...

Sephiroth: CLOUD?!? Oh sh*t man, I didn't know you shopped here!

Cloud: Sephy? Good to see you man! Why you here?

Sephiroth: It's where I get my wing bleached! How's Aeris?

Cloud: ;_;

Sephiroth: Oh right...

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I must take the classic SMRPG fanboy reaction to that and cover my ears whilst screaming "LALALALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Or I could just say that you're entitlted to your own opinion like an individual with common sense...

EDIT: Oh and uh...Geno for Brawl, I don't care how many of you don't know who he is and I don't care that he's a third party character and I don't care that he's got cult-following fanbase and that he's only been in one game.../sarcasm.

Seriously, I love SMRPG as much as the next guy, maybe even moreso, but I know when to be realistic...Geno's chances are low...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Shows what you know.
If you are reading this, then you are reading this.
OMFG goD DUDE YOU JUSt bLEW MY f*cKIng MIND HOLY SH*T

Darkwashu said:

Yeah, but it was still a good RPG (amazing for the time).

GTA3 is genuinely a bad game that everyone likes because it introduced us to "The Sandbox", and because you can get in a tankandrunoverpeoplethengolikepickupahookerandhavesexwithherthenkillherandgrindachainsawintoherchestfortwentyminutesthentakebackthemoneyyouhiredherwith. The former isn't true, and the latter, no matter how totally bada** it might be, does not a good game make.

It certainly shouldn't warrant all the praise the game still gets. :dizzy:

And...

@Kiyosuki: Hmm. Well, whatever floats yer' boat, I suppose. Personally that's the reason I can't hardly stand most of Square's post-VII stuff; all that silly dark/light/heart/soul/puppet/planet metaphysical bullspit just screams "we have no clue how to write original stories anymore, and really never did (see: Spirits Within)".

EDIT - For the record, the only Mario RPG I actually liked was Superstar Saga, because it was:

A) Actually funny.

B) Challenging.

C) Totally lacking any characters that were to be taken seriously.

But yeah, I realize I'm totally alone in hating the Paper Mario/SMRPG games. Burn me an effigy, baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom